Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by Thrasher on 07-24-2002

Reviews: 814 | Ratings: 1,899
3.97/5  rDev -7.7%

The beer poured into an oversize wine glass a bright gold, very hazy with a thick white head that receded quickly into the glass. The smell has bread dough, grapefruit, and a couple of layers of spice. The finish on the nose has more orange than grapefruit. The taste has a pleasant tanginess up front delivered in the form of the citrus. The spiciness I detected in the aroma blends into sweetness delivered by the malt. The yeast/bread dough character disperses all together in the flavor. Finish has a mild peppery bite that lingers and blends with the alcohol to generate a little heat. The mouth feel is light and slick and helps to produce a decent drinakbility.

3.97/5  rDev -7.7%

A: Bright straw color, which is very fitting for a rustic farmhouse. Cloudy. Thin head.
S: Very fruity, which citrus prominent: orange, pineapple. A bit sweet. citrus. canned pineapple. Some brett funk in the background.
T: Again, very fruity: pineapple, orange. Prominent tartness. pineapple juice. lemonade. Finishes dry, with slight bitterness from earthy hops.
M: Medium carbonation, which is a bit low for style (more preferred). Dry.
O: In short: sour, citrusy, dry. Super drinkable. One of my favorite Saisons (and in general).

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a clear golden yellow color with a nice frothy white 2 finger head.

S- Smell is sweet with tons of spices and funk. A little subtle but I can definitely tell where it is going.

T- Very fruity, with distinctly belgian spices, much hoppier than I was expecting.

M- Light, crisp, dry.

D- This is a fairly drinkable brew. I have never been a huge fan of the saison style but this is my favorite of the few that I have had. The hop presence really helps me enjoy this one.

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%

A: hazy golden in color. Thin head dissipates to almost none. Thin lacing.

S: spicy and slightly fruity. A little bit of skunky character.

T: light and fruity. I'm getting some skunk and funk in the taste. Nice dry finish with some nice yeasty middle.

M: good carbonation, nice mouthfeel overall, this is obviously a great saison and they know what they are doing.

D: shared with a couple friends but would certainly grab more if it was available locally.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Poured a murky, golden-orange with only a slight sudsy white bubbly head that quickly faded. Visible carbonation was very light.

S: Upon first opening there was a huge muskiness of sour oranges filling the nose before yielding to soft sweet tangerines and lemons.

T: The initial flavor was yeasty, and very acidic starting out with some lemon juice, tart oranges and a smooth musky sourness. There was a sharp pronounced acidic citrusy nature that soon faded to a light, dry herbal (basil) hopping and light peppery notes. There was some tart apples, herbal grassy hopping that was followed by a nice carbonation bite on the swallow.

M: The mouthful was very light and slick on the tongue warming up to a slighty creamy orange caramel malting.

D: gets better with every sip. A good solid saison.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Maybe an adolescence spent sucking on Warheads and chewing crybabies killed my ability to perceive sourness, but I didn't think this was sour in the least. First pour was clear dark gold with nice white fluff. The second pour was cloudy. It seems hard to keep the yeast out of the bottle, but you might as well feed me yeast as much as I like yeast in my beer so that's not a problem. The dominant flavor and aroma is the estery fruitiness. Ripe plums, melons and bubblegum make for a soft, thick front. The middle is a mild bitterness and ends with a lingering crisp malt. Reminds me of spring. It has some of the same aromas I remember from the back yard of my parents' house beside the horse pasture with the Jonquil flowers and pecan trees. The horse blanket is there in the tiniest degree but I'd say it's more like the inside of the horse shed where the hay and horse feed dominate the smell of tackle. Not an earth-shattering experience but I like this.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Classic Saison, really made me want to search out more of this type of beer. Refreshing but still intense and delivers a full bodied aroma. Yeastness on the head and finish, focused sours across the mid palate with some hay and barnyard flavors.

Pour gently as some of the bottles I've had have flecky sediment that can ruin the last glass.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 750 mL corked and capped bottle into tulip-shaped Duvel glass.

A: Pours a deeply clouded yellow color with almost no head despite visible carbonation and some soapy resin felt behind when the brew is swirled. The sediment causes color striations of dark yellow, orange, rose and tan.

S: Smells of a sweetly potent blend of lemongrass, apple, grapefruit banana and orange peel with a bit of coriander and light spices.

T: A rather tart saison. Loads of citrus flavor, with a bit of apple and minted bubblegum added to the exotic lemon, orange and tropical flavor. There are cider-like qualities to this saison which is interesting, but I'm on the fence about.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied, yet refreshing. The tartness makes you pucker a bit and the level of sediment ingredients causes some residual sticking to the palate.

D: It's definitely one to share with others and sip. The flavors become more complex and the alcohol esters less subtle as the saison warms. I would rate it enjoyable, but not one to session or drink en masse.

One of the most interesting saisons I can recall having. The about of sweet lemon tartness that dominated the palate was intriguing, albeit a bit distracting. The ghost on the bottle must serve as a warning to the mysteries which lurk within.

1 Pint 9.4 fl.oz bottle.

I want to start off by saying that the cork was nearly impossible to remove. No, it wasn't just "tough" to get out..and no, I didn't have a crappy corkscrew.. the cork was simply falling apart. I don't know if it was an old bottle or a bad cork or what, but it took me and a couple friends a good 10 minutes trying to get the bad boy out without it crumbling into the bottle. Luckily, we eventually succeeded without any remnents being dropped in (or any noticable pieces, anyways).

Appearance: Pours a velvety, cloudy yellow color.. looks like white wine, actually. Pure white head with decent carbonation as well. The head retention is better than i expected and leaves lacing in sheets on the glass.

Smell: Definite sweet, fruity aroma of grapes, apples, raisins, grapefruits, etc.. Quite complex.

Taste: Spicy & tart to say the least. Bittersweet, fruity esters are in full force. This saison definitely reminds me of a white wine. Not a bad thing, just very unique. I've only tried a handful of saisons and this is the best so far. Not something really to my exact tastes, but I'm sure this style will grow on me as I like the flavor and complexity.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium bodied. Dry finish.

Drinkability: Best thing about this brew (in my opinion) is that it's a great warmer. Between the large bottle, the bittersweet taste, and 8% ABV, this beer is definitely something to enjoy. I shared it with a friend but could have easily drank this myself (and almost wish I would have).

3.94/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a Bell's tulip. The pour is cloudy and hazy, gold in color, and sports a nice fluffy white head that leaves drifts of lacing. On the nose I get a faint lemon-like citrus note, lavender, and a definite brett-like funkiness.

The beer is light bodied and has a very soft feel in the mouth. The flavor is slightly fruity, dry but not sweet, and has lots of floral spiciness and a refreshing tartness as well. No trace of alcohol in this one. White crackers, lemons, and a stony dryness carry through the finish. At mid-palate there is a brett-induced signature band-aid flavor that I find just a bit unpleasant and there is also a slightly metallic, quinine-like, not unpleasant bitterness that lingers a bit as well. Easy to drink and very refreshing. Almost pilsner-like, but with much more complexity.

A nice beer, but that band-aid flavor kind of spoils it a bit for me. I don't have a lot of experience with this style and am currently exploring it more. I may or may not return to this one as I have already found others I like more.

3.94/5  rDev -8.4%

I liked this beer very much. A nice looking beer with a great big head. Smell is lightly funky, and a little unforgivably skunky. The flavor is spicy, and sharply bitter, with just a little funk. The beer has a mouth feel very similar to champagne. I've got a feeling from the aroma that I might have been drinking a mishandled bottle. Getting a better is on my long list of beer-y things to do.

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Carefully poured. Hazy orange sunburst color with a meringue looking head on it that does not fall. Tiny bubbles are rising up everywhere inside the glass.

Smell is a mixture of earth, white pepper, lemon acidity and some other estery qualities. Taste is crisp and light while the acidity dances around your tongue. Orange/Grapefruit pith, white grape juice, with a very light grassy hopping. Finishes dry with a subsequent bitterness at the end. Really reminds me of a dry Chardonnay with a belgian phenolic spin to it. The alcohol is high and somewhat noticeable as expected.

I actually prefer Hiver as far as their distribution goes in the US for their more "basic" saisons. The flavor is a little bolder and cohesive with the same qualities as the regular saison. It's funny though that Hiver pretty much collects dust on the shelves around here.

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

my first fantome...
appearance: cloudy dark orange yeast thick brew with huge head that fades at a moderate pace, some lacing. the final pour has huge yeast chunks in it.

smell: mild brett smell. mild funk.

taste: very fruity pear and plum like yeast dance on the tounge. frankly it's more of standard belgian pale ale than of the saison style to me because it isn't dry or crisp enough. once I got used to it, it was quite nice on it's own terms. a slight, very slight twing of brett is to me found in the extreme backround. i'm not getting much complexity here though, just the sort of standard BSPA taste, but then there is a twang at the end that just sort of set's it apart. the final pour is the best, with the yeast completely smoothing things out.

mouthfeel: if judging this to be saison, it's way to thick. the christmas saison I had from Dupont last week was 9.5 and felt extremly thinner. good for a BSPA.

drinkability: ditto from the mouthfeel. A quite nice beer, i would get again, but then it was 12.50 a bottle and there are many saison's just as good and better out there.

note: i liked this beer, but it didn't conform to my expectations of a "saison" which I suppose is the mold set by Dupont. it was much thicker than I thought it would be when I was in the mood for a very dry, crisp beer and this wasn't that. just a warning for others, this is more a spring than summer beer, dig?

Tasted on 4/18/07
Appearance: Cloudy, orange, yellow
Smell: spicy, floral, yeasty
Taste: spicy, no alcohol despite the 8.00% abv, yeasty, light, a bit sour
Mouthfeel: A bit heavy on the palate for the style, creamy
Drinkability: Very drinkable for a saison. Nice

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Hazy orange with a gushing white head. Aroma is complex mix of sugary lemon, yeast, and flowers. Or something like that. Maybe some bubblegum. I'm tasting some bitter herb/spice jive and some yeast. There is something harsh here that I'm not into very much, but I can at least objectively identify it as some appropriately earthy/ acidic quality that some people really go for. But then again maybe it's an apple jolly rancher thing attached to some bitter yeast. Aroma was the best thing for me here. I'm sensing the serious flavor quality here, but only objectively.

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured a medium-golden color, even a bit hazy. Became even more cloudy with the introduction of some bottom of the bottle yeasties! Had a minimal head and lacing. Verry fruity nose, with grapey, white wine characteristics. Medium bodied, and quite bubbly and spritzy on the tongue. Taste was again fruity, grapey, and very champagne-like. Enjoyable flavors, with a tart finish. Enjoyed as part of an impromptu sampling session with Artied2 and JohnnyP...with the the latter providing the samples! Thnx, Bro!

overall: 3.85
appearance: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 3.5 | drinkability: 4

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Was convinced by the guy at the liquor store to pick this one up. I'd thought about it for a while, and am happy I shelled out the $13 for the 750 mL bottle.

Poured gently into two pilsner glasses. Beautiful head that faded into fine lacing fairly quickly. The color was a cloudy yellow-gold that looked inviting.

I took a big whiff of this beer, and wow. The ratings on here (I gave it a 2) say "not impressed" but that is far from accurate. I *was* impressed, but more by its amazing funk! At first I thought I might have a bad bottle. Stale sweat and shoes punched me in the face. Then something else, a subtle undercurrent, managed to make me think there was something worthwhile to this beer.

The first taste proved quite sour, but as the beer warmed, I began picking up amazing things, just a rush of complexity. This beer is absolutely delicious. Too many spices and herbs for me to decipher the riddle. I did detect apples, and roquefort cheese upon exhaling through the nose. Throughout the glass it just got more amazing. I never tasted any of the sweat or shoes I smelled at first. I supposed over time, I could be convinced this beer smells good, much like a stinky soft cheese. But I think that would be merely Pavlovian, just a drooling response to how good the beer tastes.

The beer was very smooth to drink, not chewy at all, and I would love to have another one right after the first. The relatively high alcohol might have something to say about that eventually.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Stumbled onto this one randomlly, been wanting to try it so picked it up.

A - A hazy yellowish orange color with a huge head. Nice retention with a decent cap left, lots of sediment floating in the bottom.

S - Some funk, grassy smell, with some lemon zest and a bit of citrus. There are a lot of smells in this one.

T - I am not a huge fan of saisons, and while this is good, it is nothing I ever care if I have again. Bit of sweetness from fruit, quite grassy with a bit of barnyard funk.

M - Nice carbonation in heavier side of light bodied beer. Good for the style.

D - Had trouble doing the whole bottle, although it is a big bottle. This is a good saison but like with most, just not blown away.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours like champagne. Big fizzy white head. Reduces to a thin film in a minute. Murky golden orange in color. On the nose I get some bready tones, a blend of herbs and spices and yeast. Pretty nicely carbonated mouthfeel. Body is light. Taste is unlike other Saisons I've had. Very spicy and tart in the mouth, but not bad. It kind of grows on you. A little bit of an acidic tinge. I get a sour apple like taste. One that makes you pucker rather than wince. (And unlike the sour apple associated with a "green" beer.) I'm not sure what kind of spicing they use (if any), but maybe something like cinamon or bitter orange peel (curacao). Interesting beer, but not something I'm going to shell out out $6 a bottle for.

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Best Before End: "d November 2016"

Decanted from a 750mL green bottle into a huge German stein, left the yeast sediment in the bottle. Used the stein to give myself small pours into a proper glass.

Carbonation is moderate, similar to Saison Dupont, but with a less rocky less impressive head.

Almost nothing on the nose from my glass, from the empty bottle tangerine is noted.

Hops are not prominent. Tangerine and grapefruit esters are forward, alcohol is not tasted but is felt. Grapefruit bitterness but not from hops, and a more delicate tangerine taste dominates the finish. Tartness is moderate.

Overall, I prefer Saison Dupont for its delicate approach and pear-ester character. This one is more astringent due to the grapefruit flavour. Reminds me of Petrus Old Pale.

vintage 1999 thanks to brent

pour was a brownish reddish color with hints of orange

very musty with light funk and dark fruit

very musty up front again. tastes like it has been stored for some time, as it has been. the funk is fairly strong with a very strong cherry flavor in the finish. first few sips i was thrown off but then this became quite good.

moderate carbonation, slight dryness.

this was very interesting and hands down the oldest saison ive ever had. i would love to have more of this. the cherry flavor was amazing.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle from a recent batch purchased February and consumed April 15. Pours a clear gold color with thin head and lacing.

Nose of bready malts, grain, pepper and a floral/herbal character.

Taste is of fairly clean malts up front and some orange-citrus sweetness. Then it fades into bitter grapefruit and morphs into an ashy, astringent finish. I get some mild herbal flavors such as lavender and grass.

Mouthfeel is excellent with fine, creamy carb. Less carbonated than previous 'tomes.

Every bottle of Fantome I have tried seems a little different. This one is more straightforward. It has rewarding qualities yet parts are still challenging, especially with the ashy finish. As it got a little warmer and as I got towards the bottom of the bottle, I enjoyed it more and more.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

The long-running top-ranked beer in my favorite style. Recently supplanted by a HF one-off, but I'll probably never try that. So here we go! Best before end July 2013. Tasted 16 November 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a pale golden color. Not quite clear, like looking through frosted glass. A wide column of bubbles rising up. Two fingers of fluffy white head. Okay retention, not much lacing.

Smell is intriguing. Fruity and flowery. Quite flowery, as I continue to smell it. Lightly sweet, with a soft crispness. Funk is in the background, but rises up more with warmth. Just a bit of spice. I like it.

Taste is funkier and spicier, still with plenty of fruit. Balanced and interesting, but I want more from it. Drifts from sweet like a riesling to a dry bitter in the finish - a surprising transition.

Mouthfeel is top-notch. Medium-bodied, with a ballooning feeling that I always have a hard time describing - like it's expanding off my tongue to fill up my mouth. Tingly carbonation to start out, becomes more mellow as it goes.

Very nice beer. Not the best saison I've had, but definitely up there. In the balanced group for the style, with no element really standing out, though it's definitely a shade towards the fruity side.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Light gold color. Medium head. Aroma is barnyard and yeasty. Medium body. Yeasty and somewhat barnyard-ish. Slightly sour. Well balanced. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Yet another nice Biere de Garde from Fantome, one of the funkeyist brewers on the planet.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Have not had this in a while....pours into a chalice wiht a small 1cm head.

nose is very fruity, almost fig-like, yeasty, almost a hint of bitterness or sourness in it as well. Somewhat barnyard, reminds me of the saison series from the brewery that makes darbyeste, etc.

taste is quite bitter and slightly sour, almost too bitter. Barnyard taste, musty and leathery and grassy, makes me think of a barn, literally. .some complexity here is missing compared to his other beers, though as far as style, this is an excellent saison.

The more bitter elements are dulled quickly by the palate, and this beer becomes far too easy to drink at 8%.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme