Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

Ratings: 1,963 |  Reviews: 829

2.37/5  rDev -44.9%

2.39/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I have to say that I am very disappointed in this beer. Perhaps I had a bad bottle, but I just didn't like this beer at all. I shared it with some friends, and they thought the beer was alright, though not their favorite.

Poured a nice amber yellow with a decent head and nice lacing.

Aroma is all over the place. A skunked, barnyard, fruity hoppy conglomeration. It smells better as it warms.

Skunky, bitter, some fruitiness and some bubblegum. But this overriding sensation is a bitterness that makes me not care at all to drink anymore than a few swallows.

Mouthfeel is alright, but again the bitter aftertaste lingers, but not in a good way.

Overall, I am hoping that I just got a bad bottle, because I was extremely disappointed. Were it not for my friends, I would have poured the rest of the 750ml down the drain.

2.49/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Bad 2014 bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -41.4%

Appearance: Murky orange. Looks like a flat Weiss. No carbonation, and zero head after I forced poured it.

Smell: Mandarine orange,basementy.(Is that a word?)

Taste: I'm thinking I gotta bad beer here. It tastes like lemon juice and water. There is no way for me to find out the age of this bottle.

Mouthfeel: Light, watery and flat.

Drinkability: I would only try this again if I knew it was fresher. At $12.00 a bottle, this one was a waste.

2.56/5  rDev -40.5%

Gosh, I really, really wanted to enjoy this beer. Had been looking for Fantome for a long time and my local beer store finally got some. I'm willing to admit that it might have been my own taste buds that were off -- perhaps the bottle was old or I served it too cold -- but I did not enjoy it, and in fact poured it out. To me the beer was not carbonated enough (which is interesting, considering some of the other reviews). Taste was weak, insipid, dull - a pale impression of other saisons that I have had and enjoyed (indeed, Hennepin is one of my favorite beers). I may spring for another bottle one of these days, but I'm not impressed at all.

2.69/5  rDev -37.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Purchased at Monument Wines & Spirits in Concord.

A: Pours a cloudy orange color with gold tint when held to the light. Has a limp half-inch head that recedes quickly into a collar and light filming on top of the brew. Creates nice sheets of lacing when I'm drinking, but none of it clumps to the glass. Fine champagne-like effervescence at the edges.

S: Barnyard funk / rotting fruit explosion upon uncorking, but after a minute or so it fades into a backbone of wild brett funk and hay. Has a small hint of coriander and wheat, reminiscent of a white ale. The fruits bring up the rear in a mixture of lemon rind, orange peel, pineapple, and even mango.

T: Has the fruits I sensed in the aroma: a sweet and lightly tart mixture of lemon, orange, pineapple, and mango. Some brett sourness comes into play in the mid-taste, but it's very subdued. The finish is slightly dry, with a little tingling of coriander spice. However, the overall effect is of drinking a tropical fruit juice with a slightly tart bent to it. Doesn't have as much strength or flavor as I would expect.

M: Thin-to-medium bodied, with high carbonation. Well-masked ABV. Has a slightly watery feel. Leans toward the dry side on the finish.

D: Meh. Not a huge fan of saisons in general, but I've encountered several that had a stronger flavor than this, and it's not worth the ~$15 to me to try it again.

2.77/5  rDev -35.6%

Poured from a corked bottle purchased at Crown Carmel, IN. Although the label has a "best before" indicator it is not notched. I hate that. Importers and distributors often request the brewers leave them unnotched. They should stand up to them and refuse.

Anyway, beer poured into a tuliped chalice. Carbonation appears strikingly and dissapointingly light. Only gets a very thin head despite a vigorous pour. Cloudy yellow colored. Aroma displays a musty element along with lemony fruit, malt sweetness, and some grassy spiciness. Flavor is dominated by a distinct tartness. In fact, more than tart - outright sour. Even a little funky. The lemony fruitiness carries through in flavor, a light touch of peach in there along with some light spiciness, but that funky sour is way too strong for a saison.

I'm pretty certain this a bad bottle, but at $15.99 a pop I won't be purchasing another. Gotta go with what I've got for a rating - very dissapointing.

2.81/5  rDev -34.7%

I'd been waiting a long time to crack this one open, but my patience was far from rewarded. Read on...

Pours a hazy, pale wheat to brilliant dandelion yellow in color. Tiny particulates of white and gray dance about the glass, filling it up. The head is of the purest bleached white, the consistency of frothed egg whites, leaving some sticky stripes of lacing as it goes. So far, so good.

In the nose, sour grain is backed up by an enticing fruitiness, though it's a bit muted. Pears, sourdough and white grapes all make appearances, as do coriander, lemon rind and pepper.

...And here's where it all falls apart. The flavor is so subtle it's hardly noticeable. The slightest burst of the fruity goodness of orange spice and coriander is immediately followed by a pithy dryness. But this tastes almost like a pale wheat ale. If I'm judging by style, this is an abject failure of a beer.

The body is equally disappointing: medium-light body, with a feel just a shade above watery and some wickedly high carbonation. Yikes.

I try not to let a beer's hype affect my perceptions too much, but I was very excited to try this one, and extremely disappointed at the result. Everything I've heard and read about this beer leads me to believe I've received a bad bottle, so I look forward to a second attempt changing my mind.

2.86/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750ml corked with a crown cap green bottle into my NBB glass. It had a notching system on the right side of the front label but no notches - wtf? It was a hazy golden color with a bunch of yeast bits floating around. Excellent carbonation and lacing that slides down the sides after each drink. It had a large off-white fizzy head that quickly settled into a broken foam with a collar.

The aroma was excellent with great spicy overtones. It was very strong when poured but then faded as it warmed up and became very subtle. Was hoping it would stick around more. The taste was off for me. Not sure if a bad bottle since no date and in a green bottle or if it's just the flavor of this one. Fantomes do tend to have funky non-traditional flavors to em so who knows. It starts off good but then the extreme sourness hits you like a smack in the face. Has a strong vinegary, acidic taste which leaves a really nasty after-taste. Other reviews mention a fruitiness which I never got in my bottle which would have been great to offset the sour. The balance was way off. Without it, it's way too sour. I do love sour beers but they are meant to be sour and have the right setup. This one is sour but doesn't have the good base to begin with. For mouthfeel, the carb is great but again really bad after-taste.

Overall, either a bad bottle or a major disappointment. I hope bad bottle and will try again but for now have to go with this review as it could just be the normal flavor. If this is normal, then one and done for me. I love saisons but this one is not good at all.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme