Love Belgian Beer?

4.1

Reviews: 128 | Ratings: 318
1.34/5  rDev -67.3%

750ml bottle, split

Ok. I'm sorry. I just do NOT get how this beer has ANY positive feedback. Truly one of the most terrible creations I have ever seen - a drain pour if there ever was one. let's count the ways...

1) It's green. It's f*cking green.
2) Incredibly smoky - a cross between how you smell after sitting by a campfire all night and how I imagine a yard full of burning tires would smell
3) It looks like toxic waste, but tastes worse
4) Did i mention burning rubber?

You people like this? Complete and utter undrinkable sh!t. For shame, Fantome. For shame.

2.84/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a pale green color. No head or lace is left behind. Just a strange pale, green. Looks like Kool Aid.
S: Cheesy funk up front. Light tart green apple skins and pithy lemon rind. Spearmint and minty aromas? Maybe the color is playing tricks with my head. Herbal and tea like in the finish.
T: Up front is the same cheesy funk that is in the nose. Very tannin like. Apple skins for sure. Lemony and pithy rind. Finishes very dry, and herbal like.
M/D: A light body with almost no carbonation. Thin, watery, and very dry. Interesting to try as a sample, but no way I want to drink more than a few ounces.

Fantome weirdness at its best. If you like that sort of thing. I am glad that I have been able to try this in several different settings, and never had to pay for it. Just not for me.

2.87/5  rDev -30%

Yeah, I'm gonna give this a 5 rating because of how cool/toxic the color of this beer is. It is, without a doubt, the most unique looking beer I have ever seen. Radiator cooler antifreeze green. I probably wouldn't drink this if I didn't see it poured directly from the bottle uncapped in front of me. Nice whiteish head on the top, close to 1" in height.

Aroma mostly lemon, green apple and a bunch of other fruit and unidentified spice and pepper additions that amount to a weird aroma, but not offputting.

Taste, there is something weird in here that IS offputting. Very unique, I really can't describe it other than to say its bitter with a weird spice accoutrement. The appearance constantly has me wondering if this is containing something weird, like carpet, canned vegetables and tea additions. Keep picking up clove and coriander in the mouthfeel. Plenty carbonated.

Glad I got to try it at triple rock's sourfestival, because spending 15-20$ on something like this and having to drink a 750 of it would not suit me well.

2.95/5  rDev -28%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Its probably widely variant, but I bet people either love or hate this beer; starting right with the appearance, the antifreeze green I thought was dope as hell, but you know how some of them mark ass bustaz be all like "oohh that's nasty" or some shit like they ain't never fucked with some hardcore shit from the streets.

Aroma is a trip. Its like a bunch of belgian saison spice racks, lemon, apple, pepper and copper. Its unusual, but not as much as that lime green look it is rockin'.

Taste, not a fan, bitter, some real different spice rack phenols going on. Mouthfeel is equally disdainful because the taste isn't all that, so how could the mouthfeel. . .

3.01/5  rDev -26.6%

Color: A murky neon green, like toxic waste or nickelodeon slime. Also reminded me of seaweed and I half expected a swamp monster to slowly emerge from it. Its unusual appearance was quite intriguing.

Head: A bright white short layering of head that for a few moments, morphed the appearance into green jello- with whipped topping.

Aroma: Laughter ensues, gasps and twisted faces as cat nip and skunk attack your senses. Nearly enough to stop you from trying the damn thing.

Texture: Actually quite nice, full bodied, rich and creamy, carbonation is very balanced.

Flavor & Balance: I have to give the brewers kudos for complexity on this one. Initial flavor is powerful-tart, reminiscent of rhubarb and sour apples, there is slight chemical residue that makes you wonder if it really is toxic waste. Aftertaste is grassy, like alfalfa, and stems of dandelions. When the sourness subsides you can detect remnants of green tea and a more sweetened green apple.

Sustained Taste: The aftertaste subdues it to the point that you want to take another drink, and lingers in your mouth for a very long time.

3.08/5  rDev -24.9%

First thanks to Mtardiff for providing this in trade. Thanks. Glad I have a witness to this review as my experience with this beer seems to be very different than all others listed. Jctribe25 (Patrick) and I shared this bottle.

First, this beer is NOT green, at all. Pale Amber in color or perhaps a hazy dark straw color.

Aroma is very fruity and also thick with sweetness.

Flavor is thick with sweetness just like the aroma, if not even sweeter. Candied sugar takes the lead on top of a pale malt undertone. Drinks like a Belgian Pale Ale. Would never consider this to be a saison.

Soft and rounded but feels thicker due to sweetness.

Really not what I expected here.

3.18/5  rDev -22.4%

Lot D, best before January 2013.

A: Pours a cloudy green with a lot of floaties. Big soda-like fizzy tan head that disappears fast. Zero lacing and zero retention. Possibly the ugliest beer I have ever seen but I'm leaving room for future contenders.

S: Kind of a funky, dusty aroma. Cloves, citrus and melon. Floral.

T: Hmph. A little citrus and flowers up front. Kinda weird and funky in the middle, hard to ascertain - kinda tart almost. Pretty sweet throughout which is odd for a saison. Spicy, heavy on the cloves and a little bit of white pepper too in the finish.

M: Medium bodied, low carbonation.

O: Odd beer and not in a good way, much like other Fantomes I've had. I really don't understand why people buy this beer.

3.26/5  rDev -20.5%

BBD Feb 2014, 0.75 litres: uncapped and cork removed on 24th Feb 2014 at the second ever Shrewsbury bottle share (four of us on this occasion). This was one of my gifts to the group.

It's flourescent green and my senses wouldn't allow it to smell or taste of beer, my eye's deciding it was a green tea (which I believe it has infused somewhere during the brewing process) and Lincoln Pea Soup mixture with extra food colouring added.

Different and a real talking point: where does the 8% ABV go for instance and why does it look like thin Pea Soup?

I enjoyed it but can't give you a proper review or tasting notes because it's just 'strange' and beyond my realms of reasoning and writing. My scores don't make sense either!

3.26/5  rDev -20.5%

From 11/05/11 notes. Bottle shared by someone at the mega-Fantome tasting. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Cigar City snifter.

a - Pours a yellow-green color with light sediment, moderate carbonation evident, and one inch of white head. Looks odd and off, though not as neon green as some bottles.

s - Smells of fruity malts, spices, light yeast, and light earthy notes. Nice fruit, but not too strong.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, spices, yeast, and vegetables. A bit odd; a step down from the nose.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall not my favorite at the tasting, but good. Appearance is very odd looking, but luckily it smells and tastes a ton better. Would have it again, but wouldn't be my go-to Fantome beer.

3.3/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

BOTTLE: 1 pint 9.4 fl oz format. Green glass. Unbranded pry-off crown cap over an internally housed cork (in classic Fantome fashion). Best before end 2017. Imported by the Shelton Bastards.

8% ABV. "Belgian Ale brewed with Green Tea." (Note the absence of any mention of "saison" or "farmhouse ale" on the label). Reviewed live. Served chilled into a tulip and allowed to come to temperature over the course of consumption.

HEAD: Just a white floater, no real head. Recedes within 30 seconds, leaving no lacing on the sides of the glass.

BODY: GREEN! Looks like a superhero or something. Pulverized green grass. Swampy scummy pond water green. It's a biteen dull - not vibrant at all. But it's certainly unique. Hazy and turbid; nontransparent. I see no yeast within. Talk about an eyecatcher.

Appears aptly carbonated. Definitely a special, unique appearance for a beer of any style. I can't wait to try it.

AROMA: Green tea is present, albeit faint. Some mild floral hop character. A blip of funkiness, but hardly any. Neutral pale malts.

I'm missing the intricate spice profile often found in Fantome beers, but this is certainly generally appealing.

Aromatic intensity is below average; it's a subdued aroma.

I detect no alcohol nor off-notes.

TASTE: Green tea is present throughout - undeniably. Hop profile is minimal to style, with some floral character coming through. Malt backbone is all pale malt. Cracked grains (maybe even wheat?) come through, playing into the dryness of the mouthfeel. Grassy (or maybe that's just my brain tricking me because it's green? I'd love to try this in a blind tasting). There's a hint of white pepper, but I'm not getting the intricate spices you'd expect in a great Fantome. I also find no funkiness. Maybe some ginger? A bit earthy. Some lemon-lime soda-like character (though a little better tasting than that description makes it sound). Vegetables enter in in the late second act - flavours I don't particularly care for.

Definitely more a Belgian ale than a saison. It's balanced but actually a bit simplistic. Yes, the green tea lends it a unique character, but without any other notes to complement it (e.g. honey, spices, white tea, clove, etc.) it seems a bit forced on this otherwise neutral flavour profile.

Average depth and intensity of flavour. Above average flavour duration.

Perceived bitterness and grassiness increase on the finish.

TEXTURE: No tea astringency, thankfully. Refreshing, light-bodied, smooth, and dry. There's enough heft on the palate here to support its many flavours, but it's never too thick or overbearing. Above average acidity.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, harsh, rough, or scratchy.

Texture complements the taste decently, but doesn't accentuate specific notes from the flavour profile or elevate the beer as a whole.

OVERALL: A drinkable enjoyable brew with a nice green tea character, but to be honest it's little more than that. I adore Fantome, but this is not amongst my favourites from their (i.e. his) incredible lineup. I'm glad I tried it once, and the appearance is certainly eye-catching, but ultimately it's a bit gimmicky. I've tried a few tea-infused beers with far more depth of flavour and natural integration into the build.

Low B- (3.30) / WORTHY

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%

750ml bottle corked and crowned. Poured into HF "Fest" wine glass.

A- Pours a translucent slightly hazy lime green with a little bit of light grey and a foamy white head that has nice retention and leaves some light layered lacing. Interesting color, unique and kind of cool, still holds the qualities of a nice saison, and I think they nailed exactly what they were going for- a greenish ghost-like ectoplasm.

S- Star fruit, kiwis, limes, green tea, some saison yeast, a light tartness, and a slightly di-acetyl buttery aroma that kind of gives off a green-tea fruity greek yogurt aroma. Interesting but weird. In my opinion the combination of aromas don't really work that well together but it isn't anything off-putting, just unusual.

T- Passion fruit, green tea, limes, star fruit, finishes with a little bit of di-acetyl butteriness mixed with a little bit of tartness and some tea. Very fruity, but not a fan of how the green tea mixes with the fruit and saison qualities.

M- Medium bodied, very drinkable, not overly carbonated, nice feel for a saison.

O- This was a very interesting and unique beer that I just didn't really care for that much. Personally I thought the appearance was really cool but the flavors kind of clashed and didn't really make for the most appealing beer aroma or flavor wise. I had trouble just finishing off a third of a glass. It reaffirms my belief that tea and beer should not be mixed together. I enjoy them separately, but every time I've had tea in beer it's been terrible. I enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer and the concept, but it isn't something I'll be looking to try again.

3.42/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

750ml corked and capped bottle. Served in a tulip. Pours the color of lime-green jello with a translucent clarity (reminiscent of Hi-C Ecto Cooler as pointed out by several in the tasting group). I have to say that I've never seen green tea this color, let alone a beer. Head is fluffy, and half an inch in height with a green tint to it. Nose expresses green tea and oak. Taste reveals more green tea, tannins, band-aids and chemicals. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a pleasant, even carbonation. Definitely one of the weirdest beers I've ever had, in both appearance and taste. It wasn't bad, but I'm not sure it's something I need to experience again.

3.57/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Neon green-yellow, lots of bubbles but no head.

S: Funky Fantome nose. Green tea shows up as an earthy note. Funky mushroom, horse blanket.

T: Lightly tart and acidic. Not as strange to taste as to look at or smell.

M: Good carbonation, light bitterness and astringency

O: Less than the sum of it's parts and a bit hard to finish, even sharing the bottle.

(Aside: the dregs of this one were the scariest thing I've ever seen someone drink. The sort of thing you'd expect to give someone mutant powers.)

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

Ridiculous luminous Ghostbusters green with webs of green foam. Very fresh herbal and lemon nose.
Sugar wafer, marshmallows, light lemon, some funk and slight herbal ting, with lingering basil.
Light, soft, crisp.

Pretty mucky funky woodruff beer. There some wild yeast tang, and the beer is green, of course, but nothing really special underneath it all.

3.62/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The beer comes in a rich leafy green color is that very strong for beer.

The beer is quite strange in flavor. There is a poor quality matcha green tea, or Starbucks Chai tea latte. There's heavy herbal, green grass, and some mint.

There is complex, but not exactly in a good way. There is that strange muddling of flavor that is like many others from Fantome. Depends on the person probably, but this did not hit the spot it for me.

3.65/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Definitely one of the strangest beers I've had. Slimer green in color. Nice aroma - musty basement, elderflower, Flintstone vitamin. Tastes is reminiscent of Sake. Notes of overripe pear, green tea, cantaloupe, white pepper. Slightly unpleasant medicinal finish. Soft mouthfeel. Bottle says it was best before February 2014 so I'd love to try a freshie to compare. Not great, but worth trying for sure.

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle. Oversized glass. Enjoyed on agt´11. Pours amazing kiwi light green in color. Haze. Off-white close & dense froth , crown shows pretty nice lacing & good retention. Subtle malty with yeast hues to the nose are covered by a peppermint storm with notes of tea. Sour/sweet slightly tartar at first sip. Citric flavors – lima & lemon- , quince hues, complete tasting profile. Dry bitter in the middle. Medium body, correct carbonation. Slightly buttery & spicy mouthfeel. Rough finish – granny Smith apples & kiwi notes. ABV well hidden by crispy fruit flavor. Green apple zest provides a remarkable acidic aftertaste, tea flavor arises a little later. Drinkability is ok.

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

750 mL bottle shared at the July Santa Cruz tasting. Pours an absurd unnatural green - fluorescent lime/ecto cooler to be exact - with a small white head. Aroma is lemons and limes, or lemon-lime soda, with some coriander and clove. Flavor is key lime, green tea, lemon candy, ginger, orange peel. A ludicrous beer.

3.76/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml into snifter. Thanks Matt (dboon)!

A: Pours an interesting lime green hue with a short lived, active, bright white head faded into a thick collar.
S: Lightly tart and bright notes of fruit, citrus, faint apple and something medicinal. I get a hint of tea and fruit punch.
T: Follows the nose. The “green” is for some reason more fruity than tea to me, and I'm not sure if it’s by association of color that I’m getting some tart green apple. Belgian yeast, slight dough, sour citrus and golden fruits come through nicely. Not as saison-like as expected.
M: full body, low smooth bubbly carbonation, slick, lightly tart mouthfeel and slightly greasy. Interesting.
O: Really unique and strange. Not my favorite, but I’m not sure I’ve ever had a beer that quite tastes like this one.

3.76/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Fantome; love it, hate it, not sure where I'm at. Have had more good bottles than bad and that is the reason I will continue to purchase them when I see them. Grabbed this one in Brussels along with a Pissenlit (last bottle I had was terrible) and a Printemps. Trying them one at a time with my buddy who has had more bad bottles than good and isn't a fan of Fantome. Of the 5 people that tried this one, I enjoyed it, one person found it interesting, 2 didn't like it, my wife hated it.

Gave it an almost perfect score because we got a pretty green one; was hoping for the Nickelodean green, that would have been a 5. So yeah, it's a green beer because of the addition of matcha tea, it looks cool, my favorite color is green and I was stoked to have my first "naturally" green beer.

Nose: funk, herbal/earthy, grassy hops, a little booze, and some tea I suppose.
Taste: the same but there was unfortunately a prominent presence of alcohol with the addition of an earthy smokiness (most likely from the grean tea). It was interesting enough I had no problem with my glass and my wifes.

Mouthfeel; dry and crisp, a bit slick, but pretty much what I would expect from a saison.

Overall; I liked it. I love saisons, I love the color green, so it was a fun beer for me. Is it a great saison, nah.

So far, I'm still interested in buying fantome when I see it...

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%

750ml bottle.

Holy shit, I had no idea it was going to pour like this...lime green with a off-white/green head that leaves some lime-colored lacing and a small cap. I have never seen a beer like this...ever.

Aroma brings me back to reality and expectations a bit. It's got the nice earthy, grassy Fantome character with some green tea and light herbs and spices. There is also an overall grainy character to the nose.

The taste has more of a zing than the aroma would suggest. The green tea is more pronounced, as is the Belgian yeast with the grassy notes taking on a bit of acidity which definitely didn't come through in the nose. The finish is green tea and light sweet fruits and malts.

The mouthfeel is light and effervescent and pleasantly prickly.

This is another curveball saison thrown by Fantome. The color is shocking, which the nose is a little more subtle. The taste brings back some shock value with the green tea coming through. Overall, it's not my favorite from Fantome, but it's still better than most.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Hard to rate as its a one of a kind. Pours completely a hazy green vegetable puree with a white finger of foam leaving little lacing. The nose follows the taste with heavy vegetal/herbal notes, grenadine and wild flower/weedy notes. The taste and mouthfeel is more of the samd and almost comes across as a sour. Nicely done but not to be tried again at $16 per bottle.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours green-tinged with a large head.
Nose shows soft saison farmhouse notes, lemon, elderflower and green tea.
Flavours instead focus on apricot and some acidity followed by lemon, green tea, and earthy saison notes.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

750 ml bottle. Pours a cloudy yellowish green. Not quite as green as I was expecting based on pictures and other reviews. It could have been the lighting or bottle variation, but it did get a little bit more green with additional pours from the bottle. There is a small white head that has good retention and leaves some light lacing on the glass. Aroma is green tea with some light lemon, almost a bit like a Lipton's iced green tea. A slight tartness is evident along with some citrus and a very light funk. The initial taste is has a bit of sweetness with green tea and a light lemon tartness. This goes into some light orange peel. The finish has a bit of tartness as well as a very light tea bitterness. Medium body. Medium carbonation. This was actually quite enjoyable. I was expecting to not like it, but was pleasantly surprised. A bit sweeter than a standard saison, but it works here.

3.94/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer is a trip!
I thought I was buying just a seasonal fantome saison and ended up with this pea green liquid haha.

Looks: Pea green , a bit of off green head, kind of gimmicky, feels like its st patricks day, but I like it.

Smell: grassy, bananas, floral, some cherry maybe

Taste: I can taste the green tea a bit, floral, some cough syrup, sorta sour, I think the green tea is the predominant flavor, been a while since Ive had green tea though,

Mouthfeel: low-medium carbonation, very smooth, very drinkable, surprised that it was 8%, feels much lower

Overall: its very good, Probably will restock this weekend. I prefer a couple other of the fantomes over this, but this is pretty interesting and I would love to have it again.

Fantôme Magic Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme