Love Belgian Beer?

4.3
20%

Reviews: 810 | Ratings: 1,874
3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

I ordered this at the beffely hills café in Beffe; a small village just south of Soy where the brewerie itself is located. I was surprise to find the café inhabited by numerous Dutch tourists. The waitresses were all Flemish and Dutch too. Peculiar. Nonetheless, the beer was served at the proper temperature in the proper glass.

Appearance: Golden & hazy with a big, slightly off-white head. Some sediment. Quite a lot going on inside the glass.

Smell: Hmm, what's that smell. Grains, malts & citrus fruits and lots of odd farmhouse aroma's. It's hard to point out what it is exactly.

Taste: Again, the farmhouse aspects overwhelmed my palette. Lots and lots of odd & classic flavours comingtogether; beets, tropical fruits, lemon, spices, roasted malts, candy, ...
Ridiculously complex almost.

Mouthfeel and drinkabillity: Pleasant mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. The alcohol is well hidded, but once you try to get up you'll notice this is a hard-hitter. Quite fuddling.

Conclusion: This brew is both everything and nothing. It's just how you interpret the tastes and aroma's. For me personally though the huge 'barnyard' aspect was a bit too much. 'Artisanaal' is ok, but this was too much. One thing's for sure though: it's got character aplenty.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a gusher. Shame too, because the beer I was able to save was great. Reminds me of a funkier version of LaChouffe. On positive side, I saved the last 1/5 of bottle for dregs for my Sour ale fermentation. Would def try again, fingers crossed no gusher!

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a big white head.

Aroma of grass, tropical fruit, wet straw, barn and belgian yeast.
Taste is nice...that barnyard funk fantome is known for, tropical fruits, grass...its a bit sweet in the finish. It has nice mouthfeel a bit carbonated for me, but very smooth and drinkable.

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

There are millions of words I want to say about this beer, but sadly it has been years since the day I purchased and experienced this beer so my memory is not fresh enough to express the love and enjoyment I had when I drank it. The one thing I will never forget, aside from the knowledge that still to this day it is my favorite beer I have tried, is that is smelled and in a weird way, tasted like the best dank in the world. Maybe my particular bottle was unlike any other, but I had multiple people to confirm that it was in fact true. This is of course stretching the imagination because when experiencing any substance, to say it is the "best in the world" you are just imagining what that would be like. Whether that is your cup of tea or not, this beer will definitely be worth it's price and may never be dethroned as my favorite beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter.

A - golden yellow with a thick white head.

S - notes of fruit and spices. a bit of grain.

T - earthy yet light with hints of spice and fruit.

M - creamy.

D - an amazingly drinkable beer. highly recommended for almost any occasion.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

pours a hazy orange. Cloudy with generous champagne like bubbly head.
Smells citrusy. strawberry, has a alcohol tone to it. has a generous amounts of apple to it.
Taste is warm. Dry, citrus tartness, pears and apples again. it is very sweet and yet the warmness of the alocohol tends to bite more then you would imagine a saison to. drinks kind of like a tripel.
is almost perfectly carbonated. there is no bitterness to this, and its pretty much tart. Once you get past the first drink. Things tend to get better. it drinks better and better with each sip. i believe this drinks more like a tripel, rather then a saison though.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

This is the first Fantome product I ever had and is still my favorite.

A: light golden color

S: Yeasy and refreshing. No hope smell at all.

T: Great. Amazing complex taste. Citrus, yeast, oak and even a little malt. The most complex saison I ever drank.

M: Refreshing. Good carbonation all throughout the mouth.

D: This is my go-to beer when I want a saison. I have yet to find a better saison.

Get yourself one of these.

4.84/5  rDev +12.6%

The best saison beer I have ever had, hands down.

Pour: Pours a cloudy golden color, with a fast rising head (in fact the bottle overflowed after I popped the cork).

Smell: funk, funk, hay, and gumball sweetness.

Taste: The taste was a marvelous balance of the Belgium funkiness, and hop sugar sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Coated the mouth, but had a really light feel.

Drinkability: I had the feeling that I could drink this 24 hours a day. The most drinkable beer yet. This is a thirst quencher.

Highly recommended. Wish I could get this for cheap (if so, this would become my tailgate, BBQ, everyday beer).

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a great saison. Pours an light orange, white haze. Love the appearance on this. Some life to it. Has a fresh fruit and citrus aroma, slight spice. Has a sweet fresh citrus taste with a slight carbonation level. Very refershing beer and nice abv. Love it. Dany is a master of his craft.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a bomber into a chalice. When the cork is removed smoke and some bubbling escape.

This is a very complex beer. The taste changes substantially as it warms. When cold, dryness is the primary characteristic and it tastes like a dry champagne. Lots of fruit in the nose but as it warms, grass. Apricot, lemon, pear and very mild funk. When cold, it's so dry it evaporates off the tongue but warmer, it lingers and coats with some chewiness. A very light and soft mouthfeel compliments the other qualities of this brew. There is some brett here but in perfect balance. A great beer for a warm spring day.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a golden cloudy yellow. There's quite a bit of yeast in the bottle so pour gently. White lacy head. It looks like summer to me. The aroma is fresh, bready and citrus laiden. There's also some apparent clove and spicy notes. It's pretty complex and very inviting. Many saisons can over do the spice or have too much earthy funk, but this thing just makes you want to drink it down. The flavor starts off surprisingly tart and is warmed up with a complex spicy clove and belgian sweetness in the background. It's very dry. There's not much if any percievable residual sugars, so it's incredibly refreshing and drinkable. This is one outstanding beer. It's a bit heavier on the lactic acid than most saisons, but it works very well for this beer. Outstanding. If I could afford it, I'd add it to my list of regulars.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Enjoyed this with Christmas dinner.

Beautiful murky golden appearance. A 1-finger head that recedes fairly quickly to just a single spotty layer of bubbles that remains til the end.

Smells wonderful. Hadn't had a saison in a long time, great surprise as my memory had left the present experience wide open to possibility. The "pungency" is perhaps as good as it gets. I have some lambics in the fridge which were also options, but I'm so glad I picked this beer over those. Thinking of those almost makes my mouth wrinkle in sour expectation, but this beer didn't do that once. Anyway! Lemonish (maybe other fruits, citruses in particular, which I can't specifically name) overtones, funk is right near the citrus in prominence, with very light grass-clippings and hay aromas showing themselves below that.

Taste follows, the smell makes for no surprises in the taste, but! the mouthfeel was probably the biggest surprise -- after the utmost delightful aroma, that is.

The mouthfeel is extraordinary. The carbonation is exactly where I'd want it for the style. It's spritzy enough to delight the tongue, yet smooth enough to delight whatever comes next. After fifteen or twenty minutes, my stomach isn't feeling any of the illl-effects I typically feel after drinking other Belgians that have pronounced levels of carbonation.

Drinkability is high. The 8% alcohol is flawlessly hidden behind the wonderful flavors. Everything about this beer leaves me wanting more. The light funkiness, citrus, appearance, smell, taste... where did you go, fantome?

Also, the moderate carbonation allows the taste to linger on the tongue between sips. That is a very good thing. Only after about ten minutes since my last sip is the taste finally dying. Guess I'll have to move on to something else...

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Another hit from Fantome! Sampled this citrusy brew on a hot and humid summer evening. A perfect choice!

This brew pours a nice head into my tulip -- a cloudy straw color with some yeast floaters for giggles.

The taste is highly citrus. Not too much hops here, but a bit of malt hanging around.

This a wonderful summer thirst quencher by the pool or watching the sun set while swatting mosquitoes.

Cheers.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

Bought this at South Bay Liquor. Thanks Joey! Decanted from the bottle into an oversized wine glass. Pours a beautiful golden color with a two-finger head that dissipates into a thin layer. Aroma is funk, spice, lemon, and a candy-like note. Smells great. Taste is well matched with the aroma. A little funk at first, then plenty of lemon and candy, with a little herbal hop kick at the end. Delicious. Mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium, but smooth and refreshing. Saisons are generally easy for me to drink, and this one might be on the top of the drinkability list. Overall this beer is exactly what I wanted on a hot day and is excellent in general.

4.61/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 750ml bottle into two Chimay goblets.

A - Deep, hazy gold pour with a finger's worth of creamy white foam.

S - Powerful right off the pour. A deeper breath brings hay and sour notes. A slight yeasty funk lingers in the background.

T - Straw with some bright lemon qualities. Slightly bitter (hops) but with a well rounded yeast flavor. Some alcohol warmth in the aftertaste.

M - Very light, refreshing carbonation.

A good session beer, but also great enough to have one to savor. A top saison.

Hazy orangish-yellow body with a giant creamy white head that receded slowly down to a light skim. A thick sticky lacing was left all around the glass as the head disappeared. Aroma of musty citrus, mostly tart and sour lemon. The smell actually does bring the term "farmhouse" to mind, but I can't pinpoint exactly what it is. Alcohol is also slightly detectable in the nose. Wow, what an odd but likeable flavor. There's a whole lot going on there that I'm not experienced enough to separate, but I am able to pull out the sour and tart (and musty?) lemon taste that I noticed in the aroma. There's also some clove spiciness and a light hop bitterness. Every swallow leaves my mouth dry and puckered.

For me, it's a very different but enjoyable brew that I will definitely drink again.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Interesting brew.. a bit less full-flavored than I expected, or is it just my palate today? Fantome Saison pours a nice golden amber color w/ a steady 1/4" head and lacing. Smell is fruity, yeasty, with just a hit of alcohol. Taste is similar, but shows the presence of spices. The taste also carries a strange sourness wholly unfamiliar to me. I like it.
Carbonation is low-medium, which suits the style perfectly. As it begins to warm, lemony, citrus, woody flavors make themselves known. This thing (!) is growing on me (!).

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours a murky pale orange with a great foamy head that dissipates rather quickly but leaves good lacing.

S- Sweet navel oranges , apples, lemons, grass and funk that hits you in the face immediately.

T- Lots going on with more of the oranges and cream appeal. Pears, grass, mellow belgian spice. The funky sour is definitely there which really integrates well while leading to a nice long melony finish. Really good. Certainly hides the 8% really well.

M- Very crisp and creamy at the same time. Lots of small tingly bubbles which leaves a nice tart impression in the mouth. Very refreshing and a perfect brew to drink on a lazy summer afternoon.

O- Im impressed. Its unlike any other saison ive tried to date. I would recommend this beer to someone who says they dont like saisons.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

A - pours a hazy golden yellow color with about a finger and a half head. Head leaves quickly and the small bit of carbonation keeps a thin ring around the glass.

S - Belgian yeast, cobweb/must, funk, coriander and peach. Intense!!

T - mildly tart but refreshing citrusy flavors overwhelm the palate at first sip. Leaving it sit to pick out flavors I notice granny smith apples, ripened apricot, and peach with a splash of vinegary brett and bubblegum. Odd spices and herby notes linger toward the finish. Alcohol is masterfully hidden and not noticed at all. Delicious!

M - light bodied, borderline medium with plenty of malt to provide extreme complexity. Very well balanced but on the lighter side carbonation wise. Finishes dry and very nice.

O - this is an excellently crafted beer and a very good pick by me on a hot, humid night. I definitely recommend this to any fans of Belgian beers and would love to treat myself to another bottle soon. I'd like to get a bottle with some more carbonation next time, though.

2.88/5  rDev -33%

750 bottle with cork and cap. Gave a hearty pop when the cork was pulled. Poured with high carbonation but almost no head. No lace. Fruit and spice notes in the taste were subdued in the aroma. Aroma was more of the sour lambic quality, with almost no lambic taste in the beer. Odd. Palette was active, due to high carbonation, and quite complex for such a light colored beer. Slight fruity after taste of strawberries and lemongrass.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

A: hazy golden yellow with an ever present thin white head
S: apples, citrus, strawberry, funk, so inviting and pleasant
T: as the nose depicts with a great peachy flavor. So tasty!
M: medium to lighter bodied with a drying to watering tongue left yearning for more. I could drink this all of the time. No hint of alcohol but it goes to your head.
O: Definitely the best saison I've ever had and I want more!

3.72/5  rDev -13.5%

I was pretty excited to try this brew out given my love for saisons and how highly this brew was ranked-stay tuned to see if I was disappointed or not...

A: Pours a deep cloudy gold, almost amber, with a frothy head

S: Nose is all over the place: sweet n sour apples dominate, some yeasty notes, and a backdrop of barnyard funk. One of the most complex brews I've smelled in a while.

T: Wow (not sure if that is a good wow, or a bad wow). There is a whole lot going on here, but, unfortunately, sourish cider dominates the palate. Like the nose, plenty of yeast notes and barnyard funk, but the sour cider thing is a bit overwhelming.

M: Clean carbonation, very dry finish.

D: Not sure of the drinkability on this, seems a bit too unbalanced, almost like a gueze. Still pretty cool.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

First off I love Fantome. Enjoyed from a bottle (that had a cork and cap!) into a La Trappe goblet on the evening of 9/23/11. Shared with 4 other people.

A - Hazy yellow/gold almost orangish hue. Nice white head of a finger. Amazing retention and lacing.

S - Farmhouse. Complexly farmhouse. First thing that comes to mind. Its so well blended its sort of hard to pick out individual components. Yeasty, grassy, a little hint of some citrus maybe? Just crazy.

T - This beer is ludacrisly good. Some definate citrus and yeasty qualities but once again its so well put together it just taste like one huge individual component. Its fantastic.

M - It has weight without being too heavy. Carbonated. Just perfect for a saison.

O - Dany is the frickin man. No doubt about it. This is just such an exceptional saison.

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Pouring from a cork and capped 750ml bottle comes a straw golden super clear beer. the aromatics of corn, thyme and rosemary seep from the glass backed by some higher alcohol esters. The flavor is good, but to me is more of a belgian triple than a saison, very little of the barnyard horsey wild character that I like to see in a saison. Mouthfeel is good, it is medium body but finishes super dry. Overall this is a really great beer and I would recommend it, but it is not a great example of the saison style to me.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Beautiful cloudy gold color capped with a massive white head that spews lacing. I use 'gold' to describe the color of lots of beers, but this is as close to the real thing as it gets. Wow, the nose is striking. I expected some funk, but it smells more like a gueuze than a saison initially. Musty basement, damp earth, and bright citrus up front. More traditional saison characteristics aren't far behind. Fresh lemon, some light tropical fruit, and floral spice come through.

The flavor, while very similar, is even more complex than the nose. It's driven by smooth, well-rounded funk (more Curtis Mayfield than George Clinton). The somewhat tart fruit component is unbelievably layered, and could be described by a grocery list of citrus and tropical fruits. There's also a distinctive "pink chewable Tylenol" note that I really enjoy. Some phenolic bubble gum and a host of other spicy Belgian yeast flavors sustain the wave of taste. Very little alcohol. A nice soft but decisive hop bitterness tightens up the tail end.

Fine carbonation tends toward the upper end of the scale, and the body is a bit lighter than medium -- actually on the higher side for the style. But hey, that's what residual sugars from an 8% beer will do, and I'm not complaining. Fantome just easily leapt into my top 10 beers ever, probably top 5. This is one of a few that I would buy by the case (if I could). Truly a spectacular example of what beer can be. Fantome is an immensely unique beer; top tier by any measure.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme