Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

Added by Thrasher on 07-24-2002

#687

Ratings: 1,977 |  Reviews: 831
4.59/5  rDev +7.5%

750mL into oversized wine glass. best before Jan 2013.

A: a hazed, but bright gold. head is reasonable, but not super billowing. retention is good, not great. minimal lacing.

S: initial pour plumes out sulfur and CO2. after the gas subsides a little bit of hay. the combination of the fruit and oak gives a certain vinous character that reminds me of an oaky chardonnay. soft aromas, but very pleasant.

T: there is an underlying farmhouse, barny funk here. not sour, but definitely barny. definitely some fruit as well. sweet bartlett pears. green grapes. a little bit of oak as well. finish is very dry making me frequent return visits to the glass.

M: a very bottle conditioned fizz. a very full medium body. nice.

D: i certainly see why this is considered one of the best examples of a saison. there is a great amount of complexity between the fruit and a very tasty barny flavor that makes each sip enjoyable. the dry finish makes each sip rather thirst quenching as well as easy to pick up again.

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Massive 1" offwhite head over a cloudy honey-amber coloured liquid.

S: Yeast and floral and earthy hops.

T: Much more complex than I was anticipating. Almost a smoky characteristic to the body along with citrus, floral and earthy hops. The soft Belgian yeast and funky bitterness compliment each other nicely.

M: Medium mouthfeel and a medium level of fine carbonation. Very soft feeling in the mouth.

O: I typically do not seek out Saisons, but I found this funky number to be complex and enjoyable.

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle purchased from Etre Gourmet.
No apparent bottled on date.
Poured into a tulip glass.

The Fantome Saison was probably the first in the style that I had tried years ago. I recently had a chance to revisit it and was pleasantly surprised. The beer is good-looking, interesting, complex, and desirable in its scent and taste. I often wondered what was used in the making of this beer - what was found around the farmhouse? My only reservation was the aggressive carbonation, but this toned down after some time. An excellent beer that is good to be saved for special occasions due to its rarity and price.

From the bottle, the pour generates a fairly sizable head (>2cm) of small and medium-sized bubbles, white to off-white in color, and fading in a few minutes to a perpetual cap of about 0.3cm atop the body of the beer. The lacing left behind is fairly substantial and interesting. The body itself is a hazy, fairly opaque golden yellow in color, with slight orange highlights when held to the lamp. I could make out some carbonation in the glass, explaining the consistent cap.

Aroma is fairly complex, it is difficult to find references to what I am smelling. There is a substantial raw sweetness at the forefront, coupled to the sensation of inhaling fruit-like wafer candy (Smarties, Rockets, or Fizzers). Closely beside this are less robust scents of acetic acid, candied orange and lemon peel, lemongrass, ginger, mint, and yeast.

The taste is more complex than the aroma, and again it is difficult to put to words what I am tasting. Opens with some of the candy-like sweetness in the nose melting quickly into tartness and bitterness. Then emerges some citrus (orange zest and rind, candied lemon peel) and herbal components (ginger, lemongrass, mint) alongside . Finish is a gradual decline of all those flavors into a small blip of graininess (the graininess disappears as it warms). Never any indication that this had any ethanol in it, certainly not 8%.

Medium-bodied with carbonation that is a bit overaggressive at first. Waiting a bit allows the carbonation to settle out and is much more enjoyable on the palate. Overall mouthfeel is fairly crisp, slightly smooth with the dissipation of the carbonation.

3.98/5  rDev -6.8%

Pouring from a cork and capped 750ml bottle comes a straw golden super clear beer. the aromatics of corn, thyme and rosemary seep from the glass backed by some higher alcohol esters. The flavor is good, but to me is more of a belgian triple than a saison, very little of the barnyard horsey wild character that I like to see in a saison. Mouthfeel is good, it is medium body but finishes super dry. Overall this is a really great beer and I would recommend it, but it is not a great example of the saison style to me.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

Many thanks to Beenitty for this awesome surprise. Something I have heard of for some time now and never been able to enjoy. Corked and capped bottle, poured from bottle into my Jester King Farmhouse glass. Pours a cloudy light yellow color, some head that dissipates quickly. Smell- vinegar and citrus lime. The funk hits me in the nose and gets me excited here. Not sure if the sour is intentional? Taste- tight carbonation, some tartness, wet grass, cracked pepper, lemon citrus. The vinegar is barely there, but its there. This is a pleasant, light, airy Saison, and very different from all others of the style I have ever had. A very enjoyable experience.

3.11/5  rDev -27.2%

I picked this up at the Davis Beer Shoppe. This is a green bottle with a bottle cap. Under the cap is a cork. When attempting to withdraw the cork, I broke it, which was really annoying. There was lots of yeasty sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

I poured the Fantome into a snifter. There was a lot of foam, but this may have been from shaking the bottle too much when trying to uncork it. The color was yellow, or golden. It was clear and not too cloudy.

This beer smelled fowl, not funky, but fowl. I thought maybe it was spoiled, and looked for mold in the bottle (I once saw a bottle of beer with a brain-like mold/fungus growing in it). Everything checked out so I figured I would drink it. It tasted like sour apples, and reminded me of a Lindemans Apple. It was not redolent of any other siason that I have sampled. Carbonation was light in the mouth. At 8%, I didn’t taste a bit of alcohol.

This was not what I was expecting. I enjoyed it overall, and perhaps if my expectations were different, then I would have been more pleased. I cannot say that I would buy another bottle, but one of my friends told me each bottle taste different. At $14, I am not willing to take the risk.

3.32/5  rDev -22.2%

The first pour from the bottle showed great clarity. The last pour was completely murky from the sediment. But I’ll base this off the first pour…

Poured into a tulip. Golden color with a fizzy white head that fades to a cap.

I smelled something that was borderline cider. A nice funk, with some bright, grassy lemon grass notes and a little noticeable yeast. Smells like a summery saison.

The taste was tart with a little sweetness, but not too tart for me to handle. Cider-like. Some spicy notes outline an earthy funk to the taste. It’s pleasant tasting if you’re in the right mood. I feel like I want it in warmer weather.
Fairly dry and very crisp.

I enjoyed trying this, and I can see it has its own greatness, but I won’t buy it again. The one other Fantome brew I had was Noel, and I enjoyed that more.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

I believe this is the most recent vintage (end of 2011).

A: Pours a pale straw color with a medium opacity. above the haze sits perhaps the most stark bone white head I've seen on a beer. Two fingers of foam fizzles off in a relatively short amount of time leaving just a little bit of lacing behind.

S: The smell is so familiar and yet completely alien. Im thinking it's closest to pez candy (the grape flavored ones). confection like sugar candy but with a tart sort of synthetic flavor. Unique to say the least, and not bad either.

T: Complexity is through the roof... Tart and bitter flavors harmonize along with a near perfect tiny champagne bubbled carbonation (think cantillon). Its like grated lemon zest (no pith) with an unidentifiable, pez candy like, sweet sour quality. A subtle grassy and herbaceous bitterness fills in on the finish. This is a fantastic brew.

M: fantastic... deeply hidden tiny carbonation bubbles help to bring forth this beers flavors, everything one could ask for.

O: one of, if not, my favorite saison. Great balance and depth, while extremely light and whimsical all at once.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Pours a cloudy and golden in color with orange highlights. The head is thick and rocky and off-white.

S - Strong fruity aroma with apple and citrus upfront, slightly tart and funky.

T - Very well balanced between apples, peach, and orange flavors. Crisp. Hides the alcohol exceptionally well.

M - Well carbonated, fills the mouth with bubbles. Medium mouthfeel.

O - Overall a very good beer. I'm not into saisons but I really like this one. Very deserving of being the best saison out there.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Thanks to Dan (NittanyBeerFan) for sending this my way recently. Immediately chilled and poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: The appearance is downright gorgeous. Incredibly murky yellow straw color with a fluffy and creamy snow white head. The haze in this beer is unreal. Most likely due from the yeast, but I suspect also from a generous amount of wheat in it. The beer is almost glowing with its yellow haze.

S: One of the most aromatic beers I have ever smelled. I immediately get a whiff of skunky, dank Euro hops. Very grassy. Next, tons of wet hay, and some dank mushrooms. Then, a boatload of tropical fruits (peach, strawberry, orange, lemon). Lastly, a nice fresh wheat scent. Just so complex of a smell.

T: The taste is similar to the smell, but it does not have all those flavors listed. It is super wheaty, with a ton of tropical fruits. But it is not very hoppy, although it does have a nice hay/grass flavor.

Overall, this was one of the premier saisons I have ever had. Top three no doubt. Job well done.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme