Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps | Brasserie Fantôme

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2002

3.24/5  rDev -19.8%

3.24/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

When I heard they were offering flights including this at Trappist Provisions, I knew I had to pass by and try some Fantôme kookiness for the first time. This was very strange! Poured into a 6oz wine glass out of a 750ml bottle.

Pours a golden straw, classic saison color with a frothy, white head. Bubbles seem to come in dregs, but dissipate rather quickly. The head seems to eventually go away as the carbonation disappears, but some decent lacing remains on the glass. Not bad, but NOTHING that indicated me what I was about to get myself into.

Right, so right at the front, I'm immediately getting all kinds of off aromas and phenols that Fantôme is known for, and yet to be credited or disregarded for: grassiness, barnyard haystacks, funky earthiness, manure (not joking), sweat, dandelions, basil, rosemary, lightly tinged lemongrass. What the hell is this? Completely bizarre - cannot make out any notes resembling malts or grains for that matter, although if anything validates as "rustic" or "earthy" in the realm of beers, this takes it to the most literal form possible.

The flavor is ever MORE bizarre! There's immediately touch of the grassy haystack flavors (luckily no cow dung here) that immediately changes into a peat smoked malty haze. Charred bark melds with gritty grains and malts and immediately a charcoal-like aftertaste follows. There's a tinge of pepper, maybe some strange off saltiness, but the smoky flavor goes on for a while, and leaves bright dandelion and cilantro herbal flavors at the back of the tongue. A touch of bitterness, and maybe some grainy earthiness, but otherwise totally out of whack in a way that is fascinating yet not very pleasant. Alcohol is marvelously hidden. I shouldn't have let this sit around and get warmer though - by the end, the smokiness turns to a near pork rind astringency, and the grassiness gets so funky and herbal that I was on the verge of gagging without even aiming to.

This was utterly strange, and I admit full responsibility knowing what I was I was getting into here. It seems every review of this beer is different too, and while I don't think I got a bad bottle (indeed, the earthiness here is astonishing), the malts may be too over dried or smoked. This was an eye-opening beer indeed, but I do hope I have more uplifting rather than physically demanding beers from Fantôme in the future. As of this review, I have a saison in my cellar that I'd like to open soon. Here's hoping it turns out okay!

3.26/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Printemps is more of a tripel than anything else -- a tripel poured into a bottle that once held gueuze -- with loud banana esters and lemon on the palate and a hot, phenolic, almost tannic finish from the alcohol which you cannot taste but can certainly feel.

The yeast is overpowering in this brew and contends with whatever spicing Fantome intended for us to taste. The mouthfeel is very unpleasant through and through, though I do find some relief in a round, juicy midpalate that almost immediately dissapears.

This is a big beer, perhaps best suited for the fall -- despite its name. The flavors are quite dynamic, but I feel as though whatever is potentially good about this beer is slighted by the yeast. I'm almost reminded of Stone VE 040404 minus the disgusting lime. Undyingly herbal.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.26/5  rDev -19.3%

I was really excited to get my hands on another Fantome. I had a big smile on my face all the way up until I took my first sip. The pour looks great. A hazy orange with an endless head. The nose is pretty good too. There is lemon, white wine, and funk. The taste? Well it's not so great. As it warms up the pepper and sour red apple flavor gets much less offensive, but this never comes close to beginning to enter the realm of the other Fantomes I've had the pleasure of drinking.

3.26/5  rDev -19.3%

Reviewed on 5/16/08. Bottle. Pours a clear amber with no real head. Aroma is fairly weak, nothing of note (maybe I had it too cold??). Flavor strongly of pear, some raspberry, sour fruits. Mouthfeel is syrupy and thick. Just ok, nothing great.
6/4/7/3/15 (3.5/5)

3.28/5  rDev -18.8%

Bottle consumed at The Trappist in Oakland, CA. From notes.

The first whiff, oddly, smelled like a Mexican restaurant. Weird. Bubbles everywhere.

Golden amber pour. Musty, yeasty smell and taste. Old fruit. Refried beans, heh.

Will have to re-evaluate at some point.

3.29/5  rDev -18.6%

750mL bottle thanks to Bluebetty.

Golden orange, near clear on the first pour. Large fine-bubbled head drops lazily with sparse lacing to a raised ring and mini-island.

Lots of juicy fruits, mainly orange, apricot, apples, rockmelon and lemon sherbet. Hefty doses of clove and bubble gum, with moderate medicinal phenolics. Pretty mild hay funkiness and floral spice. Very appetising.

Starts with a Rauchbier-like smokiness (!) which gives way to a powerful citrus-pith sourness that largely obscures the sweet esters and phenols. Some lemony sweetness comes through eventually but doesn't stop me wondering who stole my candy..

Medium bodied with subtle carbonation. The pithy sourness dominates the mouthfeel and makes for a very dry and long-lasting finish.

Meh. Loved the nose, but don't know what happened to the flavour profile. Not a fan of the way the smokiness and domineering tartness fairly throttles much of the best aspects of the aroma.

3.37/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.38/5  rDev -16.3%

This was my first saison and I was surprised. The head was very nice. Large, frothy, white and lasting. The body was a murky yellow-orange with cloudy particles floating around. The aroma was powerfully spicy. The hops were nicely balanced in their power, with a hint of pine. The yeast was sweet, earthy and musty. The alcohol flavor is light, and the flavor is powerful. Full of spicy clove and pepper, and a little smokey. The body was full with a sticky thick texture. The carbonation was lively, and overall the brew had a bitter finish. The flavor had moderate sweetness, lightly acidic, and heavy bitterness. Overall a smokey, hoppy, spicy, lively brew.

A: Quite cloudy, golden in color. One finger white head

S: Musty, funky, yeasty. Lemon rinds, honey sweetness.

T: Spiced lemon or orange juice, accents of peaches and pears. Dash of peppercorn, almost salty as well. Too much weight mid sip; should be thinner, more tart, more carbonated. Lingering lemon-ish almost pucker in the finish. Sort of odd, a difficult beer to put my finger on.

O: A good saison, held back by a slogging mouthfeel and some overly contrasted flavors. A bit tiring on the palate as the glass warms.

3.44/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale saffron-tinged champagne colour. Large fluffy head, a bit light-looking. Lace likewise doesn't cling. Nice-looking but such a big head should do more, otherwise it's just cosmetic.

Loads of free radicals coming off the head. Resinous and earthy. Somewhat metallic. Hint of fruit, but it's all quite dour bitterness. Needs more dimensions.

Taste is smokey, now hmmm... didn't expect that. Meaty, smouldery, almost peaty. It's an earthy smoke with touches of sweetness. Back gets an odd champagney zest that sits ill with the front, but really it's the front that's incongruous. Just settles down into earthy bitterness. An odd package, but a decent smoky palate.

Foamy, decent body. Very clipped, dry back. OK.

Really don't know what to make of this. No smoke on the nose, but virtually nothing but smoke on the palate. As a result doesn't fit together in a symbiotic way for me. Certainly an odd saison.

3.46/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden with white head that lingers well in my outlined fantome tulip. Good bit of lacing along sides of glass.

Smell is tangy acidic lemon-lime with a good bit of funk.

Taste is bready with smokey off flavor and then the dreaded band-aide nastiness in the aftertaste. Not horrible but really not that good.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with average carbonation.

Overall this was a disappointment. This is my least favorite of the Fantome brews I have had.

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I really like Fantome, but this is not one of my favorites. It is a murky copper in color. The aroma is spicy and hoppy. The medium body has floral and pine/spruce tastes. It finishes peppery. It is good, but I guess I just set too high of expectations for it.

3.49/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Pretty sure this bottle is from last printemps. But it's the best I can do. Tasted 31 March 2013.

Pours a mostly clear orangey gold. One finger of white head, okay retention, not much lacing. A bunch of big bubbles sitting on the surface after it subsides.

Smell begins with a blast of white grapes. Powerful chardonnay, followed by a light floral note, and underlain by pale malts. It's different, without much of the other elements I expect from a saison. No funk, only the tiniest hint of spice.

Taste is similarly dominated by dry white wine. That's almost all I taste, and it's an oaky chardonnay-like dryness. It's like a good chardonnay, but sadly, I don't like chardonnay, and I really wish this tasted more like a beer. Where exactly is the saison character in this? If I dig, I can find about 20% that feels like saison, in the robust pale malts and the sizzly spicing. But the rest says white wine. Weird.

Feel is quite light-bodied, evaporative on the back end. Medium-low carbonation, which is just fine. The lightness is really pleasant, making it feel delicate and refreshing. The high point of the beer.

There are some things I really like about this beer, and I'm actually enjoying drinking it, mostly. But it reminds me way more of a dry white wine than a beer, and that's not what I'm looking for.

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Printemps from Brasserie Fantôme