Fantôme Magic Ghost | Brasserie Fantôme

Added by womencantsail on 04-11-2011

Reviews: 128 | Ratings: 321
1.34/5  rDev -67.3%

750ml bottle, split

Ok. I'm sorry. I just do NOT get how this beer has ANY positive feedback. Truly one of the most terrible creations I have ever seen - a drain pour if there ever was one. let's count the ways...

1) It's green. It's f*cking green.
2) Incredibly smoky - a cross between how you smell after sitting by a campfire all night and how I imagine a yard full of burning tires would smell
3) It looks like toxic waste, but tastes worse
4) Did i mention burning rubber?

You people like this? Complete and utter undrinkable sh!t. For shame, Fantome. For shame.

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Oldp0rt for this one. I've always wanted to try this. 750ml capped and corked bottle into Tired Hands stemware. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 3 finger frothy light lime green head with decent retention. Lacing is thick and web-like with good stick. Beer is a clear BRIGHT GREEN! Excellent! And such a novelty!

Sugary sweet nose with hints of barnyard, tea leaves, hay, Brett and just the slightest sprinkling of tartness. Bready too. Real aromatic. I like it.

Opens sweet. Hints of peppercorn, spice, and yeast. Some barnyard funk and cane sugar sweetness in the middle. Floral at the end with another big dose of yeasty goodness. Finishes sweet with a spiced aftertaste. Flavor is a bit indescribable but pretty good.

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Lively and filmy in the mouth and goes down aggressive and prickly. Accented finish with a briefly lingering aftertaste. Real refreshing and certainly drinks lighter than 8%.

I really like this beer for the novelty factor but the fact that its actually a well-made brew is just icing on the cake. Drinks much easier than 8% and the flavor is just interesting and pleasant enough to keep me going back for me. I'd love to keep more of these around to introduce to company!

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Been holding onto this one for a long while now. Cracking in celebration to a downright horrible coworker (on a human being level) finally getting canned. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Ah yes, the fabled nearly neon green pour! Quite glad mine was green (like it should) as some others have colour issues. Anyways, a very nice rocky three finger head sits atop this green hue...a super light greenish white that fades to leave light lacing and a thin blanket.

S - Smell is distinctly Fantome, very nice light subtle funk. No alcohol, the green tea is there as a subtle herbal note in the background. Super faint apples.

T - Taste is super surprising! Very tart green apple skin, sour apple jolly ranchers, sour sour sour! Like..a Russian River and Fantome teamed up for a saison..just crazy stuff! The tea notes are there, in the background as a light herbal note. Alcohol flashes its 8% faintly on the finish, but its all granny smith apple skin on the aftertaste. Some star fruit notes too, fresh picked from the tree (which, if one has the chance, is outstanding by the way). This is awesome. Traditional saison, not even in the same book. But is this a crazy delicious experiment? Oh my goodness yes!

M - My fault as I served this at cellar temp on a very warm day...about 5 degrees too warm to start with. Quite unfortunate.

O - Overall, super, super happy I got a good bottle of this! Been worried that this bottle would be cheese or some other weird failure. Quite relieved I got a good bottle as this is just delicious and fun!

3.76/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml into snifter. Thanks Matt (dboon)!

A: Pours an interesting lime green hue with a short lived, active, bright white head faded into a thick collar.
S: Lightly tart and bright notes of fruit, citrus, faint apple and something medicinal. I get a hint of tea and fruit punch.
T: Follows the nose. The “green” is for some reason more fruity than tea to me, and I'm not sure if it’s by association of color that I’m getting some tart green apple. Belgian yeast, slight dough, sour citrus and golden fruits come through nicely. Not as saison-like as expected.
M: full body, low smooth bubbly carbonation, slick, lightly tart mouthfeel and slightly greasy. Interesting.
O: Really unique and strange. Not my favorite, but I’m not sure I’ve ever had a beer that quite tastes like this one.

3.76/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Fantome; love it, hate it, not sure where I'm at. Have had more good bottles than bad and that is the reason I will continue to purchase them when I see them. Grabbed this one in Brussels along with a Pissenlit (last bottle I had was terrible) and a Printemps. Trying them one at a time with my buddy who has had more bad bottles than good and isn't a fan of Fantome. Of the 5 people that tried this one, I enjoyed it, one person found it interesting, 2 didn't like it, my wife hated it.

Gave it an almost perfect score because we got a pretty green one; was hoping for the Nickelodean green, that would have been a 5. So yeah, it's a green beer because of the addition of matcha tea, it looks cool, my favorite color is green and I was stoked to have my first "naturally" green beer.

Nose: funk, herbal/earthy, grassy hops, a little booze, and some tea I suppose.
Taste: the same but there was unfortunately a prominent presence of alcohol with the addition of an earthy smokiness (most likely from the grean tea). It was interesting enough I had no problem with my glass and my wifes.

Mouthfeel; dry and crisp, a bit slick, but pretty much what I would expect from a saison.

Overall; I liked it. I love saisons, I love the color green, so it was a fun beer for me. Is it a great saison, nah.

So far, I'm still interested in buying fantome when I see it...

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Serving: Bottle
A - Clear pale green color with a finger of frothy off-white head. Fades normal.

S - Sweet wheat and grainy malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, lemon zest, green tea.

T - Sweet wheat and pilsner malts, Belgian yeast, coriander, pepper, green tea, lemon zest, bit of funk.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a funky, tart, estery finish.

D - Crazy color but solid overall beer.

2.84/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a pale green color. No head or lace is left behind. Just a strange pale, green. Looks like Kool Aid.
S: Cheesy funk up front. Light tart green apple skins and pithy lemon rind. Spearmint and minty aromas? Maybe the color is playing tricks with my head. Herbal and tea like in the finish.
T: Up front is the same cheesy funk that is in the nose. Very tannin like. Apple skins for sure. Lemony and pithy rind. Finishes very dry, and herbal like.
M/D: A light body with almost no carbonation. Thin, watery, and very dry. Interesting to try as a sample, but no way I want to drink more than a few ounces.

Fantome weirdness at its best. If you like that sort of thing. I am glad that I have been able to try this in several different settings, and never had to pay for it. Just not for me.

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle opened on 3.3.13
Best by Jan 13

A - Pours a hazy pale light green with a soapy white head that fizzes away instantly.

S - Herbal, tea. Grassy.

T - Tart Belgian yeast and tea. Not much else is detectable behind the strong tea.

D - Lower carbonation with a light body.

O - Light Belgian saison with some green tead added. Tastes as such.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First had: bottle I brought to share at Stone Soup '13

Poured looking like Ecto Cooler, bright green with a slight haze. Gotta love that. A small off-white head topped it off, and that sank to a thin ringlet. The aroma was unique and interesting, green tea, buttered popcorn, apple skin and melon juice, a touch of earth. Based on other reviews, I don't know if the popcorn was an off-aroma/flavor or not, but it didn't really matter, I still liked it. You never really know what you're going to get with Fantome, after all. The taste was a bit more laid back, but there were still some tea and grass notes, a bit more funkiness coming through, there was still a popcorn/butterscotch element present, but not nearly as intense as the aroma led me to believe. Light-medium body, moderate carbonation, tantalizingly drinkable. Unique and fun overall.

Upon a subsequent tasting, the buttery taste was non-existent, leading me to believe it was an off-flavor the first time I had it. More of the farmhouse funk came out, vegetal notes, and the other flavors listed before were more pronounced. I liked it a lot better this time around, and it even bumped my "taste" rating up a notch.

4.06/5  rDev -1%

Only the crazy foks at Fantome would make a beer like this. Shared at the recent Stone Soup event.

The beer pours a a light greenish gold color with good head retention and lacing. The beer is very bit as hilarious on the nose, as I get popcorn and fruit punch, with some underlying citrus and tea. The nose is just a tease, as of course it doesn't taste anything like that. The beer was fairly dry with some decent underlying hoppy bitterness, on a very light frame. There's also some tea flavor and herbaceousness, which just adds to th weirdness. Alcohol is nearly undectable.

I doubt I could drink a lot of this stuff, but I was very glad to have the opportunity to try it.

3.41/5  rDev -16.8%

750ml bottle corked and crowned. Poured into HF "Fest" wine glass.

A- Pours a translucent slightly hazy lime green with a little bit of light grey and a foamy white head that has nice retention and leaves some light layered lacing. Interesting color, unique and kind of cool, still holds the qualities of a nice saison, and I think they nailed exactly what they were going for- a greenish ghost-like ectoplasm.

S- Star fruit, kiwis, limes, green tea, some saison yeast, a light tartness, and a slightly di-acetyl buttery aroma that kind of gives off a green-tea fruity greek yogurt aroma. Interesting but weird. In my opinion the combination of aromas don't really work that well together but it isn't anything off-putting, just unusual.

T- Passion fruit, green tea, limes, star fruit, finishes with a little bit of di-acetyl butteriness mixed with a little bit of tartness and some tea. Very fruity, but not a fan of how the green tea mixes with the fruit and saison qualities.

M- Medium bodied, very drinkable, not overly carbonated, nice feel for a saison.

O- This was a very interesting and unique beer that I just didn't really care for that much. Personally I thought the appearance was really cool but the flavors kind of clashed and didn't really make for the most appealing beer aroma or flavor wise. I had trouble just finishing off a third of a glass. It reaffirms my belief that tea and beer should not be mixed together. I enjoy them separately, but every time I've had tea in beer it's been terrible. I enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer and the concept, but it isn't something I'll be looking to try again.

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks Leighton for bringing this to a London tasting.

I had given up on Fantome. Too many swampwater bottles for me in the past. This was a weird but really good beer.

Bright neon green color. Shocking looking in the glass. A bit intimidating to be honest. I love it!

Kiwi's passion fruit and tropical fruits in the nose and very heavy in the flavor. Quite sweet. minimal funky.

This reminded me a ton of the old school HiC Ecto-cooler. Hahaha.

Good stuff and the first fantome I could actually reccomend highly.

4.71/5  rDev +14.9%

I've had this beer many times from a bottle.

Appearance: This beer can vary from bottle to bottle in appearance. It is usually anywhere from pale greenish yellow to a dark lime green. Nice white head.

Smell: Tart, minerally, funky, limey, citrus.

Taste: The taste is funky, limey, grassy and refreshing. Green tea is there if you close your eyes and imagine it really hard. The green color has a visual effect that creeps down from your eyes to your tastebuds.

Mouth: Its' light and refreshing, with plenty of carbonation.

Overall: This is a unique beer. I buy it whenever I can, as much as I can. I've only had the opportunity twice. It's always fun to pop open a bottle because you never know what shade of green it is going to be exactly until you open it. A crowd pleaser for sure, and delicious on top of that. One of my top favorite beers, and I'm usually a stout guy.

I don't always drink Saisons, but when I do, I prefer Magic Ghost.

Cue the rimshot.

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

A: This is a light, vibrant green with a foamy white head that leaves a nice bit of lacing in the glass.

S: This has a nice amount of citrus, that is followed by a nice bit of tartness.

T: It starts off sweet and finishes with a crisp tartness.

M: The carb is well done. The body really compliments the flavors and is very well balanced.

O: I was shocked by the color of this beer when we first poured it, and initially thought it wouldn't be good and that is was gimmicky. I was pleasantly surprised and feel that it was a great take on the beer, and I expect and enjoy what this brewer does. I would highly recommend it for anyone who can get their hands on a bottle. DELICIOUS!

4.33/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into a canadian whiskey glass. Appears a light ecto-plasmic green (maybe from Ghostbusters 2?) with a frothy white head that fades into a lingering lace around the edge of the glass. There’s a slight sediment that rings the bottom that deepens as the beer settles. This could look great in a black-light (anyone from the 60s lurking?)

Citrusy overtones, with a quick change to tartness (sweet-tarts?).

There’s a sweet, tartness to the finish flavor of the swig. Clean and crisp, but the tartness fades as the beer warms towards room temperature.

There’s a good balance with the carbonation. The body and the flavors match up well.

It’s one of the more unique beers that I’ve had in recent memory and re-awakens memories from one of the greatest supernatural movies of all time. Definitely worth buying and enjoying if you have the opportunity since it’s a one-off. Enjoy at your first opportunity.

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this numerous times and it is one of my all time favorites. This pours a medium bodied, Nickolodeon sludge dark cloudy green. Every time it is one of the coolest things I've seen from a beer. The nose is light and funky with citrusy fruit notes. I get lime, wheat germ, grass, green tea,cucumber, and Belgian yeast. Who does that? The flavors are both slightly tart and really yeasty. The flavors feature green tea, lemongrass, peas, lime, and so much Belgian yeast. Wowzers this is both unique and complex. It's has near perfect body. You won't find a saison this smooth unless you drink their regular saison. This beer is fantastic. It is strange, looks crazy In a glass, and has crazy characteristics comparatively. This is weird, and a must try.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Thanks to the Rare Beer Club for including this in a prior selection. Lot number "d" with a best by date of Jan 2013.

Pours a clear kiwi green with 1-2 finger cap of white foam that collapsed down thin but retains atop the beer. On the nose there's a refreshingly fruity mix of peaches, raspberries, and lime. Also picking up a bit of herbal spice, perhaps dill. Slight earthy funk. Flavor profile includes an upfront orange and peach coupled with sweetened green tea and kiwi. Dry finish leaves traces of lemon-line and saison yeastiness. Medium-light in body with a bristling carbonation. This is the first time I've sampled a Fantome beer though I can see why some craft beer fans are so crazy about the brewery. Really interesting mix of flavors makes for a very refreshing, complex session.

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

Reviewed from tasting notes.

Pours out a very bright Mountain Dew green color with carbonation and sparkly carbonation to match. The bottom half of the bottle has some darker green sediment, so the second pour creates a darker swampy green color. Truly a striking color to behold in the glass. It has a brief moment of tall head but it dissolves away in less than a minute, without lacing.

Smells like a blend of lemon and lime, a kind of generic "green gelatin dessert" fruity aroma, strong amounts of honeydew melon (rind included), and a lesser amount of green herbals and light straw.

Tastes similar to how the nose plays, but with an additional strong granny smith apple juice sort of astringent tartness and a soft-pedaled yeastiness in the background. ABV is very well hidden.

Medium body and soft texture.

Well worth experiencing.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

750ml bottle into a 25cl Duvel tulip. Gladly I got the last (and therefore greenest!) pour at the tasting. Huge thanks to whoever brought this one, a long-time want.

A: Deep, intense, vibrant lime-colored body beneath an inch of tight pale green foam. Verdant, vibrant, vivacious.

S: Rich, soft, fruity, perfumed, herbal, grassy. Incredibly floral, complex, and integrated. Fantastic in every way.

T: Fruity, vegetal, herbal, spicy. Really high in minerality, really dry, really complex. Amazing Saison.

M: Medium-bodied, creamy, rich. Perhaps a bit heavy for the style, but luxurious.

O: What a beer. While I would usually see a neon-green beer as a worthless gimmick, the Fantôme origin promised better - and delivered. Unique, and uniquely amazing.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

750ml bottle 8,0% ABV
Served chilled in an over sized wine glass.

Appearance: Hmmm, when I imagined a green beer, I thought it would be a natural greeny-yellow. I could not have been more wrong! Magic Ghost pours a bright, toxic waste green that almost seems to glow! The body is very murky and is topped by a massive, green tinted head. The head retention is average and it leaves a little lace as it recedes.

Smell: After the appearance, I was expecting something crazy from the nose, but it is actually pretty standard for a Fantome offering. Notes include: Green apple peel, lemon grass, a tart lactic note, a floral note, fresh cut grass, an earthy character and a touch of green tea leaves.

Taste: The flavour follows on from the nose quite well with notes of green apple peel, lemon, a herbal note, fresh cut grass and a distinctive green tea character in the finish.
The beer is very lightly tart and quite dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a high level of fairly smooth carbonation. The yeast adds a slightly chalky character to the mouthfeel.

Overall: Magic Ghost is a solid saison, clean and refreshing. It would go down very well on a hot day. I did however find it a little disappointing as after the crazy appearance I expected a little more from the flavour.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Clean yellowish green. This was the first pour from the bottle. Subsequent glasses were very bright green. Small white head.

Smell - Lime gatorade. Green tea? Tart. Kinda like a lime berliner.

Taste - Bright lime flavor that fades to yeast. Grainy malts. Not as much green tea as the nose.

Mouthfeel - Light. Deliciously drinkable. Good lingering flavor of lime without the tartness.

Overall - Really good. Maybe not as complex as other Fantome offerings, but a nice dichotomy of saison and sour.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

pours ecto-cooler grean with a thick, very pale head. i would be far less amused if this wasn't a great beer.
the aroma is a funky lime kiwi. the yeasty funk prevents it from smelling "juice-y." touch of tea.
the taste is somwhat less fruity than the aroma suggests. there's a healthy yeast derived tang, with the same fruit undercurent, but with lemon added. there also seems to be some herbal qualities that are difficult to put my finger on, followed by some tea. theres clearly some bittering hops drying things out a bit (along with the tea flavors), but I'm not getting any hop flavor. there are also faint notes of hefe yeast. aftertaste of melon rind. overall sort of difficult to desrcibe beyond the fruit. and the 8% abv is incredibly well masked.
the mouthfeel has an overall soft effect with a slightly oily body and fine carbonation.
overall, as i said, a real handful to try and describe beyond the fruit. very unique and a great beer for a stormy night after a warm day.

3.58/5  rDev -12.7%

Ridiculous luminous Ghostbusters green with webs of green foam. Very fresh herbal and lemon nose.
Sugar wafer, marshmallows, light lemon, some funk and slight herbal ting, with lingering basil.
Light, soft, crisp.

Pretty mucky funky woodruff beer. There some wild yeast tang, and the beer is green, of course, but nothing really special underneath it all.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Poured into my Cantillon tulip a neon green ecto cooler color. Massive white head with neon highlights, a huge head that left sticky lacing all over the glass.

S: Yeasty biscuit with saison yeast aromas, bready and stale horse barn aroma.

T: Light crisp refreshing , perfect for a memorial day cap off of lawn mowing, pool prepping, woodchip spreading and a long bike ride. Feels and looks like summer in the 90's here today in CT. Light granny smith taste with a very subdued malt bill, all pilsner malts? I cannot believe that this has 8% abv but I would get more of these if they were available anywhere around here. Green tea mixing with some sour and light brett flavors popping though. This really is amazingly refreshing, I will have to seek out more of these or brew a few batches of saisons this summer and hope for the best. Mild bittering is present, and mixing perfectly with this delicious saison.

M: Light crisp refreshing, good high level of carbonation, huge head.

O: I can really enjoy the complexity of this saison. I would never say the color is a gimmick as no mention is made of it on the outside of the bottle, and the glass is green so you could never tell otherwise until it was poured. Funny that for a brewery this old, most other breweries would probably be taunted for brewing a beer this color.

3.57/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Neon green-yellow, lots of bubbles but no head.

S: Funky Fantome nose. Green tea shows up as an earthy note. Funky mushroom, horse blanket.

T: Lightly tart and acidic. Not as strange to taste as to look at or smell.

M: Good carbonation, light bitterness and astringency

O: Less than the sum of it's parts and a bit hard to finish, even sharing the bottle.

(Aside: the dregs of this one were the scariest thing I've ever seen someone drink. The sort of thing you'd expect to give someone mutant powers.)

Fantôme Magic Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme