Fantôme Chocolat | Brasserie Fantôme

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by yen157 on 01-16-2005

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Reviews: 231 | Ratings: 351

Appearence: Pours a glowing light red with a nice bleach white head. Little carbonation.

Smell: Has the normal Fantome smells, hay and grass and farmhouse, but no Chocolate.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Chocolate? Where? It tastes basically like regular Fantome, with the tiniest roasted nuts and cocae flavors, but mostly sweet and bubbly saison. I feel let down. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonated.

Drinkability and Overall: It's fine as a saison, but chocolate, I don't think so. It just has a very small cocoa flavor, that's it. I feel mislead, because if it didn't claim to be a saison with chocolate, it'd be much better. Oh well you win some, you lose some...

Sampled @ Le Mondial 2005. 750ml bottle, big-ass double pour of maybe 12oz? Dark ruddy, muddy brown with bits of yeast, flecks and all sort of solid matter floating about. I guess I got the dregs or the bottle has been stored on it's side and shaken up a bit. Aromas are good, but no chocolate is found as far as I am concerned. This is a pretty straight forward saison with crisp pepper hops and a nice dinner roll malt base. Taste is more spicy and complex than the aromas make one believe, but this is still relatively "bland" for a Fantome brew. The chocolate is their more as a slight flavor hint and afterimage than anything else. I burped up one or two hershey burps after consuming this one. Freshness seems to be key with this one as well, even though many other Fantomes age well, I've heard quite a few complains about old, and even more bland bottles of this particular brew. Mouthfeel is medium bodied>thick with yeasty chunks and the like. Drinkability remains good, and this is interesting enough to keep the drinker happy and satisified. At around $10 a bottle much cheaper in the south-eastern PA market than the other two "newer" Fantome brews to have invaded our area lately (Strange Ghost and Black Ghost). Quite nice, but not really chocolat-y enough to warrant the current name tag.

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Presentation: 750ml, corked and capped. Had it at Delirium Cafe in Brussels. It was the only bar I had gone to that actually had any Fantome. The ghost is there along with a large cacao pod on one side of the label. It was served room temp, and the bartender if I wanted a bucket of ice, I passed, because I want to taste this beer.

Appearance: A crystal clear and bright golden orange. Large bone white head left an incredible amount of lacing as the head slowly dissapated.

Smell: Where's the chocolat? Much like other Fantome products, a lighty nutty yeastiness with a lightly spicy phenol and hops came though.

Taste: Where's the chocolat?
Has that spicy and very subtle phenol saison spicy. It has a very subtle blend of flavors which were hard to pick out. It was light and refreshing. After you swallow though, something special happens. Here comes the chocolate. A chocolate and roasty taste begins to appear and grows in intensity. Just as you think more chocolate flavor would come, it begins to fade.

Notes: A very interesting beer. The body is thin, but I like that quality in a saison. Finishes dry. Not what I expected, and in this case, it was a good thing.

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Presentation: Ever since I got my Rabbit Corkscrew, I simply love opening fully corked brews, including any of Fantômes 750ml. Once I removed the large brass colored crown cap, the Rabbit made short work of removing the fresh looking plug from the top of the green glassed 750ml offerings. Milk chocolate brown background silhouettes the cheeky Ghost to the right of the label, whilst a monochrome picture of a cocoa plant sits to the left. 8% CAT.S. Simplistic Soy labeling which appears to have none of the US bollocks on that horrible back label they always add for export.

Appearance: Shocking deep orange body when backlit, turbid but not cloudy, some light rusty brown flashes reflect the light and refract the rays from my desk lamp. Gorgeous looking head, a vanilla colored Vicars collar forms quickly and lasts the duration. Excellent soft dissolved carbonation on the swirl forms a pugnacious deep frothy cap that looks almost perfect as it rises; only the merest imperfection or oversize collapsed bubble breaks the plateau. Looks great.

Nose: Restrained yeasty nose with hints of damp malts and soggy cloth sacks. Feint whiffs of spicy hops and nutmeg mix with old muddy Adidas Samba Trainers (that’s Sneakers for those in the US) and sweaty Jockstraps. Mellow character, but it does have depth and somehow still exhibits that lovely Fantôme quality.

Taste: Difficult to tag anything from the off here, nothing screams at you or leaps out of the glass, yet you know it is a Fantôme. Yeasty malts blend with a soft spicy, lightly acidic citric feel in the back end. Finishes with a played down malt base and a seemingly undetectable “but I know its there” wet farmyard and spicy funky ending.

Mouthfeel: A deep brew that is far from thin, but nor is it thick either. The yeasty tone of this one carries it through to a nice powdery surface whilst the spiced carbonation lends this a very soft fluffy feel with a cuddly and rich depth. It's a real Babe that I love having in my mouth. Curiously, there is little to no chocolate or cocoa in this, for me at least, but I think this is a bonus in a way.

Drinkability: It is as it is, as someone once famous said, yet this really is as it is, a strange let down yet at the same time a pick me up. A let down because it lacks the chocolate I expected, but a real pick me up because I hate chocolate - and so it turned out to be a nice surprise in a self deprecating sado-masochistic way. Enjoyable!

Overall: I love the chance to try any new offering from Dany, and the Chocolat was no exception, such that I paid a little over the odds for the bottle from a NYC Bar on Sunday whilst sharing a rushed last Cask beer with Sir Alex the Imbiber. Even so, somehow I readied and mentally prepared myself for a disappointment, as I’m no lover of chocolate or even sweet things. Thankfully though, I think I can safely say that the “Chocolat” is nowhere to be found here. So for me, this works well though, nicely done and worth trying. Not the funkiest or weirdest of the Prignon creations for sure, yet it works. Dare I say this is one of his subtlest creations!?

A - Gold brown opaque body, white small head. Many, many floaties visible.
S - Sweet barnyard aromas, and, surprisingly, no chocoate.
T - Light chocolate flavor underlying the fine maltiness. Low bitterness, no sweetness. Banana peel and smoke.
M - Small amounts of carbonation and medium body.
D - Not much of the harder to drink flavors typically found in Fantome brews. For a Fantome, this has to have a 5 for drinkability.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: Hazy orange/amber body with a fluffy white head; bits of lacing

Smell: All kinds of things going on ranging from yeasty to herbal (coriander/bananas) to light chocolate malt

Taste: Very unusual! On top of all the individualistic Belgian flavors that are apparent on the nose, there is an overiding characteristic of malted milk; not the dark chocolate that you taste in a stout but the taste of Ovaltine

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a smooth mouthfeel and considerable carbonation

Drinkability: Unforgetable, but not something I would want everyday; one of the more individualistic tasting beers I have come across

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last