Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

Added by Thrasher on 07-24-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,951 |  Reviews: 826
4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Happy Mayday everyone! It's a beautiful warm and sunny spring Sunday afternoon here, making a saison sound like the perfect beer right now.

Fills the glass with a cloudy but bright orange body. A dense and frothy pure white head fills the upper portions of the glass and slowly fades to leave some sticky lace behind. Tough to find any faults with such a beautiful pour.

Aroma greets you with a strong presence of tropical fruits with notes of mango, pineapple, and orange making a great first impression. Lemon tartness alongside some flowery and grassy aromas add to the complexity of this aroma. Finally, though it takes a while to show up, a pleasant yeasty baryard funk lets you know this really is a Saison.

Like the aroma, Tropical fruit notes provide a sweet and slightly tart flavor initially. Slowly but surely as the carbonation dissipates, these step aside to make way for some underlying herbal and flowery notes mixed in with some peppery spice. As with many good saisons, the farmhouse aspects of this beer also make themselves known with some yeasty and earthy funk characteristics.

Mouthfeel is light with a decent amount of carbonation but does not finish as quite dry as I would have expected. Overall, this beer has instantly become one of my favorite Saisons and I know understand why it is ranked as the #1 saison on this site. I see myself drinking this one as much as possible this summer.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

A- Murky orange body with some white head that disappeared right away.

S- Fresh banana's that are spiced and diced with some crackers. Tons of yeast character that lends a nice bit of spiciness.

T- Sweet banana and a bit of a sweet acidic green apple quality, a bit of herbal and grassy hops provide a nice balance, a malty cracker taste emerges more as the brew warms up.

M- Very much alive with moderate carbonation.

O- Unparalleled complexity and taste in the Saison market.

1.72/5  rDev -60%

So I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what but I really didn't find this beer to be anything special.

Looked about like what I expected. Little darker in color than some Saisons I have had. dark yellow but you could see through it.

S: kinda fruity but not in a way I perceived to be correct for the style. Something funky lurching on the nose. Maybe this suffered heat damage?

T: Tasted like a bland hefe. I expected more tartness to this.

M: Seemed very thin to me

I would not try this again. Especially at the price. I expected much more given all the hoopla around this beer.

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%

750 ml corked and capped bottle with best by date not marked, poured into three Saison Dupont glasses.

Murky amber hued with plenty of "stuff" floating in it even when poured gently. I poured this beer into three glasses and the amount of sediment was drastically different, with the last glass many times murkier than the first. A layer of sediment settled on the side of the bottle after pouring and at the bottom of the glasses as well.

The head on this beer was surprisingly disappointing: tiny soda bubbles formed and left really fast even though the glasses it was poured into favor good retention. Only thing left was a tiny ring of finer bubbles, and no lacing whatsoever.

As I was pouring, I could pick some hops. When I brought the glass closer, I got the dubbel like dessert notes of toasted dark fruit but once I sniffed, all I could think was massive funk. Horses - scores of 'em. And then some faint tartness lurking somewhere. It's amazing how many things are going on in this ale!

Tastes like it smells, only stronger. Moreover, the taste is strongly dependent upon the part of the bottle the pour is from. Strong notes of dark fruit, lighter fruit, lemony tartness and bitterness. Perhaps the most complex beer I have tasted, if not the most delicious. Tastes more like a blend than an individual beer. The best comes when it warms up and starts to taste like honey with a few drops of lemon. Nice!

Quite dry and slightly bitter with a long fruity finish; although I am sure that my bottle wasn't properly conditioned given the poor appearance. And even then, this is the best beer I have had in its style. I would buy much more of it if (a) It was cheaper than almost ~$15/bottle (b) Didn't come in green bottles and (c) Fantôme was known for putting out a consistent product.

Lot d, best by July 2013

A: Pours a cloudy straw yellow with a quickly receding, fizzling head

S: Very distinct barnyard-like yeast (not sour, though), light fruits such as lemons, apples, and berries. Slightly spicy, but very clean

T: Same as the smell, very barnyard-like, along with those tart fruits and spice. Alcohol goes unnoticed except for in the finish, where it adds nicely to the spicy and fruity notes

M: Medium-light bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation

D/O: A great spring/summer beer that is quaffable for an 8%er. This one makes me want to try the seasonal varieties, and see where they can go. I’ve only seen the winter version in my area, but I might just try to seek out the other 3 as well

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

A: cloudy straw-yellow, big head settles to a frothy ring, scumming the sides of the glass

S: strawberry and apricot jam, it smells like candy--pink Starburst--with some grassy parsley in the background

T: very fruity, that same strawberry candy from the nose, raspberries, but it still manages to remain a beer through the addition of lager-y malts and hops

M: full bodied, good carbonation

O: very interesting and very drinkable, it's really surprising to me that I liked this but I would happily drink another

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle sampled during the first Central Ohio Beer Tasting.

I forget whose this was, I want to credit MpgBugeye though since Fantome is one of his favorite breweries.

Cloudy wheat color - quite golden, with a tall cap of white head.

I was told about the smell, but nothing could quite prepare me for it - strawberries! Holy cow, how does this happen? Definitely the most interesting natural saison (no added fruit or other extreme adjuncts) that I am familiar with. Semi-sweet low fat whipped cream makes for a pseudo strawberry shortcake type of aroma. Doughy malt, but very light.

Slightly tart with hints of lemon. The funk here is super active. Stinky cheese - like Gorgonzola and dry attic dust with barnyard hay make this a very traditional, and extreme, saison.

Dry, very yeasty, with high carbonation. This bottle was enough to wake me up to the world of Fantome, and I am now curious to sample more.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Opaque yellow-orange-brown. Almost hefe-like.

S: Sour apricots, shoe leather, green papaya.

T: Green apple, lemon, grass, sour apricots, tart guava. Water crackers. Pink peppercorns, sage. Fantastic balance. The soft tart note lingers throughout the profile, illuminating the flavors around it in fascinating ways.

M: Medium body with a nice carbonation that tingles in and out of the tartness in the profile. An orange-sweetness in the finish is balanced by a tart dryness.

O: Complex and delicious. Tastes like a lambic/saison hybrid.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%

Fantome saison pours a hazy yellow with a creamy white head that begins to stick to the glass immediately. Good retention and lacing.

As soon as I start to pour the aroma reaches my nose. All kinds of yeasty scents going on, funky and horsey mixes with fruit. Bready malt, lightly sweet, a little bit grassy. Very nice.

The flavor has the same components as the aroma, but I notice them in the opposite order. Bready malts, sweetness, a bit of a candied sugar flavor greet me immediately. Followed by a slightly sour, quite funky, very dry yeast character. The finish has a mix of both fruit and pepper, along with another bite of tartness. The finish also seems to be lightly spiced, maybe a little bit of cardamom.

The mouthfeel is spot-on. Effervescent, silky, and mouth-filling.

I think the flavor was a little bit of a letdown after how amazing and funky the aroma was, but I still liked my first Fantome beer quite a bit. I know that this brewery is known for their spices, but I would prefer a little less of a spiced taste so that fantastic yeast profile could shine.

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%

Opens with a loud cork pop and an immediate blast of farmhouse yeast aroma. Pours a lovely straw-orange color, good clarity, 1-finger white head which recedes quickly. Yeasty aroma reveals some lemon, tropical fruit, spice and floral notes. Taste is floral, herbal, a balance of mild sweetness and sourness. Lively mouthfeel, lingers but without any heaviness.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Open this bottle and had a gusher. Pours a cloudy honey orange color with a large white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma has oranges, lemons, Belgian yeast, coriander, and peaches. Very impressive. I can't wait to try it.

Tastes just like the aroma. Oranges, lemons, Belgian yeast, coriander, and peaches. Has a sweet falvor, but is not cloying. Such a good beer, that I want to keep drinking and not stop.

Medium bodied with high carbonation. Very easy to drink. Both sweet and dry. The alcohol is well hidden. This beer is very easy to drink.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

750ml bottle served in a chalice.

A: Visual is not outstanding. Pours a light orange color with a medium to small bubbled white head. Head disapears quickly leaving no lacings. A lot of sendiments in the bottom of the bottle. The more you pour it, more cloudy it becomes

S: Very fruity and spicy. Quite citrus. Notes of grains, apples and vanilla. Some flowery hops in the end

T: Perfect mouth. First of all refreshing. I was expecting it to be much more sour, like a Lambic, but it's not. It's mild sour with an also discreet bitterness. Very spicy, indeed. Complex. Difficult to describe all the spicies. It's herbal, peppery and, at the same time, fruity and citric. Notes of apples, sweet malts and a mild bitter hoppy end

M: Light to medium body. Medium carbonation. Sour fruitiness as aftertaste

O: High drinkability. My first Saison Ale, great surprise. Strongly recommend

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Bottle, BB March 2012. I'm gutted to say that having held on to this for 18 months after drinking a tonne of these in the US, the flavours have faded considerably. This review kind of conflates my memory with the real-time of this review.

Hazy marmalade, moderate white head, okay retention. Gotta watch that sediment.

Sticky apricot danish, rosewater, fresh tangerines and boiled sweets. Pungent floral aromas reminiscent of trampling through my grandmother's garden. Twang of spice that unfortunately I can't identify. So delectable.

Almost all of the above divinely balanced by a dash of green apple tartness.

Medium mouthfeel, perfect carbonation. Simply astonishing that this is 8% - tastes lighter than Dupont Saison.

Exquisite. A feast for the senses yet at the same time crisp, refeshing and approachable.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Body is a cloudy gold with a foamy head that quickly dissipates to a cap and ring, leaving minimal lacing.

Besides a malty aroma, this smells like a lemon lollipop.

Tastes lemony sour, balanced by a bit of sweetness, and some barnyard funk. I also get a bit of strawberry.

Body is light and carbonation is effervescent, giving this a scrubbingly refreshing mouthfeel.

This is a delightful sour saison with clean lemony sour notes and is very drinkable.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%

A huge thanks to Aw yeh for sharing this beer with me. The corkscrew broke in the cork so we ended up pulling it out with pliers haha. Thanks World Market ten dollar corkscrew

Appearance - An extremely cloudy sickly green. Tons of yeast floating around in it. Very opaque and looks like murky apple juice. Looks delicious.

Smell - A huge presence of apples right upfront. Slightly acidic and funky on the nose. This smell relaxes me and makes me think I am laying under an apple tree. Smells slightly sour.

Taste - Hmm. Not nearly as sour as I expected it to be. Apples absolutely dominate the taste and it is delicious. An awesome cider apple taste with a slight sweet/sour zing.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - Exceptionally drinkable and easy to drink. Perfectly enjoyed either as gulping or sipping. A good apple zing to it.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

From a bottle I picked up at The Wine and Cheese Place. Bottle had about a 3 to 4 months of age on it. Served during opening day of grilling at my house, to celebrate the new grill! Paired with Lamb patties mmmm

Poured in to Tulip with a golden hue not clear but no clouds. Head formed with ease and did not over take the glass. The aroma was incredible as sweet but earthy aroma took over the air. The aroma had a bit of a bit to it which was very nice. The flavor was excellent as the earthy tones were present and well balanced with the sweetness behind the brew. I really enjoyed this brew and will pick it up whenever I see it.
The 8% was hardly noticable and I would be able to have this brew through out the night.

Saw my 200th review approaching and was struggling to decide what to review. Then I saw it. At KJ Baarons for $17.50, a bottle of Fantôme Saison. Finally, I had found my bottle. Bottle number 87/477047

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a gloriously light crystal golden straw hue with a big, fluffy two finger head atop. That head, man oh man. Never faded to less than a thick (quarter inch) white blanket leaving wonderful side lacing. Just wow.

S - Yeah, this is a saison alright. That wonderful funk, yeast, and super fresh lemony sourness.

T - Sweet mother of mercy! This is everything a saison is supposed to be! That spectacular funk is potent throughout, but that lemony sourness. Man oh man is it good. Just the right amount of spice and twang too.

M - Theres just enough of natural carbonation here. Wonderful dry, crisp finish. Incredibly refreshing.

D - Yeah, theres a reason why this is one of, if not the best saison's out there. Its simply spectacular and deserves every bit of recognition. Simply put, see this bottle in store buy immediately.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

A- Pours a honey yellow color with a nice white head. Head is pretty good sized, not too much in the way of retention and leaves little lacing.

S- Pretty funky straight off the bat. I'm picking up tart apples, pears, actaually quite a bit of citrus, barnyard, and yeast.

T- Not really a huge fan of the style, but this one is pretty solid. Taste follows the nose well. Strong fruity flavors, apples and citrus are the most present, and a bit of tartness. A bit of spice and yeast are also here.

M- Very light in body and quite a bit of carbonation.

D- I found this one to be very easy to drink. I might even say this one is a slow drinker, but still very solid. I'm impressed with this one.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, orange-brown color. Has a large, rocky head that dissipates slowly down to a thick film and leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: Smells fruity (almost citrusy) with that strong musty, yeasty aroma so common to saisons.

Taste: Starts off mildly bitter and finishes sweet and fruity. The yeast is always noticeable in the background and there is a good bit of spiciness as well. This is a damn fine saison, perhaps the best I've had.

Mouthfeel: Has a very natural feel to it with only just enough carbonation to give it a nice bite. Has a very refreshing feel to it.

Drinkability: An exceptional saison, perhaps the best I've had. This was a gift from a friend and what a gift it was! This is a very complex beer with many layers that express themselves differently as the beer progresses. Despite it's relatively high ABV, it drinks very easily, making it enjoyable and complex at the same time. Never pass this one up!

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

pours a hazy orange. Cloudy with generous champagne like bubbly head.
Smells citrusy. strawberry, has a alcohol tone to it. has a generous amounts of apple to it.
Taste is warm. Dry, citrus tartness, pears and apples again. it is very sweet and yet the warmness of the alocohol tends to bite more then you would imagine a saison to. drinks kind of like a tripel.
is almost perfectly carbonated. there is no bitterness to this, and its pretty much tart. Once you get past the first drink. Things tend to get better. it drinks better and better with each sip. i believe this drinks more like a tripel, rather then a saison though.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Fantôme Saison

Appearance: champagne yellow, small head, and very good lacing.

Smell: slight acidic sourness, strawberries, and raspberry.

Taste: strawberry, faint yeast, and other berries.

Mouthfeel: medium.

Overall:
This has a great deal of strawberry flavor. It is mighty nice.

3.94/5  rDev -8.4%

I liked this beer very much. A nice looking beer with a great big head. Smell is lightly funky, and a little unforgivably skunky. The flavor is spicy, and sharply bitter, with just a little funk. The beer has a mouth feel very similar to champagne. I've got a feeling from the aroma that I might have been drinking a mishandled bottle. Getting a better is on my long list of beer-y things to do.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Poured with a moderate-large, foamy white head that held for awhile before dissipating to a thin layer. Body is a deep gold color, with brilliant clarity. Effervescent.

S: Slight barnyard funkiness, with green apple coming through.

T: Mild-moderate funkiness, slightly tart, green apple, touch of sweetness. Very refreshing. Finishes quite dry. Complex, but none of the flavors fight over the others... it all works amazingly well.

M: Medium-light bodied, with moderate-high carbonation.

D: Delicious. Enough funkiness to set it apart from a lot of other Saisons, but dry and fruity enough to be refreshing.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

A- pours a golden straw body with a big white head

S- extremely fruity, highlights of honeydew and mellon, complemented with lemon zest and apple, a little bit of belgian spice in the nose as well

T- extremely balanced flavor, again very floral and fruity, similar to the nose, moderately carbonated, which subdues the spice and allows you to focus on other tastes

M- very refreshing and a strong finish, much fuller feel than other saisons

D- very refreshing and drinkable despite the large format

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Best before July 2013 notched on bottle. 750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a cloudy, golden orange color with a 1 finger, foamy white head that sticks around for a while. Moderate lacing left on the glass.

The nose is very strong. Huge amounts of fruity aromas, orange and pineapple, maybe some lemon. Tartness with some green apples and some funk on the back end. Smelled very spicy when I opened the bottle but none of that was present once in the glass.

Taste follows the nose. Strong fruity flavors, the citrus and apples are present, as is the tartness. Tart flavors are a bit stronger than the nose but nothing overpowering. Dry all the way through with some funk at the finish. A ripe, fruity flavor lingers on the tongue.

Very light body with minor but prickly carbonation that gives it a bit of a bite. Overall the mouthfeel is very light and dry.

Drinkability is outstanding for a beer of such high alcohol content. Drinks a bit slower because of the tartness so the 8% ABV doesn't really catch up. Crisp, refreshing and very enjoyable.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme