Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps | Brasserie Fantôme

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2002

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A new Fantome for me! Pours a cloudy hay like color with a frothy, dense bubbled head. The head died down to a thin lacing after about a minute. Aromas of lemon juice, pine sol, sourdough, and lovely saison yeast . Lovely bright acidic lemon-lime taste with lots of wheatlike bread characteristics. Clean dry finish with phenomenal refreshment. High drinkability and hides the 8% alc. very well. Pretty amazing stuff!

4.2/5  rDev +4%

The Fantom Printemps is a seasonal variety that varies by season. This category should be split by season. My review is for Spring 2010.

Pours a cloudy, orange that glows nicely. Citrus aromas, heavy tropical notes, with earthy character. Flavor is best described as a tropical jolly rancher, with juniper notes and a hint of sunscreen. A sour finish evoking grapefruit. Very refreshing, and tastes like Spring.

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Nice fluffy everlasting head. Plenty of lacing and lots of bubbles rushing up to feed the massive head. The been is a fairly clear bright yellow.

S- Yeasty and lemony. Its got some light spices thrown in there too. A green tea like aroma comes out from time to time. Mostly its sweetened lemon, like lemonade.

T- A lot like the nose would suggest. Lots and lots of sweetened lemon and yeast with a touch of some delicate spices.

M- Light and crisp. It gets sorta sticky after a while. It creates the same feeling you get when you eat too much hard candy. You can feel the sugar in this.

D- After a while it got a bit cloying and tough to finish. Its just so strong on lemonade, sugar and lemon juice. ABV or body was not a problem here at all though.

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a murky and creamy golden yellow. Frothy white head that dissipates quickly.

Bright and citrusy aroma. Orange peel, grapefruit, and flowers rounded with some sweet biscuity malts. A unique yeast aroma, unique even for Fantôme.

Crazy flowery taste. Lots of citrus, spices, lemon zest, and maybe chamomile. I really can't identify most of what is going on in this beer.The flavor is so complex but everything somehow works together.

I have recently started brewing beer which has helped me identify more flavors in beer, but I really have no idea what is really put into this beer.

The mouthfeel is smooth and silky. A good amount of carbonation brings out the citrus even more.

I find it hard to believe this is 8%. I immediately regret sharing this beer with a few others. I could have probably finished the 750ml bottle by myself and wanted more.

Another excellent and unique beer from Fantôme.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

750 ml bottle.

Hazy golden straw lemon body. Cottony white finger of tightly-packed head. Decent retention and lacing. Subdued nose of fruity wheat malt with notes of honey, lemon zest, and flowers.

Tangy wheat malt up front. Interesting mix of sweetish fruits (tropical, melon, and kiwi) and grassy, herbal, spices. Kiss of honey near the finish, along with soft wheat-y malts, a bit of strawberry, and some chamomile (?). Peppery, grassy, herbal bitter finish, with some lingering honeydew melon and a little must. Medium-full body with a smooth, creamy feel. Tasty and very spring-like.

3.51/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip...not sure of the age on this one...

Pours a nice glowing golden orange, hazy, with three fingers of soft white head. The head sticks around for a while before receding into a thin haze on top of the beer...

Having a hard time with the nose on this one...starts out similar to a hefe, bananas and clove, slight pepper spice. A slight tart aroma, lemony and overall citrusy starts to emerge. Then I am hit with some funk, wet, musty, barnyard aromas abound. Usually if I were to describe these aromas in a review, the beer would get at least a 4.5 grade for the smell, but for some reason all these aromas don't meld together well, it's just not working for me like it usually does in most other Fantome beers, or even from a Lambic or American Wild...

Hmmm, bready and malty with a nice citrus twist, like the nose, I think I am experiencing a somewhat bizarre hefe...the beer has a real creamy texture and little to no liveliness on the tongue, contrary to most reviews here, maybe the bottle is past its prime? This slick, creamy feel really affects the taste in my opinion, and not in a good way. I get some citrus, banana and spice, mixed with a touch of earthy funk but the taste kind of just sits on the tongue and becomes stale...

Medium bodied and although the pour produced a nice lively head, I really cannot detect much carbonation on the tongue. The beer just feels too creamy and silck, I really think a lively, bubbly feel would have really given this beer much better marks...

This particular Fantome was a bit of an enigma to me...the appearance was great and all the tiny little smells are usually right up my alley, but for some reason they didn't work. All the little nuances in the taste are also what I look for in a beer, yet again, it really didn't work for me. The mouthfeel was just too slick and adversely affected the flavor in my opinion. Weird, I pretty much love everything from Fantome and all the weird little things that together make a great beer. Printemps, for some reason, just really didn't work for me and it makes me sad. I have one more bottle that I will crack in the future in hopes that this particular bottle was just a bit off...

3.89/5  rDev -3.7%

A= The pour is a beautiful hazy light yellow color with a very very very small head on it that sort of makes a small appearence to make sure you know it's there and then falls to a ring around the glass. No lacing and no retention.

S= Lemony. I get a lot of lemon and a lot of black pepper smell to it. A decent amount of orange rind to it as well. Smells a lot like citrus peels.

T= Not as lemony as the smell but still lemony. Not too tart for a fantome beer but a little tart. Sort of a delicate beer I would say. A little pepper to it and a little funk. The dominate flavors are citrus peels like lemon and grapefruit with a little orange. The orange flavor is a good description. Sort of a low acid orange juice taste.

M= Almost uncarbonated. Really really really low carbonation and a thick feel

D= Good beer but a carbonation problem for sure. Will I buy it again? Prolly. Great taste and uniqueness that only fantome can deliver and worth seeking out just don't expect much carbonation.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

The first of three Fantome reviews:

Pours a creamy, neon orange with hearty layer of sediment on the glasses bottom and a sticky full finger's worth of head. The liquid itself is nicely carbonated and is a great visual representation of the spring season.

Bouquet includes heavy citrus aromas (think orange slices, lime) buoyed by fresh ground pepper and liberal Belgian spicing.

Taste is rind sour coupled with some yeastiness and a lemony sweetness. This bridges the gap between Saison and Gueuze, taking the muskiness of the former and implementing the refreshing funkiness of the latter. Triumphantly tasty!

Initially the body of the brew is quite thin on the taste buds, but it seems to build body with each sip. It also never forces its hand, making each particular element shine in its own right, as opposed to focusing on one flavor.

This beer is a refreshing, complex and tasty Spring treat. As with most of Fantome's beers, it reveals new elements with each sip, making it more of an event than a beverage. It's also perfect to share with friend and half of the fun is marveling at a genius beer with a good buddy.

3.82/5  rDev -5.4%

750ml corked and capped bottle served at 50 degrees in my ST tulip. No idea how to read the freshness dating, but I'm pretty sure it is a 2009 vintage. Poured a hazy orange-gold with a dense, rocky, two inch bright white cap. Lots of effervescing action beneath the cap and adhering to the bowl. Head eventually disperses into a fairly consistent skim with some swaths and spots of lacing revealed during the tasting. Really complex nose - some kind of light, sweet tropical fruit, some citrus, a hint of cork, I am really digging what I smell and can't wait to taste it, so here goes. Taste is not nearly as sweet as the nose would suggest - flavor profile is a bit flat. Earthy, grassy and a little tart with some citrus (maybe grapefruit) in the mix. Some of the light fruit comes out at the finish but it's definitely lacking the sweetness suggested by the nose. Mouthfeel is medium-light, with not what I would consider a viscosity, but it definitely coats the tongue without lingering for long. Carbonation is lively and pleasant with a semi-dry finish. This beer looks, feels and smells great, but flavor is not what I anticipated. Not my favorite from Fantôme, but also not the worst I've had. Not sure it merited the $15.99 pricetag though.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Want to thank merlin48 for sharing this one with me. Pours a hazy orange/amber color with a white head that falls slowly to a ring, decent lace.

Aroma is nice malt with fruit notes, funk, horse blanket and hay.

Taste is bready malts, nice funky notes, fruits, minty notes mingled with earthy and grassy hints. The earthy notes linger into the finish that is lightly dry.

Mouthfeel is light side of medium nice level of carbonation for the style.

Drinkability is great, very enjoyable these guys know how to brew a Saison.

3.77/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Cloudy dark yellow with no head. Minimal carbonation.

S: Apples, citrus, pears. Very fruity with some alcohol tone.

T: Sour fruits and hops, taste is very similar to smell here.

M: Medium sour body leaving a fruity after-taste.

D: Very easy drink for the summer :)

Photo of
4.58/5  rDev +13.4%

This is my first review on here. Any criticism/commentary is welcome. Here goes...

750ml Corked and capped bottle from spring 2009 poured into Bruery tulip.

I'm still amazed at how rapidly these Fantome beers change. I opened a bottle of this about 4 or 5 months ago and it was completely different.

A: Bottle opens with a muted pop. Cristal clear pale golden color with a big, creamy white head atop. Slowly recedes with excellent lacing. On second pour a little more haziness emerges. (NOTE: I intended to keep the dregs in the bottle, hence the crystal clear initial pour. The final pour left me with a seriously hazed beer)

S: Wet hay, barnyard, loads of lemony tartness and granny smith apple. A bit of mineral smell as well. I get some limestone. A little biscuitty sweetness in the background.

T: Tart green apple in the fore front with lemon zest and a very dry, chalky minerality. Definitely reminds me of a very acidic vintage champagne.

M: Extremely dry finish with medium carbonation. Slightly sticky. Light to medium palate weight. Wonderful dryness. Very refreshing.

D: A perfect saison for the warming summer months ahead. Tartness and dryness are very extreme, yet well balanced.

I've opened a number of Fantomes in my day and this has to be the most tart of all. The last bottle I opened a few months back had no tartness what so ever. Time has done wonders for this beer.

I love Fantome. The inconsistency is a bit beguiling. It's fascinating to have a beer that is different every time I open it.

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

A - pours cloudy gold, with a LOT of foam. That settles quickly, unless if spills down the sides of your glass

S citrusy or mild grapefruit acidity first, but a little bit of herb notes too - maybe rosemary??? Having a hard time pinpointing the smell

t - refreshing and tart like a good saison. Citrus. light herbs. I prefer this one over the Hiver. Right now, I feel like it has a dryer finish.

M- very bubly, easy to drink, tart. I think just about anyone might actually enjoy this.

D- all night if I could. Though the price, and large bottle size of 8% alcohol would catch up with me. I'd love to share this beer over a meal. Might go well with fish or even could cut through a richer meat and potatoes dish?

3.86/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into a Duvel tulip

A: Bright gold with some amber hues. Nice, rocky white head that never seems to die completely. Carbonation is on the high end. Lots of yeast floaties.

S: Skunkiness hits me at first which is quite offputting. This is followed by pleasant hay-like aromas. A hint of barnyard like smells like mustiness and some earthy aromas. The hops are strong. After you wade through the skunkiness, you get some very nice hay and grassy aromas with a hint of some spiciness.

T: A very flavorful beer. Unfortunately the green bottle allowed sun to spoil this a bit. The skunkiness is the first thing you get. As it warms up and sits awhile, the skunk seems to wander off, but his presence is still there in the background. Once I chew through the skunkiness, I get some more of those haylike and grassy flavors from the hops. The malts are subltly sweet with a nice underlying fruitiness. The fruitiness is on the citrus end of things, with a nice tartness. I was worried this beer would be too sour (not a big sour fan), but was pleasantly surprised. There is some faint spiciness likely from the yeast or the spices added. In the end, some barnyard character comes out with a touch of leather and a hint of sweat.

M: Perfect saison mouthfeel. Lively carbonation, light bodied and finishes dry as a bone. Picture perfect. Leaves you wanting more.

D: A nice saison. I hate to say it, but the green bottle really destroyed this one for me. The skunkiness killed a lot of the flavors and the aromas. I really hope I can find another bottle that isn't light stuck. I will definitely re-review it. Skunked or not, this was a really solid beer. Definitely worth a try for those saison lovers like myself.

4.52/5  rDev +11.9%

750 ml bottle, 8% abv. Pours a cloudy golden color with a rocky white head. Good head retention. A good amount of sediment floating about.

Funky, sour notes up front. A bit of lemon zest, and pepper. Yeasy and fruity notes. A bit herbal as well. Nice complexity.

Sour and lactic in the beginning. A bit of a lemon flavor. A faint pepper note. Just a shade leathery. Dries out near the finish.

Lighter body with a good amount of carbonation. Alcohol is hidden so very well. Delicious. Perfect for a sunny, warm spring day.

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

Always full of excitement when trying a new fantome. Nice pop when the cork comes free, beautiful dark gold pour. Thick, almost amber with a huge, creamy white head. Gentle swirling in the glass works to coax the head back up to a steady 1/2 inch. Very pleasing. Smells faintly of lemons and honeysuckle. Taste is a surprising mix of sweet and sour. Some light tartness, almost like green apples, and lots of honeysuckle, some sweet vanilla, then the sour apple comes back. Mouthfeel is super smooth. Perfect for big gulps. Drinkability is perfect. I would drink another one right away if it was not so unusual for me to find, and so expensive. Really, a phenomenal beer.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

The birds have returned and the Chinese magnolias are in full bloom - seems like Spring is upon us here in Los Angeles, so time to crack open a seasonal ale.

Bottle lists a BBD range of 2008 - 2013, none marked. The cork code is simply the phone number of the brewery, so no clue when this was actually bottled (no later than 2008 obviously).

Cork comes out with a loud pop, which is a small triumph for Fantome - I haven't had a flat bottle in a while, but it used to be every one I purchased was severely lacking in carbonation.

Poured into my Troubadour tulip.

Solidly opaque lemon-tinged icterine body. Active head hisses its way down to a half finger of creamy ivory suds. Good lacing and retention.

Lime, very faint penicillin, lactic yeast notes, and a light sourdough aroma as well. Restrained.

Lemon-lime, sour milk, mineral-rich champagne, pomegranate seeds, and lemon gum drops. Sweet, tart, with a slightly drying finish. I find myself searching fruitlessly for any sign of hops or phenols. Reminds me of a high-end fresh mimosa with maybe a dash of home-made bitters and a squeeze of slighly fermented lemon juice.

Creamy yet crisp. Just about medium-bodied, with a light effervesence.

If this is so much like lemonade, what is their Summer seasonal like (I'll have to open one of those next).

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip. 8% ABV, space for date notched but nothing is there.

Thanks to Bnieman for sharing this bottle with me!

A - Hazy yellow white and pretty carbonated. A modest pour put up a little less than two fingers of totally white head. Lower retention with fair lace on the glass.

S - Spicy white pepper with a solid lemon zest. Yeasty all over the place with a light malt backbone that holds it together nicely. Round and not overly spicy but it's got a light skunk to it. Faint, not bad.

T - Pretty level malts with a very well-balanced yeasty flavor. Lots of lemon citrus zest and spices but not overpowering. White pepper and perhaps coriander. Very well balanced and round. Light skunk comes up on a burp.

M - Massively carbonated, it's probably one of the highest levels of carbonation I've had in a beer. Medium-light bodied with a smooth texture and bubbly finish.

D - Probably too drinkable, I'm going through my glass pretty fast. The balance is impeccable. Totally awesome!

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%

750 mL bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy goldenrod with a firm white head, good retention though it dies a little bit on the second pour, good lace.

S: Smells like a mix of lemon-lime Gatorade and coriander, intriguing and different.

T: Great overt lime juice and green apple components right off the bat. Definite Meyer lemon undertones, moderate acidity in there lends a wealth of flavour along with yeasty bready character on the back end which adds more complexity.

M: I'm loving the acidity and crispness in this, perfect for the springtime, some creamy feel from the billowy head early on, but as you go through the bottle the almost citric-like acid comes to the forefront.

D: This is what I love about saison, you never know what to expect, and there's room for tons of experimentation. This would make a great food pairing beer, Provencal seafood comes to mind. I'm glad I finally ponied up the cash to try this beauty.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

While not up to Fantome's flagship, this is still a very good saison. It's a cloudy yellow beer with a nice head. The richness of the grain flavor is what strikes me most about this beer. It's a mix of sweet and dry with plenty of spice. There's a lemony sourness in the finish. Overall, it's just a bit middle of the road for Fantome. Perhaps, my expectations were just too high.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

A 750ml bottle to celebrate New Years with friends!

Pours yellow with no head at all, just the smallest white ring.

Smells of yeast, sharp sour apple, and some spices (ginger or the like for sure).

Tastes of lemon, tart funk, sour apple, and herbs. A bit of barnyard that is so pleasant. Perhaps the most accessible Fantome of all.

Has the mouthfeel of champagne and goes down oh so well. One of my favorite Fantomes, highly recommended to any Saison, Belgian, Whit, or Fruit beer lover.

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

75cl bottle. Hazy-nearing-opaque gold with a medium-large head that leaves plenty of lace. Very bretty and funky with lemons, tropical fruit, honey, leather, spices, and herbal hops. The flavor is actually pretty sour and funky with lots of lemon, though not tongue-scrapingly acidic like the Beatification we had later. Grainy malt provides a touch of sweetness, and some spices add to the complexity. Dry overall, but with a nice balance between everything, and a smooth integration of flavors. Medium-light in body with medium-high carbonation. Great beer, and it looks like it has developed a lot since the spring, with plenty of wild stuff in the bottle doing its thing. I could drink this all night.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours the hazy color of hay with a wispy white head and little lacing.

Smells of sour green apples and white grapes with some barnyardy brett.

Taste is in the same league. Nicely tart with nice green apple, peach and underripe grape tastes with some wonderful barnyard funk. This is the beer I'd give to people to show just how tasty "barnyard" can be.

This is so clean and refreshing with some very nice, light carbonation.

Drinkability is very high. Refreshing and delicious, I could drink this all day.

Wonderful beer and big ups to bulletrain76 for sharing--I think I liked this beer more than anyone else at the tasting.

4.02/5  rDev -0.5%

bottle courtesy of bulletrain76

S: vinous, tart, acidic, earthy

A: clear(at least my pour), straw yellow, minimal white head

T: Cidery, sligh sour tartness, vinous, earthiness, yeasty

M: Light, very dry finish

D: Good, thin body and dryness= very drinkable

Overall: great drinkability, above average saison.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Printemps is likely a good Saison but it's the spicy notes that define the beer.

At its base, the pilsner malts give enough confection sweetness to keep it from complete dryness. Kettle caramelization gives more depth to the malt depth and sweetness. Otherwise, the beer is biscuuity and estery in true Belgian fashion.

But those spices give bold notes of cayan pepper, chilies, paprika, and softer corriander and curraco. A dash of cummmin here and white pepper there and we have a phenolic rich spiciness to give rise to the fruity esters, yeasty flavor,and sweet malts.

I find the spiciness to be as interesting as they are distracting. Other than that, Printemps is an average Saison for Fantome- which means that it is still excellent.

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps from Brasserie Fantôme