Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

4.3
20%

Reviews: 812 | Ratings: 1,883
3.08/5  rDev -28.4%

The color is a lighter copper with a murkiness that can't hide the flood of bubbling the explodes like a column from the bottom of the glass. The bright white froth of a head has superb retention with all the life in this Saison.

The aroma is dull and malty with a barnyard straw or hay. There is a touch of Apple and pear but it's dry and in the backdrop.

The flavor is dry, smoky, malty, cardboardish with a tad of sweetness.

The feel is exceptionally dry and astringent with a bit of warmth in the chest.

I had my finger crossed when I opened this that my bottle would be good but it looks like I may have received a sub par example. Not nearly as bad as some but i'll have to try again.

3.1/5  rDev -27.9%

A: Pours a cloudy yellow/orange color. At first a two finger white head forms, but recedes in a second. Very light lace is left behind.
S: Funky barnyard and bready yeast up front. Lemon zest and some spices.
T: A lemony citrus flavor is most prevalent. Lightly sour and yeast. Dank and musty. There is not much here.
M/D: A light body that is a little under carbonated. Thin and watery. Not hard to drink, but I am really not all that interested in this.

I was looking forward to this, but I am underwhelmed. This is one of my favorite styles, but this did not do it for me. There is nothing much here. Mostly watered down lemon juice. Nothing I would recommend.

3.11/5  rDev -27.7%

I picked this up at the Davis Beer Shoppe. This is a green bottle with a bottle cap. Under the cap is a cork. When attempting to withdraw the cork, I broke it, which was really annoying. There was lots of yeasty sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

I poured the Fantome into a snifter. There was a lot of foam, but this may have been from shaking the bottle too much when trying to uncork it. The color was yellow, or golden. It was clear and not too cloudy.

This beer smelled fowl, not funky, but fowl. I thought maybe it was spoiled, and looked for mold in the bottle (I once saw a bottle of beer with a brain-like mold/fungus growing in it). Everything checked out so I figured I would drink it. It tasted like sour apples, and reminded me of a Lindemans Apple. It was not redolent of any other siason that I have sampled. Carbonation was light in the mouth. At 8%, I didn’t taste a bit of alcohol.

This was not what I was expecting. I enjoyed it overall, and perhaps if my expectations were different, then I would have been more pleased. I cannot say that I would buy another bottle, but one of my friends told me each bottle taste different. At $14, I am not willing to take the risk.

3.12/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bland, dull, vapid, humdrum…all of these words describe this beer, surprising me. This is not like the Fantome that I know and love. I must assume that this is a bad bottle, however, I will review it because there are no terrible qualities. This one just seems muffled and boring.

Appearance is great. The bottle pops with an explosive orce. The crown is huge, lasting and magnificent. The body the perfect color, cloudy stawlike gold. The sediment is a bit on the high side. Using a decanter is a good idea for this beer.

Smell…Not much. I get a little straw, a little sour twang, some lemon grass, some wheat, peach here, pepper there but all are muddled. This beer smells like it would if I had a cold, but I don’t have one. It’s just not very pungent or exciting.

Taste is just like smell. Floral notes and citric acid. Light fruits. Nice…but weak.

Mouthfeel is alright. Sweet front, slightly sour finish and just a bit of tang. Thin…but thickening towards the end. Bitter in some ways, juicy and sweet in others. Very complex as it should be.

Drinkability: even this seemingly off sample is highly drinkable. I’ll try again and rereview at the next opportunity. I expect positive results.

3.12/5  rDev -27.4%

750ml bottle into a teku glass.

not much to say here... i get a ton of charred band aid on the aroma and the taste is even worse. id say borders on undrinkable. just a huge smoky, charred, band aidy mess. not recommended and i hope i got a bad bottle...

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Light funk.. Orangey/peachy color.. Ok mouthfeel..Light lemonade.. Hay, grass, and straw.. I was expecting a World Class beer.. However, All I tasted was an unremarkable saison.. I've tasted better.. Much better

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%

poured a honey golden color with zero head ..smell was musty and funky with sour lemon juice and grass that was good..taste was the same it just had very little flavor no carbonation..i love saisons one of my favorite styles ..so many good/ reviews on this esteemed saison..i must of had a bad bottle ...but the side label said good until may of 2012 it was just so flat..will try again and do another update when i have $14 to burn

3.16/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a mild white head. Fair amount of lacing.

I'm not sure what I smelled here. To be honest, my first reaction was "This smells skunked as all hell." But I don't know if I'm simply too rookie to distinguish between skunk and barnyard funk. I'll say this though - I've smelled plenty of skunks in the area before, and this smelled just like that. Behind that, there seemed to be a bit of a lemony zest. The skunked/barnyard smell was just overwhelming though - extremely potent. Despite all that, there was an oddly enjoyable quality about it, and this style does tend to be funky to begin with, so I won't deduct too hard.

The taste had a nice tart/sourness to it, but there was an odd robustness that I didn't enjoy. Kind of earthy I guess, with a bit of spiciness or zestiness. Again, not impressed. The first couple sips were interesting, but it got more and more tedious as I went on. There wasn't a lot of depth of character here in the taste - basically, earthy and tart. Unpleasant aftertaste that lingered a bit on that tongue.

Mouthfeel was fine. Medium bodied and good amount of carbonation. No qualms here.

All in all, I did not enjoy this beer - and considering the price tag, I won't be buying it again. Very unimpressed and disappointed. It just seemed like a skunked beer.

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%

This beer pours with a yellow, cloudy (maybe not left to its own for a few days), slightly rocky head which subsides to a skim. Little bubbles come up through the beer from the bottom of the glass. The smell is slight to me with a little lemon and no detectable alcohol.The taste is lemony, sweet, with a little malt always present, and very little bitterness except that contributed by a persistent apricot undertaste.The mouthfeel is like softened water with a slight prickle on the tongue. This reminds me of some mead homebrew that I once had. It's not the roller coaster of other Saisons. It's an 8% ABV beer that hides its strength with its fruitiness. I'll give it another walk as a food beer; probably pairing it with lemon chicken. As a session Saison it is somewhat boring. I can't help but compare it to DuPont which (in its Vieille Provision of 6.5%ABV ) is more of a strong session beer for me. Fantome is more refined, stronger, and more consistent from start to finish. This is actually a boring Saison by itself. I will edit this review after I've had another with food.

3.32/5  rDev -22.8%

The first pour from the bottle showed great clarity. The last pour was completely murky from the sediment. But I’ll base this off the first pour…

Poured into a tulip. Golden color with a fizzy white head that fades to a cap.

I smelled something that was borderline cider. A nice funk, with some bright, grassy lemon grass notes and a little noticeable yeast. Smells like a summery saison.

The taste was tart with a little sweetness, but not too tart for me to handle. Cider-like. Some spicy notes outline an earthy funk to the taste. It’s pleasant tasting if you’re in the right mood. I feel like I want it in warmer weather.
Fairly dry and very crisp.

I enjoyed trying this, and I can see it has its own greatness, but I won’t buy it again. The one other Fantome brew I had was Noel, and I enjoyed that more.

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours with a one-finger head that fades to a ring leaving a good lace. Cloudy amber color, a lot of yeast left in the bottle. Good carbonation. Nose is floral and spice. Starts as sour orange with yeasty overtones. Finishes crisp and tart. $8.55 for a 750ml bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured from bomber into a tulip glass. Pours a hazy deep orange color with a big vanishing white head. Aroma consists of light sourness and balance between malt, yeast and hops. Notes of flowers, grass, citrus, with hints of pepper too. The flavor has the same balance and acidity of the aroma and a very pronounced fruitiness (citiric and tropical fruits), and grass, flowers, hops and some peppery spiciness. Medium body, decent carbonation, very dry long finish with medium bitterness. Nice complexity and decent drinkability. I kind of expected more out of this well embraced beer. A little bit disappointing.

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

Oranged-golden coloured, cloudy, and with a lot of floaters. Good head, compact.
The smell is sweet (almost grenadine...?). Sugary and sweet. Fruity too, obviously: raspberry, mandarine, maybe strawberry. Unripe apples. Maybe too sweet, but interesting and complex. Something "tied"... (japanese persimmon) and peach.
At the taste: fruity, with strawberry, wild berry-fruits. Honey. Sugary and sweet, maybe too sweet, again (strawberry candy like). A hint of hop in the background, Dry. And pepper.
In the aftertaste a crazy pepper. Spicy, and chilli too. Citric.
Medium body.
At the end, the smell is ripe pear.
Very complex.

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Bottle states best before July 2013, lot "d"

A: Pours a clear amber with a small fizzy white head. Fades away at a moderate pace, leaving decent rings of lacing.

S: Smells like overripe peaches, apples and pears. Kinda smells like burning tires too, just a little bit. Not necessarily in a bad way, I love the smell of a dragstrip. A touch grassy too.

T: Very sour, tart, funky fruits up front. Similar to the aroma, pears and apples primarily. Maybe some rotting apples and apricot? Kind of has a bile-like taste for a moment. Wet, decaying grass. Aftertaste is interesting, kind of reminds me of key lime pie. Tart citrus and graham cracker.

M: Medium bodied, smooth.

O: Whoa. Super funky saison, which is pretty much what I was expecting. Tough one to rate. I was not a fan of the tart fruits up front, but I did enjoy the finish. Overall an interesting experiment but I doubt I've ever buy this again.

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from bottle into Duvel tulip.

Oh bummer. Label reads "Biere artisanale sur lie"

White head that kills fast. Sporadic lacing, low carbonation. This is a different version of the 'Fantome Saison' that I've grown to love and seek out. Rumor is that the brewer changes the fruit brewed in out with whatever of his choosing. I have had the 'brewed with spices' variant so many times before and this one is more of a pineapple version. Heavy pineapple and tropical notes on the nose. Hate to say it, but the dehydrated pineapple is an upset on this one, it isn't working. I would say the labeling on the two is confusing and misleading. Stick with the 'brewed with spices' and stay clear of this one.

3.39/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

As a note, I lowered all categories by one point because the first bottle I opened was contaminated. It pour like chunky syrup and smelled very sulfury.

A: A hazy pale yellow with a minimal white lacy head.

S: Ester aromas are dominate here. There is not a whole lot else present.

T: A pleasant ester flavor with rich pale malts.

M: Rich mouthfeel with sharp carbonated bite to it.

O: Depite Saisons not being my favorite style of beer, this is one of the better beers I've had.

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

Green bottle. Enjoy by Jan 2013.

Very murky straw yellow body with some brownish tones. Thick head that yellow tinged. Leave a very small covering and some decent lacing.

Slight citric sourness and grass. Musty earthiness. Some 'barnyard.' slight skunk aromas.

Tart citric sourness, lemon rind. Green apples. Tons of grass and earth. Light spicing with a good dose of carbonation. Very dry with a lingering sourness, almost metallic.

Wasn't expecting the sourness, but I do enjoy it. Would have liked to seen some more spices. I don't like the finish; it makes me think the bottle is slightly skunked. Don't know if this is how it's supposed to be, or if it's because of the green glass. Not bad, but not as great as I'd heard.

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I picked up this 750 from Whole Foods, from their refrigerated section.

It pours a light tan color with a soft white head. It's cloudy as heck. Then it gets murky with the sediment at the end. The aroma is slightly floral but mild, and does not improve with warming. Carbonation is moderate. On tasting, I get a relatively harsh bitterness of neutral hops. There seems to be some spiciness. Perhaps a bit of fruit. Very cluttered and confusing to me. Surprisingly there is a pretty clean malt flavor that surges near the end. Medium bodied. Alcohol is subtle but the effects are felt later. Overall: I need to try this again sometime, but not too soon -- I tried the beer over a long time, at various temperatures, but the harsh bitterness is out of balance. Like a bad american lager recipe with a tiny bit of spices added.

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

I ordered this at the beffely hills café in Beffe; a small village just south of Soy where the brewerie itself is located. I was surprise to find the café inhabited by numerous Dutch tourists. The waitresses were all Flemish and Dutch too. Peculiar. Nonetheless, the beer was served at the proper temperature in the proper glass.

Appearance: Golden & hazy with a big, slightly off-white head. Some sediment. Quite a lot going on inside the glass.

Smell: Hmm, what's that smell. Grains, malts & citrus fruits and lots of odd farmhouse aroma's. It's hard to point out what it is exactly.

Taste: Again, the farmhouse aspects overwhelmed my palette. Lots and lots of odd & classic flavours comingtogether; beets, tropical fruits, lemon, spices, roasted malts, candy, ...
Ridiculously complex almost.

Mouthfeel and drinkabillity: Pleasant mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. The alcohol is well hidded, but once you try to get up you'll notice this is a hard-hitter. Quite fuddling.

Conclusion: This brew is both everything and nothing. It's just how you interpret the tastes and aroma's. For me personally though the huge 'barnyard' aspect was a bit too much. 'Artisanaal' is ok, but this was too much. One thing's for sure though: it's got character aplenty.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Did I have a bad one or are they all like this? Its thick on my tongue, like whole milk or thicker. Beer is not supposed to feel like this. Its quite off-putting and makes it quite difficult to finish this or otherwise enjoy the flavor.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a juicy-looking peach with tangerine highlights. The weak pop from the bottle yields a mild, 1/8th inch head that soon settles down into nothing more than a halo. Lazy toads-eye bubble doze around the glass. Not great, not terrible.

Smell starts off with huge gobs of strawberry jam, the fruit leaping from the glass. There are also some notes of starfruit and shortbread. Underneath, there are hints of vinegar and seawater. Interesting.

As we arrive at the taste, the the roles flip from the aroma. At first, a pungently sour line appears at the side of the tongue, with sweet blackberry emerging as a shading note. On the swallow, acetone and a bump of pure CO2 show up as well. For so many different flavors, it still somehow comes off as dull.

Mouthfeel is a bit lower than I'd like; more foam would go a long way here.

Overall, I'm pleased by the creativity displayed here, but it's far from the best, or even the most original saison I've had. Due to the variations in quality from batch to batch (or, for that matter, bottle to bottle), it may be an unreviewable beer. That being said, there are better offerings from this brewery, and much better beers to have at this price point.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

A - Straw yellow colour. Hazy with a quite fine and quite persistent white foam. Good carbonation.

S - A very high smell of yeast.. Almost unpleasant!! Citric (lemon, orange peel) and a little spicy.

T - Citric also in mouth, not much bitter with and acid aftertaste.

M - Very acid and astringent beer!! It's dry and the alcohol is hidden by the acidity..

D - It can be a drinkable beer but its characteristics of acidity and astringence make this beer more difficult to enjoy!!

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Has a hazy, orange yellow color, with a huge, fast disappearing head.

Smells of lemon peel, mixed with soft Belgian yeast and joung carrots, overall pointing into herbal, slightly spiced direction. Also contains hints of fermented sourness.

Begins with soft yeast, which feels incredibly smooth on the palate, then spicy, syrupy sweetness with hints of overripe sourness turn visible. Slick sourness remains in the throat and on the palate, while hot spices add a decent complexity. Medium bodied, begins with a very smooth impression, then turns hotter with stinging spices and overripe sourness. Driven by lively carbonation, finishing slightly bitter, with peppery spices still being detectable.

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours cloudy orange with little to no head. (The first sign that this bottle might have been a little too old) Aroma is citrusy, herbal, funky and a nice finish of yeast. Flavor is salty and sour. Not quite what I was expecting. I guess this Saison tends to be more on the sour end, but I was expecting something more citrusy with an intense yeast profile. I'm just not a fan of sour beers.

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

750ml with lunch. Can daddy do it? Yes he can.

Cloudy haze of golden yellow orange. Head is kinda pathetic. Wells up huge bubbles that commence popping immediately.

Smell is a little funky. And fruity. Very fruity.

Tart. Sour. Unique. Ends kinda chalky. Oranges. Not bad flavor.

Pretty thin and watery. Easily drinkable.

I expected a lot more from this. It's not bad, I could drink it all day but I don't think I would.

Overall: not impressed

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme