Love Belgian Beer?

4.1

Reviews: 128 | Ratings: 318
3.3/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

BOTTLE: 1 pint 9.4 fl oz format. Green glass. Unbranded pry-off crown cap over an internally housed cork (in classic Fantome fashion). Best before end 2017. Imported by the Shelton Bastards.

8% ABV. "Belgian Ale brewed with Green Tea." (Note the absence of any mention of "saison" or "farmhouse ale" on the label). Reviewed live. Served chilled into a tulip and allowed to come to temperature over the course of consumption.

HEAD: Just a white floater, no real head. Recedes within 30 seconds, leaving no lacing on the sides of the glass.

BODY: GREEN! Looks like a superhero or something. Pulverized green grass. Swampy scummy pond water green. It's a biteen dull - not vibrant at all. But it's certainly unique. Hazy and turbid; nontransparent. I see no yeast within. Talk about an eyecatcher.

Appears aptly carbonated. Definitely a special, unique appearance for a beer of any style. I can't wait to try it.

AROMA: Green tea is present, albeit faint. Some mild floral hop character. A blip of funkiness, but hardly any. Neutral pale malts.

I'm missing the intricate spice profile often found in Fantome beers, but this is certainly generally appealing.

Aromatic intensity is below average; it's a subdued aroma.

I detect no alcohol nor off-notes.

TASTE: Green tea is present throughout - undeniably. Hop profile is minimal to style, with some floral character coming through. Malt backbone is all pale malt. Cracked grains (maybe even wheat?) come through, playing into the dryness of the mouthfeel. Grassy (or maybe that's just my brain tricking me because it's green? I'd love to try this in a blind tasting). There's a hint of white pepper, but I'm not getting the intricate spices you'd expect in a great Fantome. I also find no funkiness. Maybe some ginger? A bit earthy. Some lemon-lime soda-like character (though a little better tasting than that description makes it sound). Vegetables enter in in the late second act - flavours I don't particularly care for.

Definitely more a Belgian ale than a saison. It's balanced but actually a bit simplistic. Yes, the green tea lends it a unique character, but without any other notes to complement it (e.g. honey, spices, white tea, clove, etc.) it seems a bit forced on this otherwise neutral flavour profile.

Average depth and intensity of flavour. Above average flavour duration.

Perceived bitterness and grassiness increase on the finish.

TEXTURE: No tea astringency, thankfully. Refreshing, light-bodied, smooth, and dry. There's enough heft on the palate here to support its many flavours, but it's never too thick or overbearing. Above average acidity.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, harsh, rough, or scratchy.

Texture complements the taste decently, but doesn't accentuate specific notes from the flavour profile or elevate the beer as a whole.

OVERALL: A drinkable enjoyable brew with a nice green tea character, but to be honest it's little more than that. I adore Fantome, but this is not amongst my favourites from their (i.e. his) incredible lineup. I'm glad I tried it once, and the appearance is certainly eye-catching, but ultimately it's a bit gimmicky. I've tried a few tea-infused beers with far more depth of flavour and natural integration into the build.

Low B- (3.30) / WORTHY

2.95/5  rDev -28%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Its probably widely variant, but I bet people either love or hate this beer; starting right with the appearance, the antifreeze green I thought was dope as hell, but you know how some of them mark ass bustaz be all like "oohh that's nasty" or some shit like they ain't never fucked with some hardcore shit from the streets.

Aroma is a trip. Its like a bunch of belgian saison spice racks, lemon, apple, pepper and copper. Its unusual, but not as much as that lime green look it is rockin'.

Taste, not a fan, bitter, some real different spice rack phenols going on. Mouthfeel is equally disdainful because the taste isn't all that, so how could the mouthfeel. . .

3.65/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Definitely one of the strangest beers I've had. Slimer green in color. Nice aroma - musty basement, elderflower, Flintstone vitamin. Tastes is reminiscent of Sake. Notes of overripe pear, green tea, cantaloupe, white pepper. Slightly unpleasant medicinal finish. Soft mouthfeel. Bottle says it was best before February 2014 so I'd love to try a freshie to compare. Not great, but worth trying for sure.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours green-tinged with a large head.
Nose shows soft saison farmhouse notes, lemon, elderflower and green tea.
Flavours instead focus on apricot and some acidity followed by lemon, green tea, and earthy saison notes.

3.62/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The beer comes in a rich leafy green color is that very strong for beer.

The beer is quite strange in flavor. There is a poor quality matcha green tea, or Starbucks Chai tea latte. There's heavy herbal, green grass, and some mint.

There is complex, but not exactly in a good way. There is that strange muddling of flavor that is like many others from Fantome. Depends on the person probably, but this did not hit the spot it for me.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

S- Bottle, best by 2016

A- This one is a gusher! There are literally pieces of green (leaves?) in the foam. I have never seen this in a beer before. The color is also unique, an almost army green.

S- This is one of the funkier fantomes I've had the pleasure of smelling. Fruity, but mostly super funky, dank, catty. The smell is (almost) off putting. I can see where some people would not like the aroma at all. But for those who seek that signature fantome funk, this will impress.

T- Sweeter than I expected from the aroma. Overripe pear, some funk, vegetal and herbal notes.

M- Nice medium full bodied mouthfeel maybe slightly less carbonated than I would prefer.

O- Second time I've had this and so glad I have more to try in the future! Thanks Mark!

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The first few ounces appeared golden - nothing out of the norm. But the liquid gradually turned minty, then a light olive green tone, and by the end it was impregnated by a near neon sediment that, contrasted against the neutral white background of a thick foam, made it look like it could practically glow in the dark. Magic Ghost is a green beer - yes, I said it, a green beer!

How did it get this way? Green tea, apparently. That's all I know (and that's more information than is usually revealed about Fantôme beers). My best guess is matcha, that would explain the intensity of the colour. It would also account for the expressively herbal and grassy bouquet - this smells as 'green' as it looks, with notes of lawn clippings, mint leaves, and garlic scapes.

All those flavours continue onto the palate and have accompanying texture to match: garlicky spice, minty refreshment, and the distinctly 'earthy' or 'herbal' sensation of chewing on blades of wet grass. There's also an enormously creamy quality that lends it a remarkably likeness to a green tea ice cream, something enhanced by its almond milk-like mouthfeel.

By now it should be obvious not to expect a typical, everyday farmhouse ale. Still, the actual 'beer' elements of this beer are not entirely lost in all the matcha flavouring; there's still the fresh-cracked peppercorn, orchard fruit, and cereal grain tastes of a typical Saison, and it drinks with the same spritzy carbonation and quenching acidity. It's different but every bit as wonderful.

Magic Ghost is an eccentric offering even for an infamously eccentric producer. A green beer sounds like a simple novelty (or worse, a gimmick) but, in truth, this is one of the most interesting offerings I've ever tried. What exactly makes it so astounding (aside from the surprisingly complimentary matcha flavour) eludes me, but take my word, it is certainly that.

3.26/5  rDev -20.5%

BBD Feb 2014, 0.75 litres: uncapped and cork removed on 24th Feb 2014 at the second ever Shrewsbury bottle share (four of us on this occasion). This was one of my gifts to the group.

It's flourescent green and my senses wouldn't allow it to smell or taste of beer, my eye's deciding it was a green tea (which I believe it has infused somewhere during the brewing process) and Lincoln Pea Soup mixture with extra food colouring added.

Different and a real talking point: where does the 8% ABV go for instance and why does it look like thin Pea Soup?

I enjoyed it but can't give you a proper review or tasting notes because it's just 'strange' and beyond my realms of reasoning and writing. My scores don't make sense either!

3.42/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

750ml corked and capped bottle. Served in a tulip. Pours the color of lime-green jello with a translucent clarity (reminiscent of Hi-C Ecto Cooler as pointed out by several in the tasting group). I have to say that I've never seen green tea this color, let alone a beer. Head is fluffy, and half an inch in height with a green tint to it. Nose expresses green tea and oak. Taste reveals more green tea, tannins, band-aids and chemicals. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a pleasant, even carbonation. Definitely one of the weirdest beers I've ever had, in both appearance and taste. It wasn't bad, but I'm not sure it's something I need to experience again.

3.18/5  rDev -22.4%

Lot D, best before January 2013.

A: Pours a cloudy green with a lot of floaties. Big soda-like fizzy tan head that disappears fast. Zero lacing and zero retention. Possibly the ugliest beer I have ever seen but I'm leaving room for future contenders.

S: Kind of a funky, dusty aroma. Cloves, citrus and melon. Floral.

T: Hmph. A little citrus and flowers up front. Kinda weird and funky in the middle, hard to ascertain - kinda tart almost. Pretty sweet throughout which is odd for a saison. Spicy, heavy on the cloves and a little bit of white pepper too in the finish.

M: Medium bodied, low carbonation.

O: Odd beer and not in a good way, much like other Fantomes I've had. I really don't understand why people buy this beer.

1.34/5  rDev -67.3%

750ml bottle, split

Ok. I'm sorry. I just do NOT get how this beer has ANY positive feedback. Truly one of the most terrible creations I have ever seen - a drain pour if there ever was one. let's count the ways...

1) It's green. It's f*cking green.
2) Incredibly smoky - a cross between how you smell after sitting by a campfire all night and how I imagine a yard full of burning tires would smell
3) It looks like toxic waste, but tastes worse
4) Did i mention burning rubber?

You people like this? Complete and utter undrinkable sh!t. For shame, Fantome. For shame.

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Oldp0rt for this one. I've always wanted to try this. 750ml capped and corked bottle into Tired Hands stemware. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 3 finger frothy light lime green head with decent retention. Lacing is thick and web-like with good stick. Beer is a clear BRIGHT GREEN! Excellent! And such a novelty!

Sugary sweet nose with hints of barnyard, tea leaves, hay, Brett and just the slightest sprinkling of tartness. Bready too. Real aromatic. I like it.

Opens sweet. Hints of peppercorn, spice, and yeast. Some barnyard funk and cane sugar sweetness in the middle. Floral at the end with another big dose of yeasty goodness. Finishes sweet with a spiced aftertaste. Flavor is a bit indescribable but pretty good.

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Lively and filmy in the mouth and goes down aggressive and prickly. Accented finish with a briefly lingering aftertaste. Real refreshing and certainly drinks lighter than 8%.

I really like this beer for the novelty factor but the fact that its actually a well-made brew is just icing on the cake. Drinks much easier than 8% and the flavor is just interesting and pleasant enough to keep me going back for me. I'd love to keep more of these around to introduce to company!

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Been holding onto this one for a long while now. Cracking in celebration to a downright horrible coworker (on a human being level) finally getting canned. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Ah yes, the fabled nearly neon green pour! Quite glad mine was green (like it should) as some others have colour issues. Anyways, a very nice rocky three finger head sits atop this green hue...a super light greenish white that fades to leave light lacing and a thin blanket.

S - Smell is distinctly Fantome, very nice light subtle funk. No alcohol, the green tea is there as a subtle herbal note in the background. Super faint apples.

T - Taste is super surprising! Very tart green apple skin, sour apple jolly ranchers, sour sour sour! Like..a Russian River and Fantome teamed up for a saison..just crazy stuff! The tea notes are there, in the background as a light herbal note. Alcohol flashes its 8% faintly on the finish, but its all granny smith apple skin on the aftertaste. Some star fruit notes too, fresh picked from the tree (which, if one has the chance, is outstanding by the way). This is awesome. Traditional saison, not even in the same book. But is this a crazy delicious experiment? Oh my goodness yes!

M - My fault as I served this at cellar temp on a very warm day...about 5 degrees too warm to start with. Quite unfortunate.

O - Overall, super, super happy I got a good bottle of this! Been worried that this bottle would be cheese or some other weird failure. Quite relieved I got a good bottle as this is just delicious and fun!

3.76/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml into snifter. Thanks Matt (dboon)!

A: Pours an interesting lime green hue with a short lived, active, bright white head faded into a thick collar.
S: Lightly tart and bright notes of fruit, citrus, faint apple and something medicinal. I get a hint of tea and fruit punch.
T: Follows the nose. The “green” is for some reason more fruity than tea to me, and I'm not sure if it’s by association of color that I’m getting some tart green apple. Belgian yeast, slight dough, sour citrus and golden fruits come through nicely. Not as saison-like as expected.
M: full body, low smooth bubbly carbonation, slick, lightly tart mouthfeel and slightly greasy. Interesting.
O: Really unique and strange. Not my favorite, but I’m not sure I’ve ever had a beer that quite tastes like this one.

3.76/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Fantome; love it, hate it, not sure where I'm at. Have had more good bottles than bad and that is the reason I will continue to purchase them when I see them. Grabbed this one in Brussels along with a Pissenlit (last bottle I had was terrible) and a Printemps. Trying them one at a time with my buddy who has had more bad bottles than good and isn't a fan of Fantome. Of the 5 people that tried this one, I enjoyed it, one person found it interesting, 2 didn't like it, my wife hated it.

Gave it an almost perfect score because we got a pretty green one; was hoping for the Nickelodean green, that would have been a 5. So yeah, it's a green beer because of the addition of matcha tea, it looks cool, my favorite color is green and I was stoked to have my first "naturally" green beer.

Nose: funk, herbal/earthy, grassy hops, a little booze, and some tea I suppose.
Taste: the same but there was unfortunately a prominent presence of alcohol with the addition of an earthy smokiness (most likely from the grean tea). It was interesting enough I had no problem with my glass and my wifes.

Mouthfeel; dry and crisp, a bit slick, but pretty much what I would expect from a saison.

Overall; I liked it. I love saisons, I love the color green, so it was a fun beer for me. Is it a great saison, nah.

So far, I'm still interested in buying fantome when I see it...

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Serving: Bottle
A - Clear pale green color with a finger of frothy off-white head. Fades normal.

S - Sweet wheat and grainy malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, lemon zest, green tea.

T - Sweet wheat and pilsner malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, green tea, lemon zest, bit of funk.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a funky, tart, estery finish.

D - Crazy color but solid overall beer.

2.84/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a pale green color. No head or lace is left behind. Just a strange pale, green. Looks like Kool Aid.
S: Cheesy funk up front. Light tart green apple skins and pithy lemon rind. Spearmint and minty aromas? Maybe the color is playing tricks with my head. Herbal and tea like in the finish.
T: Up front is the same cheesy funk that is in the nose. Very tannin like. Apple skins for sure. Lemony and pithy rind. Finishes very dry, and herbal like.
M/D: A light body with almost no carbonation. Thin, watery, and very dry. Interesting to try as a sample, but no way I want to drink more than a few ounces.

Fantome weirdness at its best. If you like that sort of thing. I am glad that I have been able to try this in several different settings, and never had to pay for it. Just not for me.

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle opened on 3.3.13
Best by Jan 13

A - Pours a hazy pale light green with a soapy white head that fizzes away instantly.

S - Herbal, tea. Grassy.

T - Tart Belgian yeast and tea. Not much else is detectable behind the strong tea.

D - Lower carbonation with a light body.

O - Light Belgian saison with some green tead added. Tastes as such.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First had: bottle I brought to share at Stone Soup '13

Poured looking like Ecto Cooler, bright green with a slight haze. Gotta love that. A small off-white head topped it off, and that sank to a thin ringlet. The aroma was unique and interesting, green tea, buttered popcorn, apple skin and melon juice, a touch of earth. Based on other reviews, I don't know if the popcorn was an off-aroma/flavor or not, but it didn't really matter, I still liked it. You never really know what you're going to get with Fantome, after all. The taste was a bit more laid back, but there were still some tea and grass notes, a bit more funkiness coming through, there was still a popcorn/butterscotch element present, but not nearly as intense as the aroma led me to believe. Light-medium body, moderate carbonation, tantalizingly drinkable. Unique and fun overall.

Upon a subsequent tasting, the buttery taste was non-existent, leading me to believe it was an off-flavor the first time I had it. More of the farmhouse funk came out, vegetal notes, and the other flavors listed before were more pronounced. I liked it a lot better this time around, and it even bumped my "taste" rating up a notch.

4.06/5  rDev -1%

Only the crazy foks at Fantome would make a beer like this. Shared at the recent Stone Soup event.

The beer pours a a light greenish gold color with good head retention and lacing. The beer is very bit as hilarious on the nose, as I get popcorn and fruit punch, with some underlying citrus and tea. The nose is just a tease, as of course it doesn't taste anything like that. The beer was fairly dry with some decent underlying hoppy bitterness, on a very light frame. There's also some tea flavor and herbaceousness, which just adds to th weirdness. Alcohol is nearly undectable.

I doubt I could drink a lot of this stuff, but I was very glad to have the opportunity to try it.

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%

750ml bottle corked and crowned. Poured into HF "Fest" wine glass.

A- Pours a translucent slightly hazy lime green with a little bit of light grey and a foamy white head that has nice retention and leaves some light layered lacing. Interesting color, unique and kind of cool, still holds the qualities of a nice saison, and I think they nailed exactly what they were going for- a greenish ghost-like ectoplasm.

S- Star fruit, kiwis, limes, green tea, some saison yeast, a light tartness, and a slightly di-acetyl buttery aroma that kind of gives off a green-tea fruity greek yogurt aroma. Interesting but weird. In my opinion the combination of aromas don't really work that well together but it isn't anything off-putting, just unusual.

T- Passion fruit, green tea, limes, star fruit, finishes with a little bit of di-acetyl butteriness mixed with a little bit of tartness and some tea. Very fruity, but not a fan of how the green tea mixes with the fruit and saison qualities.

M- Medium bodied, very drinkable, not overly carbonated, nice feel for a saison.

O- This was a very interesting and unique beer that I just didn't really care for that much. Personally I thought the appearance was really cool but the flavors kind of clashed and didn't really make for the most appealing beer aroma or flavor wise. I had trouble just finishing off a third of a glass. It reaffirms my belief that tea and beer should not be mixed together. I enjoy them separately, but every time I've had tea in beer it's been terrible. I enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer and the concept, but it isn't something I'll be looking to try again.

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks Leighton for bringing this to a London tasting.

I had given up on Fantome. Too many swampwater bottles for me in the past. This was a weird but really good beer.

Bright neon green color. Shocking looking in the glass. A bit intimidating to be honest. I love it!

Kiwi's passion fruit and tropical fruits in the nose and very heavy in the flavor. Quite sweet. minimal funky.

This reminded me a ton of the old school HiC Ecto-cooler. Hahaha.

Good stuff and the first fantome I could actually reccomend highly.

4.71/5  rDev +14.9%

I've had this beer many times from a bottle.

Appearance: This beer can vary from bottle to bottle in appearance. It is usually anywhere from pale greenish yellow to a dark lime green. Nice white head.

Smell: Tart, minerally, funky, limey, citrus.

Taste: The taste is funky, limey, grassy and refreshing. Green tea is there if you close your eyes and imagine it really hard. The green color has a visual effect that creeps down from your eyes to your tastebuds.

Mouth: Its' light and refreshing, with plenty of carbonation.

Overall: This is a unique beer. I buy it whenever I can, as much as I can. I've only had the opportunity twice. It's always fun to pop open a bottle because you never know what shade of green it is going to be exactly until you open it. A crowd pleaser for sure, and delicious on top of that. One of my top favorite beers, and I'm usually a stout guy.

I don't always drink Saisons, but when I do, I prefer Magic Ghost.

Cue the rimshot.

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

A: This is a light, vibrant green with a foamy white head that leaves a nice bit of lacing in the glass.

S: This has a nice amount of citrus, that is followed by a nice bit of tartness.

T: It starts off sweet and finishes with a crisp tartness.

M: The carb is well done. The body really compliments the flavors and is very well balanced.

O: I was shocked by the color of this beer when we first poured it, and initially thought it wouldn't be good and that is was gimmicky. I was pleasantly surprised and feel that it was a great take on the beer, and I expect and enjoy what this brewer does. I would highly recommend it for anyone who can get their hands on a bottle. DELICIOUS!

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance

Poured into a canadian whiskey glass. Appears a light ecto-plasmic green (maybe from Ghostbusters 2?) with a frothy white head that fades into a lingering lace around the edge of the glass. There’s a slight sediment that rings the bottom that deepens as the beer settles. This could look great in a black-light (anyone from the 60s lurking?)

Smell

Citrusy overtones, with a quick change to tartness (sweet-tarts?).

Taste

There’s a sweet, tartness to the finish flavor of the swig. Clean and crisp, but the tartness fades as the beer warms towards room temperature.

Mouthfeel

There’s a good balance with the carbonation. The body and the flavors match up well.

Overall

It’s one of the more unique beers that I’ve had in recent memory and re-awakens memories from one of the greatest supernatural movies of all time. Definitely worth buying and enjoying if you have the opportunity since it’s a one-off. Enjoy at your first opportunity.

Fantôme Magic Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme