Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fantôme Magic Ghost | Brasserie Fantôme

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by womencantsail on 04-11-2011

1.34/5  rDev -67.3%

750ml bottle, split

Ok. I'm sorry. I just do NOT get how this beer has ANY positive feedback. Truly one of the most terrible creations I have ever seen - a drain pour if there ever was one. let's count the ways...

1) It's green. It's f*cking green.
2) Incredibly smoky - a cross between how you smell after sitting by a campfire all night and how I imagine a yard full of burning tires would smell
3) It looks like toxic waste, but tastes worse
4) Did i mention burning rubber?

You people like this? Complete and utter undrinkable sh!t. For shame, Fantome. For shame.

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

2.84/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a pale green color. No head or lace is left behind. Just a strange pale, green. Looks like Kool Aid.
S: Cheesy funk up front. Light tart green apple skins and pithy lemon rind. Spearmint and minty aromas? Maybe the color is playing tricks with my head. Herbal and tea like in the finish.
T: Up front is the same cheesy funk that is in the nose. Very tannin like. Apple skins for sure. Lemony and pithy rind. Finishes very dry, and herbal like.
M/D: A light body with almost no carbonation. Thin, watery, and very dry. Interesting to try as a sample, but no way I want to drink more than a few ounces.

Fantome weirdness at its best. If you like that sort of thing. I am glad that I have been able to try this in several different settings, and never had to pay for it. Just not for me.

2.87/5  rDev -30%

Yeah, I'm gonna give this a 5 rating because of how cool/toxic the color of this beer is. It is, without a doubt, the most unique looking beer I have ever seen. Radiator cooler antifreeze green. I probably wouldn't drink this if I didn't see it poured directly from the bottle uncapped in front of me. Nice whiteish head on the top, close to 1" in height.

Aroma mostly lemon, green apple and a bunch of other fruit and unidentified spice and pepper additions that amount to a weird aroma, but not offputting.

Taste, there is something weird in here that IS offputting. Very unique, I really can't describe it other than to say its bitter with a weird spice accoutrement. The appearance constantly has me wondering if this is containing something weird, like carpet, canned vegetables and tea additions. Keep picking up clove and coriander in the mouthfeel. Plenty carbonated.

Glad I got to try it at triple rock's sourfestival, because spending 15-20$ on something like this and having to drink a 750 of it would not suit me well.

2.95/5  rDev -28%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Its probably widely variant, but I bet people either love or hate this beer; starting right with the appearance, the antifreeze green I thought was dope as hell, but you know how some of them mark ass bustaz be all like "oohh that's nasty" or some shit like they ain't never fucked with some hardcore shit from the streets.

Aroma is a trip. Its like a bunch of belgian saison spice racks, lemon, apple, pepper and copper. Its unusual, but not as much as that lime green look it is rockin'.

Taste, not a fan, bitter, some real different spice rack phenols going on. Mouthfeel is equally disdainful because the taste isn't all that, so how could the mouthfeel. . .

3.01/5  rDev -26.6%

Color: A murky neon green, like toxic waste or nickelodeon slime. Also reminded me of seaweed and I half expected a swamp monster to slowly emerge from it. Its unusual appearance was quite intriguing.

Head: A bright white short layering of head that for a few moments, morphed the appearance into green jello- with whipped topping.

Aroma: Laughter ensues, gasps and twisted faces as cat nip and skunk attack your senses. Nearly enough to stop you from trying the damn thing.

Texture: Actually quite nice, full bodied, rich and creamy, carbonation is very balanced.

Flavor & Balance: I have to give the brewers kudos for complexity on this one. Initial flavor is powerful-tart, reminiscent of rhubarb and sour apples, there is slight chemical residue that makes you wonder if it really is toxic waste. Aftertaste is grassy, like alfalfa, and stems of dandelions. When the sourness subsides you can detect remnants of green tea and a more sweetened green apple.

Sustained Taste: The aftertaste subdues it to the point that you want to take another drink, and lingers in your mouth for a very long time.

3.08/5  rDev -24.9%

First thanks to Mtardiff for providing this in trade. Thanks. Glad I have a witness to this review as my experience with this beer seems to be very different than all others listed. Jctribe25 (Patrick) and I shared this bottle.

First, this beer is NOT green, at all. Pale Amber in color or perhaps a hazy dark straw color.

Aroma is very fruity and also thick with sweetness.

Flavor is thick with sweetness just like the aroma, if not even sweeter. Candied sugar takes the lead on top of a pale malt undertone. Drinks like a Belgian Pale Ale. Would never consider this to be a saison.

Soft and rounded but feels thicker due to sweetness.

Really not what I expected here.

3.18/5  rDev -22.4%

Lot D, best before January 2013.

A: Pours a cloudy green with a lot of floaties. Big soda-like fizzy tan head that disappears fast. Zero lacing and zero retention. Possibly the ugliest beer I have ever seen but I'm leaving room for future contenders.

S: Kind of a funky, dusty aroma. Cloves, citrus and melon. Floral.

T: Hmph. A little citrus and flowers up front. Kinda weird and funky in the middle, hard to ascertain - kinda tart almost. Pretty sweet throughout which is odd for a saison. Spicy, heavy on the cloves and a little bit of white pepper too in the finish.

M: Medium bodied, low carbonation.

O: Odd beer and not in a good way, much like other Fantomes I've had. I really don't understand why people buy this beer.

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

3.26/5  rDev -20.5%

BBD Feb 2014, 0.75 litres: uncapped and cork removed on 24th Feb 2014 at the second ever Shrewsbury bottle share (four of us on this occasion). This was one of my gifts to the group.

It's flourescent green and my senses wouldn't allow it to smell or taste of beer, my eye's deciding it was a green tea (which I believe it has infused somewhere during the brewing process) and Lincoln Pea Soup mixture with extra food colouring added.

Different and a real talking point: where does the 8% ABV go for instance and why does it look like thin Pea Soup?

I enjoyed it but can't give you a proper review or tasting notes because it's just 'strange' and beyond my realms of reasoning and writing. My scores don't make sense either!

3.26/5  rDev -20.5%

From 11/05/11 notes. Bottle shared by someone at the mega-Fantome tasting. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a yellow-green color with light sediment, moderate carbonation evident, and one inch of white head. Looks odd and off, though not as neon green as some bottles.

s - Smells of fruity malts, spices, light yeast, and light earthy notes. Nice fruit, but not too strong.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, spices, yeast, and vegetables. A bit odd; a step down from the nose.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall not my favorite at the tasting, but good. Appearance is very odd looking, but luckily it smells and tastes a ton better. Would have it again, but wouldn't be my go-to Fantome beer.

Fantôme Magic Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme