Fantôme Saison | Brasserie Fantôme

Added by Thrasher on 07-24-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,956 |  Reviews: 826

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

I would buy this again. I'm thankful for tasting nothing approaching Band-Aids™, as others have apparently had that exact unfortunate experience. I prefer generic adhesive bandages.

I usually am not capable of thinking through an ASTMO review, but Smurfy down there inspired me.

Looks like a Belgian White that has been bottle-conditioned and properly poured (swirl that Allagash White, people!). But this isn't a Belgian White/Wit. It's a Saison. That said, it's hazy, golden, and fun to look at if you hold it up to a setting August Cleveland sun. (Disclaimer: Drinking in Cleveland makes Cleveland look better, but so does a concussion.)

I agree with Smurfy. Grassy and wheaty in the nose. I cribbed his notes, but he ("he" is an assumption on my part) is dead-on. Subtle. Absolutely.

Hay and straw in the nose and on the tongue as well. Barnyard, but in a "summer on the farm" kinda way. Pleasant and enjoyable, with the nagging feeling of "at some point I'll have to leave this and go home, this makes me sad" kinda way.

Smoooth. Exactly what I wanted on a late-Sunday evening after a trip to the pool and playground with my 3-year-old. Maybe the whole bottle will make the eventual 53rd viewing of "Sleeping Beauty" more enjoyable.

This drank better and better, with increasing notes of yeast. I am assuming that this is bottle-conditioned, but I cannot check the web site to verify, as I do not speak French/German/Dutch/Belgish. Which, on a side-note, if in today's world of craft beer, your web site is not in English, I cannot imagine a more definitive example of how your beer is "artisanal". Don't change a thing.

Happily Drunk in Cleveland

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours hazy blond, well carbonated with a big fizzy head that leaves quickly.

Smell is grassy, wheat, subtle.

Taste is Belgium candy sugar and funk, hay, wheat, straw. It’s a lot like when you chew on spaghetti and it gets sweeter over time. Honey and a bit of hoppiness on the tail.

The easiest drinking I’ve ever come across. Fantastic.

4.61/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 750ml bottle into two Chimay goblets.

A - Deep, hazy gold pour with a finger's worth of creamy white foam.

S - Powerful right off the pour. A deeper breath brings hay and sour notes. A slight yeasty funk lingers in the background.

T - Straw with some bright lemon qualities. Slightly bitter (hops) but with a well rounded yeast flavor. Some alcohol warmth in the aftertaste.

M - Very light, refreshing carbonation.

A good session beer, but also great enough to have one to savor. A top saison.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

1.06/5  rDev -75.3%

a - cloudy

s - rubber with a bit of bandaid

t - Burnt rubber and bandaids. Horrible. Could not finish the bottle and the flavor partially ruined my dinner

m - I was gagging

o - Buyer be warned that you have a good chance of getting a bad bottle. This is the worst beverage I have ever had. I understand this was a fluke but I have read enough reviews that have said the same.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

1.21/5  rDev -71.9%

It had a lot of promise when poured - it was a beautiful golden color. However, it was an infected bottle - smelled and tasted like liquid band aids. I will gladly revise this review when/if I ever drink a new bottle. I won't be in a hurry, however, as it made me sick the next day.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

There are millions of words I want to say about this beer, but sadly it has been years since the day I purchased and experienced this beer so my memory is not fresh enough to express the love and enjoyment I had when I drank it. The one thing I will never forget, aside from the knowledge that still to this day it is my favorite beer I have tried, is that is smelled and in a weird way, tasted like the best dank in the world. Maybe my particular bottle was unlike any other, but I had multiple people to confirm that it was in fact true. This is of course stretching the imagination because when experiencing any substance, to say it is the "best in the world" you are just imagining what that would be like. Whether that is your cup of tea or not, this beer will definitely be worth it's price and may never be dethroned as my favorite beer.

3.77/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a La Trappe goblet. Purchased in North Providence, RI.

A- Pours a cloudy honey-orange body with a generous gushing white fluffy head that sticks around for a while and leaves nice lacing. Some sediment.

S- Upon opening the bottle the first whiff I got was somewhat skunky, but that quickly disappeared once I poured it. Once poured I got ripe bananas, clove, belgian spice, some citrus, and a definite smokey aroma.

T- This is where this beer fell off a cliff. Upfront I get some fruity banana and grape notes, but this is quickly dominated by a sugary, honey-like, overly sweet taste. It's almost like it isn't mature enough and some sugar and unfermented malt is still present in the beer. There's a pretty nice smokey aftertaste, but I just can't get over the cloying sweetness of this beer

M- Overcarbonated. Nice light body though, and very little alcohol detected (I don't believe it's 8%)

Underimpressed with this beer, especially since it's ranked in the top 250. Maybe something was wrong with this batch? Either way not worth the money.

Fantôme Saison from Brasserie Fantôme