Fantôme Chocolat | Brasserie Fantôme

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by yen157 on 01-16-2005

Reviews: 231 | Ratings: 354
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

My friend just got back from NYC again and as usual she brought a nice bounty. This was one of the nice surprises to come a long.

A- Not a dark saison like I was expecting. Its a cloudy, dirty yellow color. Typical big white head from Fantome.

S- Weird, but good. Funkier than many other Fantome saisons. A sweetness that I cant pinpoint, some pepperiness, lemon.

T- Weird again. Chocolate is barely tasted. I think the cocoa really just adds to the mouthfeel, drying it out with a powdery finish. Peppers are definitely tasted along with citrus and funky yeast.

M- Dry with a powdery finish. Like cocoa powder.

3.87/5  rDev +2.7%

Had to remove a bottle cap and pull a cork to get at the amber-colored ale. A nice head arose to two fingers and lasted about half a minute before falling back to 1/4". The beer was pretty clear until I poured the lees into the glass and then it remained very hazy.

Smells sour and musty, like a horse blanket. Orange and spice also greet the nose. All of this translates into the taste, but a bit more subdued. Not nearly as sour as I was hoping, but there is an acrid feel in your mouth. I didn't get much by the way of chocolate or chilies, unless the acrid mouthfeel is a result of the peppers. I'm having trouble telling if the sweetness is from the malts or from the chocolate. I am also reminding myself that Belgian chocolate is different from American, Mexican, British and Swiss chocolate. It's creamier and more subtle. Even so, I can't make it out.

Despite the acridness, I found myself drinking this one pretty quickly. I've heard great things about this brewery, but also that their beer can vary batch to batch and even bottle to bottle. So I'll definitely be trying more.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

750ml bottle from K&L.

Pours hazy golden in color with a huge bubbly white head.

The aroma is pretty nice, typical Fantome funk, a little lemony with mild spice.

Flavor is weird but solid. Slight chocolate along with lots of citrus fruits, pepper, a little cocoa, barnyard yeasty funk. Fairly tart. A slight hint of ghost p***y.

Soft but high carbonation with medium body and mild acidity.

Better than I expected overall. Drinkable, especially for the ABV.

2.14/5  rDev -43.2%

Thanks for sharing this one Richard. You've definitely stepped your game up on sharing crappy beers.

A: The pour is a nice amber color with an initially voluminous but soon thin off-white head.

S: Can you say skunked? Lots of skunk which I debated whether or not was just Fantome funk, and decided on nay. Slightly spiced and sweet.

T: Luckily, not as skunky on the palate. Earthy hops, some light lemon tartness, spices, and a really out of place sweetness, might be some milk chocolate.

M: The mouthfeel is probably the best thing about this beer. Light to medium in body with a lively and crisp carbonation.

D: Dear brewers, chocolate and Saisons do not go together (see: Fantome Chocolat and Bullfrog Magic Beans). This was not good.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks, Nick.

Pours a beautiful hazy blond with a large sustaining white head.

Bizarre aroma, signature Fantome; spicy, peppery and yeasty. There's a touch of sourness and funk, a little grain. I don't pick up any chocolate.

Tart and grainy, pale malt barely supports the intense yeast and spice flavors. Peppery, tart, lemony, there's a hint of chocolate and faint heat. Light-bodied, very refreshing and quaffable. Very good.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle.

A: After it stopped gushing, it poured a murky orange color with a thick white head.

S: Spices and funky yeast aromas in the nose.

T: A most interesting saison. Lots of spice and yeast. Without knowing that there were cocoa and pepper in here, I would not have guessed it. The pepper is very faint but it's there. The cocoa is extremely subtle. It's also a bit tart with a dry finish. There are also lemon and barnyard flavors as well.

M: Medium bodied, high carbonation.

D: Very glad I tried this, a very creative beer.

750ml bottle...another great beer cracked open and shared by jlindros at his hosted tasting with several BA's. Poured into a Corsendonk tulip.

A - Pours a surprisingly pale orange tinted straw color filled with yeasty haze. Thin fizzy cap dies quickly back to the surface.

S - Belgian yeasty/estery fruity aromas, spiciness, grainy, biscuity and bready malt base. For a beer named chocolat, there really isn't any chocolate that I can detect. I do get the chili pepper though. Present in a noticeable but subdued way.

T - Similar to aroma - good grainy, wheaty malt base with tons of Belgian yeast character, spices, some citrus with noticeable chili pepper which gives a nice crispness and lite "bite" to it. Seems like the chili probably enhances or brings out some of the other flavors, giving an extra layer of complexity. Again...no chocolate...hmm.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation. A bit of a tingle from the chili to go with the carbonation bubbles. Light alcohol warmth, but nothing too serious or up front.

D - Nice saison with a little bit of an interesting add with the chili. Wish I could have gotten some chocolate with it though. Chili and chocolate go together well in beer and I had a certain expectation going into this based on the name. Not gonna say I was "let down" because this is a pretty tasty beer, just lamenting what could have been.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

A: A light head covering fades instantly over a hazy fark wheat colored yellow orange beer.

N: Belgian saison/tripel aroma, Belgian malts, light citrus, wheat, some chili peppers too, light spices and malts. No real chocolate yet.

T: Again some saison and tripel flavors, Belgian malts again, mostly dry as well with no real sweetness. Light citrus, orange peel, touch of chili pepper, no real chocolate yet either, touch of spices and touch of booze. A little funky woody dank shelf like taste with mold, but very little. A little fresh wort taste as well... as it warms I'm starting to get some chocolate lightly.

M: Medium body with lower but decent carbonation.

Dry, some lingering Belgian malts, lingering chili (especially on the burps), little chocolate on the finish, little saison flavor too, and touch of creamy malts.

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Presentation: Poured from a 750 mL corked adn capped bottle into a snifter glass in two parts. Served slightly chilled and allowed to warm to room temperature during.

Appearance: Deep straw yellow and cloudy. One finger white head with average retention, but sticks well to the glass.

Aroma: Lemon zest and green apple present themselves upfront giving a nice sour character. Some astrigent pale malt gives it a nice muskiness as well. No chocolate or chili peppers to speak of here.

Taste: Follows closely to the aroma. Sour flavors upfront of lemon juice and tart green apple. Some earthiness mixed in there as well. Definitely some funk here. The hop profile begins to really take charge here and near the end of each sip becomes the dominant flavor. Nice bitter, piney balance to the sour notes upfront. No chocolate. A slight peppery spiciness does build up but never becomes strong or even really noticable.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and medium to light bodied. Really pops off the tongue.

Drinkability: Even at 8% ABV, this manages to stay crisp. I had not trouble finishing a bottle and easily have had more.

A really enjoyable saison, but there really is almost no hint of chocolate or chili, which dissappointed me. I enjoyed this and thought the sour character and the hops enjoyed a really good interplay as this warmed. Good, but the lack of chocolate kind of baffled me.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

A rich golden hue with a tinge of orange and a fluffy, stabilized frothy head with superb lacing and retention.

Definitely my favorite of the more distinctive Fantome brews, although a bit short of the traditional Saison. This one, like the Hiver and Printemps, I'd buy again.

The spiciness of the pepper comes through throughout, on the nose and on the palate, underlining a distinct mid-palate pale malt sweetness that drifts into the ethereal fruitiness of Fantome's better offerings. Warm spices are also present, this pairs perfectly with our Mexican meal this evening. I wish I had some mole to go with it, the chocolate element being largely absent in this beer accept for perhaps an inferred note on the end in the sweetness.

Beguiling, its aromas of stone fruit and spices both warm and hot are a treat.

Lovely.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a capped-and-corked 750mL green-glass bottle into my Troubadour tulip. Unknown vintage.

Cloudy goldenrod liquid is suffused with golden-yellow highlights. A tall rocky head recedes to a thin soapy layer leaving behind large merengue-like strands of lacing. Shimmering tears slowly drag down the sides.

Sourdough starter, unripe orange, clay, and maybe a hint of red pepper is delivered by the nose.

Surprisingly tart on the palate (well, this being Fantôme, I shouldn't be surprised I suppose), with significant sourness from the yeast. Buttermilk, orange zest, unripe strawberries, and faint green apple skins are present in the profile. Light herbaceous/weedy flavors suggest hops as well. The featured additives of cocoa and chili only come out in the finish - with a mild heat offset by the nutty/earthy flavors of cocoa bean. Neither hot or bitter, the flavors add just a bit of complexity rather than steal the show from the base saison.

Medium-light bodied, with active carbonation but not much effervesence. The chilli contributes heat in the place of the alcohol - making this slightly more warming than you might expect.

More subtle than I was expecting, the flavors fail to confound but also fail to impress compared to some of the other offerings from this eccentric brewery. Then again, perhaps because of this restraint, it isn't difficult to drain a full bottle in a sitting.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Quite the intriguing saison, nicely toned with an almost too gentle subtlety.

Presentation: 750 ml corked and capped green bottle. Front label with a 4 tone illustration of the ghost looking to a cocoa bean, a bit naive, and not particularly remarkable... Fair design leaning on its weak side. Side paragraph notes main intent, unpredictability, ingredients and brewery ethos. Back label offers a history and context of the brewery. Lacks a clear freshness or bottling date. Shows Alc. by Vol. (8%) Served in a tulip glass.

A - Hazy medium amber body, with a creamy head with average to moderate retention, little surface memory, and some lacing.

S - Nice nose, if a bit shy, contained... Light yeasty sense, with a faint musty touch over the thinnest of cocoa insinuations.

T - Light chocolate note swimming late in the undercurrent of a Belgium yeasty and earthy sense, light spicy touches, and a faint grassy feel.

M - Medium body, with initially generous carbonation, which subsided s a bit, and a smooth finish.

D - Very easy drinking, almost too easy given that one was maybe expecting a more diverse and assertive profile, but the range is there quietly under a very balanced and approachable sense, which makes for an undeniably nice drinking experience.

Notes: One of the few Fantomes I've had the pleasure of trying. And while not extraordinary, it sure is stimulating and makes me want to keep on looking out for their offerings and see what they are up to.

4.62/5  rDev +22.5%

750ml, had this one kicking around for a while. Into standard pint glass. Corked and capped.

A- Pale beyond comprehension, and filtered (or well-settled). Unusual, but then again, it's a fantome. Amazing sticky head, could have fooled me for an IPA here.

S- Funky, right from the uncorking. Mildly fruity, mildly grassy. I can get lost in this.

T- Lighter than I expected. A faint tartness, some berry sweetness, a dash of mustiness. Perhaps some tangerine and lingering clove spices. Nothing too heavy in any direction. No hint of chocolat or the chili powder... but that's OK, this is pretty tasty. Actually, it's very tasty.

M- Light, well-carbonated, and refreshing, even at 8%. A magic trick from Dany, if I dare say. This beer is begging me to drink it. A slick mouthfeel (good though) and some dry sweetness... hard to describe but oh-so-good.

D- Through the roof. The most drinkable Belgian I've ever encountered. My favorite fantome? Hard to say. But I had high expectations and this one exceeded it very much. Totally not what I had in mind but I'm delighted by the beer this is. Wish I bought more of this, a few more bottles are in order. A spectacular beer.

A= A strong pour reviels a hazy yellow beer... I woulda thought this would be a little darker with chocolate in it... Interesting. The head is a nice sturdy finger high with some spotty lacing on the side of the glass.

S= Sour lemons.... No chocolate again. Maybe this is the regular saison with the wrong label? What the hell is going on here. I guess if I dig deeper in the funk and oak smells I can get a little extra sweetness from it that isn't in the regular saison but I'm not sure if I would call it a chocolate note.

T= Ok, Like the smell there is a little sweetness to it. The sour lemon taste is the most dominate flavor in the taste. There is a slight sweetness to it on the middle of the tongue that is not present in the regular saison. There is a lot of oak and cheezy funk to it as well. Really nice.

M= A good spikey sort of carbonation in it. I've heard reports of this being flat and I've heard a few gushers I think. Mine is well carbonated. Very dry finish.

D= What can I say this is another well made beer from Fantome. Is it chocolatey? Hell no. I dunno who they are trying to trick here. It's just a little sweeter but not chocolaty by any stretch of the imagination. Worth trying however like all Fantome beers are.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

A: The beer poured cloudy pale yellow in color without any bubbles on the surface. A few yeast particles are floating near the bottom of the snifter glass.
S: There is a moderate aroma of earthiness and funkiness along with some notes of spices.
T: There is a very good balance in the flavors between pale malts and spices; there are also some hints of chili peppers.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate with a very light amount of carbonation.
D: This beer needs to be served at the proper temperature--let this sit for a while--it becomes very easy to drink after it warms up.

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%

*WARNING* This one is a gusher! Exploded all over my kitchen floor.

A - Hazy amber/yellow body with a thick fizzy head.

S - Love that musty/funk Fantome yeast aroma. More peppery than your typical saison. Grainy malt sweetness. Not getting much in the way of cocoa.

T - I don't really like to use the style of beer to describe the beer itself, but this one tastes like a typical saison. Chipotle peppers take a backseat to the musty/tangy dry malt sweetness. I was actually rather disappointed with this offering from Fantome, but it is still a good beer.

M - Fizzy, medium body.

D - Nothing too exciting, but better than your average saison.

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

The second of three Fantome reviews:

We've got a gusher! I don't know what it is about this beer, but both times I've had it, the bottle exploded like an f*ckin' volcano.

From this ranging sea of foam sprung a rich pumpkin color, loaded with heavy sediment, sticky lace and an endless amount of bubbles. It was quite the presentation.

Aroma was deep (almost malty) and spicy, backed by a cool burn provided by chipotle peppers. The bubbles are so active that I couldn't help but get some in my nose while I sniffed.

Flavorwise, it initially seems to mirror that of the Printemps (which I tried right beforehand), but they become quite different after multiple sips. This one does boast the pulp sourness, but also brings the sting of hot peppers on the backend, followed by a subtle milkiness that may be evidence of bitter chocolate. Tangerine and melon are also present and it's definitely delightful to enjoy such sweet flavors alongside an intense spice. Another showstopper!

Although this is definitely tangy, the mouth boasts a maltiness which balances out the sour and the fiery. It's also quite a rush to feel that kick of heat tickle the back of the tongue.

This is a true original, from the way it handles the chocolate (more an essence than a focus) to the South of the Border spicing to the Berliner Weiss-esque refreshingness. This brewery is definitely one of the most innovative on Planet Earth and this beer is another one of their masterpieces.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Fantome has tickled my apparitional fancies more than once before, so this paradoxically chocolate-y golden saison seemed like a (super)natural progression. Unfortunately, much like a vaporous spirit, this Fantome escaped from its glass bottle captivity far too quickly.

A friend's new apartment celebration seemed reason enough to pop a few bottles of fine craft beer on a Thursday night. After several delightful bottles care of jlindros, we came upon the Chocolat--aka Mt. Saint Helen's. Scarcely before I can crack the cap, the cork skyrockets halfway to the moon like Buzz Aldrin, leaving behind it a geyser of beer equally as forceful as Ole Faithful. No joke, the stream shot straight to the ceiling for several seconds until the bottle was almost completely evacuated. By the time the eruption subsided, I was pinned against the wall with my mouth agape, absolutely awestruck. Now, I've experienced gushers, but this, my friend, is the smoldering caldera that Belgium wish it had.

After the ash flow cleared, I managed a half inch of sudsy, yeasty remains. Despite the meager sample, I could discern the house flavors of yeasty, funky, slightly fruity rawness over a mid-palate of waxy milk chocolate, followed by a flash of white pepper.

Certainly interesting, though I will wear protective eyewear next time.

3.58/5  rDev -5%

No noticeable chocolate for me.

Appearance: Pour has a bit more orange/copper than the regular Fantome saison; a bit more opaque and definitely more carbonated

Smell: Spicy, funky, fruity barnyard; more musty (like an old leather-bound book) than the standard saison. I get no chili or chocolate.

Taste: Mirrors the bouquet; lots of musty funk and some tart pear and apple; perhaps some cinnamon.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and well carbonated

Drinkability: Interesting one-off; although a bit odd to taste a bear named "Chocolat" and not detect its namesake's presence.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

A-Cloudy straw in appearance with a thick head that dissipates quickly.

S-Big fruity esters and sweet malt typical of style. Homebrewers who have used WY3725 will immediately recognize the nose. Nice earthiness as well, but I'm not getting the hint of funk one often gets from a Fantome bottle, nor do I get any chili or cocoa.

T-Citrus and earthiness with a nice tart finish. More lemon than orange. Sweet malts here again dominate. I'll agree with other reviewers and say that I'm not sure that I would pick out the chili or cocoa if I didn't know they were there. Will assume that some of the lingering heat I'm getting is the chili and not the alcohol alone.

M-Medium body with a nice crisp finish. Carbonation seems a bit low in this bottle compared with other Fantome offerings.

D-Very drinkable saison. Feeling the alcohol a bit after finishing the first pour, but the bottle will go down quite easy.

Overall: Everybody loves Fantome, and this beer is another great example why. Likely wouldn't buy again at $15, but that's primarily so I can justify buying the next bottle of Fantome that I haven't tried.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

750mL corked bottle into a Duvel snifter pours a murky dark orange with a decent frothy off-white head that diminishes to a ring and leaves slight lacing on the glass. Aroma is fresh fruits with a nice backing of spice, mild cocoa and a hint of chili peppers. The taste is loads of super sweet malts with a bit of cocoa in the finish. The beer is medium bodied with its sweetness being the main problem with the mouthfeel, but it dies down as the beer warms and the chili and chocolate comes through. This is certainly an interesting beer, but not one I'd likely have again.

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Cloudy honey topped with a frothy, bone-white foam that leaves slight lacing. Lots of effervescence.
Smell - Sweet grains, faint hints of cocoa notes/slight chili. I probably would not have known what those notes were if I did not know this beer was supposed to have cocoa and chili notes. Slight sour/tart funk noticeable.
Taste - Sweet, bready malts, faint hint of cocoa, slight chili heat on the finish. Some vinegar.
Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied, light on the tongue yet still has a substantial feel.
Drinkability - Rather easy drinking, but none of the flavors stand out and create much of a desire to drink more.
Overall - Overall disappointing, especially for the price (14.99), quality brewing is perceivable, but the flavors aren't there. The flavor profile comes together, but it's like the volume to a promising song is too low.

3.26/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Out of a 750ml corked and capped bottle. Pours a hazy golden straw color with a pure white soapy head that left some lacing on the glass. The aroma is buttery, not what I expect from the style, ever. There are some sour funk notes but I can't get over the buttery aroma. The taste has some of the buttery note but that is quickly washed away by more of the traditional fantome saison funk flavor; some lemon and a touch of vinegar. There seems to be a light sweet fruity aspect in the end. I didn't pick up much horse blanket or the chile or cocoa. The feel is light to moderate with soft to tingly carbonation, has an overall tart feel on the palate. Not a great start to this brew but it finishes better. Needs to have more of the saison flavor pop through. I didn't pick up any of the cocoa or chile flavors whatsoever. Perhaps a slight tingle of heat from the chile. Probably the most disappointing of the fantome brews that I have sampled.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Picked up a 750ml from Liquor Max in Loveland, CO. $15. Split with my girlfriend.

A: Burnt orange with a cream colored head, opaque and quite turbid. A little bit darker than the other Fantome beers that I've had. Incredible head retention in the one glass while the other is not quite as impressive. Nice sticky clumps of lacing. Audible carbonation.

S: Bready malts, slight bit of signature Fantome funk, present chocolate smells, but not overwhelming. Some wheat profiles, slightly citrus, and some green apples as well. Overall smells nice, not quite as funky as I'd expected but there is definitely some barnyard in there.

T: Slightly tart and funky upfront followed by a malted milk ball like chocolate flavor, very strong hop profile, definitely more of the noble hop slightly skunky/earthy with some citrus, mostly orange. The orange/chocolate/tart funk all mixes together nicely to create a very unique beer. I can't really detect much of the pepper that is involved here, maybe a little bit in the aftertaste but it is definitely faint. Interesting.

M: Medium body, slightly warm alcohol, fair amount of carbonation but not overwhelming. A little bit of heat from the pepper, but it doesn't really play a huge factor. Slightly tart and puckering, but not overwhelming.

D: Easy to drink, but a little strong on the booze and complexity to make this a session. Really an interesting beer though, and enjoyable. This is right on par from a brewery that defies style and classification. I'd recommend this to anyone feeling adventurous.

3.81/5  rDev +1.1%

750-mL bottle, corked. Aged ~3 years (2 years beyond the BBE date on the bottle).

This beer poured a hazy, peachy, amber color with lots and lots of bubbles, forming creamy, off-white foam that clung to the glass and persisted. The smell was slightly sour and woody with hints of grapes, apples, and cocoa. The taste was woody and earthy with very light fruitiness (green grapes, apples, and apricots). There was a light tart bitterness in the finish. Not much chocolate in the flavors. The mouthfeel was very dry with strong carbonation and medium-light body. There was a dry, astringent finish with a slight bitterness. This was good overall. Not sure it improved with age.

Fantôme Chocolat from Brasserie Fantôme