Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fantôme De Noel | Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme De NoelFantôme De Noel
3.91/5
Very Good
Fantôme De NoelFantôme De Noel

Brasserie Fantôme
fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

This ever-evolving offering is said to be spiced with honey, caramel, black pepper, coriander and (per usual with Fantôme) a number of other special secret ingredients. A rich, dark-flavored beer with lots of deep-roasted chocolate malt, but still fairly dry, with a hint of sourness at the core. It is very spicy, with some winter spruce flavor in the bargain. The wild yeast sourness also adds to its welcoming character.

Added by taez555 on 12-03-2001

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%

750 mL green bottle, capped and corked, with no notches on the label, poured into a tulip.

I read a handful of reviews on this site before drinking this to get a better idea of what I should expect. They didn't help. I read more reviews on the other site. They didn't help. I drank this beer. That didn't help. My typical BA-style review is useless in attempting to describe this beer. Adding to the confusion, from the appearance, smell and taste I would never guess this is a saison. So far, so good for a Fantome beer. Appearance is a dark, clear ruby brown with a thick light tan head. Aroma is fruity and vinous with mild malt and chocolate/spice undertones. Flavor is consistently across the map including: grapes, coffee, dark fruit, roast malt, Belgian yeast, chocolate, cinnamon, pepper, vomit, vomit aftertaste, clove, tomato, general vegetive-ness. Yes, it pretty much runs the spectrum; oscillating between disparate flavors, with the strongest acidic, vegetive and vomit notes appearing in the finish at warmer serving temperatures. I realize this makes the beer sound repulsive, but its not meant to. As with other Fantome beers, this delightful intractable, indescribable qualities is what makes the beer enjoyable and fascinating. This is one of my least favorite Fantome beers, yet I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone. Quite remarkable for what a saison can do.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

surprisingly effervescent for such a high abv and a nose that does not express the intense amount of well placed spicing. pour is the color of a fresh press watered down coffee with a nice off white head and a nose of brisk skunky malt. straw and orangepeel but more something that is savory and not overpowering sweet. palate is a culmination of things with that core of a mineral tight palate of a saison and a subtle sour tart in the background. not at all heavy. chocolate mild cocoa, plum, persimmon, clove, orange peel, and hazelnut... sweet but not gritty. a mild smoky even. very very subtle delicate palate to something that would seem decedent but instead is a smooth, savory, boutique of winter.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into tulip at 60 F.

A: Murky rusty cider color, with very aggressive head that settles without much of a trace. First glass has significant yeast deposits!
S: Apple pie,
T: Sour dried peaches, mahogany, rustic leather, with a nice yeast kick.
M: Very creamy and well balanced mouthfeel, good carbonation and no disagreeable heat.
D: Very well done, I think I will pour at a lower temp next time just to observe the transitions. This is a special occasion beer that deserves undivided attention.

This beer points out what a "Saison" can be- it is really a style that has IMO about the widest range of sub-styles there is. I would like to do a side by side comparison with "Glazen Toren's Saison D'Erpe-Mere winter edition"(very rare) in the future. Both breweries are dedicated to digging into the roots of this and other styles.

I suspect they used two different yeasts here, on for primary and one in the bottle. There is some suspended dark yeast in the last pour, but the first our immediately deposited some white yeast in the bottom of the glass.

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured a deep dark chocolate brown with reddish highlights with a half finger of head that left a little sticky lacing on the glass. The nose had tart like characteristics which consisted of slight brett, faint vinegar, and acidic notes but also had some spiceness that was made up of cinnamon, nutmeg, slight vanilla. It had a little underlying fruit, and oaky notes. Upfront the taste was a tart for sure like the nose but was a little more dominate over the rest of the ingredients. There was still some christmas style spiceness but it also had some charcoal smokey characters that were a little weird for me but was not bad that added dimension and was surprisingly tasty. This brew was medium body with a fair amount of carbonation that had a slight sweet, spicey,smokey and tart finish. It drank well and was thrown off by the the smokiness from the beer but it ended up being a good trait that made the brew that much more complex and flavorfull. I honestly enjoy beers like this one that have lot of flavor that contrast each other. It could easily be a hit or miss for other people.

4.24/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

July 25: Christmas in July!
750mL poured into an Allagash tulip

A - dark cherry wood brown with thin taupe head made of very fine bubble

S - fruity and oaky, some sour aroma reminiscent of brett

T - creamy tart taste, only mild hints of oak. no brett to speak of, but plenty of saison flavor. it actually reminds me of a very smooth, rich wine

M - hearty mouthfeel, plenty of weight and body. very smooth

D - rich, flavorful, easy to swallow

3.8/5  rDev -2.8%

2009 750mL Bottle:

A- Poured from the bottle with a diffuse haze layer and just a bit of edge lacing, over an almost completely opaque red-orange-amber body with no visible carbonation.

S- Slightly tart nose... showing signs of lactic, possibly acetic infection. A little saline on the nose as well. A little bit of spiciness coming from the nose over a mild musty fruitiness. Surprisingly no EtOH, malt nor hop aromas from the nose.

T- Wow. A faint Vienna malt flavor is almost overwhelmed by some non-descript spices and mild lactic sourness. Some dark fruity esters really kick in the midpalate. The finish is mildly dry with lingering tartness and impressions of dark rum-soaked fruit.

M- Thin body, with very delicate carbonation. Slight astringency.

D- The alcohol is exceptionally well-hidden here. Dangerously hidden. A nice fruity and spicy brew that demonstrates how a touch of lactic sourness can go a long way in a beer.

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Dark garnet chestnut color with an average sized, foamy, sticky off-white/toasted marshmallow color head. Decent retention with a nice layer of sticky lace.

S - A lot of dark fruit, especially a plum, fig, and other vinous, jamy fruits. Also plenty of spice with cinnamon, nutmeg, and some clove and pepper. A bit of a sweet bready aroma as well. Somewhat Christmasy with a spiced sweet bread aroma, but it isn't overly Christmasy.

T - Similar to the nose with plenty of dark fruit and it is pretty plumy and slightly vinous. Good amount of spice with cinnamon and nutmeg being the strongest with some clove, pepper, and anise as well. Fair amount of Christmas flavors, especially the spices. Some sweet, dark bready malt base. In the background there is some more traditional Saison/Fantome spice and yeast.

M - Medium body with medium to high carbonation. A bit of a zesty feel, but a touch of smoothness as well.

D - Pretty drinkable beer with the ABV very well hidden. Spice and dark fruit combine well with the typical Fantome/saison flavors. Doesn't overpower the palate.

Notes: Tasty offering from a great brewery, although this is not my favorite of their beers. Fairly Christmas like in the spices and dark fruit, but it didn't necessarily strike me as a Christmas beer. All together this was an interesting offering from a good brewery, but I probably wouldn't get it again, but it is worth a try.

1.59/5  rDev -59.3%

Must preface that I am a huge proponent of Fantome, one of my favorite breweries so it pains me to slam one of his beers...

A---Dark hue, reddish tint, plenty of carbonation with this one.

S---Indicative of what is to come, smelled like bad tomatoes.

T---Terrible, like bad tomato soup with chestnut flavoring added for extra shock value.

M---Fine, I guess.

D---This beer is truly a terrible, twenty dollar drain pour. I am hopeful, based on reading other's reviews, that I got a bad bottle. Honestly the worst beer I have tasted in a long time.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

I brought this to a tasting. Reviewed from notes dutifully made on the iPhone.

Poured a murky brown, dark for a saison. Good carbonation, sometimes this is lacking with Fantomes.

Aroma is earthy and spicy - good but honestly a little muddled.

In the taste a little tomato, thyme, oregano....like an Italian meal in a glass. To me this tastes a lot like Hiver, which I suppose shouldn't surprise me. Good, not great by Fantome standards.

The most notable, praise-worthy thing I could find about this beer was how well 10% ABV disappeared into the void. That's really strong for a saison. I figured I'd be able to taste it more, but it was truly nowhere to be found, no exaggeration. I have no idea how this was accomplished.

Had a light mouthfeel, again covering up its real strength. Didn't even feel like 10%.

It's certainly drinkable at this level. Not my favorite Fantome, but worthy of a "good" score. I'd drink it again.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours dark chestnut brown, slightly murky. Very fizzy very light tan head bubbles quickly and recedes leavings a ring around the glass that sticks around.

Smells of rich caramel sweetness and brown sugar. Grassy and tart yeast. Slightly funky.

The first sip is surprisingly much more tart than the aroma led on. Apple cider rounded off very nicely with roasted malts and spices. It fulfills both saison and Belgian Christmas ale qualities. A little light for a Christmas ale and rich and roasty for a saison, but it works for me.

Sparkly mouthfeel. Pretty light and heavy on carbonation. Considering it is a winter seasonal, I'd like it to have more body. The roasty character would benefit more even if it's still a bright and tart saison.

There is virtually no hint of the 10% abv. I almost wonder how correct that estimate is. It's a light bodied beer but not without flavor. I don't feel like this beer should be limited to the winter. I could drink this anytime.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured a corked and capped 750 into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a muddy orange with a massive 4 inch, off-beige head that leaves little streaks of lacing down the sides of the glass. Honestly, the color of the beer is fairly ugly. Really muddled. The aroma is oddly intense. Up front is a underlying sourness that's found in many of Fantôme beers. Within the depths of the aroma, it almost presents itself as a sour pie cherry. Underneath the sourness comes vague spiciness, no single spice that I can put my finger on. A very slight bit of damp earth comes through that I think must come from the yeast profile they use. The flavor is really tart at its heart. Sour pie cherries leave a lingering tartness on the palate. It's really the dominate flavor in the beer. After the tartness comes a muddled spice profile but i just cant make out any single flavor. Nothing particularly "Christmas-y" about it. Only a slight bit of damp earth and grass come through. Almost a grapefruit like astringency to it. The mouthfeel is almost perfect for a Saison. Nice and dry, leaving a sandpaper like feeling on the tongue and making the palate linger for another sip. Fantôme is a wonderfully eclectic brewery. They do wonderful beer and try crazy things with Saisons. This fall's in between the two.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

I've been on a Fantome kick of late, picking up every one I can find. I grabbed this at State Line the other day.

The pour is quite beautiful, a deep crimson with nice reddish brown highlights. There's a thin, brown head with excellent retention and there is some lacing too, more, in fact, than the Gubna I drank right before this.

The nose is unreal. This is very Bon Chien like, opening with a beautiful acetic sourness blended with with a strong leather character and some grainy tannins. A mellow fruit character is present with some red grape. Mildly spicy, I get some cinnamon, vanilla, some brown sugar and maybe some allspice? Certainly the best X'mas beer I've had.

The beer, unfortunately, doesn't taste as good. While the flavors hinted at on the nose are present, they seem a little disjointed. Opening with some tartness, a blend of light lemon and mostly acetic character, there's a slight butteriness to the palate. The spices are a little more noticeable, with cinnamon and nutmeg standing out, along with a slight astringency too. A mild sweetness is present as well, a blend of brown sugar, caramel and honey. Drying on the finish with some sourness and a moderate tannic astringency, this beer is medium in body with moderate carbonation and is something I'm going to enjoy drinking over the next hour or two.

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Got to tell ya -- never have I seen foam like this one was sporting. It wanted OUT of the bottle in a BIG way once the cork was pulled from the 750ml bottle. Not even in champagne have I seen such a fountain.. and 30+ minutes later, foam was STILL creeping its way out. We're talking some busy little yeast.

That said, I have no complaints with the beer itself. Seems to me to be similar to a gueuze, only more user-friendly -- in that it's less outright funkified and sweatgland, and more drinkable and enjoyable as a beer in itself, from my admittedly narrow American perspective. But then this is my first saison. All I know is my tastebuds are playing and standing up and saying howdy. Mouthfeel, flavour, nose -- hell, this sucker has got it in spades. Not sure if it's a Saison™ -- but damn sure I like it.

No complaints. Finished the whole 750ml by my lonesome, though I'm sure the counter I opened it on got its share -- which is sad, but what can you do, when you drink a Christmas ale in March? All I know is that those were some ANXIOUS yeast, and that I think this thing is the bomb. Honestly -- Fantôme rocks. I am going to be looking for all their stuff in future.

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Pours a cloudy copper/brown color. A two finger white head forms. The foam finally recedes to a ring that sticks around throughout. Light lace.
S: A fruity tartness up front. Citrus, apples, grapefruit are dominate. Bread, biscuit, and yeast lingers.
T: Sweet malt and fruity. Lightly tart. Lots of yeast. Some spicy flavors. Maybe an odd chocolate flavor lingers on? Strange, but interesting.
M/D: A medium body that has crisp carbonation. Not hard to sip on. Though, it is good that I am splitting a bottle with a friend. I would not be able to finish this by myself.

Like most Fantome beers, this is really interesting. Though that does not equate to me wanting to get this beer again. Good to try once, but that is enough for me.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Aroma- light, mostly a sweet aroma from what I would guess is caramunich, a lightly grassy note, brett is definately there but not overwhelming...all barnyard in character, not all that appealing really

Appearance- turbid bronze with not much head

Taste - floral, fruity, super tart, strong hey character, horsey, brett really running the show, sourness hangs on the tounge, has moments of citrus and bay spice, funky, still refreshing pie cherry in the finish, kind of a rosemerry character too

MR- light bodied, and super acidic

Overall - pretty much a straight brett beer, interesting, but probably not one I'll be returning too without a cheese pairing or something, might be good at a holiday meal, would be fun to cellar and see what esle the brett does

4.42/5  rDev +13%

2008 bottling, I think. 750 ml.

Pours a cloudy, near opaque mahogany. Small bubbly head sticks around pretty well. Lacing is minimal.

Aroma is excellent, with lots of acidity, funk and Belgian sourness.

Flavor is surprisingly tart. Definitely a beer for sour enthusiasts. Personally, I love the flavor. Vinous and acidic, with notes of vanilla and sour apples. Aftertaste is bitter and pleasantly rindy and leathery. Carbonation is high, but very smooth. Barely noticed the 10 percent alcohol content.

This stuff is really awesome, and I could see myself trying the other Fantome offerings, albeit occasionally given the price.

4.92/5  rDev +25.8%

I could drink this all night long.

A. The HUGE amount of foam threw me off at first. But once I got that out of the way, wow!

S You can smell it about a yard away. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but definitely a pleasant, strong smelling beer.

T. Tastes raisiny and spicy but also really wild, more than any saison I recall. It's also quite sour - not Cantillon levels but def. sour. A bit of sweetness in the finish. This is what I think a lot of american wild ales are trying to achieve ..though they don't usually get this good by a mile.

M. Great. Refreshing. Bubbly. Not heavy, but not thin or watery.

D. I'm enjoying this. I could drink this all night long in a bar, if this was ever on tap ..but it would probably be sold at an insane price.

I'm really loving this beer.

3.28/5  rDev -16.1%

Certainly not the star of the fantome lineup. Malty and spicy, a bit festive. Oddly similar to coke or pepsi with raisins. Lacking the complexity I have come to expect from this brewer, just another christmas beer really but with a weird twist, I prefer his more standard offerings.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a reddish/brown color with a fluffy off-white head that does not disappear. This beer is almost completely opaque with almost no light coming through.

S - The nose is filled with large amounts of apple and bready yeast. A nice amount of sweet spice as well.

T - Much sweeter than I expected. Heavy fruit up front from apples and some lemon. Cinnamon and nutmeg seem to carry the torch for the spices and this is all balanced by some nice bread-like characteristics. Slight hint of alcohol in the finish.

M - High carbonation that provides a little bite with each sip.

D - Highly drinkable and an overall great beer.

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Why not. 10% fantome.. eh? I'm game.

$12.79 @ Nikki's. 750ml into flute.

A- Popped the top, little 'plunk' but not much. An aggressive pour leaves a 3-finger head that settles slowly. Lacing, too. Hmm.. didn't expect as big of a head on a 10% farmhouse. Head is like a white sand beach. Beer is a muddy brown with orange highlights, looks good up to the light.

S- Musty, funk... wet grass clippings, cinnamon, orange zest (though faint) and an earthiness that combines with the grass.

T- Fruity, like a meaty plum. A bit puckering (thinking of a lambic here), a bit spicy from the cinnamon, a bit bitter in the finish. Interesting... buckets of flavor, this one surprised me.

M- Tart, crisp, great carbonation (the best-carbonated Fantome I've had) and a joy to drink.

D- Moderate... this one really stood out for me in the already awesome line of fantome beers. This is a winner in my book. But it's not an everyday beer... this one is to be savored.

3.37/5  rDev -13.8%

What an odd beer. Beer pours out with strong effervescence and nice head. Smell is typical Fantome saison--mostly lemon and cheesy funk. But the taste here is very different from the smell. As soon as I took a drink, it was like someone switched beers on me while I was blinking. The taste lacks almost all the characteristics of a typical saison--no funk, sweetness, or sourness at all. Instead, the beer boasts a lot of wood and smoke, and I mean a lot, though neither of these overpowers the palate or affects the beer's drinkability. Both wood and smoke are strongly present yet balanced. There's a bit of bitter cocoa in there as well as some dried herbage, and the beer finishes very, very dry, like a brute champagne. A strange brew...but what else would you expect from Fantome?!

Poured this 750 mL green bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date but I have had this one a year. The body was a clear rich bright amber color, like a new penny. The head was modest and off white. Splotches of wet lace slide down the glass rejoining the cap that remained throughout. Murkier and a green tint surfaced on the second pour.

Smell was apple cider like. Spicy. Only light notes of a wet basement. Understated for a Fantome beer. No hints of the high alcohol content.

Taste was spicy and malty. Light tartness masks the high alcohol. Very drinkable. Cherries, fruity. Light bitterness but not funky.

Mouthfeel was somewhat slick with a medium to full body.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Capped and corked bottle cellared for over a year. Was excited to open this one and expected another great offering from Fantome.

Beautiful bronze color with a huge egg shell white head that ever so slowly faded leaving gobs of lace. Plenty of fine carbonation.

Smell of cloves, spice(s), a little wild farmhouse funk in there too. Some straw and grass thrown in for good measure. Nice yeasty notes and flowery.

Taste was somewhat dissapointing, not what I was expecting. There is a subtle smoke quality with a little charred oak in the mix. Surprising, but in a good way. A faint metallic. Seemed a bit bland to me, even with all the spices.

Rich mouthfeel, creamy and smooth. Not as tart or funky as I hoped.

Overall, considering it a winter version, it was enjoyable. The alcohol is not evident at all until it warms up. Glad to try it finally.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Drank at Monk's House of Ale Repute in a 750ml bottle. First place I've seen this in town. Pours an extremely murky medium brown with an off white head that has a long stay. With a good swirl this brew leaves a slight lacing around the glass. Carbonation is low to medium. The smell is somewhat sour and the taste follows in accordingly. Fairly rich but easy to drink and definitely worth trying if you have the chance. Fantome makes some excellent brews and this one does not disappoint by any means. Great holiday brew. Would suggest this to anyone who enjoys sours or beers of the sort.

4.53/5  rDev +15.9%

.75l bomber into tulip glass for review #200.

Pours with a nice 3f worth of off-white head with tons of visible carbonation up the sides of a deep brown/orange colored and opaque body. Bunch of chunks hangin' out on the floor.

Aromas of summer apricots, vanilla, apple cider, with some seasonal spice for good measure.

Flavor was refreshing and fruity. Apple cider, cranberries, plenty of spicy yeast, and some earthy/dirty quality in the back. No noticeable alcohol - which fully surprised me.

Mouthfeel was quite possibly the thinnest/ lightest of any 10% you can buy. Incredibly smooth. Slightly sour pucker.

Overall, a tremendously easy drinking selection that would match very well with any traditional American holiday dinner. It does not dominate the palate, and goes down better than most 5-6% saisons.

Fantôme De Noel from Brasserie Fantôme