Fantôme Strange Ghost | Brasserie Fantôme

fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by rastaman on 09-11-2002

4.65/5  rDev +18.9%

a: dark amber, slightly ruby. finger and a halfs worth of tan head.

s: kind of reminds me of a funky smelling fruit roll up. sweet fruits are coming through along with some hop aromas.

t: tastes like it smells. cherries and strawberry flavors. sweetness of the beer is balanced by the tartness.

m: nice amount of carbonation, creamy mouthfeel overall.

o: after trying a few other Fantome beers I was excited to get my hands on this one. I've also never had a "bad" bottle of Fantome yet so I consider myself lucky. I don't know if I could consider this a saison but whatever it might be, it's damn good.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

4.37/5  rDev +11.8%

Binny's. 750mL for $16.99

Capped and corked 1pt 9.4oz bottle, Lot D, poured into chalice.

A: Hazy, muddy brown with a thick off-white head. Nice lace cascades down the sides of the chalice.

S: Smells rustic and of dark fruits, cherries, and spices.

T: Whoa! This one tosses the kitchen sink at us! Intricate doesn't even begin to describe this. A nice potpourri of spices up front: mint, rosemary, lavender, and other floral notes. A bit of cherry and other assorted dark fruit sweetness peeks through after that, along with a little bit of barnyard funk. Washes away with a nice bit of chocolate candy-sweetness and a kiss of...well...some kind of herb. I'm not an herb afficienado by any means, so I can't really tell what's on the ass-end of this, but it sure is pleasant.

M: Great! Fairly medium with a nice feeling from the carbonation. Washes down the flavors very nicely.

O: I can't begin to describe how interesting and complex this beer is. There is a lot of flavors going on. Even after taking many sips, I'm still discovering new things. Every bottle of Fantome is different, so what I'm tasting may not be what anyone else tastes, but hopefully it's something close ;)

Gotta knock points off for the rather uninviting color of this brew. It looks like the water left at the bottom of the kitchen sink after washing a bunch of dirty dishes.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Thanks to sweemzander for the hookup here. I'm not sure if this one ever makes it out this way. Poured in a pair of Fantome tulips and shared with TulipSnifter. Lot d, best before July, 2013 according to the label.

A: Garnet hued body, good clarity, minimal beige head with a decent glass ring. No lacing, some legs. Appears to be one of the more viscous Fantome's I've come across. 4/5

S: Vinegar, aceitic acid, vanilla, stone fruits... smells like a Flanders (looks like one too). 4/5

T: Vanilla and cherry from the nose are not lost here. A nice dose of bleu cheese funk up front is exciting. Vinegar is not as strong in the taste as the smell, lemon acid notes, woody tannins could be from the use of some wood in the brew process, but of course I have no idea since this is Fantome. Some secrets are best unrevealed. 4/5

M: Light on the palate with fizzy biting carbonation. Slightly sticky finish doesn't get in the way of enjoyment. 4/5

O: Looks like a Flanders, smells like a Flanders, tastes like a Flanders. I'm calling this a Flanders. Not as complex and deep as Rodenbach, but better than most American examples of the style I've come across. 4/5

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

I feared this beer, for no good reason. Shared at a uber-Fantome insanity whale epic tasting party with some other gents where we slayed Fantomes so quickly (something something something)...oh no I didn't.

Beer is dark, sort of brown, dingy like dishwater with a lazy wispy head of small bubbles, hazy, low retention, low lacing. Looks a little odd.

Beer smells like a Fantome, a little earthier, but mostly floral and yeast.

Beer does not taste like tomatoes, which is good. I held onto this beer for a long time because I feared drinking it alone, but it was sweet, floral, earthy with a nice finish. I enjoyed it, maybe because I held onto it for a few years, but this was quite good.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

nice dark brown with light ruby highlights that popped up around the outside and edges of the glass when held up. A nice sized tan head pops up on the top of the glass and sits there for a nice bit of time before settling back down and leaving a good amount of lacing around the sides.

Aroma is dominated by raisins and dark fruit early on. A really nice blend of light spices, roasted malts and almost a Smokey note start to permeate the air as it warms up and starts to come around full circle. Light notes of chocolate even find their way into the mix along with earthy malt notes and touches of figs. This carries over very well into the flavor as the first sips just spill dark fruits and spiced run notes all along the palate and a rich roasted malt note really starts to let itself be known. Really nicely done and a great blend of flavors. Especially as it starts to warm and fully opens up. Small hints of dark spices finish off the flavor as it rolls off the tongue and a nice and smooth

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to my brother for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a large, off-white head. The aroma is full of cherries with some spices and toffee mixed in. There is a little bit of pepper and some yeast mixed in.

The flavor has some lightly tart cherry notes in it, as well as some toffee and a little bit of funk like you get in some of the Fantome saisons. There is also some earthiness in the flavor.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt.

Sampled alongside twenty other Fantôme beers.

The beer appears a rusty, orange brown color. Mild haze with a small tan head after a careful pour. The aroma offers herbal, floral, funk, fruit, vegetable, and yeast scents. A lot of stimulus for the olfactory senses. The taste brings some apple notes, along with a light spice, though not with the same intensity as La Gillmoir or BBB Dark White. Candied apples and a fruity sweetness are balanced by a light funk. Medium to light bodied. Good feel. I would definitely have this again.

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle. Pours a dark copper color with a 1 finger light tan head. Very rich aroma wtih notes of grape, raspberry, and some florals. Nice, I like the start of some sourness followed by dark fruit sweetness. The head leaves lace as I drink this. Ever so slight bitterness in the end. This is a pretty tasty Fantome, probably one of my top.

3.67/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A- Pours a cloudy brown yellow color, nice lacing, light brown head, decent lacing.
S- There’s a candy mint/lime aroma to this beer, malt backbone, spice, slight floral notes.
T- Sweet candy flavor, slight apple taste, lime, slight sour notes, dark fruit notes are present as well.
M- Light/medium mouth feel, well carbonated, clean finish, with a spicy aftertaste.
O- Solid brew from Fantome, nothing special that would single this beer out above the rest that we tried tonight, but still enjoyable.

3.55/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a murky dark amber color with a half finger of off white head. Has decent retention and lacing.

Smell: A bit sweet from the malt, mildly funky. Somewhat fruity, hints of mellon.

Taste: More sour and bitter than the other Fantome offerings I have had. Herbal and funky, again, I'm picking up what reminds me of mellon and some strong citrus notes. The finish is bitter, perhaps a bit hoppy.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this one was pretty good, but didn't like it as much as the other Fantome beers I have tried. A bit too bitter in the finish.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

The beer was chilled and served in a pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is a hazy tea coloration. Nice bubbling carbonation. The head is a finger high biege coloration.

S- A very funky blend of berries, fennel / anise, juniper berries, a bit more herbaceous but I cannot pin it all down.

T- The flavor has a nice fruity tart cherry, mixed berries an odd turn grape vinegar ranging into rootbeer notes. Wierd but I like it. The flavors vary for the better the warmer the beer gets.

M- Medium bodied well carbonated beer. The alcohol is well incorporated.

O- This beer is yet another fine example of the funkyness I know and love from Fantome. Well done!

Fantôme Strange Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme