Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

Added by Thrasher on 07-24-2002

#690

Ratings: 1,977 |  Reviews: 831

1.33/5  rDev -68.9%

Like others before me, I was stricken with a bad bottle. Not sure why so many bad bottles are slipping through production. After the initial foaming head, and my excitement bubbling too, I poured and tasted... burnt rubber. I waited a few minutes to see if the taste would change and it did not. Shame as I read it was a great beer.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.27/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750ml capped and corked bottle into a glass

A: The cork comes out with a loud pop. Foam quickly started gushing out; I had to make a mad dash for the kitchen sink. Once that died down a bit, I was able to pour. Even the gentlest of pours yielded a HUGE head of billowy, white foam. I'm talking 4 inches of foam and no visible beer. After a series of alternating pours with letting the head die down, I was left with a hazy, amber-golden-straw color.

S: The aroma opens with the spicy scent of cloves, followed by some estery fruits. As it sits a little longer, a notable forest floor mustiness joins the profile. Crack black pepper. Light, pink bubblegum and a touch of bandaid round out the aroma. (The bandaid scent complement the rest of the aroma and is light enough that it does not come across as an off flavor.)

T: Much fruitier than the aroma would have you believe. Banana, bubblegum and a touch of clove on the attack. The clove builds in intensity, peaking in the mid-palate where it is joined by a light fig/raisin flavor. Ever so slightly tart, but with a good caramel malt body. Some earthy barnyard funk and wet hay contribute as well. The finish is light, estery alcohol and fruit.

M: Low carbonation and medium body with a light stickiness. On the drier side.

O: Excellent. I've been quasi-searching for this beer for the better part of two years now and I am glad to have stumbled upon it. Complex even for a saison, with a wide range of flavors, all of which interact nicely with each other. I do wish it was slightly more carbonated and wouldn't explode everywhere. Up there with Saison Dupont and Saison-Brett as one of my favorite saisons.

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml
$11.49
West Lakeview

This is from the batch that became available in the US in late '07. Fantome is written in black with "biere artisinale sur lie" written below. I pulled the cork and all was well. Setting the bottle down to grab the phone I was back in 30 seconds, that was long enough to let the gushing start. Lucky it was a slow gusher. As soon as I looked back foam was dripping down the neck. I caught it with minimal spillage but the yeasties, I was so careful with; got shot up into the beer in the process.

Even with the yeast explosion the body of this beer looks really great. The appearance is of a setting sun over a lake with that deep orange and golden that fills the sky. There's haze from the yeast that was released but it doesn't hurt the appearance. The head is big and billowy white, two fingers to start off and never fell to anything less then a finger. The glassful of quickly rising carbonation keeps the head in place and helps with the sticky sheet lacing down the glass. What a great looking beer!

The nose on this saison is phenomenal! The smell is that of summer in a glass. I have yet to encounter such a fruity farmhouse brew. The nose on here is all melon and reminds me of a big plate of sliced cantaloupe and the ripest honeydew. A sugary sweetness hides out in the background and is from natural sugars, like the sweetness in strawberries, which are big in the aroma as well. This beer smells so vividly like a fruit plate that I can actually taste it from the smell alone and my mouth waters uncontrollably. This is the best nose on a beer I've encountered in quite some time.

The melon is abundant in the flavor as well. As a matter of fact the flavor follows the nose very closely. Cantaloupe, honeydew, and strawberry abound in waves of flavor. This beer is so dizzyingly complex it's hard to even describe but I'll give it a whirl. Behind all the juicy fruitiness lies a hint of candied lemon peel. There's a good amount of spicing in here as well. I'm going out on a limb and saying Curacau and coriander were added which add a hint of Belgian wit into the mix. This beer is a wonder!

The mouthfeel is the only thing lacking on this beer and I suppose lacking isn't the correct word because it's still very good. The body is a on the lighter side of medium but has a bit of stick on the swallow that allows the flavors to linger. The carbonation is more smooth then airy like I expected but it works very well for the higher abv.

The drinkability is out of this world. A perfect beer for the warm weather of the summer but one I wouldn't hesitate to pick up at any time of the year. This could be paired with so many different light desserts and fruit/cheese plates and would create a match made in heaven.

I've sample Fantome's Saison in the past and while it was damn good this beer just goes above and beyond. This is my new favorite farmhouse ale. Fantome Saison has an incredible depth of flavor with a 100% refreshment factor. Delicious

4.1/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a Due South Brewing Co. snifter. No freshness date.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a full two finger head that retains decently as it makes its way down to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves a thick ring behind.

S- Initial skunk aroma soon leaves and what's left is an odd combination of barnyard funk, soapy yeast and smoke. Hopefully it's not as smoke-ridden as the other two Fantomes I've had because I'm decidedly not a fan of smoky saisons. A tinge of booze is detected.

T- OK, this tastes more like a saison than the other Fantomes I've had but there's still that underlying peat smoked malt flavor on top of the zesty fruitiness. After multiple sips, a balance is found between the two and the yeast kicks in a little funkiness to round things out. Spicy, bright and the alcohol is very well masked. Still, that smoke just continues to be pervasive and brings a medicinal note that I just don't enjoy.

M- Spritzy and moist with medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- So this was very good. Not a mind-blowing saison but certainly unique in that Fantome smoke sort of way, only this was just a touch of smoke unlike the Hiver and Brise-BonBons which were both veritable smoke bombs. I've decided that, if I ever see Fantome on-tap anywhere (I know, probably won't ever happen), I'll buy again but the bottles are just way too hit-or-miss.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme