Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

Added by Thrasher on 07-24-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,958 |  Reviews: 827
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

750ml bottle from City Beer in SF.

Pours a cloudy golden color with a large white head and good lacing.

Aroma is very fruity - apricot, peach, and citrus - as well as sweet malt and Fantôme's typical heavy barnyard funk.

Flavor is really, really fruity. Did they use actual fruit in this? Loads of apricot and peach in the flavor, as well as some Valencia orange. The horseblanket you expect is also in there, although not in excess. A little sweet and a little tart.

Medium body with lively carbonation.

Very drinkable. An excellent saison overall, up there in the top tier of the style for sure.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

750ml bottle split courtesy of Bobsy - thanks for the good drinks man!

Pours a light, clear golden apple juice/straw color, not much head from the pour, settles to some light wispy lacing on top.

Nose kicks up marmalade, pear, cider, a light sourness and a hefty dose of grain. Very fruity.

Much more balance in the taste and a nice kick of sour to keep it interesting. Apples, lemons, pears, a hint of earth, grain, a light tartness. Just a hint of alcohol in the finish which belies the ABV, otherwise incredible smooth and drinkable.

Really nice balance, feel like you could drink it all night but at 8% this one could be dangerous - not a typical saison in that regards. Very nice beer, thanks Rob!

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My first Fantome, and hopefully a big hit because I have four different saisons from these guys and if this is a bust I'm gonna start worrying.

Pours a slightly hazy, rich gold with an off-white head that drops to nothing. A couple spots of lace stick, but were it not for the nice colouration this beer would be off to a bad start. The aroma is neat... full of tree fruit. I'm picking up some peach and apricot, some lemon, grass and a musty funk in the background.

Large white wine quality to the flavour. Fruity, but low on residual sugars, with a dry slightly sour finish. The fruit comes through with lemon, apple and peach and the spicy, slightly barnyard saison yeast assets itself in the finish. The dryness and sour edge really elevates this saison and makes it distinctive in a crowded category. You'd never tell this was 8%. Medium-light mouthfeel and fairly soft carbonation suits the beer well, and makes for quick drinking.

Saisons have risen to become mt favourite style, and even after all the ones I've had I can say that this Fantome is unique. I have heard that the flavour of a Fantome beer can vary drastically from year to year and batch to batch, but right now I'm really digging this one. It tastes like a saison with a bit of lambic thrown in for good measure, and its drinkability is extremely high. Great stuff, and I'm already anticipating what my other bottles have in store!

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Apple cider like golden yellow color. Single finger head quickly fades to almost nothing. Beautiful thin lacing.

S: Cider like smell with hints of cinnamon and other spices. Some citrus undertones. A bit of a sour nose.

T: Reminds me of cider. A bit sour, but tasty. Hints of spice and citrus.

M: Cleansing and refreshing while warming on the way down. Sourness puckers the tongue a bit. Decent carbonation that helps lift some flavors while other flavors stick to the tongue.

D: This one is kind of hard for me to judge. I had high expectations going in which made it hard for this to meet. Wish I could compare this to other Saisons side by side to see if I really like those better or if my expectations were out of whack. Definitely tasty, but I feel like I've had better.

Served: in a cervoise glass.

Review from notes taken on: 12/13/09.

3.1/5  rDev -27.9%

A: Pours a cloudy yellow/orange color. At first a two finger white head forms, but recedes in a second. Very light lace is left behind.
S: Funky barnyard and bready yeast up front. Lemon zest and some spices.
T: A lemony citrus flavor is most prevalent. Lightly sour and yeast. Dank and musty. There is not much here.
M/D: A light body that is a little under carbonated. Thin and watery. Not hard to drink, but I am really not all that interested in this.

I was looking forward to this, but I am underwhelmed. This is one of my favorite styles, but this did not do it for me. There is nothing much here. Mostly watered down lemon juice. Nothing I would recommend.

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Consumed on New Year's Day - 01.01.2010

A: Pours a hazy, pale apricot with a nice bone white head and plenty of sticky lacing.

S: Some initial horse blanket and funk, with a few citrus notes in the background. There's also a little bit of an apple cider smell. Highly aromatic and quite inviting.

T: A bit more muted than the nose, but all of those flavors come back. The brett is clearly present along with some citrus and cider notes. A bit of lemon and some white peach. Slightly sweet as well.

M: Quite dry, yet keeps me salivating. Nice and acidic, but balanced by a bit of sweetness and the perfect level of sourness.

D: Highly drinkable. Quite complex and always inviting. Definitely one of the best saisons that I've come across.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

Appears a hazy apricot color with an off white head.
Smells lightly sour, sweet malt. Honey, spice - A little funk
Taste is sour citrus some sweet malt in the middle, honey, straw.
The body is light/medium. Typical effervescent carbonation is near perfect for a Belgian saison.
A great saison...'nuf said.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Enjoyed this with Christmas dinner.

Beautiful murky golden appearance. A 1-finger head that recedes fairly quickly to just a single spotty layer of bubbles that remains til the end.

Smells wonderful. Hadn't had a saison in a long time, great surprise as my memory had left the present experience wide open to possibility. The "pungency" is perhaps as good as it gets. I have some lambics in the fridge which were also options, but I'm so glad I picked this beer over those. Thinking of those almost makes my mouth wrinkle in sour expectation, but this beer didn't do that once. Anyway! Lemonish (maybe other fruits, citruses in particular, which I can't specifically name) overtones, funk is right near the citrus in prominence, with very light grass-clippings and hay aromas showing themselves below that.

Taste follows, the smell makes for no surprises in the taste, but! the mouthfeel was probably the biggest surprise -- after the utmost delightful aroma, that is.

The mouthfeel is extraordinary. The carbonation is exactly where I'd want it for the style. It's spritzy enough to delight the tongue, yet smooth enough to delight whatever comes next. After fifteen or twenty minutes, my stomach isn't feeling any of the illl-effects I typically feel after drinking other Belgians that have pronounced levels of carbonation.

Drinkability is high. The 8% alcohol is flawlessly hidden behind the wonderful flavors. Everything about this beer leaves me wanting more. The light funkiness, citrus, appearance, smell, taste... where did you go, fantome?

Also, the moderate carbonation allows the taste to linger on the tongue between sips. That is a very good thing. Only after about ten minutes since my last sip is the taste finally dying. Guess I'll have to move on to something else...

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

2009 bottle, Red letters, shared by Brandon - thanks, man!

Pours a cloudy mandarin orange. Nice head sticks around for a bit before subsiding. This is a great looking beer.

Smells amazing. Fresh cut apples, strawberry, yeast.

Taste is so perfect! I wish we could rate batches of Fantome, as Danny makes some of the best beers ever, but every once in a while a bad-ish batch shows up (probably more due to the trip across the pond than his craftsmanship). After being a bit dissapointed with the last black label batch I picked up, I am thrilled to report the red letters batch is the bomb. Sour apple, puckering sour watermelon, strawberry and peach all sit atop a flawless light malt body, sealed into one cohesive flavor ride by the classic Fantome yeast. Mild spices and a slight cork flavor, but it all makes it better!! More and more flavors in the same vein emerge as this warms up.

Carb is lively as it should be for a lighter, fruity saison. Body is perfect.

Drinkability is off the charts. This is a killer beer, one of the best in the world, and something I will always keep a bottle or 20 on hand. World class, glad to finally start rating these Fantomes - I have a closet full just waiting to be rated :)

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to BA lacqueredmouse for sharing this bottle. Having drunk it before he suspects this bottle may have been off - but since I still enjoyed it I'm posting this review anyway. In the future you will not see this review because I will have re-reviewed with a fresh bottle.

Pours a sickly orange colour, translucent and day-glo in the body - a huge haze with some sediment chunks floating around in there. Head is small, leaves a ring of bubbles around the top, plus trails of off-white sticky lace. Looks like an interesting glob of unfiltered heaven.

Nose is hugely tart with a big lemon juice aroma and a big whiff of hay, a hint of leather, and some pineapple aroma as well. In fact smells a bit like slightly off pineapple, when it's begun to ferment. Very sweet overall, a lot of complexity lurking behind it though, excellent saison nose.

Tastes very fruity for the most part, with a lot of pineapple, guava and mango (!!) on the front. Turns slightly funky towards the mid with a decent barnyard kind of flavour, hints of camel and off fruit. Sour for the most part, but with an earthy soil edge, and not puckering. Finish though is tragically lacking - the palate really just sort of drops off, or fizzles out, with a slight lemon squash flavour lingering. A bit of grassiness at the back but it really finishes weakly, which is such a shame because it starts promisingly indeed.

Quick slick on the feel, but fairly full, goes down a bit slowly and with effort. Interesting, definitely, there's always something happening in the mouth.

Absolutely and utterly inoffensive beer. Pleasant, even.

I can't wait to re-try this with a fresher bottle :)

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Live review. The first of four consecutive Fantôme beers that I purchased for $13.99 one day at Rozi's in Lakewood and The Beer Engine just a short distance away in Lakewood. I have been wanting to drink these since I got them a few months ago and now is the time as I approach my 800th review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.4 oz. green bottle which was corked and capped but removing the cap resulted in no carbonation release, it was all held in by the cork. Lot # "b" May 2012 indicated on side of label, best before date. Poured into my silver rimmed Hennepin goblet, my only Saison glass.

A Visible sediment in the bottom of the glass, a ½ inch white fluffy head over slightly cloudy yellow brown body that glows in front of direct light. Second of two glasses that I got from the bottle was significantly darker yellow and was opaque, unable to see through it at all. In front of direct light the color showed through and obvious sediment was observed. 4.5

S That great saison smell of Belgian yeast, some sweet malt but mostly a wheat like soft grain smell that is a classic saison smell but a welcome and interesting one. 4.0

T This is an interesting taste in a beer that I do not recall having before. There is a much bigger citrus presence than I expected, especially after getting the aroma which presented as a classic soft saison. The citrus, kriek like tartness were a surprise and are the most prominent taste. Just behind the tart citrus are the tastes that I normally associate with the style, a light wheat grain like softness of a saison. Distant aftertaste of cornmeal, grains. 4.0

M Citrus tartness and "thick" nature of a saison increase the feel but this is a moderately big beer. 4.0

D You know, the citrus tastes confused me at first and I was not sure about the drinkability but I found myself going back for sip after sip until it was gone. The ABV is hidden very well and so this would be a dangerous beer to have a lot of around. Due to its cost (about $6 per glass) drinking too much of it will not likely be a problem.

Notes: Well there is my first Fantôme beer. I am looking forward to the remaining 3 that I have which will bring me to #800.

1.99/5  rDev -53.7%

Poured from a green corked bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A gentle pour produces a hazy apricot with a little frothy head. The head dies down quick and leaves a brew with a viscous appearance. Bubbles rise lazily from the laser-etched bottom for a little bit but then the brew is deadly calm.

As I open it and pour it a fruity alcohol hits my nose. I leave it for a while, warming up from fridge temp. Light fruits, lemon rind, a light oak and hint of funk. A nice undefinable spice character.

Taste is horrid, watered down lemon juice, bitter and pervading cork. No date or batch number on bottle. This is going down the drain.

Medium body with no carbonation.

At the price, I'll not be trying this again.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Out of a 750ml corked and capped bottle. Pours a hazy straw color that produces a tight white head that dissipates into a solid ring. The aroma is tart with green apple skins and lemon. Some light barnhouse funk rounds out the aroma. The taste is of tart lemon, dry white wine, hay crushed black pepper, and light horse blanket. Not much phenols from the yeast. The feel is light to moderate, with tingly carbonation, finishes tart and dry. Must say that it is very refreshing. Not exactly what I'd usually prefer with saisons but this is very well made. I typical like my saisons a touch sweeter with more yeasty flavor but this has great balance and is very drinkable. Its tart but not to the point of puckering. Nice to finally see this available in my area and with a cork in the bottle. All previous Fantome bottles have been corkless and close to flat.

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got this beer from my recent trade and I am very happy to try it, plus it was on my want list. I poured this beer into my Tripel Karmeliet Tulip Glass at 46 degrees.

Appearance: A very weak white two finger head that has very little retention. I poured the beer hard and still resulted in a weak head. The color of the beer is a medium amber color. The clarity of the beer is hazy and dense.

Nose: A seriously funky beer that is going to take some time to sort out. There is a rich fruity ester of lemons and oranges. There is a yeasty aroma with the hops. There is a sour note but really hard to tag the compounds and finally there is some alcohol essences.

Taste: Okay this beer has a strong sour note with esters of lemons and oranges. There is a yeasty note with some biscuit flavors. There is some bitterness to the beer but not very strong, they are floral with a hint of wood. The tail end of the beer is tarty with some alcohol warmth.

Overall: The mouth feel of the beer is carbonated, tarty/puckering, some alcohol warming. The body of the beer is light to medium and the finish is medium. This is, I think the first funky Saison beer that I have tried. This is one beer to experience. I like the tartness and funky flavor in the beer, which give this beer a fresh vibe. I was very disappointed in the head, if the head would have been nice this beer would almost be perfect.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mL green champagne bottle with no notches in the area on which to do so. It has a nice golden body with a few floaties, a good amount of carbonation, and a two finger cap of fluffy white froth that leaves loads of lacing/sheets on the glass. It becomes more opaque with subsequent pours and foam slowly builds in the bottle as I drink. In the nose there's a soft spiciness with some light hops, citrus?, tropical fruits?, an herbal, almost woody character, a big backing of yeast and some funky, almost sour notes. Spicy yeast and perfumy hops on the palate, with suggestions of orange and honey, pear, green apple, melon rind, mild alcohol, and some distracting cork flavors. Little, if any bitterness. The body begins light, with numbing carbonation that forces it to foam up a bit too much in the mouth, but when that calms down it's more smooth and dry, approaching silky, but never losing that carbonic edge. The quality of this beer snuck up on me - it was delicious from the start, but really good by the end. The only criticism I have is the pervasive cork character, but even this seems to blend well with the rest of the flavors. A highly-recommended saison.

4.54/5  rDev +5.6%

poured from a 750ml into a bruery snifter. enjoyed with my wife on july 11, 2010.

this is my favorite saison, so i'm going to attempt to be as objective as i can.

pours a dark gold with a frothy head that recedes quickly leaving no lace. swirling proves to be futile, as no lace will form on the glass at all. no yeast floaties at all.

smells so damn tasty! cloves, honeysuckle, sweet grass, are all present. the malts aren't quite as prevalent as i remember. this has a good solid yeast smell. not very much funk on the nose.

dry, but not tannic. very light bodied with mild spice and a pastural grass taste. there is very little funk taste this year, which is somewhat disappointing!

this year's white ghost is a light crisp brew that makes for perfect summer weather. in san diego on a hot day this is going to be perfect!

---

11/29/2009

Poured out of a big, messy 750 into an Allagash glass. It's surprising the label was even able to stay on, it looks like it should have just peeled off at the brewery it's so messy. Pop the cap and find a cork, which manages to contain my fear that maybe this had been oxidized or infected. Pours a golden color with a strange, slight brown hue. Upon further inspection, the brown is actually massive quantities of yeast. They're everywhere!! I don't mind some yeast in my brew, so I can't really complain about this at all!

Smells of peppery lemon and orange and other assorted fruits. There's a musty horse blanket to it (which my wife says makes anything sound like it will taste disgusting), but it's also very sweet at the same time. Very wonderful nose. Probably the best smelling Saison I've ever been lucky enough to enjoy!

Strong spiciness on the tongue with hints of herbs. There's a slight coriander there, which I find to be very mild, but noticeable. Yeast is very prevalent and the spiciness dances across the tongue and lingers there for some time. Truly delicious and an absolute victory in the world of Saisons!

This beer has a nice way of jumping up and letting you know you've been drinking! At 8% this isn't a session beer by any means, but by no means is it not drinkable.

A light bodied beer, but the spiciness creates an illusion that it's heavier than it actually is.

This is something that I look forward to aging as well as I feel this could definitely develop some really awesome characteristics a few years down the road!

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Lot B, Best before end: May 2012.

A capped and corked bottle, the first time I've seen that before. Served chilled in a goblet. It has a glowing golden yellow color with towering white head that just won't stop. A beautiful looking beer.

Aroma is evident as soon as I pop the cork. It has a distinctive sweet and spicy smell with a slight funky undertone. Some tropical fruit that I don't recall from other saisons.

Flavor is just awesome and has so many dimensions. Right off the bat, it has some light fruity sweetness that I recognize from the aroma. It's tart and citrusy almost like a key lime. Then it starts to bring on the funk. A nice musky sour taste that must come from wild yeasts. The spicy-dry finish adds yet another layer of complexity.

Mouthfeel is medium light in body and big in carbonation. The flavors are many yet very well balanced.

Overall an amazing beer worthy of distinction.

4.66/5  rDev +8.4%

A- Pours a deep golden with a thin white head that doesn't last, but can be swirled back into exsistence.

S- A barnyard funk that's noticeable but not so pronounced like a lambic. Sort of a lemon/peach hybrid with some ginger. Absolutely mouthwatering.

T- Slight lemon tartness that increases as it warms. Peach and kumquat, subtle spice, green apple. Just kind of raw and funky with light wheatiness and soft orange in the fade.

This Saison brings it, a must try. Not over the top but reminds you how good a Saison can be.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Came across this at a great new spot in Chicago, Bluebird. We were fortunate enough to get their last bottle.

Poured a gorgeous orange with a nice, frothy head that hung around despite a very moderate, controlled carbonation. A wonderful funky, cheesey odor hits the nose. The mouthfeel is so light, almost intangible due to low carbonation. An easy apricot flavor fills the mouth.

A wonderful farmhouse treat with a velvet touch.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

I got this brew in a trade with TheManiacalOne, Thanks Mark!

750ml corked bottle served in a tulip glass.

Cloudy golden yellow color with a beautiful white head that stayed until the glass was empty.
Light fruity aroma with some musty funk tossed in.
White grapes, pears and green apples are all in the taste, quite a nice blend of flavors.
Light and refreshingly crisp in the mouthfeel.
Easy to drink.

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

750ml in a recent trade with roopy40. Quite the hookup and my first Fantome. Best before date, as I interpret it is May of 2012.

A: Cloudy hazy gold in color with a dense, rocky white head, about half an inch worth, excellent retention, as it starts to recede there are a few bubbles of lacing here and there. This beer is almost completely opaque because of the cloudiness. I don't think it gets anymore saison than this.

S: Funky barnyard, smells a little tart, slightly skunked as well, pale malts, and pilsner malts really stand out in this one, fair amount of noble hop profile, slightly spicy, smells fairly earthy as well. Just a hint of booze as well. Really interesting, and not at all what I expected. Very nice.

T: Almost indescribable, slight citrusy sourness, think orange peel, with a fair amount of bitterness, slight hint of booze, and just a hint of funk. Leaves a sour taste behind, but it isn't overbearing, just funky. The transition from sour into bitter in this beer is remarkable, I can't really think of anything else that I've ever tried that can compare to it. Right when that puckering sourness is going to come on it fades into a bitterness reminiscent of a German Pilsner. Very interesting, and probably the most unique beer I've ever had. Spectacular.

M: Has a medium body, and mild carbonation, yet is light as air. The beer is incredibly dry, and leaves the mouth completely devoid of anything that resembled a liquid in the mouth. Hands down the best way to think of a saison in the mouth, dry. Excellent. I don't think anything can top this feeling in the mouth. Very phantom-esque in that it "disappears" from the mouth.

D: While I would like to say that this beer is a 5.0 on drinkability, it falls just a bit short. I couldn't see this being a session beer at all for both complexity, and abv. That being said, if I could ever have another opportunity to try this beer I would not hesitate. Phenomenal beer, unlike anything I've ever had. Highly recommended.

Thanks Paul! I might have to schedule another trade with you for more of this. Wow.

3.02/5  rDev -29.8%

Reviewed 8/21/2009 (Bottle BB ??/??, cork 086/477044):

Pours a very cloudy dark yellow, almost orange but not quite, color body. With a big creamy white head, lasting. Muted, musty aroma, fruity and sweet spicy. Maybe some plasticy. Soft taste, very muted, very light tasting. Some light fruitniness. Very light taste, drying. Almost watery. Thirst quenching, would be good on a hot day. Almost a plasticy taste. Just okay, not the greatest, not much flavor to speak of.

4.29/5  rDev -0.2%

Another funky beer from Fantome. This one pours with very little head. Has a hazy straw color.

The scents coming from this beer vary tremendously. Lots of funky sourness (yeast), a hay ride at a farm comes to mind and some fruitiness. Weird but it works.

Tastes like it smells, fruity, tart, funky and just plain different...but good. I think this is my third beer from this brewery and its probably mt favorite so far.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from 750 into a tulip. As it's filling the glass, it looks extremely unfiltered. Bits are swirling around like made as the head rises up the glass. Once the pour ends, a dirty golden cloud continues circling. Almost looks like the inside of a snow globe.

Fantastic nose here. Extremely earthy with bits of grass, flowers, twee bit of citrus, and some nice soil smell. There is some crazy funk going on here, that's what I love about farmhouse ales, the funk.

The taste runs similar to the nose i.e. a huge gamut of flavors. Each new flavor flows smoothly into the next. The main tastes are bread, citrus, flowers, and earth. The body is medium with absolute smoothness. Simply fantastic all around.

4.17/5  rDev -3%

A: Orange color with a small off-white head. Nice lacings.

S: Slightly edgy, yet smooth and round. Lots of fruit esters all around and strange but pleasant candy aromas. Hints of spices.

T: Very good. Wonderful fresh fruity flavors. The taste is mostly sweet but has a subtle tartness to it. Fruits of the forest, candy and hints of spices. The finish is mildly bitter and grassy.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, slightly dry in the finish.

D: A really unique beer, I dare to say. What a strange but lovely character. An oddball beer in an otherwise oddball style.

NOTE: I've had the opportunity to try a bottle of this that was cellared for about four years. It had not hold up well. It had lost quite a lot of the sweet fruity candy-like character and developed a more distinctly spicy and semi-funky character.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme