Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

4.3
20%

Reviews: 816 | Ratings: 1,911
3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks to glazeman for this one. This is a damn good beer. Appearance and smell are just okay, but the funkiness of the taste makes this beer the best in it's style. Nice mouthfeel with outstanding drinkability. I was shocked that this beer is 8%. Very nice.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

I didn't want to spend $16 on this beer but I knew I had to try it. It's a bit pricey, but I was not disappointed. The style is of a traditional saison but it goes above and beyond where most saisons even try to reach. There is a lot going on here but I taste strawberry, peach, tangerine, and a creaminess that actually reminds me of cool whip (never thought I'd use that to describe a beer!) It's got some spiciness on the end and lingers on the palate as the flavors change. This is a beer that really transports you to another place. You can close your eyes and almost imagine being in the Ardennes, breathing in the air. I'm not surprised that his beer has a cult following.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

I was a little worried at first, because I have heard about this beer a lot. I paid 18 dollars for a bottle, which at the time was the single most expensive single beer I had purchased, but it was well worth it.

A: Pours a deep cloudy orange, light orange mixed with yellow
undertones.

S: It has a very strong smell, the funkiness and mild lemon and lime hints.

T: I get a little bit in taste as what I smelled. The lemon and lime notes are amplified and more sour then expected.

M/D: The finish is amazing, very crisp and clean considering the overload of flavor that hit the palate. It lingers only slightly then subsides, leaving you waiting for the next sip, and 8% ABV, I would not have guessed that...

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

This beer reminds me of an old world pastoral landscape. The phantoms of the past seem to spring from the glass with its earthy aroma and to the bone sourness. Color and faint aroma of cut hay helps the metaphor along, but the crisp mouthfeel and tart and dangerously refreshing sourness awake us into the present. The sourness is melded with sweetness, hints of lemon and berry, maybe rhubarb are permeated throughout the taste. Somehow complex yet accesssible. Defintiely the best of its class that I have tried thus far. Will probably be a summertime favorite as I think it would pair exceedingly well with grilled seafood. A yard worker's delight. Another plus for me is that my wife loves this beer as much as I, driving up the drinkablity to exceptional limits.

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%

Split a bottle of this with a buddy. Extremely hazy golden brown with a thin head and moderate lacing. Looked a lot like apple cider. Smell is an in-your-face blend of spice and fruit. Fruits are both sweet and bitter. It's like smelling both the fruit itself and the rind all at once. Underneath it all is the aroma of Belgian yeast for authenticity. Taste is quite tangy. It was a pleasure for my mouth, but offered seering pain for my chapped lips. This is bad boy is complex! Spices, fruit, and yeast all over the place. It seems there is something for every region of my taste buds. Definitely a unique experience and definitely something to change people's minds about what a beer can be. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side, though it fits well here. This is just an all-around solid beer, though my first for the style.

Moved from Fantome Biere Artisanale Sur Lie

Overall, this was fantastic.

It has a light creamy orange color and the creaminess is definitely tasted.

It has a strong scent of strawberry which was unexpected, but enjoyable.

There was not much strawberry in the taste, but it is very smooth and it isn't bitter. There is a hint of citrus but not overly sweet.

I would love to have another bottle.

4.6/5  rDev +7%

orange-yellow color with slight haze and persistent layer of head buoyed by vigorous carbonation; left wispy vertical trails of lacing.
floral nose with spiced honey and fruit, minor malt notes, apple and earthy yeast --> very faint though...
taste starts with some orange-centered citrus, then some clove and earthy character attacks with great clout and persistence, bringing lots of spice and a mystical herbal quality (like loose dried herb leaves); apple skin and pear undertones from first hints of taste eventually rising for a faint sweetness in the ghostly finish.
mouthfeel: substantial light body. smooth texture at first then perfect amount of crispness before the spiciness hits the palate and tongue, sticking there; subtle warmth, finishes semi-dry with a bit of the brew fondly lingering.
intriguing and well-balanced.

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

I ordered this at the beffely hills café in Beffe; a small village just south of Soy where the brewerie itself is located. I was surprise to find the café inhabited by numerous Dutch tourists. The waitresses were all Flemish and Dutch too. Peculiar. Nonetheless, the beer was served at the proper temperature in the proper glass.

Appearance: Golden & hazy with a big, slightly off-white head. Some sediment. Quite a lot going on inside the glass.

Smell: Hmm, what's that smell. Grains, malts & citrus fruits and lots of odd farmhouse aroma's. It's hard to point out what it is exactly.

Taste: Again, the farmhouse aspects overwhelmed my palette. Lots and lots of odd & classic flavours comingtogether; beets, tropical fruits, lemon, spices, roasted malts, candy, ...
Ridiculously complex almost.

Mouthfeel and drinkabillity: Pleasant mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. The alcohol is well hidded, but once you try to get up you'll notice this is a hard-hitter. Quite fuddling.

Conclusion: This brew is both everything and nothing. It's just how you interpret the tastes and aroma's. For me personally though the huge 'barnyard' aspect was a bit too much. 'Artisanaal' is ok, but this was too much. One thing's for sure though: it's got character aplenty.

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a big white head.

Aroma of grass, tropical fruit, wet straw, barn and belgian yeast.
Taste is nice...that barnyard funk fantome is known for, tropical fruits, grass...its a bit sweet in the finish. It has nice mouthfeel a bit carbonated for me, but very smooth and drinkable.

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

There are millions of words I want to say about this beer, but sadly it has been years since the day I purchased and experienced this beer so my memory is not fresh enough to express the love and enjoyment I had when I drank it. The one thing I will never forget, aside from the knowledge that still to this day it is my favorite beer I have tried, is that is smelled and in a weird way, tasted like the best dank in the world. Maybe my particular bottle was unlike any other, but I had multiple people to confirm that it was in fact true. This is of course stretching the imagination because when experiencing any substance, to say it is the "best in the world" you are just imagining what that would be like. Whether that is your cup of tea or not, this beer will definitely be worth it's price and may never be dethroned as my favorite beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

poured from a 22 oz bottle into a snifter.

A - golden yellow with a thick white head.

S - notes of fruit and spices. a bit of grain.

T - earthy yet light with hints of spice and fruit.

M - creamy.

D - an amazingly drinkable beer. highly recommended for almost any occasion.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

pours a hazy orange. Cloudy with generous champagne like bubbly head.
Smells citrusy. strawberry, has a alcohol tone to it. has a generous amounts of apple to it.
Taste is warm. Dry, citrus tartness, pears and apples again. it is very sweet and yet the warmness of the alocohol tends to bite more then you would imagine a saison to. drinks kind of like a tripel.
is almost perfectly carbonated. there is no bitterness to this, and its pretty much tart. Once you get past the first drink. Things tend to get better. it drinks better and better with each sip. i believe this drinks more like a tripel, rather then a saison though.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours beautifully cloudy, nice head retention, smells of continental European hops and signature Fantome funky strawberries. Smells sour but is just barely tart on the tongue, like apricot juice. Spices too - maybe coriander. Hoppy bitterness. Full mouthfeel and moderately high carb.

I dunno why, but while I'm a huge fan of Fantome this one never does it for me. Having had vintage 2008, 2010, 2015, 2016...I continue to find the aroma and flavor a bit off putting. The mouthfeel, carb, and appearance are absolutely perfect, but that strange mix of strangely earthy spices, creamy strawberries, and often noticeable skunking results in a product I now pass by, in favor of Dany's other creations. I can see why some enjoy it so much! Just not my favorite 'Tome to dome.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

This is the first Fantome product I ever had and is still my favorite.

A: light golden color

S: Yeasy and refreshing. No hope smell at all.

T: Great. Amazing complex taste. Citrus, yeast, oak and even a little malt. The most complex saison I ever drank.

M: Refreshing. Good carbonation all throughout the mouth.

D: This is my go-to beer when I want a saison. I have yet to find a better saison.

Get yourself one of these.

4.84/5  rDev +12.6%

The best saison beer I have ever had, hands down.

Pour: Pours a cloudy golden color, with a fast rising head (in fact the bottle overflowed after I popped the cork).

Smell: funk, funk, hay, and gumball sweetness.

Taste: The taste was a marvelous balance of the Belgium funkiness, and hop sugar sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Coated the mouth, but had a really light feel.

Drinkability: I had the feeling that I could drink this 24 hours a day. The most drinkable beer yet. This is a thirst quencher.

Highly recommended. Wish I could get this for cheap (if so, this would become my tailgate, BBQ, everyday beer).

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a great saison. Pours an light orange, white haze. Love the appearance on this. Some life to it. Has a fresh fruit and citrus aroma, slight spice. Has a sweet fresh citrus taste with a slight carbonation level. Very refershing beer and nice abv. Love it. Dany is a master of his craft.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a bomber into a chalice. When the cork is removed smoke and some bubbling escape.

This is a very complex beer. The taste changes substantially as it warms. When cold, dryness is the primary characteristic and it tastes like a dry champagne. Lots of fruit in the nose but as it warms, grass. Apricot, lemon, pear and very mild funk. When cold, it's so dry it evaporates off the tongue but warmer, it lingers and coats with some chewiness. A very light and soft mouthfeel compliments the other qualities of this brew. There is some brett here but in perfect balance. A great beer for a warm spring day.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a golden cloudy yellow. There's quite a bit of yeast in the bottle so pour gently. White lacy head. It looks like summer to me. The aroma is fresh, bready and citrus laiden. There's also some apparent clove and spicy notes. It's pretty complex and very inviting. Many saisons can over do the spice or have too much earthy funk, but this thing just makes you want to drink it down. The flavor starts off surprisingly tart and is warmed up with a complex spicy clove and belgian sweetness in the background. It's very dry. There's not much if any percievable residual sugars, so it's incredibly refreshing and drinkable. This is one outstanding beer. It's a bit heavier on the lactic acid than most saisons, but it works very well for this beer. Outstanding. If I could afford it, I'd add it to my list of regulars.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Enjoyed this with Christmas dinner.

Beautiful murky golden appearance. A 1-finger head that recedes fairly quickly to just a single spotty layer of bubbles that remains til the end.

Smells wonderful. Hadn't had a saison in a long time, great surprise as my memory had left the present experience wide open to possibility. The "pungency" is perhaps as good as it gets. I have some lambics in the fridge which were also options, but I'm so glad I picked this beer over those. Thinking of those almost makes my mouth wrinkle in sour expectation, but this beer didn't do that once. Anyway! Lemonish (maybe other fruits, citruses in particular, which I can't specifically name) overtones, funk is right near the citrus in prominence, with very light grass-clippings and hay aromas showing themselves below that.

Taste follows, the smell makes for no surprises in the taste, but! the mouthfeel was probably the biggest surprise -- after the utmost delightful aroma, that is.

The mouthfeel is extraordinary. The carbonation is exactly where I'd want it for the style. It's spritzy enough to delight the tongue, yet smooth enough to delight whatever comes next. After fifteen or twenty minutes, my stomach isn't feeling any of the illl-effects I typically feel after drinking other Belgians that have pronounced levels of carbonation.

Drinkability is high. The 8% alcohol is flawlessly hidden behind the wonderful flavors. Everything about this beer leaves me wanting more. The light funkiness, citrus, appearance, smell, taste... where did you go, fantome?

Also, the moderate carbonation allows the taste to linger on the tongue between sips. That is a very good thing. Only after about ten minutes since my last sip is the taste finally dying. Guess I'll have to move on to something else...

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Another hit from Fantome! Sampled this citrusy brew on a hot and humid summer evening. A perfect choice!

This brew pours a nice head into my tulip -- a cloudy straw color with some yeast floaters for giggles.

The taste is highly citrus. Not too much hops here, but a bit of malt hanging around.

This a wonderful summer thirst quencher by the pool or watching the sun set while swatting mosquitoes.

Cheers.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

Bought this at South Bay Liquor. Thanks Joey! Decanted from the bottle into an oversized wine glass. Pours a beautiful golden color with a two-finger head that dissipates into a thin layer. Aroma is funk, spice, lemon, and a candy-like note. Smells great. Taste is well matched with the aroma. A little funk at first, then plenty of lemon and candy, with a little herbal hop kick at the end. Delicious. Mouthfeel is on the thin side of medium, but smooth and refreshing. Saisons are generally easy for me to drink, and this one might be on the top of the drinkability list. Overall this beer is exactly what I wanted on a hot day and is excellent in general.

Hazy orangish-yellow body with a giant creamy white head that receded slowly down to a light skim. A thick sticky lacing was left all around the glass as the head disappeared. Aroma of musty citrus, mostly tart and sour lemon. The smell actually does bring the term "farmhouse" to mind, but I can't pinpoint exactly what it is. Alcohol is also slightly detectable in the nose. Wow, what an odd but likeable flavor. There's a whole lot going on there that I'm not experienced enough to separate, but I am able to pull out the sour and tart (and musty?) lemon taste that I noticed in the aroma. There's also some clove spiciness and a light hop bitterness. Every swallow leaves my mouth dry and puckered.

For me, it's a very different but enjoyable brew that I will definitely drink again.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Interesting brew.. a bit less full-flavored than I expected, or is it just my palate today? Fantome Saison pours a nice golden amber color w/ a steady 1/4" head and lacing. Smell is fruity, yeasty, with just a hit of alcohol. Taste is similar, but shows the presence of spices. The taste also carries a strange sourness wholly unfamiliar to me. I like it.
Carbonation is low-medium, which suits the style perfectly. As it begins to warm, lemony, citrus, woody flavors make themselves known. This thing (!) is growing on me (!).

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- Pours a murky pale orange with a great foamy head that dissipates rather quickly but leaves good lacing.

S- Sweet navel oranges , apples, lemons, grass and funk that hits you in the face immediately.

T- Lots going on with more of the oranges and cream appeal. Pears, grass, mellow belgian spice. The funky sour is definitely there which really integrates well while leading to a nice long melony finish. Really good. Certainly hides the 8% really well.

M- Very crisp and creamy at the same time. Lots of small tingly bubbles which leaves a nice tart impression in the mouth. Very refreshing and a perfect brew to drink on a lazy summer afternoon.

O- Im impressed. Its unlike any other saison ive tried to date. I would recommend this beer to someone who says they dont like saisons.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

A - pours a hazy golden yellow color with about a finger and a half head. Head leaves quickly and the small bit of carbonation keeps a thin ring around the glass.

S - Belgian yeast, cobweb/must, funk, coriander and peach. Intense!!

T - mildly tart but refreshing citrusy flavors overwhelm the palate at first sip. Leaving it sit to pick out flavors I notice granny smith apples, ripened apricot, and peach with a splash of vinegary brett and bubblegum. Odd spices and herby notes linger toward the finish. Alcohol is masterfully hidden and not noticed at all. Delicious!

M - light bodied, borderline medium with plenty of malt to provide extreme complexity. Very well balanced but on the lighter side carbonation wise. Finishes dry and very nice.

O - this is an excellently crafted beer and a very good pick by me on a hot, humid night. I definitely recommend this to any fans of Belgian beers and would love to treat myself to another bottle soon. I'd like to get a bottle with some more carbonation next time, though.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme