Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

Added by Thrasher on 07-24-2002

#687

Ratings: 1,975 |  Reviews: 830
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Going by 2+ week old notes. 2011 or 2012 bottle, poured into wine glasses.

A: Yellow, medium clarity, small-medium head.

S: Pineapple, citrus, bubblegum. Some funk.

T: Lots of sour bubblegum. More funk than in the smell, but otherwise similar to the above.

M: Apparently forgot to write down notes for mouthfeel... but I believe it was light-medium bodied, with light-medium carbonation.

O: I apparently got a good batch this time. The regular Fantome is actually more consistent than the others. Quite pleasant session beer.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle (2011)

Super Junior Market
San Diego, CA

Hazy orange with a quickly forming, persistent near-white head. This leaves a lot of lacing all the way down the glass. Very pretty.

I absolutely love this beer's aroma. It's about perfect for the style. I can't get enough of it. The level of barnyard/funk/horseblanket is tremendous, invitingly so, but it's complemented incredibly well by bright, vibrant layers of citrus, green apple, and floral notes. Incredible.

The flavor is very similar to the aroma, though the funk and barnyard flavors are hidden until the swallow. Initially, this is full of bright citrus notes along with the green apple and floral hops found in the aroma. It's fantastic.

Medium bodied with high, silky carbonation. Wonderfully drinkable.

If I couldn't take a gueuze with me, this would be my Desert Island Beer.

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased 8/2010; best by date is not notched

A - Nice pop as the cork is pulled. Pours a clear very pale yellow with fine suspended material. A stream of rising carbonation. One finger of white head doesn't last long and leaves only spots of lacing.

S - Huge presence of apple and pear, mostly sweet, but a faint tartness. There is some yeast funk, but it is very subtle.

T - Taste has the apple and pear from the aroma, plus a bit of lemon and lemon zest. Some earthy funk, but again rather subtle. Finish is dry with slight bitterness. Absolutely no hint of alcohol. Excellent.

M - Light and crisp with some tartness and a clean, dry finish.

O - Nice delicate flavors with no alcohol presence whatsoever. Excellent beer that I could drink everyday, except for the price and availability... But I'll be sure to buy this when I see it.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a corked bottle into a Victory tulip. Best before January '13

A- pours a very pale yellow with a two finger white head that quickly dissipates to nothing. Saisonariffic!

S- tons of apple and pear notes come though heavily. Slight tartness to them. Lovely

T- slightly tart apple and pear....extremely flavorful, and just the right amount of tartness. Doesn't overwhelm the palate at all. Perfect

M- body is very light. Perfect for a warm day

O- this is excellent. The alcohol is extremely well-hidden. Another slam dunk from Fantome, but what do you expect?

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

750ml tapped & corked bottle.Oversized glass.Enjoyed on jul´11.Lemon yellow in color.Cloudy with yeast in suspension.White froth.Surprising lasting crown.Foamy spots on sides.Aromas are piney,yeasty,slightly malty with woody hints.Smooth tartar upfront,acid apples & grapefruit hues too.Moderate fresh spicy notes,light buttery.Bitterness & hoppiness not felt hidden by gentle sweet/sourness associated with orangish touch. Medium/light body & high carbonation -pops like champagne when cork is removed-.Citric -lemon & lima- finish.Banana feel on the aftertaste.Very well balanced both flavors & aromas.Perfect pairing: marinade anchovy, green cheeses -Cabrales or Roquefort- or black paella.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

4.21/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet. Best before January 2013. Lot A-C.

A: The first cap/cork combo I've seen. Hazy orange-gold, with a nice frosting of white head. Some bubbles.

S: Rather skunky. (I am starting to develop the common paranoia about green-bottled Belgian beers...for instance, I've yet to have a non-skunked Houblon Chouffe, but on-tap, it's divine.) Other scents in the background remind me of orange peel, but with an astringent quality reminiscent of cleaning solution. Some grain that reminds me of a tripel. Complicated, but often unpleasant.

T: Interesting. Tart, funky, and sour, but oh how it develops on the palate! A long, rolling taste that unravels many different qualities. As time passes, the tartness fades into pleasant apple-y fruit. A very interesting strain of yeast adds zest and character to this excellent saison. While I started out disappointed, the more I drink, the more I understand the beer's appeal. Hard to describe, but pungent and fruity would be my two word attempt. Sweet-sour-floral-funky-citrus-spicy-dry would be one word...sort of. At any rate, a stellar farmhouse ale. Rosewater and tangerine. I can't seem to stop adding information. I'm going to force myself to stop reviewing and simply enjoy the beer, but there's so much more I could say.

M: A bit puckery, but not overly special. Light and appropriate.

O: Excellent. Recommended. That said, for the price ($17) it will be a long, long time before I have another. One of the best saisons I've come across.

4.86/5  rDev +13.8%

BB end of January 2013.

Beer is a very cloudy light orange/golden/ A very fizzy and frothy white head dissipates extremely quickly. No lace.

Smell is divine. Huge peach, mango, green apple and lemon scents with a funky, grassy and crisp background. Floral notes. Wow!

Taste is also fantastic. Crisp fruit flavours (green apple, pineapple, peach, mango) with a nice, slightly sour funkiness. The funk has some of the 'horse-blanket' flavour and is rather grassy. The beer occupies some excellent space in between sweet and sour.

Medium bodied, nice moderate carbonation level comprised of tiny bubbles, giving life to the beer but no irritation to the mouth. A bit astringent.

Overall, just outstanding. A killer beer. A real treat to drink. I will be looking for more whenever I can. A total winner!

4.27/5  rDev 0%

Had this one a few times before. Thanks to whoever brought this one to Imminent Liquidation II

A - Pours slightly hazy burnt orange with a nice one and a half finger tall white head leaving small trails of lace down the glass.

S - Smells of lots of horse blanket funk, citric fruit - I get a lot of lemon - spice and some basement must. The nose of this one is simply intoxicating.

T - Starts off with some quick hints of bright citric acidity quickly being enveloped by the strong barnyard funk and basement must. Once the funk begins to pass some light spice and some fresh cut grass round things out. A touch of booze creeps in as it sits in the glass.

M - Delicate feel with a light body and moderately high carbonation. The combo of fruity and dry really works for me. Not really sour but definitely funky.

O - There is little doubt in my mind that this one is one of the best saisons in the world. It is extremely well balanced and it just plain tastes great. I need to find a few of these for myself one of these days.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into tulip 22/3/12

A hazy bright golden yellow with lots of very tiny bubbles popping up from everywhere taking their time to reach the two fingers of bone white foam that falls to a thin film leaving several partial rings of lace

S smells pretty sexy with loads of funky apple and pear, some tropical notes, grass, hay, cereal and a little more funk with faint booze

T some faint vinous notes and peppery spice with just a little earthy wet wood, most of what I smell is still there too, not as much grass and hay but now I'm getting a little citric rind towards the finish, the booze is detectable but just, too say this ones complex would be an understatement

M full for the color and it has a little bitter bite to it, those tiny bubbles are a little prickly in the mouth and some faint heat is my only complaint

O a style I enjoy and a near perfect example of one, I don't think there's such a thing as the "perfect" beer but this guys pretty close

pretty impressive stuff here, I spent quite a while smelling this stuff and loved every sip I took. This is one of the better beers I've ever had and look forward too drinking it again, until then I need to thank chickenm for sending me this one

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy straw color. About 3/4" of fizzy head forms, which has almost no retention. No lacing either. 2.5

Smell: Smells of white grape, pear, and green apple most strongly. Very vinuous in that respect. A bit of mineral comes through as well, and quite a bit of must as well. Not funk. Must. Not the most aromatic, a bit hard to pick out scents, but what is there is good.

Lots of pale fruit scents here as well, and more mineral, and must. Green apples and mineral on the finish. I like it.

Light bodied and a lot of carbonation on the tongue. Very good here. Overall, a good saison. Not as good as I was expecting, but I know there is a fair amount of variation in Fantome bottles, so we'll see how the next bottle turns out.

4.95/5  rDev +15.9%

A: hazy golden yellow with an ever present thin white head
S: apples, citrus, strawberry, funk, so inviting and pleasant
T: as the nose depicts with a great peachy flavor. So tasty!
M: medium to lighter bodied with a drying to watering tongue left yearning for more. I could drink this all of the time. No hint of alcohol but it goes to your head.
O: Definitely the best saison I've ever had and I want more!

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme