Fantôme Brise-BonBons | Brasserie Fantôme

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by goodbyeohio on 06-11-2005

Reviews: 179 | Ratings: 353
4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Kind of a glowing orange body. Thick looking. Quite hazy. Cigarette stained white head. Great blend of musty yeastiness, fruitiness (nectarines/apricots) and hoppiness on the nose. The aroma is earthy and hearty as many of Fantome's brews are. The earthiness translates onto the buds nicely. Grassy hop notes are definitely present. As is a bitterness not usually associated with Fantome (or Belgian brews in general for that matter). A little acidity is noted and paired with its accompanying tartness. But it's very low key. Lemon zest and orange rind come into play as well. Hop derived in all probability. This is nice tasting for sure. The mouthfeel is soft. Just a little bit of a prick from the CO2. Body is approaching medium. All in all this is another solid brew from Fantome.

Many thanks to my freind in Long Beach...Darren.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Poured into an Ommegang goblet that I like to use for saisons. Looks to be pouring nearly flat....no check that, there's some late carbonation, but still not too much. Unfiltered apple juice color with very light carbonation. Not the most attractive beer I've ever poured. Thankfully, though, it isn't quite flat. This is still disturbing, though, as I have had issues with other bottles of flat Fantome.

S - As always with Fantome, an interesting nose. A little like apple juice, with some strong vegetal/herbal notes coming through. Some rose and/or lavender petal, some cooked asparagus, with a tinge of a tart, leathery aroma.

T - I could swear I've had this beer before. Be honest, is this a Jolly Pumpkin beer? Did someone change a label on me? This is supposed to be Fantome's hoppy beer, isn't it? If that's the case, where are the hops? I don't taste any noble hops, much less American hops, which raises the very real possibility that this is not a fresh bottle. I see "best before" notches on the bottle, but none are notched, so I have no idea. Oh well, I'll go with the flow. This *is* both bitter and sour at the same time, though I'm hard pressed to suggest that the bitterness I'm tasting comes from hops. A leathery, sour fermented orange juice hits first, giving way to a grassy taste....wheatgrass. Weird....and now a bug just flew into my beer. That's a first. Was that random coincidence, or was there something in the beer that attracted the insect? This being Fantome, I'm leaning toward the latter. I fish the insect out of the beer with a spoon and soldier on.

F - I like my farmhouse ales to have more substantial carbonation than this. This has the soft carbonation of a barleywine twice its strength. It feels limp on the palate, though it has the benefit of not being as burpy as a normal saison.

D - I'm on my third glass of this, and I'm only beginning to "get it." I think I have a pretty well-traveled palate, but even so this one was a bit of a struggle for me. I wouldn't buy again unless I can be assured of its freshness. No point in buying a hoppy farmhouse ale that isn't hoppy, is there? Also, looking at some of the reviews below me, the low carbonation seems to have been a problem for others as well, so there might be more than a few bad bottles floating around out there. Will re-review and adjust my score if I ever get to try a hopefully-representative bottle. This was not a hoppy farmhouse ale, this was a funky wild ale lacking in carbonation.

Edit:

Well, I was able to sample a better bottle, and I am going to have to eat my above words. Appearance was a ton better. Aroma carried more of the crisp hop I expected while still maintaining that Fantome flowery/leathery aroma. Great clean flowery hop on the palate - hoppy for a saison, not DIPA hoppy mind you. Very enjoyable. I don't think I'll be doubting Dany's beers anymore - after a rocky start when I first tried his stuff, he's been on a string of superlative winners with me.

4.46/5  rDev +9.9%

Dany does it again...

Appearance: Having what may just be my favorite all-time beer label, Brise-BonBons! pours a pale orange with a massive head -- plenty of clinging lace.

Smell: A very citrus-y nose with some light berry notes. Some Saison yeast is apparent and appropriate.

Taste: Sweet, bitter and refreshing. A real explosion for your pallate, yet subdued -- quite elegant. There is a restrained bitterness -- more pronounced than other Saisons -- that is lingering and pleasant. Lots of Low-coho hops. A nice tartness as well. Very yummy. Strawberry and even a little raspberry is apparent, as is some sort of tea.

Mouthfeel: Fantastic. Full, yet not filling. Strong carbonation works well with the tart and the bitter. Dry, but the fruitiness prevents it from being too dry. Very nicely done.

Overall: 8%? You have to kidding me. The mouthfeel indicates a solid 5% session beer. For reals, this beer is excellent. I highly encourage you to seek some out. I have one more bottle after this, and then a trip to the store.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at LaBodega in Riverside, California in October 2005 for $11.99- I got the last bottle!!! And as a one-off, I guess this is my only chance.

I just love the description on the side of the bottle- the Shelton Bros say that this is "dedictated to.... wise-guys, braggarts, pains-in-the-ass, muck-rackers, trouble-makers, know-it-alls..." etc. Which BAs do you think they were thinking of when they wrote that? :-) (just kidding).

Poured into my Orval glass (I flipped a coin between this and Duvel glass). Orval's pretty hoppy, so this should work just fine...

Started drinking this pretty cold, and let it warm over a while. Descriptions based across the temperature profile.

Appearance is a moderate golden, almost orange with a pretty off-white head of tiny bubbles. A little lighter than Orval (since it's in the glass), and the head isn't as white, but otherwise, very similar.

Aroma is very strong. One of the stonger I have smelled.Very solid hops of juniper pine, grass, and slight (very slight) fruit (citrus). A yeasty sharpness very reminiscent of Orval also rises from the glass. The organic funkiness I associate with Fantome is there only slightly- much more subdued than other beers from this brewer (and in my mind, better because of it).

Flavor is a follow-through of the aroma, with a rather strong alcohol ending. Sharp bitterness.

Mouthfeel and drinkability- nice and full, sharpness is a little stronger than I prefer. Dryness and astringency a little stronger than I prefer.

Overall I really like this beer. I am not a big hop lover, but I tend to like the few hoppy Belgian beers that are out there, and this is a very good addition to the suite (even if only for a short time).

750ml bottle.

Pours a very cloudy pale orange, with a very dense one finger head that fades slowly to a solid layer of foam. The cap leaves behind a thick webbing of lace.

Smell; lots of citric fruits with oranges and lemons, but there's also some other tropical fruits with pineapple and mangoes. There's a little bit of tartness swirling around in the back ground as well as bit of a musty funkiness.

Taste; wow, the funky, mustiness that was in the background of the aroma is definitely more present in the flavor, but not overwhelmingly so. Once I get past that, the flavor becomes fruity with the tropical and citric fruits, and finishes dry and a bit on the tart side.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability; mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice smooth, almost creamy carbonation, and the drinkability

This is my first foray into the world of Fantome, and it was an excellent trip. Hopefully the others that are available around here now are just as good, and refreshing as this one has been.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A fizzy golden yellow (leaning toward orange) saison with a one and a half finger high bubbly head. Not as hazy as Saison's often are, pretty damn clear in fact. Periodically beads of carbonation shoot up to the surface.

The nose is funky with lemon, apricot, pepper and some coriander tones. A bit winey or cidery.

A wonderfully complex taste. The hops are present...grassy...though this beer is nowhere near a bitter as it's "ball breaker" name proposes it to be. Lemony, fruity, some pear, green apple, perhaps a very little bit of mellon. A bit sour and acidic...these are such great food beers.

Soft medium mouthfeel with a slight pinch from the carbonatoin.

Another amazing creation from the Fantome Brewery. God do I love the beers he makes

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sunny mimosa with a splash of orange juice. The beer is lightly peppered with fine yeast and the occasional bubble can seen zipping up to a fantastic looking head. The alabaster colored crown, a study in Belgian beer excellence, is leaving one of the most extensive, stickiest lace displays that I've seen in quite some time. Whatever else it is, this is gorgeous beer.

The nose manages to meet the sky-high bar set by the appearance. It's different from any Fantome beer that I've smelled thus far, but still manages to smell like a Fantome beer, if that makes any sense. It's fruitier than most saisons and has a tropical vibe that I'm enjoying immensely. A whiff of yeasty funkiness is evident, although it's far from the defining characteristic.

Brise-BonBons! is wonderful beer in the wild and wacky way that only Dany Prignon can manage. A quick glance at the label tells me that he named it 'ball breakers' and intended it to be too bitter for the normal person to enjoy. Most of the hopheads I know aren't normal people, so where does that leave us?

I wonder whether this is one of the original bottles and is over a year and a half old, or whether it continues to be brewed and I got a relatively fresh one. It isn't overpoweringly bitter, so I'm guessing the former. No matter, it has held up remarkably well and is still much more bitter than the average saison. Assuming, of course, that a style like saison has any sort of consistent rules.

Noble hops are front and center, yet don't overwhelm the other members of the flavor profile. Lemon zest, lemongrass, unripe pears, tamed white pepper and clove make the biggest impressions on the palate. As with most all Fantome beer, Brise-BonBons! is dizzingly complex and its code is not easily cracked. Thankfully, I have 750 ml to try to figure it out.

Perhaps the best part about the beer is the interplay among bitter, sweet and tart. I'm enjoying letting them play off one another in interesting and varied ways as each (large) mouthful progresses. I have no idea what herbs and spices have been used, or whether any have been. I suppose it's possible that a killer yeast strain is responsible for the nearly limitless number of flavors, but I find it hard to believe.

The mouthfeel, while still good, isn't quite as wonderful as the rest of the beer. It's on the lighter side of medium and is nicely carbonated. It just doesn't have that buoyancy, that effervescence that I've come to expect in a world-class Belgian ale.

I wasn't too happy with my last beer from this brewery (Speciale de Noel). Thankfully, this one gets things back on track, reorders the cosmos to a place where Fantome beer is at or near the summit of brewing excellence. If I have one of the original bottlings, I hope to be fortunate enough to taste a more current batch. My balls are still intact, so I welcome the opportunity to test them against a fresh bottle of Brise-BonBons!

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

I was happy to find this one still available a few days after the Blind tiger's saison event. Gotta love Fantome on tap at the Tiger! Anyway, this one poured a cloudy dull golden, supporting a white head and leaving fine, wispy lacing. Nose was multi-faceted, pepper, must, barnyard, earth.
This one hit me as being quite sour.certaintly notions of lambic running around in this concoction. Sort of a lactic, yeasty, wheaty, saisony, Belgian taste missile. Nice peppery spice thing also going on. Tasty, complex, intriguing, not a beer for everybody, but I loved it. Viva Fantome!

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a foggy gold with almost no head even off a very firm pour. Nose is typical yeast but a bit more sugar. Nice earthy qualities on the edge there too. Flavor is very hearty and earthy. Somewhat sugared since it has a touch of a sweet edge to it. Feel is a bit thin. Not as "meaty" as I would have liked. Overall pretty drinkable. another solid saison from Fantome.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a sniffer, thanks to who brought this to the bottle share

Appearance: Cloudy pale straw like yellow with a fluffy white head about a finger thick that fades to a thin lacing over the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very earthy, with spicy hop notes, yeasty, a slight acidity, with pineapple fruit notes, and a touch of funk.

Taste: Citrusy, pleasantly tart and earthy, yeasty and spicy with a little bit of that "Brett" taste.

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium-high carbonation, refreshing and very enjoyable.

Overall: The saison I have souring right now would make me very happy if it tasted like this one. This is one of if not the best Saison I have ever drunk.

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle shared at the Santa Cruz tasting in March. Golden straw color with just absolutely ridiculous lacing. The concentric circular foam blobs are mind-boggling and I literally took pictures after my glass was empty because it was still coated in head. Aroma is tart and funky, very barnyard-esque with hay, wheat, and mild citrus. Flavor is reminiscent of banana and toffee with a divine tartness. Full and satisfying on the palate but not sweet, sticky or cloying. A fantastic beer.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours murky, surprisingly opaque considering I've had it for over a week without disturbing it. Dull yellow/orange body with a large fluffy white head that recedes gradually, eventually leaving just a ring of foam around the beer. Lacing trickles in strands down the glass.

The smell is super dry and spicy lemon zest, a bit musty. Bitter orange peel and grapefruit. Very citrusy and grassy. Yeast and hops dominate.

The flavor begins with sweet citrus flavors, slightly tart but not sour. This is rounded off with a significant amount of bitterness (for a Belgian ale) and finishes dry and yeasty. Though I'm describing flavors that are easy to pin down...I feel like I can't quite go in depth enough...this beer is extremely unique even by Fantôme standards. I also get unique raw honey-like flavors...as the beer warms...or as I get used to it, I begin to recognize the typical Fantôme flavors.

The carbonation is surprisingly pretty low. It just provides a slight tinge which helps deliver the citrus flavors. Despite the low carbonation it was enough body to keep it from feeling watery.

This is a pretty hard beer to put down. I keep taking sips just to try and figure it out. With the amount of body and complexity, it feels like a big beer, but the ABV is hidden fairly well. Split between friends it could retain its refreshing qualities, but having the 750ml to myself is pretty enjoyable too.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle consumed @ The Publick House in Brookline, MA 1/5/06. Poured into oversided wine glasses.

This is a wonderful beer. I smell and taste sour apples, with spiciness. Unlike other saisons, it is less of a peppery spiciness and more of a cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger taste. In a way, it is almost like apple pie. It is very complex and very full-bodied. It is a long-sipping beer, but definitely worth seeking out.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%

This beer poured a hazy golden/orange yellow body with a decent sized white head.

The nose a mixture of mild wheat, soft fruit and some very mild touches of spice. Essentially a straight ahead saison or belgian golden ale. Nothing overly amazing.

Taste is medium to full bodied. Basically.... HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! It starts rather simple then there's this sudden sneak attack of HUGE super dry, citrus lemon peel, hop that just comes out of nowhere and overloads the senses and then disappears without a trace. It almost tastes like someone poured a cap full of lemon pine sol or something into a saison. Leafy, earthy, piney and whole lot of citrus peel. Astringent and hoppy with an even but not deadly bitterness. It ends not as strongly as it comes on.

What a weird, weird beer. It lives up to it's name, it has some serious balls. Sort of De Ranke XX meets saison dupont mixed with a little orval and a dash of stone ruination. An interesting beer I would not hesitate having again.

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours out a really couldy yellow with one finger of white small foamy suds.
Smell is very spicy. Nutmeg and allspice but with a floral quality. Lemon peel and a slight phenol quality out of the nose. Some soapyness. There is everything here for the nose. Perfect.
Taste is a wonderfull mix of hoppy bitterness and a semi-sweet malt sugar. Very refreshing.
Mouthfeel is very clean here. Can't tell if there is any alcohol but can feel it in the aftertaste.
Drinkability is great here again. Just a great beer.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Cork pops nicely from the happy sumo wrestler label. Pours into my Orval chalice a lovely hazy light orange/amber color with a big bubbly popping head. Looks quite nice in the glass, like a wonderful autumn day. Aromas begin with the classic Fantome barnyard yeasty funkiness. Melded with an upfront herbally, spicy hoppiness that jumps out of the glass and sets itself apart from any other Fantome brew. Hints of grains and lemony, citrusy undertones as well. Interesting.

First sip brings a lovely citrus, lemony hinted pale maltiness accentuated by a wonderful musty funkiness. Fresh, vibrant yeast rolls through the flavor. Hops appear mid palate with a herbal, grassy, spicy fresh flavor and bring along a nice bitterness that grabs the palate. The hops work really well in the saison overall and grab my tastebuds with every sip. Slight lingering bitterness and mellow funkiness on the finish. Another wonderful winner from Dany and Fantome.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a healthy carbonation. Floats over the palate like silk and goes down smooth. Easily drinkable and definetly not too bitter for me!! It's always exciting to uncork a new bottle of Fantome and see what you will find. One of my favorite breweries that seemingly always brings me an enjoyable drinking experience. Well worth seeking out and I hope I can find myself upon another bottle sometime soon. Yum. Thanks to eclectic for the opportunity to sample this fine brew.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

pre-holiday tasting at my place attended by me, DrJay, Viggo, biegaman, and northyorksammy. Viggo contributed this bottle. thanks eric!

pours a very hazy yellow with a big white head. drops slow and leaves tons of lace.

aroma is wacky. orange peel. corriander. grapefruit hops. bit of honey.

wacky taste too. bit of funk. lots of bitterness. bit of spice. bit of sourness. kind of an odd mix of saison and ipa, but it really works. very interesting and enjoyable.

mouthfeel is great. nice body and the slightly high carbonation works well.

drinkability is great. odd and interesting beer that i really liked. a must try.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a rich golden yellow, with a nice white head into a tulip glass.

S: Slight fruit undertones, almost sweet.

T: This is definitely not as dry as most saisons. The sweetness and the alcohol break through slightly on the aftertaste, but not overwhelming or unbalanced.

M: Not as thick and heavy as you would expect with the sweetness, but there was more to it than one would expect from a Saison. The carbonation does not overwhelm the pallet as it goes down. Very enjoyable.

O: The Brise-BonBons was a very enjoyable beer. There wasn't any characteristic that dominated. There was no over-powering barnhouse funk, just an smooth drinking, slightly sweet ale.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Draught @ Monks: This one poured a somewhat cloudy, lighter amber color. There was some white head on it, but not much. The nose was interesting: it contained some floral and spice notes, as well as being slightly sour and musty. The taste was also very interesting, There were some sour notes, as well as some lighter fruit flavors. Also some hopiness to it. Very interesting and quite refreshing!

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

from 750ml bottle no date stamp on side

A- pours a hazy golden color with a fresh white 1.5 finger head that is slow to recede it reveals very nice lacing and the collar and ring are very fresh

S- lemongrass,floral/noble hops,mint,pepper and belgian yeast

T- sweet malt,fruit and bread are met with a floral hop middle ,its mixed with light candied fruit,,baked bread,lemongrass,fantome funk but this one has a hop precense thru-out..it only complements the saison .just different than any other fantome ive had i get mint and tea flavors a dash of pepper

M- is crisp first with hops but also tart with lemon funk yeast and fruit a .just right carbonation a dry finish a little bitter in a good way

O- a hoppy saison from fantome,delightful to drink a touch sweeter/bitter than the regular and still trademark creamy smooth delicious ..this bottle i had was very fresh tasting..nice lacing til the end.. a superb saison

Fantôme Brise-BonBons

Appearance: yellow-orange, medium head, and good lacing.

Smell: skunky, flowery, yeast, and a vanilla-like aroma.

Taste: semi sweetness, yeast, and some nice spices.

Mouthfeel: medium and smooth.

Overall:
This is a very nice saison. It is very smooth and not strong flavored, but full flavored.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Another good saison from Fantome. Plenty hoppy. This beer is evidently VERY photosensitive, so make sure you take a bottle from the deepest darkest depths of the shelves should you happen to see it somewhere. I took my bottle from an unopened case in the basement of my store, so it was fine, but I've heard horror stories from people who bought one from the shelf.

The beer pours to a clear, golden yellow color with a thin white head. Hardly any lacing.

The smell is very good. Has the complex hay-like aroma of a saison with a shit-ton of hops on top.

The flavor is no different. Grassy and herbal hops with a dry spicy finish. Sweet up front with a lot of complexity in between. As I drink it I become more and more aware of the sulfuric flavor from skunked hops, though it is just barely above my threshold of unpleasentness.

This is a good all around beer. I would drink it again, but I'm too wary of buying a new bottle, since the remainder of it has been on our shelf for a while.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims for $8.99. This beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Appearance: The beer has a very hazy golden yellow coloration. The head is a honey white coloration. The head lasted throughout the drinking of the beer. The beer had loads and loads of sediment.

Smell: The beer has a spicy load up of cloves, cinamon, coriander, spicy musty yeastyness, sour lemon and lime, as well as, a big malty breadyness.

Taste: The beer lulled me in with a nice malty breadyness. Then my taste exploded in chaos. The beer goes off like a spice bomb combo of lemon lime zest, cloves, all spice, sour astringent lemon juice, bananna esters, peppery coriander, alum, dirty funky yeastyness. Needless to say the pucker factor is pretty high. The taste never reaches ball busting potential. The beer has a peppery bone dry finish. The beer is dam tasty.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a light body. The beer has a very bone dry finish. The beer seems to have a gritty mouthfeel. The beer is oddly pleasing and highly refreshing.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a corked and capped 750ml into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip.

This beer pours a hazy natural honey brown with a 3 inch cap that quickly turns into a rim around the inside of the glass mixed with soapy lacing down the sides of the glass. The head is a bit perplexing for me. Normally, Fantôme's beers have foam that lasts for days. This one is gone with in what seemed like seconds. The aroma is huge and quickly, after popping the cork, starts flowing through the room. Noticeable on the aroma is the typical Fantôme funk. Green bottle funk mixed with earthy dampness, cut grass and Belgian yeast esters. Underneath lies ripe tree fruits mixed with just a little banana. At the very back of the aroma profile lies just a bit of medicinal bitterness. The flavor profile isn't the most typical of Saisons. Up front, like all of Dany's beers, is the Fantôme funk. Light earthy tones reminiscent of damp earth and cut grass. Just of hint of must. Around all that is a plethora of fruit. Ripe pear, apple and just a bit of estery banana. Very little spice. At the back end of the flavor profile comes the bitterness. Now, unlike what the label says, this can never be classified as a bitter beer. Not really even a bitter Saison. It is bitter for Fantôme. Medicinal bitterness akin to letting a aspirin sit on your tongue just a bit to long at the very end of the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is dead on. Up front there is a nice creaminess but once you swallow a cakey dryness zaps the moisture off the palate. Perfect, but honestly, I would be disappointed if it wasn't.

When reviewing beers, I always find myself down grading a beer and its rare that I actually find myself up grading. As I review this beer, I like it more and more. Another fantastic outing by Dany Prignon.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

750ml capped and corked bottle purchased from K & L Wine Merchants in Redwood City, CA. Brought back to share with Sam & Rich during our Fantôme tasting day.

Pours a very light and pleasantly clear golden hue, with a frothy, messy and rather sticky head of pure white, bubbly foam. Lacing is chunk and forms honeycombed patterns across the inside of the glass. Some fine carbonation, but surprisingly little. Body is quite light. It looks quite refined, but a little bit aloof, like it has hidden secrets.

Nose is smooth, classic and very pleasant. Slight green vegetative bite, with a smooth, rounded Belgian yeast overtone. Light, lilting citrus characters, with an underlying sweetness that gives a sherbet or fairy-floss undertone. It's really very nice, if lacking some real bang.

Taste is clean and crisp, with some mild lemon pith characters around the edges of the palate, and a direct, mildly bitter note through the centre. Some peppery characters come through on the end, along with the first truly earthy, rustic character—but even then it's quite subdued for a Saison; it comes through as a strong Belgian golden ale would.

Feel is light, but a little bit acidic: even though there's not a lot of tartness or true acidity in the flavour.

Overall, this is a really very nice Saison indeed. It's clean and fragrant and classic, and superbly refreshing. It's light, but it has subtle complexity throughout. A real winner, as far as I'm concerned.

Fantôme Brise-BonBons from Brasserie Fantôme