Fantôme Chocolat | Brasserie Fantôme

fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by yen157 on 01-16-2005

3.26/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Out of a 750ml corked and capped bottle. Pours a hazy golden straw color with a pure white soapy head that left some lacing on the glass. The aroma is buttery, not what I expect from the style, ever. There are some sour funk notes but I can't get over the buttery aroma. The taste has some of the buttery note but that is quickly washed away by more of the traditional fantome saison funk flavor; some lemon and a touch of vinegar. There seems to be a light sweet fruity aspect in the end. I didn't pick up much horse blanket or the chile or cocoa. The feel is light to moderate with soft to tingly carbonation, has an overall tart feel on the palate. Not a great start to this brew but it finishes better. Needs to have more of the saison flavor pop through. I didn't pick up any of the cocoa or chile flavors whatsoever. Perhaps a slight tingle of heat from the chile. Probably the most disappointing of the fantome brews that I have sampled.

3.27/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a large, thick, foamy head atop a brownish/yellowish body. Very cloudy, almost like dishwater (which is not as bad as it sounds). The head dies very quickly and barely reemerges upon agitation.

Aromas of dirt and grass, with a little spiciness from the chili peppers. The overall smell is typical Saison, so no surprises here.

Flavors are dirty, sour, and slightly hoppy. It's pretty good in the beginning, if not interesting, but then it goes south in intensity. The mouthfeel is thinner, almost un-substantive.

There should be more here (e.g., chocolate, cocoa, chili, etc.), but I think Fantome became overly ambitious with Chocolat and didn't create a more refined product. It's not terrible, but compared with its other offerings such as the original, the Hiver, and the Printemps, this is satisfactory at best.

3.31/5  rDev -12.2%

Body is cloudy honey. There's more lacing here than than on a fancy dress. Nose shouts of black pepper, vanilla orange, and funk.

The taste gives me pause ... the name is Chocolat ... I could handle not smelling it, or even seeing a dark body to reassure me that this was a chocolatey beer as the name implied ... but not tasting it is inexcusable. I know others here have remarked that they tasted it, but I don't ... not even slightly. It's decent for a Saison, with hints of unsweetened orange, very minor spiciness and an aftertaste that reminds me of licking the concrete of a musty basement floor ... but no chocolate. Honestly even if this was just a Saison with no promise of chocolate I still wouldn't be that impressed. Unless it were drastically cheaper than what I paid for it. Even then I'd still probably pay a dollar or two more to buy something more memorable.

3.32/5  rDev -11.9%

A yellow, golden beer which is a little murky. The head is thin and has big bubbles.

Smell is slightly tart with light corky whiffs. The yeast adds horseblanket and some flowery notes.

Taste is light tart. The typical Fantome yeast leaves it's print and gives the ussual tartness and Brett flavors. There are some honey notes.
Body is quite thin. The name of the beer refers to the use of cacoa powder. I tried to pick this up, but there is not even a trace of cacao, not even in the bottom part, might it have sacked out. The yeast is still unique, but this beer lacks the special twist that Fantome beers ussually have.

3.32/5  rDev -11.9%

This is my first time reviewing a beer, so I'll do my best.

I picked this one up at Vendome in North Hollywood

A: Pours a cloudy orange-brown with little head. From the appearance it looks like a complex beer.

S: Lemon, grass, sour notes. I get neither cocoa or chili.

T: Sour throughout, pepper, spices, citrus. Alcohol is well hidden. Still no chocolate or chili.

M: Light/Medium body with noticeable carbonation. Actually kind of boring.

D: Easy to drink and like I said the alcohol is well concealed. Just not very tasty so it's not like I want to keep drinking.

I was really looking forward to this one. Overall this one was a disappointment. I couldn't detect any of the chocolate that was advertised. This one was actually very unique, unfortunately it was still pretty boring.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

WTF? Fantome is hit and miss, and this is largely a miss. Bordering on cloyingly sweet and mostly dominated by the flavor and aroma of wet cigarets. Not undrinkable, but it makes me question the fact that I will certainly still buy the next new Fantome I see.

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

A: This poured a cloudy copper with moderate white head. Surprisingly light.
S: It smelled like strong lager yeast with some grassy hops. No chocolate detectable.
T: It tasted like very tart and dry herbal hops (grass and dandelions) with sour lager yeast. It had a super sour aftertaste too. Like a spiced Heineken saison. Definitely no chocolate.
M: It was light and very bubbly, almost like champagne.
D: This was a decent sour saison, but I really couldn't figure out why it's called Chocolat. Very bitter and sour and tart, with no sweetness. The yeast didn't seem right either, and added a sour element that made it difficult to drink. An interesting experience, but probably not worth the purchase price.

3.39/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance - cloudy hefe-like yellow. Two fingers of very white foam appear quickly. Bubbles are everywhere. Beads of varying speeds coming from below, creating a great multi-layer visual.

Aroma - mild grains, mild mustiness. Just enough farmhouse scent to let you know what it is, but no chocolate yet.

Taste - a difficult beer to describe. Graininess and mild tartness/funkiness, fairly palatable to me. The swallow has some hop balance to show, also quite good. But I'm not detecting the chocolate. At times I think I am, but if I tasted this blindly I don't think I'd guess there's any chocolate in here. Finishes with the wild yeast and hop residues in good blend with each other, but I feel disappointed for not being able to pick up the chocolate. A tasty saison if nothing else.

Mouthfeel - crisp, lively, with ample carbonation. A smooth element makes it enjoyable to sip.

Drinkability - tasty, but I was looking for something and didn't find it. This is not a style I'd stock anyway, but it's a good beer.

3.42/5  rDev -9.3%

Thanks to FooFaa for sharing this 750ml bottle on 10/18/09.

A - Poured a cloudy yet quite effervescent orangey/cider-esque body with a thin, bubbly off-white head.

S - A hint of pepper, mild sourness and barnyard notes reminiscent of wet hay comprise the initial aroma. However, Mr. Chocolate appears to be incognito. So I guess the Fantome moniker that preceeds the name of this brew is quite fitting, eh?

T - The name of this beer is certainly quite deceiving. There is nothing about this brew that even remotely resembles chocolate. Some musty, earthy notes appear in the middle and last through to the backend. Finishes with a hint of peppery spice and mild heat.

M - Light bodied with bubbly carbonation and a hint of sourness on the palate. Finishes with a slight peppery sting on the tip of the tongue.

D - Overall, I found this to be a fairly average saison with a rather peculiar name. The spicy and sour notes are much more prominent than any other flavors that come out in this brew, which makes me wonder why Fantome didn't name this beer Sweet & Sour rather than Chocolat.

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"Smells like liquid skunk."

3.44/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle I brought to share at Wowcoolman's tasting.

Pours a murky orange-brown with a foamy beige head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, smoke, band-aid, and baby wipe aromas. Taste is much the same with slightly sour smoke and fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of smoke bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some odd aromas and flavors that may not be intended but somehow aren't all that bad.

3.46/5  rDev -8.2%

I notice they've added a small description to the front of their labels which is great because that was one thing I felt would improve their marketability. Pours to an amber brown color with great head and head retention with not much lacing (enjoyed this with fellow beer advocate neenerzig).

There's a sweet/sourness that hits very briefly then the flavor of the peppers come in. Being the pepper expect that I am, I am going to say that they used Cayenne peppers. The bite is almost identical to Cayennes. Not really hot but it does have a little bite. I barely (and use the word "barely" is stretching it) tasted the cocoa on the back end. For having cocoa so predominantly featured on the label, this falls very, very short. Dry after taste. This is a good session beer but not what's advertised.

~Jonathan Passow

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

Very interested to try a saison that was brewed with chocolate powder and chili peppers.

Appearance- Pours a hazy, read ale hue with more Belgian like carbonation, adn head and lacing, and retention for that matter. Love the lacing actually. The head could have done and has been better from this touted brewery.

Smell- Not the aroma of chili or chocolate that I was expecting, but then again, I never get what I expect from this brewery. Thats why I keep buying their beers. Anyways, Very light hints if chocolate picked up with some oddball spicey tht isn't just herbal that I can only assume is the chilis. I was hoping for a little ore emphasis on the odd mix of ingredients.

Taste- Starts with a tart mocha, saison-like mocha of course, with hints of normal herbs and spices with a hint of something "spicey". I think the muted, almost unknown elements of this beer. Make it so unique. Where a lot of American brewers may overdue special ingredients, the Belgians keep it muted, or subtle.

Mouthfeel- Was hoping for a more spicey feeling tongue, but alas. The muted shocalte was the only saving grace for an otherwise great saison.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Sedimented deep golden, very foamy, long lasting-head. Sweet creamy nose. Accessible banana esters makes way for mango and various passion fruit. Extremely doughy nature which doesn’t feel so fantôme-ish. Coriander and sage hints remain light, but it has indeniable rustic charms that are quite appealing. Light flavours, diplomatic and easy to drink. Herbal, honeyish and doughy. Very soft hops, drying the palate a beer in a sawdust fashion. Smooth mouthfeel, lighter carbonation than average Belgian beer. Slightly oily tang. Good stuff, but hardly marginal in the fantôme line-up.

Fantôme Chocolat from Brasserie Fantôme