Fantôme Chocolat | Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme
fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by yen157 on 01-16-2005

Having been in the market for a chocolate chile beer and being unable to find the couple I'd heard much about, I settled for this when I came across a bottle in Bella Vino's a while back. After letting it refrigerate properly for a day or two, I opened it up and drank it. And I must say that this by far the worst beer I've ever had. I cannot begin to describe quite how awful this was. Be it the smell (a mix a puke, industrial floor cleaner, and more puke) or the taste (a mix of watered down Jalapeno juicy, vomit, toilet water from a British pub, Pepto, grapefruit, and more vomit), it is hard to imagine a worse concoction could exist. Every last sip felt like I was being tortured. And this is coming from somebody who has no major objections to saisons, likes a wide range of Belgian brews, and was excited to try a chocolate chile beer. Unless you're an outright masochist, skip this $15 nausea-inducer.

1.65/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a hazy dark orange with massive off white head. Aroma is bandaids, a bit if spice, and lots of musty yeast. Flavor is acetone and bandaids. A bit of pepper heat. I assume this is not what it is supposed to taste like. It is official. I will never buy another Fantome. 2 for 2 with the disgusting bottles. Down the drain along with my $12...

Rerate on 11/2/14. Pours hazy orange with a big fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of spice, yeast funk, some light fruits, and still a bit of bandaids like last time but not nearly as harsh. Flavor is still rubber bandaids and spice. Nope. Nope nope.

1.75/5  rDev -53.2%

2.02/5  rDev -46%

Thanks to that bad ass mother fucker Ehammond1 for the bottleshare!!

Look Murky orange in color with almost no head and was head there was didnt last long

Smell: The beer smelled of bready yeast and grass

Taste: A bit sour upfront with some vial notes to it kinda like throwing up and that left over acidity in your mouth yeah that is what this beer tasted like with just a hint of cocoa at the end and oh yeah where the fuck are the chili's????

Mouthfeel: Light and highly carbonated and a bit sour and tart

Overall: Honestly this is my first experience with fantome and it is just awful.

2.03/5  rDev -45.7%

Green 750ml bottle with cork shared by Patrick. Amber colour with a white ring of foam around the glass. Some brett on the nose but I was somewhat watery, I'm still searching the chocolate and the chili. Some oxidation is perceptible. The taste: watery and oxidized. An old bottle or a bottle that is going downhill.

2.14/5  rDev -42.8%

Thanks for sharing this one Richard. You've definitely stepped your game up on sharing crappy beers.

A: The pour is a nice amber color with an initially voluminous but soon thin off-white head.

S: Can you say skunked? Lots of skunk which I debated whether or not was just Fantome funk, and decided on nay. Slightly spiced and sweet.

T: Luckily, not as skunky on the palate. Earthy hops, some light lemon tartness, spices, and a really out of place sweetness, might be some milk chocolate.

M: The mouthfeel is probably the best thing about this beer. Light to medium in body with a lively and crisp carbonation.

D: Dear brewers, chocolate and Saisons do not go together (see: Fantome Chocolat and Bullfrog Magic Beans). This was not good.

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

2.29/5  rDev -38.8%

Thanks to Ehammond1 for the bottleshare!
Pours Hazy peachy-copper color with a short white head very Low retention. And I got the dregs so mine was extra cloudy.

The nose is not the most pleasant. Brett. Sour pear. No chocolate or chili.

Flavor fallls short as well. No chocolate or chili characteristics which is very disappointing. Just bitter and sour fruit.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with Medium-High carbonation. Bitter.

Overall it was a big disappointment not just for me but for all of us in the bottleshare. None of the flavor characteristics shine through that it says it's made with like chocolate and chilis. I think they put the wrong label on the bottle?? Not a fan.

2.46/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Bottle

Port Bottle Shop
Carlsbad, CA

Hazy golden orange with a very thin off-white head. This beer leaves tiny spots of lacing down the glass, though there isn't much there.

Grass, hay, a strong funk, and some white fruit combine. If I try really hard, I can convince myself there's a hint of bitter chocolate in the nose, but that may just be my imagination. There's a strong vomit aroma that I can't get past.

Funky yeast, bread, grass, and an unpleasant sour acidity make up this beer's flavor. Again, there might be just a hint of bitter, old chocolate on the finish, but it's certainly faint if it's there at all. Unfortunately, vomit flavors dominate.

Thin to medium bodied with low carbonation.

This was one of the most disappointing beers I've had to date. After enjoying every Fantome iteration before this one, I got giddy when I saw this bottle in the store. What an absolute letdown.

2.48/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Totally tasteless, no traces of chocolate neither chili.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.53/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of a 750ml bottle into a Blue Point Snifter

A: Poured a 2 finger coarse white head the dissipated quickly and left little lacing. Brew was a dark almost reddish pink.

S: Skunky with a touch of sour fruit and yeast.

T: Skunky, earthy and sour throughout and ended the same but with a slight touch of hops. Left little to no aftertaste.

M: Light to medium bodied, coarse, and very carbonated. Finish was crisp and quick.

D: I wouldn't have this again. Maybe because I don't like the Saison style but if I wanted a tasty brew, I'd go with Southhampton's Saison. Really not impressed.

2.55/5  rDev -31.8%

I am drinking a 750 mL bottle purchased today from a Devil's Milk snifter. The ale is at room temperature.

Appearance: Deep orange in color, this ale is hazy with fine yeast sediment suspended therein. The ale pours with a decent head of one finger's length. The ale retains its head nicely and leaves a pleasant looking lace.

Smell: The ale has a yeasty, natural smell that I expect from a saison. The label advertises cocoa and chili pepper, neither of which I can detect.

Taste: The ale has the gamey taste of a saison but that yeasty flavor that one expects from a saison is cut short. The natural flavor gives way to a very light chocolate taste that does not last long. Portions of the yeasty taste linger and fade into a sensation of heat that tells me the chili peppers really are there.

Mouthfeel: The ale sits on the tongue without any spectacular or negative happenings.

Drinkability: Outside of the novelty of a chocolate and chili pepper saison, there is not a great deal here to enjoy. Stick to Fantome's other offerings. Not recommended.

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

This pours out as a muddy looking brown color with a ton of sediment in there. The head came and went. The smell was a little bit like a farmhouse ale but had some other funky stuff going on in there too. The taste was earthy and kind of bland. I'm not sure why but this beer just doesn't really set off many alarms for me on the taste and smell. The mouthfeel is a bit watery without much carbonation. Perhaps this was a bad bottle but overall I found this to be a very boring brew. I'd try it again if it was from somewhere where it's going to be fresh.

Fantôme Chocolat from Brasserie Fantôme