Fantôme Brise-BonBons | Brasserie Fantôme

fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by goodbyeohio on 06-11-2005

750ml bottle 8,0% Abv.
Served chilled in a wine glass.
No bottle date or vintage.

Appearance: Brise-BonBons looks fairly typical for a saison; with a lightly clouded bright golden-orange body topped by a massive white head. The head lasts fantastically well and leaves thick patches of lacing as it recedes.

Smell: I was a little worried about about this bottle given the recent talk of quality issues from Fantome, but the first sniff lets me know that this is just a good as the other Fantomes I have had and perfect for this hot summers day. Fantastic light citrus notes (lemon peel and some orange) combine with slightly musty yeast, a touch of dusty sack, grassy and floral notes, some pale malt, a little stone fruits and a touch of pear.

Taste: Given the description on the bottle I was expecting a fair amount of bitterness here, but both the bitterness and hop characteristics are very restrained (I wonder if this is an aged bottle?). That said, it is still absolutely delicious and I would be hesitant to change anything. Notes include: Lemon peel, orange, sweeter stone fruits, a lightly musty character, a little sweetness (honey?), pear, grassy notes and light meadow flowers. Even at room temperature there is no trace of alcohol noted.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is just about perfect for the flavour profile - light-medium bodied with just less than a high level of carbonation.

Overall: Brise-BonBons is a fantastic saison and was just perfect for a hot summers day. I could have easily crushed anothe bottle or two and will certainly be buying this one again.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Purchased this tonight at O'Briens with the intention of taking it back to Tampa with me for the holidays. Nope, not gonna happen... cork is coming out right now.

750ml bottle, capped, corked, pours a hazy yellowed orange hue and makes a dense and creamy white head. Nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma is dominated by musty, barnyard yeastiness, there's some banana esters somewhere in the background, but this is mostly funky. Strong honey and caramel malts can be found along with a bunch of earthy, grassy hops.

Flavor opens with a medium bittering on the tongue, some tart citrus fruits, spicy pepper and a very earthy hop taste. A light sweetness lingers and there's a really subdued hint of green olives, chewy bitter finish. This is an explosion in my mouth, the flavor profile here is insane.

This is incredibly well balanced on the palate, starts with peppery carbonation and becomes creamy, finishes very dry.

This is a very interesting and tasty offering from Dany Prignon. The more I sample from Fantôme, the more respect I have. This beer is awesome, has everything I like about a saison and is really hoppy. I will have this again and that is a friggin promise.

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

Venturing into the old farmhouse on a cloudy day... The sunset of muddy orange and a thick cloud cover that leaves streaks across the sky. "Do you think she's still here? She's been dead for 12 years you know..."
The door creaks open and the aroma smacks me in the face. Old horse blankets in a tattered pile in the corner, along with the musty, woody smell of the dusty barn itself. Some sorts of small animals have been urinating on the blankets as well, the faintly wet aroma also slinks slowly into the nostrils amidst the heft of the other notes.
A bit of hard-tack for you? Or a slice of fruit? Green apple and a good cheese chunk as we ransack the place looking for any clue as to her whereabouts. The aromas mingle with the flavors we are enjoying, and give the whole thing a library-bookish-wet-horse-blanket appeal, a musty way of remembering... Isn't it interesting, once again, how smells can bring back the most poignant memories?
I light a cigarette, trying to cooly shake off the chill in my bones. A floor-tile loose, the thick wood with a brass handle... "pull it up, pull it up!" And there she is, still clutching the vial of poison that ended the story.
"But how if she's under here, how...?" It gives you a few minutes. She must have closed it behind her.
No sense in not draining it... A dry touch to the lips, somehow velvety carbonated after all this time... A bitterness in the finish, must be the hemlock, and the astringency of the whole mouth upon each swallow... A hint of the green apple comes back up with bile, I'm going to die, I'm going to die... Sleep now. Sleep, and remember. You have lived a full life, you can die happy.

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

peachy and cloudy with loose clumpy foam floating there, calling out to me. smells of the standard fantome horse blanket with a welcome citrus tinge, black pepper and hints of fresh-cut salami.

divinely light and smooth saison/lambic, with the accent lifted off the sourness in favor of a chewy, botanical hoppiness rounding out the experience. aggressively hopped for a belgian. and mysteriously, this experimental brew yields such a refreshing and light body for something so full of flavor and alcohol.

awesome, bubbly, drinkable. another great entry from fantome, one that succeeds in its bizarre nature.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Kind of a glowing orange body. Thick looking. Quite hazy. Cigarette stained white head. Great blend of musty yeastiness, fruitiness (nectarines/apricots) and hoppiness on the nose. The aroma is earthy and hearty as many of Fantome's brews are. The earthiness translates onto the buds nicely. Grassy hop notes are definitely present. As is a bitterness not usually associated with Fantome (or Belgian brews in general for that matter). A little acidity is noted and paired with its accompanying tartness. But it's very low key. Lemon zest and orange rind come into play as well. Hop derived in all probability. This is nice tasting for sure. The mouthfeel is soft. Just a little bit of a prick from the CO2. Body is approaching medium. All in all this is another solid brew from Fantome.

Many thanks to my freind in Long Beach...Darren.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Poured into an Ommegang goblet that I like to use for saisons. Looks to be pouring nearly flat....no check that, there's some late carbonation, but still not too much. Unfiltered apple juice color with very light carbonation. Not the most attractive beer I've ever poured. Thankfully, though, it isn't quite flat. This is still disturbing, though, as I have had issues with other bottles of flat Fantome.

S - As always with Fantome, an interesting nose. A little like apple juice, with some strong vegetal/herbal notes coming through. Some rose and/or lavender petal, some cooked asparagus, with a tinge of a tart, leathery aroma.

T - I could swear I've had this beer before. Be honest, is this a Jolly Pumpkin beer? Did someone change a label on me? This is supposed to be Fantome's hoppy beer, isn't it? If that's the case, where are the hops? I don't taste any noble hops, much less American hops, which raises the very real possibility that this is not a fresh bottle. I see "best before" notches on the bottle, but none are notched, so I have no idea. Oh well, I'll go with the flow. This *is* both bitter and sour at the same time, though I'm hard pressed to suggest that the bitterness I'm tasting comes from hops. A leathery, sour fermented orange juice hits first, giving way to a grassy taste....wheatgrass. Weird....and now a bug just flew into my beer. That's a first. Was that random coincidence, or was there something in the beer that attracted the insect? This being Fantome, I'm leaning toward the latter. I fish the insect out of the beer with a spoon and soldier on.

F - I like my farmhouse ales to have more substantial carbonation than this. This has the soft carbonation of a barleywine twice its strength. It feels limp on the palate, though it has the benefit of not being as burpy as a normal saison.

D - I'm on my third glass of this, and I'm only beginning to "get it." I think I have a pretty well-traveled palate, but even so this one was a bit of a struggle for me. I wouldn't buy again unless I can be assured of its freshness. No point in buying a hoppy farmhouse ale that isn't hoppy, is there? Also, looking at some of the reviews below me, the low carbonation seems to have been a problem for others as well, so there might be more than a few bad bottles floating around out there. Will re-review and adjust my score if I ever get to try a hopefully-representative bottle. This was not a hoppy farmhouse ale, this was a funky wild ale lacking in carbonation.

Edit:

Well, I was able to sample a better bottle, and I am going to have to eat my above words. Appearance was a ton better. Aroma carried more of the crisp hop I expected while still maintaining that Fantome flowery/leathery aroma. Great clean flowery hop on the palate - hoppy for a saison, not DIPA hoppy mind you. Very enjoyable. I don't think I'll be doubting Dany's beers anymore - after a rocky start when I first tried his stuff, he's been on a string of superlative winners with me.

4.46/5  rDev +9.9%

Dany does it again...

Appearance: Having what may just be my favorite all-time beer label, Brise-BonBons! pours a pale orange with a massive head -- plenty of clinging lace.

Smell: A very citrus-y nose with some light berry notes. Some Saison yeast is apparent and appropriate.

Taste: Sweet, bitter and refreshing. A real explosion for your pallate, yet subdued -- quite elegant. There is a restrained bitterness -- more pronounced than other Saisons -- that is lingering and pleasant. Lots of Low-coho hops. A nice tartness as well. Very yummy. Strawberry and even a little raspberry is apparent, as is some sort of tea.

Mouthfeel: Fantastic. Full, yet not filling. Strong carbonation works well with the tart and the bitter. Dry, but the fruitiness prevents it from being too dry. Very nicely done.

Overall: 8%? You have to kidding me. The mouthfeel indicates a solid 5% session beer. For reals, this beer is excellent. I highly encourage you to seek some out. I have one more bottle after this, and then a trip to the store.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at LaBodega in Riverside, California in October 2005 for $11.99- I got the last bottle!!! And as a one-off, I guess this is my only chance.

I just love the description on the side of the bottle- the Shelton Bros say that this is "dedictated to.... wise-guys, braggarts, pains-in-the-ass, muck-rackers, trouble-makers, know-it-alls..." etc. Which BAs do you think they were thinking of when they wrote that? :-) (just kidding).

Poured into my Orval glass (I flipped a coin between this and Duvel glass). Orval's pretty hoppy, so this should work just fine...

Started drinking this pretty cold, and let it warm over a while. Descriptions based across the temperature profile.

Appearance is a moderate golden, almost orange with a pretty off-white head of tiny bubbles. A little lighter than Orval (since it's in the glass), and the head isn't as white, but otherwise, very similar.

Aroma is very strong. One of the stonger I have smelled.Very solid hops of juniper pine, grass, and slight (very slight) fruit (citrus). A yeasty sharpness very reminiscent of Orval also rises from the glass. The organic funkiness I associate with Fantome is there only slightly- much more subdued than other beers from this brewer (and in my mind, better because of it).

Flavor is a follow-through of the aroma, with a rather strong alcohol ending. Sharp bitterness.

Mouthfeel and drinkability- nice and full, sharpness is a little stronger than I prefer. Dryness and astringency a little stronger than I prefer.

Overall I really like this beer. I am not a big hop lover, but I tend to like the few hoppy Belgian beers that are out there, and this is a very good addition to the suite (even if only for a short time).

750ml bottle.

Pours a very cloudy pale orange, with a very dense one finger head that fades slowly to a solid layer of foam. The cap leaves behind a thick webbing of lace.

Smell; lots of citric fruits with oranges and lemons, but there's also some other tropical fruits with pineapple and mangoes. There's a little bit of tartness swirling around in the back ground as well as bit of a musty funkiness.

Taste; wow, the funky, mustiness that was in the background of the aroma is definitely more present in the flavor, but not overwhelmingly so. Once I get past that, the flavor becomes fruity with the tropical and citric fruits, and finishes dry and a bit on the tart side.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability; mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice smooth, almost creamy carbonation, and the drinkability

This is my first foray into the world of Fantome, and it was an excellent trip. Hopefully the others that are available around here now are just as good, and refreshing as this one has been.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A fizzy golden yellow (leaning toward orange) saison with a one and a half finger high bubbly head. Not as hazy as Saison's often are, pretty damn clear in fact. Periodically beads of carbonation shoot up to the surface.

The nose is funky with lemon, apricot, pepper and some coriander tones. A bit winey or cidery.

A wonderfully complex taste. The hops are present...grassy...though this beer is nowhere near a bitter as it's "ball breaker" name proposes it to be. Lemony, fruity, some pear, green apple, perhaps a very little bit of mellon. A bit sour and acidic...these are such great food beers.

Soft medium mouthfeel with a slight pinch from the carbonatoin.

Another amazing creation from the Fantome Brewery. God do I love the beers he makes

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sunny mimosa with a splash of orange juice. The beer is lightly peppered with fine yeast and the occasional bubble can seen zipping up to a fantastic looking head. The alabaster colored crown, a study in Belgian beer excellence, is leaving one of the most extensive, stickiest lace displays that I've seen in quite some time. Whatever else it is, this is gorgeous beer.

The nose manages to meet the sky-high bar set by the appearance. It's different from any Fantome beer that I've smelled thus far, but still manages to smell like a Fantome beer, if that makes any sense. It's fruitier than most saisons and has a tropical vibe that I'm enjoying immensely. A whiff of yeasty funkiness is evident, although it's far from the defining characteristic.

Brise-BonBons! is wonderful beer in the wild and wacky way that only Dany Prignon can manage. A quick glance at the label tells me that he named it 'ball breakers' and intended it to be too bitter for the normal person to enjoy. Most of the hopheads I know aren't normal people, so where does that leave us?

I wonder whether this is one of the original bottles and is over a year and a half old, or whether it continues to be brewed and I got a relatively fresh one. It isn't overpoweringly bitter, so I'm guessing the former. No matter, it has held up remarkably well and is still much more bitter than the average saison. Assuming, of course, that a style like saison has any sort of consistent rules.

Noble hops are front and center, yet don't overwhelm the other members of the flavor profile. Lemon zest, lemongrass, unripe pears, tamed white pepper and clove make the biggest impressions on the palate. As with most all Fantome beer, Brise-BonBons! is dizzingly complex and its code is not easily cracked. Thankfully, I have 750 ml to try to figure it out.

Perhaps the best part about the beer is the interplay among bitter, sweet and tart. I'm enjoying letting them play off one another in interesting and varied ways as each (large) mouthful progresses. I have no idea what herbs and spices have been used, or whether any have been. I suppose it's possible that a killer yeast strain is responsible for the nearly limitless number of flavors, but I find it hard to believe.

The mouthfeel, while still good, isn't quite as wonderful as the rest of the beer. It's on the lighter side of medium and is nicely carbonated. It just doesn't have that buoyancy, that effervescence that I've come to expect in a world-class Belgian ale.

I wasn't too happy with my last beer from this brewery (Speciale de Noel). Thankfully, this one gets things back on track, reorders the cosmos to a place where Fantome beer is at or near the summit of brewing excellence. If I have one of the original bottlings, I hope to be fortunate enough to taste a more current batch. My balls are still intact, so I welcome the opportunity to test them against a fresh bottle of Brise-BonBons!

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

I was happy to find this one still available a few days after the Blind tiger's saison event. Gotta love Fantome on tap at the Tiger! Anyway, this one poured a cloudy dull golden, supporting a white head and leaving fine, wispy lacing. Nose was multi-faceted, pepper, must, barnyard, earth.
This one hit me as being quite sour.certaintly notions of lambic running around in this concoction. Sort of a lactic, yeasty, wheaty, saisony, Belgian taste missile. Nice peppery spice thing also going on. Tasty, complex, intriguing, not a beer for everybody, but I loved it. Viva Fantome!

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a foggy gold with almost no head even off a very firm pour. Nose is typical yeast but a bit more sugar. Nice earthy qualities on the edge there too. Flavor is very hearty and earthy. Somewhat sugared since it has a touch of a sweet edge to it. Feel is a bit thin. Not as "meaty" as I would have liked. Overall pretty drinkable. another solid saison from Fantome.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a sniffer, thanks to who brought this to the bottle share

Appearance: Cloudy pale straw like yellow with a fluffy white head about a finger thick that fades to a thin lacing over the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very earthy, with spicy hop notes, yeasty, a slight acidity, with pineapple fruit notes, and a touch of funk.

Taste: Citrusy, pleasantly tart and earthy, yeasty and spicy with a little bit of that "Brett" taste.

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium-high carbonation, refreshing and very enjoyable.

Overall: The saison I have souring right now would make me very happy if it tasted like this one. This is one of if not the best Saison I have ever drunk.

4.41/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle shared at the Santa Cruz tasting in March. Golden straw color with just absolutely ridiculous lacing. The concentric circular foam blobs are mind-boggling and I literally took pictures after my glass was empty because it was still coated in head. Aroma is tart and funky, very barnyard-esque with hay, wheat, and mild citrus. Flavor is reminiscent of banana and toffee with a divine tartness. Full and satisfying on the palate but not sweet, sticky or cloying. A fantastic beer.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours murky, surprisingly opaque considering I've had it for over a week without disturbing it. Dull yellow/orange body with a large fluffy white head that recedes gradually, eventually leaving just a ring of foam around the beer. Lacing trickles in strands down the glass.

The smell is super dry and spicy lemon zest, a bit musty. Bitter orange peel and grapefruit. Very citrusy and grassy. Yeast and hops dominate.

The flavor begins with sweet citrus flavors, slightly tart but not sour. This is rounded off with a significant amount of bitterness (for a Belgian ale) and finishes dry and yeasty. Though I'm describing flavors that are easy to pin down...I feel like I can't quite go in depth enough...this beer is extremely unique even by Fantôme standards. I also get unique raw honey-like flavors...as the beer warms...or as I get used to it, I begin to recognize the typical Fantôme flavors.

The carbonation is surprisingly pretty low. It just provides a slight tinge which helps deliver the citrus flavors. Despite the low carbonation it was enough body to keep it from feeling watery.

This is a pretty hard beer to put down. I keep taking sips just to try and figure it out. With the amount of body and complexity, it feels like a big beer, but the ABV is hidden fairly well. Split between friends it could retain its refreshing qualities, but having the 750ml to myself is pretty enjoyable too.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fantôme Brise-BonBons from Brasserie Fantôme