Fantôme Pissenlit | Brasserie Fantôme

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

11%

2.11/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

woof. took 3 sips and dumped it.

2.25/5  rDev -45%

from a 750 into a wine glass, as it was either that or a frosted mug (no way!).

Note- there was ZERO carbonation in this bottle. None. Never had a flatter beer.

A- A ....dandelion color. Almost a hazy pineapple juice with a dash of copper coloration. absolutely zero head.

S- Funky, for sure. Wet grass clippings, mild earthy/wheat notes, and a hint of stinky artisan cheese.

T- Follows the nose. Funky, grassy, a bit harsh considering the style. There's definite horse-blanket and musty cobweb flavors, a mild (rotten?) fruit note, hmmm.... The taste is decidedly more earthy than the nose would suggest. This flavor is not my favorite.

M- Here's where the beer falls apart. NO carbonation. I've never had a less carbonated beer. I feel if there was a bit of zing in this beer, it would have gone a long way to smoothing out the flavors and not being so heavy on the tongue. As it is, I struggled to finish this beer. Absolutely horrible lack of carbonation. You could pass this off as juice or tea... honestly.

D- Low to none. If this beer was carbonated, the off-putting flavors might have worked better. As it is, I cannot recommend this beer. I feel let down, as Fantome Saison is one of my top all-time beers, and I was looking forward to see what else in their lineup would knock my socks off. This one did not.

I may have had a bad bottle, due to the lack of carbonation... but @ $13 a bottle I won't be buying another one to confirm.

2.48/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pour a clear yellow color. A one finger white head rises, then recedes in a second. No lace.
S: Funky, cheese, and plastic phenols. Some lemon and vinegar tartness in the nose as well. Though mostly, plastic band aid aromas.
T: Follows the nose with an intense funk and plastic phenolic flavor. Very unpleasant and harsh. A bit of lemony tartness works it way through, but very one sided.
M/D: A light to medium body. Very effervescent, and dry. To much so. I can feel the carbonation on my tongue. A little watery as well. Not something I want to drink.

After several tries of this, it is time to put my thoughts down. I did not enjoy this. To much plastic phenols for me tastes. I found nothing here I want to come back to.

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

2.59/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a 750 mL bottle of Pissenlit 2003 served in a goblet. The ale is cold.

A: The saison has a hazy yellow-orange color with big head that does not lace well.

S: The smell is very funky, barnyard, almost unpleasant.

T: Taste has a slightly lactic, pucker edge. Flavor is very gamey and funky. There are no discernible flavors that grab you, as the beer has taken the natural fermentation too far.

M: Not good, the flavors are at once sour and harsh.

D: Below average, pass on this for Fantome Saison. Again Fantôme confounds me. The ale is cutting edge, but too far off said edge, making it difficult to enjoy.

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip. Thanks to SneezyAchew for handing me this one.

A: Oh shit. Slime bottle. Big time. This shit pours like snot mixed with honey. I filled up about half the ‘bowl’ of the tulip, and a finger of thin head appeared. Miraculously though, over the course of about 5 minutes the extremely dense and fine head slowly rose up and filled the rest of the glass all the way to the brim. This very impressive column of foam sat there for over the ten minutes it took me to muster the courage to take a sip of this beer. I think the head would have lasted until the next morning had I left this glass on the counter. Liquid score = 1, head score and retention = 5. Appearance score = 3.0? Sure why not.
S: I get notes of vinous white wine, oak barrel, dandelions, grass, earthy must, and strange notes of a good kind of funk mixed with a sharp pediococcus and lactic bad kind of funk. Am I going to get sick from drinking this? I get some notes of lemon and citrus as well.
T: Flavor follows the nose. It’s a little sharp but actually not that bad. Citrus rind, flowers, oak, and sharp wee beasties dominate. Very earthy and spring-like all around. The finish is very gritty and dry, and my mouth is coated in some kind of film after each swallow.
M: Very thick, chewy and creamy. This isn’t thick in a stout kind of way, this is thick in a cough syrup type of way. This is about the farthest thing from refreshing as you could get. The head is like drinking mousse.
O: What a disappointment. I drank as much as I could but there’s no way my stomach could handle a whole bottle of this. It wasn’t so much the taste as the appearance and the texture. This just didn’t satisfy my beer or saison craving.

2.82/5  rDev -31.1%

Bottle poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Deep, dark orange body, with two fingers of off white soapy head. Head hangs around for a while and leaves some sticky lacing.

Smell: Burst of lemony citrus right from the popping of the cork. Some white pepper, a light funk, and a light astringency.

Taste: More citrus and lemon, plus some nice yeasty sweetness. White pepper and cloves come out next, along with some bread and a light hay. The only downside is a light rubber cement on the finish... I'm glad I consumed this now because I feel like this flavor would grow given time.
EDIT: As it warms, this is awful. Straight up rubber cement

Mouthfeel: Rather heavier than I was expecting for a "spring" saison. Juicy, yet dry. A slightest hint of alcohol comes through on the finish.

Overall: Enjoyable at first, but the rubber cement becomes overpowering.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Consumed on 9/18/2009 and poured into a snifter. Thanks for opening this, Torry. The beer is a hazed tangerine orange with a miniscule white head. It appears nearly still.

For a liquid avatar of dandelions the smell is pretty good. It's floral with notes of peach. I notice pepper and clove. The taste is light and fruity, with apparent peach and apricot. It's slightly tart with a hint of spiciness. This tastes interesting for what it is.

The mouthfeel ruins this beer. It's almost dead flat with a horrendous viscosity and stickiness that is detrimental to the beer. I had to choke down my 8 ounce sample. Had I been alone I would have drain poured the bottle.

This was a really weird beer. The herbal bitternes from the dandelions was difficult to get past. Giving this beer some time to grow on you might be necessary. I will probably revisit this later and give it more of a chance.

3.03/5  rDev -25.9%

Almost got rid of this. The pour is ridiculous. The head blossoms out of the bottom and looks like big chunks of foam, or yest. It looks like a solid object. I left about a 1/4 inch of space at the top of the glass and within 5 seconds, it was oozing over the sides of the glass. The head is shiny too, almost like its got vegetable oil in it. I had to wrap the glass in a towel to absorb the constant overflow. Even after drinking some of the head, it would continue to rise and overflow. I figure I lost nearly 1/4 of the beer to this. And the head is very thick - thicker than the beer. This was almost enough to stop me.

Aside from the 2/3 of the beer that is white head the rest is a cloudy orange. The head never really settles.

Funky, sour barnyard-y scent. Quite sour. Not sure if that's due to the dandelions or not.

The taste is quite a bit mellower, not nearly as sour. Still, there are noticeable citrus hints. Fresh, farm-y malt taste. Very dry.

Mouthfeel is so-so. The beer itself is lightly carbonated, and pleasantly zesty. But the head never goes away, and it is too thick and oily. Really ruins this.

I'd try more of Fantome's beers...but this one will not be revisited.

3.05/5  rDev -25.4%

Undated bottle at 45 degrees into hand washed and dried tulip
Aroma of unspecified spice, light
Head average (5 cm, aggressive pour), tan, frothy, diminishing to irregular ring and broken layer
Lacing poor – few small islands and reefs of tiny bubbles
Body medium brown/orange, slight haze
Flavor is herbal with no hop bitterness found, just a slightly malty backbone. No alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate light, watery, fizzy carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3, Flavor 3, Palate 3.5, Overall 3. An average beer with weak aroma and flavor: to call them “delicate” would be overly generous and optimistic.

3.16/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Murky muddy brownish orange. Fat tan head with excellent retention. Nose is funk with some sweet malt, I am getting a touch of floral scent but not a ton of fruits. There is some earthy citrus rind. Caramel but light . A woody bit of herbal that is so vague I wish it was more prominent. Taste is muddled. The malts are sweet but are not crisp or well defined. The beer is sticky and overly sweet to the drink at first but seems to lighten up a bit as ti warms. There is something exciting going on so faintly in the background though. Spice starts to come forward and a touch of warmth from alcohol. A bit of pepper and now this is better. The hop herbal is muddy and cloudy to the palate. The funky yeast is a kind of intruder to the drink in a way at first but you start to appreciate it after a while. It seems to be a jumble instead of something clearly envisioned. Finishes with a malty sweetness, something a touch sour and a mild but lingering bitter.

3.17/5  rDev -22.5%