Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

Added by Thrasher on 07-24-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,958 |  Reviews: 827
4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

I've had three bottles of this beer. The good one was the best beer I've ever tasted. The other two were badly spoiled and were among the worst I've ever had. I rated the good one here. I'm glad I tried the Fantome, but for my money, I'll take Saison Dupont because it is less expensive and definitely more consistent.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden amber with a thick, fluffy white head.

S: Very complex nose dominated by green apples, alcohol, grass, pears, and woody spice with just a hint of barnyard funk. This is how a saison should smell.

T: Opens fruity and a little tart with notes of oak, spice, lactic yeast, green apples, pears, grass, semi-sweet white wine, and alcohol. The finish is very earthy and rich with notes of spice, yeast, and orchard fruits underscored by a swell of mellow alcohol. Very smooth and very poised.

M: Medium-to-full bodied, thick, and firm with a decent amount of carbonation.

O: This is an excellent saison and is fully deserving of its reputation as a world classic. This should be on everyone's must try list.

4.6/5  rDev +7%

a: fingers worth of egg shell white head. golden and slightly hazy. almost transparent but still translucent.

s: funky. acidic and bready.

t: this is almost like a slightly sweet gueuze. sour green apple notes, sweet grass, and a decent amount of tartness.

m: starts off semi-sweet and finishes dry and sour. I'm blown away by the complexity of this beer.

o: I want to buy a case of this beer. amazingly balanced for such a complex beer. not a typical saison, but fantome is not a typical brewery.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

I've been looking forward to this saison ever since I read about this beer on BA. I was excited to pick up a bottle at the local liquor store. This seemed like a very good choice to celebrate my 200th review.

This is the best example of how a saison should smell. I get belgian yeast, grassiness, and fresh seasoning off the top. It smells really good.

The coloring is as expected. It pours golden with a couple fingers of head. You also get the cloudiness as well. The head remains in a halo to leave a pleasant bit of lacing on the glass.

The flavor is amazing as well. This has a nice bit of sourness.

Surprise, surprise this is an amazing beer. One of the best of my lifetime.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

Sampled from a 750 ml bottle bought in Belgium near the Luxembourg border, hoping for a fresh example.

A - Beer is cloudy and golden in color with orange highlights. The head is thick and rocky and off-white.

S - The aroma is rich and interesting. I get a mix of peppery spice, bubblegum, sweet fruit (apricot?) and bready grain. There is just the slightest hint of funky barnyard smells, but only if I search for them.

T - The taste is dominated by sweet fruit and bubblegum, like Juicy Fruit gum. Later in the palate there is a spiciness that could be from either hops or yeast. There is a bit of hops bitterness and a hint of alcohol flavor. The finish is very dry and crisp despite the initial sweetness. It has none of the funk that I have tasted in other examples from Fantome.

M - Medium body. No alcohol burn. The carbonation gives a smooth, fluffy feel.

O - This is a very enjoyable, complex saison. Although it is sweet up front, it dries quickly and has very little aftertaste. I bought this on the recommendation of Chris from Miorge Mihoublon, who told me that Fantome's products can be very inconsistent, but that this batch was very good. Thanks, Chris--you were right!

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

A. Pours cloudy yellow with a touch of orange in it. Fizzy white head that leaves no lacing.

S. Lots of peach and apricot

T. Lots of bright citrus fruit on the tongue as well. Some nice mild tartness.

M. Medium body with a nice level of carbonation.

D. This is great. Not as funky as I expected, but very good.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Thanks Roger

Pours a hazy yellow. Some nice white head.. Smells sweet and fruity. Lots of intresting aromas. Very nice. Tastes sweet and fruity. Lots of light berries almost and citrus. Very enjoyable. Good solid mouthfeel. Overall very enjoyable. Roger definitely chose well with this one

Tasting at Jackie O's

A-hazy yellow body with no head what so ever

S-little funky that's smells like it is pretty awesome

T-apricots and another fruit I cannot quite put my finger on

M-light body and tartness that leaves my mouth watering

O-decent beer. Would have again.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

During a recent trip to San Francisco I was fortunate enough to share a bottle of Fantôme. I endured some friendly ribbing about my enthusiasm and excitement, but it was all well-deserved. It was the last bottle at the place. The only reason I knew about it was because a group of guys had ordered one to split as well. Usually if I’m at a better beer bar I stick to what’s on tap and at this place I had a couple of decent choices. (In fact, I don’t even think about asking for a bottle list unless I can see the bottles. It always surprises me when someone orders a bottle at the Toronado, for this reason!) I wanted something I could share with my companion and nothing excited the both of us equally well. And then along came… Fantôme!

The brewtender prefaced this by saying that in her experience no two bottles were alike. It’s a sentiment I’ve heard repeated by others who have had this more than once and I look forward to weighing in on its accuracy someday. She poured this into New Belgium snifter glasses. Personally I would have preferred a tulip but I survived.

Fantôme poured a cloudy orange color. The beer has this very big, floral bouquet. Yeasty. Wonderful carbonation, to the point where I picture this beer cascading from the bottle into the glass into my mouth. Lots of flavors. I pick up a lot of zesty citrus: orange peel, orange flowers, and a lingering, complex after taste.
Some funk comes through midway and in the finish. It definitely develops more funky and sour notes as it warms. Some straw and ‘barnyard’ funk, cliché tho the phrase may be. A lingering, complex aftertaste. Didn’t get the sense that it was 8% until after we finished the bottle.

In three words: Floral, fruity, funky. Holy smokes this is an amazing beer.

100th review! (and #666 for the Fantôme, apparently. Ooooh, spooky!)

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a moderately sized white head that has great retention and leaves a lot of nice lacing.

Strong fruity aroma with apple and citrus upfront, slightly tart and funky.

Taste starts out a little grassy and fruity, notes of green apple and lemon show up along with Belgian yeast and light spices in the back.

Light to medium body with medium carbonation. Lightly sour, nice funk, very refreshing overall. One of the best saisons around in my book.

I got a bottle of this while on vacation in Vegas and was blown away. I opened it at a beer tasting and I think I speak for everybody at the event that it was one of the highlights.

A: light orange in color, very little head. I am a guy that likes to look at a beer under light and when done with this beer you can see the yeast float around the bottle. It looks pretty awesome.

S: it has an earthy smell and a hint of apricot.

T/M: spices and citrus, almost perfect carbonation.

Overall one of the best saisons I have ever had. Highly recommend this one.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours an heavy looking orange/golden color with a 2 in white head. Carbonation is strong and very evident visually. Despite the large amount of sediment in the bottle I don't see any in the glass.

Smell is slightly funky but not as much so as some other euro-made saisons i've had. Fruity notes that I could best define as "apple-y". Slight hops but nothing particularly floral.

Taste is pretty in line with the smell, except a little stronger in all aspects. A really well balanced taste and I have to say I appreciate that it was not overly "funky".

Mouthfeel is almost perfect for the style. Drinks very easily for the relative heft of the beer.

Overall this is a great example of the style. I'm generally a fan of more "clean" saisons made stateside, but this one may have moved to the top of the list for me. A great blending of flavors and the best utilization of the sometimes abstract "funk" flavor that i've had in a beer.

3.4/5  rDev -20.9%

Green bottle. Enjoy by Jan 2013.

Very murky straw yellow body with some brownish tones. Thick head that yellow tinged. Leave a very small covering and some decent lacing.

Slight citric sourness and grass. Musty earthiness. Some 'barnyard.' slight skunk aromas.

Tart citric sourness, lemon rind. Green apples. Tons of grass and earth. Light spicing with a good dose of carbonation. Very dry with a lingering sourness, almost metallic.

Wasn't expecting the sourness, but I do enjoy it. Would have liked to seen some more spices. I don't like the finish; it makes me think the bottle is slightly skunked. Don't know if this is how it's supposed to be, or if it's because of the green glass. Not bad, but not as great as I'd heard.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

First off I love Fantome. Enjoyed from a bottle (that had a cork and cap!) into a La Trappe goblet on the evening of 9/23/11. Shared with 4 other people.

A - Hazy yellow/gold almost orangish hue. Nice white head of a finger. Amazing retention and lacing.

S - Farmhouse. Complexly farmhouse. First thing that comes to mind. Its so well blended its sort of hard to pick out individual components. Yeasty, grassy, a little hint of some citrus maybe? Just crazy.

T - This beer is ludacrisly good. Some definate citrus and yeasty qualities but once again its so well put together it just taste like one huge individual component. Its fantastic.

M - It has weight without being too heavy. Carbonated. Just perfect for a saison.

O - Dany is the frickin man. No doubt about it. This is just such an exceptional saison.

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle poured into my Duvel Tulip.

A - Pours a light, cloudy orange with a large white fluffy head. Awesome retention and lacing.

S - Belgian yeast, funk, grass, wheat, very earthy.

T - Sour lemons, sweet wheat, slight yeast. Farmhouse for sure.

D - Tart, but no overly. Tons of carbonation and average to light body.

O - Wow, what is this? This beer is unique for sure. I really enjoyed it. I have heard that each bottle can be unique. I will try another for sure.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

can't believe it took me this long to review this one.

Pours a nice fizzy 1 finger head that fades fairly quickly, over hazy golden yellow color.

Nose has nice farmhouse aromas, light funk and Belgian funky yeast, some golden Belgian malt aromas, light spices, hints of bright fruit and citrus, and the faintest hint of booze and Belgian yeast esters as it warms.

Taste comes on with funk, light Brett like funk, then Belgian saison like funky farmhouse yeast, a very light barnyard funk gets stronger as it warms and sits on my tongue. The light Belgian golden malts keep a base going with the nice fruit, hints of bright fruit, citrus, maybe even a touch of banana, as well as some interesting but light spices. Some warming booze licks the tongue and warms me, bringing light esters as well. Fairly dry throughout and especially on the finish, which brings a bit of a bitterness like lemon peel bitterness, hint of citrus, fruit and spices.

Mouth is med bodied, warming and slightly tingly booze, good carb.

Overall awesome saison. Great malts, nice fruits and citrus, hint of funk and just enough booze, esters, and Belgian malts to give it a nice kick.

The weirdest beer out there, try two bottles from the same batch and they will both be noticeably different - a fantome for sure.
All the labels say the same thing on the Shelton imports, so you don't really get any info aside from alcohol content, batch and best by if you are lucky.
One thing that carries over in the taste is the taste of sour tangerine candy - you know, sour gummy worms and such. It's like that, holding the torch for the most heavy unicorn blanket taste out there.

Moderate carbonation with a pretty pure white head.

So inconsistent but consistently wonderful saison.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to xnicknj for the bottle.

Hazy golden bodied saison. Three finger bone white head is produced after a moderate pour. The head recedes slowly. A one half finger cap remains seated atop. Thick lacing left clinging to the walls of the glass.

The aroma is rather complex. Very earthy, musty aroma upfront. A bit of a floral fragrance and light citrus is set just behind. The combination of dirty Belgian yeast and funk and light citrus makes for and interesting pairing.

Slightly tart, almost a nectarine flavor upfront. There is a lot more fruit flavors coming through than I expected. There is a notable brettiness to the beer. Dry, dusty, earthy flavor lingers on the back of the tongue. Subtle pale malt sweetness lies beneath. There is a slight hop flavor, rather floral bitterness, but it is less than assertive.

Light bodied saison. Carbonation is a shade under moderate, a little lower than I expect but works very well for the style. The finish is very dry, very pleasant.

Fantastic beer all the way around. The aroma and flavor are impressive, though do not equal the drinkability. I could easily go through several pours in an evening. It is unfortunate we do not see Fantome in West Michigan, this would be a regular purchase.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

A- Pours a two-inch white head on a golden-bodied beer. Head recedes to a thin cover with a little lacing left.

S- Citrusy, with a bit of spice.

T- Very well balanced between apples, peach, and orange flavors. Crisp. Hides the alcohol exceptionally well.

M- Well carbonated, fills the mouth with bubbles. Medium mouthfeel.

D/O- Hard to imagine a more widely available saison with a better flavor profile. A real treat, would like to try other Fantomes.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

A: pours orange-yellow with ample amounts of thick & creamy head. Tons of white head -- more than I've ever seen on a saison -- but it leaves precious little lace. Decent retention; a quick swirl awakens the ghost once more.

S: tart fruits, wild Belgian yeast, grassy and earthy. Wish it were more bold.

T/M: a surprisingly full-bodied brew! Sour fruit and funky yeast are strong enough to be interesting, yet still smooth and not overpowering. Dry finish. Perfectly carbonated too. I'm finding difficulty writing more than this; it's just so refreshingly good.

D: the 8% is virtually nonexistent. Smooth and dry on the back end; leaves you craving more.

I've had saisons that were crazier with more funk & spices but none that brought everything together so well. Maybe it's the thick, creamy body of Fantôme, or maybe it's something else. Regardless, I'm pretty sure this is the best saison I've ever had.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Yellow appearance, great virgin white head, good retention. Aroma was mild dry tart notes to it, citrus.

Great tart/sour notes in the taste, comes off like a bretted imperial berlinerweisse, like a steroid hottfordavidleeroth. Dry, hides alcohol like a champ. Citrus undertones. Lemongrass and morning dew. Probably the best fruit/citrus taste aspect I've ever come across in a saison. Green and sour apple too. Most seem to just be dry, refreshing, this bad boy had some depth to it.

Pricey though at $15 a pop, it'll prolly be one of those 'once a summer' type of beers, but at least I won't be let down.

Huge thanks to MikeytotheB for sending this my way in the NOOB BIF 5. It seems like this beer has been as elusive to me as the ghost that haunts the bottle's logo. Really psyched to finally try it. 750 bottle, Batch B, best by May 2012, into my Duvel tulip.

If first impressions are everything, consider this the epitome of positive ones. Opaque and murky, yet strangely, glowing orange hue with mounds of loose sediment and an abundance of carbonation bubbles. A fizzy white head quickly builds up to about a finger's worth and then quickly settles down. Absolutely gorgeous, the hot blonde bombshell of the Saison world.

Nose is incredibly complex and intricate, releasing aromas of musty basement, hay, lemon tartness, bread, woody oak, sour apple, earthy floral elements and peppery spice. Really really well meshed, both fruity and funky.

Tastes about as one would expect from the nose, slightly sour on the palate with a pleasing barnyard funkiness from the yeast. Possesses a mildly bitter twang on the back end with some biscuit like characteristics and spiciness present throughout. Just amazing, that's really all I can say.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, crisp, dry, effervescent and highly drinkable.

Simply put, this is one of the best beers in the world, and truly deserving of the recognition it receives, including my first perfect review. I can't wait to track some more down, Cheers!

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Opaque. Super hazy from the sediment. Yummy. Deep gold with a bright-white, bubbly, dense head. So much sediment it's crazy.

Smell: Weed coupled with an old cellar. Lots of earthiness and something floral. Bananas, horse blanket, and hay. Touches of lemon. Any hops that might exist are old and withered, giving off a musty and earthy bite. The malts are nuances, slightly sweet, but leaning toward a dank earthiness more than anything.

Taste: Slightly sour. Dirty basement, horse blanket, and stale weed. Oddly sweet. Something like grapefruit and must (as in musty) play through. Super complex. Apple cider. The horse blanket really works with the light sourness and the damp earthiness. Everything going on is present and assertive, but nothing dominates. So very delicious.

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth. Dry on the back, but solid overall. A little rough on the tongue from all the sediment, but damn if it isn't nice. Faintly carbonated.

Overall: If this isn't one of the best saisons out there, I don't know what is. I was sure I disliked the style before I tried this beer. It's a mind-altering experience. I'm just sad it disappears from shelves as quickly as it does.

3.67/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance: Hazy, deep straw. Solid, lasting head.

Smell: Lots of funk on this. Otherwise expected semi-sweet malt nose with a very restrained hop character.

Taste: Slightly sweet, some funkiness, tart, but well balanced. A little astringent. Odd for the style - perhaps a poorly traveled bottle.

Mouthfeel: Nice mouthfeel, velvety, almost over carbonated. I have a feeling this bottle was stored somewhere very warm for a while.

Overall: Good beer, enjoyable. More funk/tartness than I was expecting. Would drink again, but wouldn't go out of my way for it.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a straw color with a good bit of haze to it. The aroma is slightly funky and a little spicy with a noticeable malt presence. The flavor is less funky than the smell but still detectable the beer is light and very well balanced with good carbonation. Overal one of the better saisons I have had to date.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme