Fantôme Chocolat | Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme
fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by yen157 on 01-16-2005

I bought this 2 weeks ago in Detroit (Cloverleaf) for just over $13, a very good price compared with $16 elsewhere in the area. Tonight I popped the cap and pulled the cork to officially bring in the 2007 holiday season with my wife.

The first observation is that the beer is lighter color than I expected, it's a dark golden color with just more than a hint of haze to it. I expected a little darker hue from the "chocolate" in the name. Not much of a head, and what's there dissipates quickly.

The aroma was funky and musty, possibly a trace of skunk. The flavor was pretty surprising, no chocolate or chili peppers that I can discern. Actually the after-taste reminds me a little of the chocolate smell from a scratch'n'sniff book my daughter had. So it's there I guess. Also, here was a noticeable acidic / citrusy thing going on. A lot here, but I think the regular Fantome is fantastic and a better deal (only $9-10 per bottle).

4.39/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance - like the other Fantome beers I've tried, this does not pour with a terribly robust head. Other than that, it pours a strong orange.

Smell - I get the spicy, peppery kick in the aroma right away, along with some good funk. I can't say that I smell any cocoa, though maybe part of the earthy funk is attributable to the cocoa and not entirely a Brett affair.

Taste, Feel - Well, I don't taste any chocolate directly, but I do get it in the aftertaste. There's some peppery taste along with some Brett sourness, the rotting orange taste I noted in the original Fantome. Second pour - OK, I poured the dregs in, and there was a lot of yeast and crap on the bottom. I typically like the second pour, but damn, that's one cloudy beer now. Really upped the funk in the nose, and I get a lttle more of the chocoate taste and all sorts of other odd semi-tastes. Carbonation is under control....this beer goes down easy.

This beer is actually very refreshing. I was kind of saving this for a cooler day, but I see now that there was no need. You could drink this on a 90 degree day as a quencher. Perhaps the most ridiculous 8% beer I've ever tasted...the alcohol is just not here. It isn't. None whatsoever! It's almost more drinkable than it should be, IMO. It tastes like a good wild ale. Nice and adventurous quaff. As long as you're not expecting some big chocolate bonanza, you should be OK. Really good beer, but maybe not the greatest chocolate beer in the world.

3.72/5  rDev -1.3%

Chocolate and chili peppers? Sign me up.
Pours a pale hazy yellow color with a decent head. After trying their Noel, I figured this one would be brown. The head lingers, which is nice and typical for the style.
Smells like a normal Fantome Saison. I don't really pick up a whole lot of difference to be honest. As this one warms up you'll start to get a faint cocoa smell, but at first there's no real sign at all.
The taste is a little sweeter than a expected, however there's no chocolate flavor at all. I feel a little tingle and pick up a little cayenne-like spice in the finish, but it's really pretty minor. This one just tastes like a slightly sweeter normal saison. It's got the funky yeasty flavors with a little grassy hop bit.
Mouthfeel is thick, and typical for a saison.
Pretty drinkable, too.
While this is a good saison...there's really no motivation to get this one over any other. There's almost no chocolate or pepper flavor, and the little that is there isn't good or bad.
Essentially, buy this one if it's cheaper than another saison. If not - there's really no reason to bother.
I think the scoring on this one will suffer a little bit just because it really isn't much of what it's supposed to be.

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

Appearance - Pours a dirty amber with a very small head. Retention is quite good, as is lacing.

Smell - Smells kinda funky. Like brett. Hard to grasp many of the other smells.

Taste - Wow, that is different. Like swallowing a mouthfull of unsweetened chocolate. A small amount of funk blends nicely with the chocolate. A little warming, maybe both from the peppers and the alchohol, which is nicely hidden. One very interesting brew...

Mouthfeel - Thin and highly carbed.

Drinkability - Smooth and easy, but the flavors might be a little to much for their own good.

Fantome Chocolat pours a luminescent amber with a thin white head from a green 750 ml bottle that has a cork covered by a crown. The cork came out of the bottle with a solid pop and I could immediately smell some funk. The aroma is primarily citrus and some funk. There is a faint trace of dry cocoa at the end, but it's just a slight one. Citrus and a bit of funk are the most prominent flavors. There is a bit of spice too. This is a very good saison, definitely worth a try.

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Had a bottle of this at the River Street Ale House. For a beer labeled a chocolate, it had zero taste of chocolate. I could taste the jalepenos more than the chocolate. The appearance was a murky brown with a slight malty smell. The taste was surprisingly mellow for a beer made with chocolate and jalepenos.

I liked this a lot. And I am certain that each bottle has a different taste but I look forward to the next Fantome Chocolat.

Originally reviewed March 31, 2007. Pizza Port Belgian Beer Fest. Pour from a 750mL. Subdued light mushroom malt aroma. Yeast amber cloud, with rim of white. Flavor is a weak dry nut roast on a plain wheat husky. Very flat favor-profile with some lazy hops and an over-rubbered ester amongst bean salts. Not interesting and a big let down. Chocolate not to be found except for some extant milk notes. Middle of the road really, even as Goldings looks to make some balance. Blah.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Picked up this green 750 ml corked and capped bomber after having seen the likes of it around for a little while. As I poured it out, the typical rustic Fantôme look emerged, as the Saison settled into a cloudy, orange amber body, and was topped by a falling head that started out to be three fingers thick. Quite an understated aroma when compared to the previously sampled offerings from this brewery. I got pleasant floral notes and fresh cut hay when sniffing but neither the cocoa nor the chili pepper were detectable. Taste was tart, earthy, and crisp and any notes not typical in s Saison were minimal, which is sad since I was looking forward to tasting something akin to a Mole Poblano mixed with the beer. That disappointment aside, this was a solid beer with dry and refreshing flavor. Alcohol was so well hidden, it ought to be a crime. Easy to drink, just not as spectacular as hoped.

3.31/5  rDev -12.2%

Body is cloudy honey. There's more lacing here than than on a fancy dress. Nose shouts of black pepper, vanilla orange, and funk.

The taste gives me pause ... the name is Chocolat ... I could handle not smelling it, or even seeing a dark body to reassure me that this was a chocolatey beer as the name implied ... but not tasting it is inexcusable. I know others here have remarked that they tasted it, but I don't ... not even slightly. It's decent for a Saison, with hints of unsweetened orange, very minor spiciness and an aftertaste that reminds me of licking the concrete of a musty basement floor ... but no chocolate. Honestly even if this was just a Saison with no promise of chocolate I still wouldn't be that impressed. Unless it were drastically cheaper than what I paid for it. Even then I'd still probably pay a dollar or two more to buy something more memorable.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Split a 750 at Monk's Cafe in Philly. A solid brown body topped by soapy off white head, lots of carbonation visible throughout. Aroma is funky chocolate, and taste is comperable to the smell. What a distinct, unique beer. The chocolate flavor is strong and unforgettable, unlike anything I've had before. An on combination of chocolate and farmhouse gustatory stimulation, solid mouthfeel, quite creamy, bittersweet chocolate and horse blanket. Where can I get more?!

3.39/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance - cloudy hefe-like yellow. Two fingers of very white foam appear quickly. Bubbles are everywhere. Beads of varying speeds coming from below, creating a great multi-layer visual.

Aroma - mild grains, mild mustiness. Just enough farmhouse scent to let you know what it is, but no chocolate yet.

Taste - a difficult beer to describe. Graininess and mild tartness/funkiness, fairly palatable to me. The swallow has some hop balance to show, also quite good. But I'm not detecting the chocolate. At times I think I am, but if I tasted this blindly I don't think I'd guess there's any chocolate in here. Finishes with the wild yeast and hop residues in good blend with each other, but I feel disappointed for not being able to pick up the chocolate. A tasty saison if nothing else.

Mouthfeel - crisp, lively, with ample carbonation. A smooth element makes it enjoyable to sip.

Drinkability - tasty, but I was looking for something and didn't find it. This is not a style I'd stock anyway, but it's a good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from a 75cl bottle into a tulip glass, Chocolat is a hazy burnt straw, lots of streamers, with a 2 finger white head that slowly subsides to a thick skim leaving lots of bubbly lace. A little rocky and I'd give it a 5.

The aroma is classic fantome saison barnyard funk. Sweet soft grains, some clove and apple cider vinegar, and just a whiff of milk coco. Yum!

The taste is very reminicent of the regular Saison D’Erezée series, but with more subdued yeast and a touch of milk coco, and a very clean finish leaving the faint heat of chili.

The mouthfeel is light and creamy with soft carbonation.

This is very good, easy drinking and refreshing. Not a 5 because I'm not sure that heat wouldn't build up to much, and it goes for $14/ bottle! Still, I'd been wanting to try this for a couple of years, and now that I have, I will certainly seeking it out again.

4.48/5  rDev +18.8%

750ml bottle purchased from Julio's, Marlboro, MA. Capped and corked.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 2 1/2" beige head over the slightly cloudy golden amber brew. Head lasts very nicely (was able to fold a batch of laundry while I waited for an opportunity to drink), with multitudes of sticky frothy lace. Aroma is sweet and spicy, not to mention potent, could smell it when I came back in the room. Taste starts with moderate sweetness, then goes dry light hoppiness, and closes with a evaporating spiciness. Mouthfeel is wow creamy and smooth, and drinkability is amazing. Have to get back to this one again.

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours a very hazy, dried apricot color, with a fluffy two finger head. The foam settles slowly to a thick cap, that lasts throughout the entire beer, and leaves a thick sheeting of lace.

Smell; this has the typical Fantome funkiness to it, with some caramel malts and a little bit of chocolate, but it's a little hard to pick out. I can't really detect the peppers at all in the aroma.

Taste; starts off with a bit of the farmhouse funk you expect in a saison, with a little vinegar, slightly sour and a little herbal. In the middle the sweet malts make an appearance, with just some hints of the peppers. The chocolate shows up in the finish just when I think there isn't anything left. Very interesting, and surprisingly refreshing.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a fairly creamy carbonation. Drinkability is really good. I picked this up on the recommendation of bditty187, and I'm glad that I did. I'm definitely going to pick up more of this one.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

Fantome Chocolat pours a cloudy orange/copper color with a creamy off white head on top. The two finger foam dissolves quickly down to a thick ring around the beer leaving behind several lines and spots of lace.

The aroma has typical Belgian notes of yeast and clove, but with some sour fruit and lemon citrus notes mixed in. A hint of alcohol is also detected.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is dry on the palate with a soft carbonated kick on the middle of the palate. The flavor is a well balanced combination of yeast, caramel malt, clove, lemongrass, and ripe fruit (grape or plum). At the end the pepper comes through and lingers on the back of the palate with a mild burn. Once gone some of the fruity flavors and a hint of spice remain behind.

This is an easy drinking, well balanced beer. I couldn't detect any chocolate, but the pepper made it interesting. Hides its 8% alcohol very well.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer poured a cloudy dark yellow color and formed a huge foamy off white head that coated the glass with lace when it eventually subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma typical of a saison, with hops, yeast, spices, lemon with that slight hint of what people call barnyard (being raised on a farm, I guess I would call it musty straw smell). The flavor was of hops, yeast and grain. It had a medium light body with a slightly creamy finish with some spriteness to it. A good saison, but I really could not detect much coca, chocolate or any of the sort in this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Hazy dark golden, looks quite dark in the middle but the outside is more of a peach. The head plopped up a finger or two, even with an aggressive pour, and I thought the retention was okay. It got a little soapy after the first three or four sips. The lacing is very nice, though, tracks followed two fingers above sea level down the glass.

The aroma is not what I expected from this saison, as Fantome is usually throwing curveballs - and this is brewed with cocoa and chili powder. But it smells more or less like a saison, perhaps less horse-blanket and earth and slightly more funky and tart. There is some sweetish fruit, some spicing I assume is chili powder, and a citric sharpness to the tartiness.

The flavor comes harder with the lemon-cider tart right away, fairly dominating early on. Then more light fruit flavors come quickly and whisk away the acids, I catch some green tea. This bottle didn't display a full chocolate flavor, there was some slight dry bitterness in the finish, and the creamy mouthfeel resulted in a spicy afterflavor. For using two potentially deal-breaking ingredients, I thought this came out very balanced and subtle. There are a lot of complex interactions throughout, it's a really interesting take on the saison, and I love the suggestion of unsweetened wild yeast.

The carbonation is lightening without going overboard, it's keeps a big brew bouncing. Speaking of which, the 8% abv is delightfully well hidden. I notice that I'm going through this capped-and-corked 750 at a pretty good clip. It's refreshing, as a bitter burst at the end seems to whisk the aftertaste off the tongue.

Note: after swishing and pouring the sediment, I'm bumping up the appearance score. It looks almost lactic smooth, like an Irish cream with head. I feel like the cocoa flavors emerged a little bit, it might be the warming or the yeast..

After a good walk spoiled, I'll take this pick me up every time.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: cloudy dark copper with some orange highlights. 3" head lasts quite a while. Nice lacing paints the glass.

Smell: musky fruit sweetness and some caramel are easy to detect by the nose.

Taste: ripe fruit sweetness, very spicy yeast flavors, pepper spice, caramel, plums, grassiness and soft hints of chocolate. I expected there to be more of a chocolate tone through this. Alcohol is mildly detectable and there is an overall musky dryness here.

Mouthfeel: crisp and dry throughout. Very brief spicy and fruity aftertaste. On the lighter side of a heavy bodied beer.

Drinkability: decent and one could say this is a different saison than they normally get to try. Definitely not my favorite Fantome, but still worth trying.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Pours a deep golden with a thin white head.

S - Peppery spice with a bit of earthiness, grassy, sour grapes, just a touch of sweet chocolate.

T - Starts with a bit of sour funk with lemongrass and spicy pepper, earthy presence that I can't quite describe. Bittering chocolate on the finish that lingers on the tongue and plays against the spicy pepper that is left to create a bit of chalkiness. The chili pepper is noticeable and plays well in this beer without being hot or overly spicy. I really enjoy it up until the aftertaste.

M - Seems almost chewy to me with everything that is going on. The dryness/sourness combo scrapes the tongue clean prompting you to take another sip.

D - My first Fantome and a unique take on the style. I will definitely be trying their other Saisons.

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a hazy, muddy orange color with white head and some lacing. The scent is a sweet cocoa powder orange with hints of spices. The taste is a bit underwhelming at first, (I was expecting a lot) earthy and with the flavor of orange rind. The finish is relatively lovely, cocoa with a bit of pepper seed bitterness on the sides of your tongue.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Corked and capped 750 ml, chocolate/chili saison? Sounds weird, but Fantome has never let me down.

Pours a very cloudy amber/golden, one finger white head forms, settles to a medium sized layer, nice lacing, great colour. Smell is classic Fantome, barnyardy funk, honey, straw, yeast, caramel, grass, acidity, don't really get much chocolate in the nose but there is a definate chili spiciness in it. Taste is like a first, bit of citrus, yeast and funk, but what a finish. Rich chocolate, spicy chili, caramel, sour funky straw, real acidic and really nice, found the finish to be slightly weak once the chocolate wears off however. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation, very lively, definately does not seem 8%. Another interesting beer from Fantome, luckily Sam's in Chicago always has a few different ones on hand, great stuff.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

This is a beautiful hay-colored beer with a very white, foamy head that leaves thick lace in my glass. Very nice.

It smells earthy and musty with notes of spice and a light sourness.

The smell carries over to the taste. I don't think I can tell there's any chocolate in this beer. The aftertaste is just a bit spicy on my lips, which may be from the hot peppers. Overall this is a very well balanced and earthy saison. Don't shy away from this beer because you think it tastes like chocolate: It doesn't. There's plenty complexity here, with musty and dry notes mixed with spices. After more sips, I may be able to detect the chocolate, but it may just be wishful thinking.

The body is smooth and slick.

This is a fine saison and another winner from Fantome.

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%

Another masterful crafted beer from this brewery. I did not know there were chile peppers until after. It was like a saison with chocolate, with carob. I guess the bit of acidity on the palate was the chile peppers, and knowing it would have left me pondering it, sipping it, enjoying it more. Still, they are mystery brewers and it was a bit drying yet greatly satisfying. Still needed lots of good red wine after to get my palate to neutral. A bit brown on beige colour. Funky yeasty aroma.

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Fantôme Chocolat was a tad disappointing to me. It is not what I expected or what I hoped for. It is a fine Saison but it doesn't live up to Fantôme's other beers and it does not meet what the label promises. If there were none of those expectations or price tag, it is still a very fine beer. The label says brewed with cocoa and chili pepper but I could barely find a hint of cocoa. Why would it be called Chocolat? Oh well.

Appearance: Pours a hazed orange color but not dark like I would have expected from the name. Huge white head and some lacing.

Smell: More reserved than other Fantôme beers. Basically a hint of pepper spice and yeast. I had to do a lot of stretching to imagine cocoa in there.

Taste: It is led by spices but overall tame by their standard. There is a yeastiness and some bready malts. The back end is heated with some pepper. I really really tried to imagine the cocoa flavor in there but if it is its a stretch to actually isolate in the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light fluffy feel in the moth decent carbonation.

Drinkability: Change the name and it'd be a fine Saison.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Medium copper in color, with a thick off-white head. Great head retention and lace. Sour, funky, floral and spicy aroma. Smells a little winey. Very soft feel to this one. Some sour and funky flavors, combined with a hint of cocoa. I did not get much chilli in this, as otheres did. A very interesting and complex amount of flavors. I enjoyed this one. A nice body, and soft carbonation. Very nicely done.

Fantôme Chocolat from Brasserie Fantôme