Fantôme Magic Ghost | Brasserie Fantôme

Brasserie Fantôme
fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by womencantsail on 04-11-2011

First of all, I love every offering I've had from Fantome....now to review...
A: key lime body with a pale lime green head. Looks like key lime pie!
S: funky, citrus, hay, slightly earthy, sour apple
T: literally tastes like sour green apple to me! has a funky aftertaste that is delectable and refreshing. Very crisp.
M: champagne like when posted initially. Consistent tiny little bubbles that tickle the tip of your tongue
O: very tasty and very dangerous because the alcohol is hidden so well. I love fantome and definitely recommend this if you want to try a saison!

4.85/5  rDev +18.6%

Another great saison from my firend Danny. Really cool green color. Head pretty thin though, lacks retention. Nose has subtle green tea with sour apples, grapes barnyard funk and some nice light candy malts. Taste has a nice sourness to it, near perfect example of the style. Clean, crisp body very well carbonated. Nice refreshing finish. These really are the best saisons in the world. And fairly priced at $15.

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Bought a e 0,75 l bottle of this from the Map Room in Chicago, IL for $30 (negotiated the price down from $35! Great bartenders here @ the Map Room!). Poured from the green bottle with a Magician scaring Ghosts off with his wand into a 16oz Tulip Glass. Has Lot n: d, A consommer de preference avant fin: J (January), and Best before end: 13 (2013) on the front label. Fantômes don't always have their best by or lot letters stamped/marked on their bottles but cool seeing it here!

Aroma- Very strong barnyard aroma from the beginning with a slight peppery background. Light sour and tart aroma hangs on here and doesn't distract from anything else going on in here. Low hop and medium spicy aromas follow everything. Very complexed aroma!

Appearance- Pours a 3 finger head that has tremendous retention. What comes next is the craziest site I've ever seen with a beer! Pours an AWESOME Hulk Green colored body that is very hazy and with this turns the body color to a more of an olive color. Leaves tons of lacing on the glass afterwards. This could not be better! The color AND everything else in the appearance is great!

Flavor- This beer can be summed up with two words; Kiwi & Tart. The drink starts out with a nice sour and yet complexed flavor lasting for the entire time. Not too overpowering either. Then the fruitiness comes in with a very awesome and distinct Kiwi flavor! Almost looks from the appearance that kiwis were brewed into this. A very light/moderate bitterness then finish off the brew. Wonderful!

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, High Carbonation, good sourness but then finishes on the dry side.

Overall Impression- Wow! One of my TOP Saisons and my favorite Fantôme now. A great and complexed brew that had a fascinating kiwi taste. The sourness was very appropriate and not overpowering. I would love to get my hands on another bottle of this if I see it out but am not looking to spend over $30 again... Was definitely worth it this time! Go for it if you see it!

4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Body is a hazy, light pastel green. The only green beer I've ever seen without adding woodruff syrup or green food coloring. A perfect pastel green color for Easter but it would work well for St. Patrick's Day too. Head poured to a half inch lasts quite awhile, and is regenerated with swirling, leaving lots of little clouds of lacing.

Smells of green tea, malt, candi sweetness (as in a lollipop), and spices--probably coriander and ginger.

Tastes delightful. On the front palate, malt and green tea--which go together delightfully--midpalate is delightfully lemony acidic, with a little backdrop of malt sugar, back palate is a little dry and just slightly tannic from the green tea with a bit of a spice burn on the tongue. Just a delightful taste experience. Yet this definitely has the saison profile, especially the Fantôme yeast.

Body is medium as is the carbonation, and produces a nice substantial creamy mouthfeel as a saison should.

Overall, it is the weirdest saison I've ever set eyes or mouth to, but another splendid contribution from Fantôme. How many ways can Fantôme spell saison? This is a very good beer to pair with food. I had this with a dinner of grilled steelhead trout and gingered carrots, and I was very pleased how it all went together. The acid cuts through the fish fats while the ginger blended well with the sweet gingered carrots, held in balance by the lemon acidity of the beer. I wouldn't drink a whole 750 ml bottle of this all by itself without some food pairing, but you could twist my arm.

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

I picked up two bottles of Fantome Magic Ghost. Big mistake...I should have picked up as many as I could! I'm not reviewing many beers here, only the really great and perhaps the really bad.

This one may well be my favorite Fantome. My favorite,....not the best since I don't even know what that means when talking about beer...it is, however, my favorite.

I also suspect it's my favorite since it's relatively new, I'm told, and just full of fresh, full, floral, assertive and wonderful character in all respects.

Color is the only crazy thing about it. Green. Yes, it's made with green tea. And, it's green. I heard that food color was added but I don't know if it's true or urban legend at this point. Suffice it to say it's green. No head.

Nose is pure floral, elegant and fruity green tea and sweet pepper/tea elegance. The fruit tones and sweet floral quality are just really inviting and full of perfume.

Mouthfeel is medium but fresh and with light carbonation. The mouthfeel has one of my favorite characteristics in that it feels "bright" and fresh in the mouth. It is uplifting and exciting in the mouth, almost inviting one to gulp.

Flavors profile is sensational. I've only just learned that the proper way to make green tea is to use only warm water - not hot water. I'm told that in Japan those in the know actually use water that is only as hot as body temperature. In that way, one gets the fresh, elegant, sweet, floral and perfumy character of green tea. I've learned that the tannic bitterness characteristic in some green tea is that the tea is actually burned by the hot water.

Well, Fantome makes great green tea! Clearly. This beer demonstrates a flavor profile of "properly brewed" green tea. The green tea flavors are just bursting and fresh. There is a floral, perfume sweet green tea character all around with none of the bitter or tannic character.

Finish is likewise elegant, fruity albeit short.

A complete winner. One of the few brews where I'm really regretting not getting more bottles when I had the chance. One left and it will be consumed soon, fresh, at an upcoming beer tasting. Aging will only take this wonderful fresh, sweet, elegant perfume out of the beer. I'll not age this one. I'll drink as many bottles as I can find.

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%