Fantôme Pissenlit | Brasserie Fantôme

Liked:
4.06/5
Alströms:

3.22/5  rDev -20.7%

So it is not everyday I get to crack a new bottle from Fantome. I was actually quite excited to try this one. I had heard some really nice things. Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 09/15/2009.

Ehh on the pour. No head at all, minor bubbles on the side that quickly left and only the slightest bit of lace apparent and even that faded off quite quickly. Dull golden color without much in the way of life in it. Again not terribly impressed here. Aroma was light, small hint of tart apple, lots of grain notes and hints of light floral touches bouncing around the outside of it. But far too light for me to be really engaged. Light flavor, grape peel, flowers, hints of light grassy notes and a lightness to it that really just seemed off to me. Flat feeling on the sips as well, really just not coming across that great to me at all. Light and easy to drink, but I just did not feel really compelled to follow through on it any more, just did not hold my interest.

Overall it was ok, but I would not really have the need to go back to it again. Probably the least complex thing I have had from them by far. Not sure what it was intended to come across as but I am hoping this was not it.

3.25/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Ayellow golden beer with a settling head that is quite creamy and lacing like all Fantome beers.

Smell is light tart with spicy notes and even some maltiness. For a Fantome beer the tartness is quite mild and leaves some room for the malt, which has some caramel malt in there. The pissenlits are present, but that is just because I know. It gives the beer a green, grassy smell. Again very subdued.

Taste is light tart and like the smell this can not be called tart, rather it has a light sourness, that tastes like light lactic acid. There is a herbal, green taste to the beer, like chewing fresh grass. The dandelions must give some bitterness too, which is a tad sharp.
Body is quite thin. Mouthfeel is rough and dry.
Without the typical tartness, this beer has nothing sticking out and is not the best of the Fantome range, although a lot of people will disagree.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

750 mL bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy light orange with a minimal white head, spots of lace, I like the colour, but it looks gloopy.

S: Nice nose, complex notes of lemon and dandelions/wild greens, light funk.

T: Orange, lemon form the predominate flavour, nice complexity, some lactic character.

M: I've got a problem here obviously. This beer is flat, very very minor carbonation if that. Feels viscous and thick in the mouth, like orange juice mixed with maple syrup. Feels almost like Sauternes, but this doesn't have the sweetness and alcohol to make that work; this isn't white wine. Some crisp carbonation would do wonders here. This is not a style where I can forgive this error. This part of the beer sucks. Reminds me of the ropey Cantillon I got some months back.

D: The flavour is good, but the mouthfeel sucks, because of that, I can't recommend this especially at the price point. The Printemps from Fantome is a considerably better buy at this price.

3.39/5  rDev -16.5%

Thanks to ThirstyBird for the opportunity to try this one. Poured a hazy orange with tiny bubbles adhering to the bowl of the glass - zero head, just a tight white band around the perimeter of the glass. Nose was citrus, a little funk, wet horse blanket, a little candi sugar, some sour apple and perhaps a little apricot. Taste consistent with nose; a little tart and the flavors were muted. Mouthfeel really destroyed this one for me - body was between light and medium; however, no carbonation at all. Culminates in a dry finish. Flavorful with a great deal of complexity in the nose; however, the lack of carbonation on this one kills this beer. I'll need to re-try this down the line. I was a bit disappointed by this offering from Fantome - hopefully it was just a bad bottle.

Retried this beer on 5/27/2013:
There's at least a little carbonation this time around; however it is minimal. There's also a smoked malt quality to the flavor which doesn't really come out in the nose that is reminiscent of a Rauchbier.

3.41/5  rDev -16%

A: Hazy orange with a medium-sized off-white head. Some lacings.

S: The aroma is really strange and hard to pinpoint. Malts reminiscent of wheat crackers, a lot of odd spices, some herbal notes. Notes of lemon and yeast.

T: The taste is better than the smell, but still very strange. Somewhat sweet and mildly tart flavors. Notes of malts, odd spices, fresh herbal notes, grass and earthy yeast. Perhaps something in the line of dandelions, but I might be reading to much into this. The finish is mildly bitter and somewhat spicy with notes of malts. Thankfully this one developed nicely in the glass. At first, it was quite bad, but it got better and after a while I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

M: Medium body with somewhat lively carbonation.

D: A strange beer. Decent at best. Very interesting, but flavor-wise it's not very impressive.

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Vint 2012?
Pours golden with and etched surface and excellent clarity. Skunk up front and a good dose of dantellion wine in the face. Some grain and sweet grain in there and good dose of clay. Flavor is grainy with a good sweetness and a nicely subdued yeast character. Nice hop character and nice sweetness. Medium bodied with sharp carb and a wet finish. Nice beer, but not something I’d go nuts for.

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Picked up in Vermont. So this is Fantome's dandelion beer. Lets see how it stacks up to Hill Farmsteads Vera Mae. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear very dark gold with a MASSIVE four finger fizzy white head that slumped down to leave sticky side lacing and a dense, dense quarter inch white head. Quite nice.

S - Light earthy notes along with some faint alcohol notes and that subtle bitter vegetation that comes with dandelions. Not quite as citrusy as Vera Mae.

T - Taste is...well, a bit harsher than I was expecting. Lots of alcohol here, shocking amounts due to it being Fantome. Some faint barnyard funk, along with dandelion. Wow. Can't get over how much alcohol is in this!

M - Mouthfeel isnt bad. Lots of carbonation. Helps it be not quite as boozey but damn.

O - Overall, the harshness of the booze is incredibly rough. Ugh. Maybe some age will help this even out.

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%

Oh my, 8%...I couldn't tell. Had on tap at 'bones last evening. Cloudy chesnut when served, it came topped with a filmy tan head. It pretty much stayed the course. I am getting candi sugar, mustiness, and some kriek like notes from the aroma. Medium in mouthfeel, low carbonation, my tasting notes say: barnyard, dried horsesweat...very horseblankety in flavor. There are some krieklike notes (sour), and also some tannins in the finish. Tasty and unique...but I wouldn't want to drink it all day. One is enough.

3.44/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Into Duvel tulip

Not a whole lot of head. AT ALL. Has a cider/honey viscous quality to it. Slightly turbid. Rustic? On style? I dunno. Not doing a whole lot for me, so for style, I'd say average to slightly below.

Definitely a sweet dandelion thing going on. That's OK. A little Styrian Goldings hoppiness. Definitely herbal; fortunately not chamomile. The dandelion makes it interesting but maybe the sweetness is a little bit much.

I like the acidity here - a trademark of most of the Fantome offerings I've sampled. Still, there's no zip on this fastball. Borderline syrupy. It's got a kick and some nice flavor of dandelion greens. Still, it could use a little pick-me-up.

The little acidity is a savior here, 'cause otherwise it would be sort of hop/dandelion syrup. Very flat but tangy on the finish. Saison? Not in the current sense. Good? Depends on the palate. Interesting? Definitely.

Man, every time I pay 2x other saisons to try a Fantome I sit there and say, "I'm trying. Damn...I'm trying." But quite a few of these have let me down. The culprit? Almost always the carbonation. No exception here. Give this some zip and I have to imagine it would be quite nice. As is it drinks pretty well. This has to be fixed.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Fantôme Pissenlit from Brasserie Fantôme