Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps | Brasserie Fantôme

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2002

1.25/5  rDev -69.1%

1.43/5  rDev -64.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Holy gusher batman. popped the cork and it literally hit the ceiling (10 foot), made a complete mess of the kitchen and filled the area with a skunk, lime and vinegar aroma. I was really looking forward to this and love Fantomes. This is my first experience with one that made a turn for the worse.

1.5/5  rDev -62.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma and taste are rubber, burnt, and something I can't pinpoint.

2.16/5  rDev -46.5%

750ml undated into Jackie O's large tulip. I think I got this through the Bringing Back Tradition BIF.

A- Hazy golden orange, lively carbonation, lots of tiny white bubbles that settle pretty quickly.

S- Weird nose on this one, zippy lemon and orange, like an orangina. A bit grassy too. Not really liking this.

T- Same flavor. Way too sweet. Lots of ripe fruit and a buttery sweetness. Lingering chalky bitterness. Tart and a bit sour.. very confusing. Nothing really comes together, the flavors are fighting for real estate on my tongue.

M- Too much going on, cloying sweetness, ultimately not working. Slick mouthfeel builds and creeps me out.

O- They can't all be winners. I've yet to meet a fantome that's better than the traditional saison... this one's not even close..

2.28/5  rDev -43.6%

An orange, amber beer with no head.

Smell is spicy and has a light candisugar smell, also a light tart smell.

Taste is light caramel, candisugar and tart. Bitterness is not present. Body is thin, and the beer is astringent and dry. I get some tastes which reminds me of green herbs, which give the beer a light vegetable taste. This beer is way out of balance and the tartness and dryness is too much for me. I drained the bottle!

2.63/5  rDev -34.9%

Hay. Slight aroma of old red apples, mixed nuts, pears, toasted malts and other light fruits. Lacking the usual Fantome magic. First that miserable Black Ghost, now this very poor offering. An underlying light fruitiness with notes of pear, apple, honey, caramel, orange and lemon and just a small hint of that Fantome yeast taste that I usually love. Most of his beers are so distinctive. This isn’t.

2.69/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Honey amber with some effervescence and the lightest of heads. Almost clear.

S: From a distance, unbearably skunky. Up close, sort of lagery and bland. Reminiscent of Heineken. Bleugh.

T: Not that good. Very Euro-lagery in character, from the light spritz to the grassy-weak hops to the grainy malt characteristic. I am incredibly disappointed, especially after other excellent Fantômes I've tasted.

M: Grainy-sweet...feels like it belongs in a 'forty.'

O: Perhaps I got a bad bottle, but this is just not very good. I would never recommend it, and I'm sceptical about paying the money to verify my terrible experience.

EDIT: I'm going to keep the above review (scores were 4.5A/2S/2.5T/2M/2O), but in an effort to improve what I was drinking, I sloshed around the last third of the beer bottle to agitate the yeast, and it definitely made the beer better. Here goes a same-night re-review.

A: Almost a finger of white, frothy head fades soon. The beer is a honey-dull brown, opaque.

S: Skunky, but with fresh flowers (jasmine?) and fruit.

T: Still grainy with skunky-poor hops, but the added yeast gives it a well needed dimension. Light spice and a fruity tartness puts up a losing battle against the overwhelming corn-like malt bill.

M: Same complaint as before...if malt liquor used Belgian yeast. ;)

O: Still not that great, but at least it's noticeably a saison.

2.77/5  rDev -31.4%

Smells like I just stuck my nose in a jar of dried oregano. One of the strangest beers I've had.

2.81/5  rDev -30.4%

Pours a light straw color. Modest, quickly receding head. Aroma is dominated by a light, lemony aroma. The flavor starts lemony and floral and tart. An aftertaste builds that's grainy and bitter. I really want to like this based on the aroma and initial flavor, but the aftertaste is a real turn off. I set this aside for a bit hoping it would be more to my taste after it warmed a bit, but while a bit more malt complexity did come out, the aftertaste was there same as ever. It's a shame because I really like the standard Fantome Saison, but the additions in this variation render it really unpalatable to me.

2.97/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

750ml bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a bright, hazy golden color with two fingers of white head. Retention and lacing are poor.

S: Very bright, fruity and citrusy. Fresh lemon zest mixes with apricots and light to moderate funk.

T: Moderate fruity acidity is present - similar to that of an apricot. Funk comes in after that, but it is a bit odd in nature. I get a ginger flavor as well. It's like a slightly funky fruity cocktail with ginger.

M: Moderate thickness with low carbonation.

O: A roller coaster of a beer. Great color, terrible head retention and lacing, great fruity aroma, odd flavor.

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps from Brasserie Fantôme