Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

Added by Thrasher on 07-24-2002

#674

Ratings: 1,969 |  Reviews: 829
4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From 750 mL bottle to Mikasa tulip glass

A: Copper-tan in color, a gentle pourforms a frothy 2-inch head that leaves patchy lacing all over the glass.

S: Various ripe fruit meets musty, horse-blanket right at the front of the nose. Spicy; coriander and nutmeg along with white pepper. There's a distinct, leathery note underpinning the aromas, as a touch of malty sweets escapes from an otherwise unique and powerful bouquet.

T: The leathery note in the nose is right up front - the entire palate is anchored by a leathery, tobacco-like note. The flavors bounce all over the place, with notes of orange rind, coriander spice and a good dose of yeasty, barnyard funk. Tones of pepper and booze dry the palate toward the finish, which is surprisingly short and clean. Farmhouse ale indeed.

M: The medium body provides a nice canvas for the varying flavors - ample carbonation keeps the palate clean between sips.

This is one of my favorite brews right now. Not a beginners Saison - way too funky - but once you get your palate wrapped around the crazy profile, this quaffs easily and disappears fast.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

I would buy this again. I'm thankful for tasting nothing approaching Band-Aids™, as others have apparently had that exact unfortunate experience. I prefer generic adhesive bandages.

I usually am not capable of thinking through an ASTMO review, but Smurfy down there inspired me.

Looks like a Belgian White that has been bottle-conditioned and properly poured (swirl that Allagash White, people!). But this isn't a Belgian White/Wit. It's a Saison. That said, it's hazy, golden, and fun to look at if you hold it up to a setting August Cleveland sun. (Disclaimer: Drinking in Cleveland makes Cleveland look better, but so does a concussion.)

I agree with Smurfy. Grassy and wheaty in the nose. I cribbed his notes, but he ("he" is an assumption on my part) is dead-on. Subtle. Absolutely.

Hay and straw in the nose and on the tongue as well. Barnyard, but in a "summer on the farm" kinda way. Pleasant and enjoyable, with the nagging feeling of "at some point I'll have to leave this and go home, this makes me sad" kinda way.

Smoooth. Exactly what I wanted on a late-Sunday evening after a trip to the pool and playground with my 3-year-old. Maybe the whole bottle will make the eventual 53rd viewing of "Sleeping Beauty" more enjoyable.

This drank better and better, with increasing notes of yeast. I am assuming that this is bottle-conditioned, but I cannot check the web site to verify, as I do not speak French/German/Dutch/Belgish. Which, on a side-note, if in today's world of craft beer, your web site is not in English, I cannot imagine a more definitive example of how your beer is "artisanal". Don't change a thing.

Happily Drunk in Cleveland

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours hazy blond, well carbonated with a big fizzy head that leaves quickly.

Smell is grassy, wheat, subtle.

Taste is Belgium candy sugar and funk, hay, wheat, straw. It’s a lot like when you chew on spaghetti and it gets sweeter over time. Honey and a bit of hoppiness on the tail.

The easiest drinking I’ve ever come across. Fantastic.

4.61/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 750ml bottle into two Chimay goblets.

A - Deep, hazy gold pour with a finger's worth of creamy white foam.

S - Powerful right off the pour. A deeper breath brings hay and sour notes. A slight yeasty funk lingers in the background.

T - Straw with some bright lemon qualities. Slightly bitter (hops) but with a well rounded yeast flavor. Some alcohol warmth in the aftertaste.

M - Very light, refreshing carbonation.

A good session beer, but also great enough to have one to savor. A top saison.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

1.06/5  rDev -75.2%

a - cloudy

s - rubber with a bit of bandaid

t - Burnt rubber and bandaids. Horrible. Could not finish the bottle and the flavor partially ruined my dinner

m - I was gagging

o - Buyer be warned that you have a good chance of getting a bad bottle. This is the worst beverage I have ever had. I understand this was a fluke but I have read enough reviews that have said the same.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

1.21/5  rDev -71.7%

It had a lot of promise when poured - it was a beautiful golden color. However, it was an infected bottle - smelled and tasted like liquid band aids. I will gladly revise this review when/if I ever drink a new bottle. I won't be in a hurry, however, as it made me sick the next day.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%