Fantôme Magic Ghost | Brasserie Fantôme

fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by womencantsail on 04-11-2011

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to AshleyMiller for this one! 750ml bottle split between a pair of Fantome tulips and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Key lime green colored beer with a finger and a half of paper white head. No lacing to speak of, but the nice green color is pretty unique and appetizing. 4/5

S: Fairly basic saison profile on the nose. Specifically this is the profile I associate with Wyeast 3711 French saison yeast, one of my favorite. Black pepper, white pepper, coriander, cumin, and an abundance of spice defines the 3711 aroma and that's what comes through here. Solid. 4/5

T: Nice and fruity with a pepper backbone. Banana, melon, cucumber, and... Spearmint? The guessing game about what makes this green continues! A cool refreshing mintiness is appreciated. Not sharp like peppermint either sooo, spearmint is my final answer. Very interesting stuff. 4/5

M: Full and heavy with a crisp finish. 5/5

O: A provoking beer. I'm glad to have tried this because now I'm inspired to make something similar. A simple pilsner/wheat malt profile, with noble hops, French saison yeast, and some spearmint in secondary sounds like a plan for a homebrew. Very glad to have tried this and hope to make something close to it soon. 4/5

4.41/5  rDev +7.8%

I shared a bottle with Douglas Miller and Marcus Siu.

A- Mountain Dew? My bottle was neon green… I have read different descriptions of the color, but I could have told someone this was MNT DEW, and they would have believed me. A small head that quickly went away and no there was lacing to speak of.

S- Smelled rather funky and yeasty, smells funkier than it tastes. There are hints of Granny Smith apple and lemon.

T- Unique! Sweet n Sour; I also picked up a slight earthy flavor which I assumed was the alleged addition of spinach. There is a hint of green tea, but it came in more as it warmed. Lambic qualities in this saison...

M- Highly carbonated with a light foamy body. The high carbonation was a present addition to this brew, creating a nice foamy mouth feel. The mouth feel matches the look.

O- The most unusual brew I have ever had. If you find this, it is a no brainer to pick one up. This brew is a great rarity and an example of why I will always pick up a new Fantôme.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Tasted blindly courtesy of Blind BIF #6. I had a wild ride with this one... Note that this bottle was very different from the first time I had Magic Ghost. It wasn't green until the dregs of the bottle, and the flavor was a bit different. I'm chalking it up to typical Fantome bottle variation.

750ml bottle poured into Hill Farmstead Goblet.

Appearance: Pour into glass yields a finger of thin white head. Liquid is a hazy golden yellow, lighter near the edges. Gentle spotted lacing, and the head has relatively nice staying power.

Smell: Very fruity. Apples blend with lemons and other assorted citrus-zest. Tiny bit of funk, but a surprisingly sweet nose.

Taste: More fruit. Apples again take control, but a lot more is going on - lemon, grass, a very earthy malt, some barnyard funk… Slight tinge of tartness here. Tasty Belgian yeast lingers on the palate, demanding you to take the next sip.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to high carb - gentle at first, but more potent bubbles on the back. Thin body. Very refreshing on the palate.

Drinkability: High. ABV is almost non-existent, I'm going to guess 6% or so, but it could be a bit higher.

Overall: A very nice, crisp, and refreshing beer. Would definitely drink again.

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%

I have to thank my wife for the gift of beer. It's nice to have her supporting my hobby. Emphasis on hobby, not problem. Anyhoo...

Poured this out of a 750 ml bottle into my CBS snifter.

A) Holy cow, is it St. Patty's Day? This is a granny smith green with a finger of foamy head, which dissipated pretty quickly to just a collar. That was eventually gone too. There was no lacing. This was actually kind of cloudy, with sediment. The more I thoght about it, I was thinking a thin split pea soup. This was so unique. I really liked the looks of it.

S) A bit yeasty, funky and fruity, primarily a sour apple. There is a little lemon zest, and as it warms a bit, I was thinking a little green tea.

T) I can honestly say, this tastes like no beer I have previously enjoyed. At least not that I can recall, and I mean this as a compliment. This is a little yeasty and grainy, with sour fruits, and some leafy vegetable earthy quality. The sourness is what I enjoy. It drives you to the next sip.

M) Medium body with quite a bit of carbonation. There is a zip and tingle to this one on the palate, but it feels right. The aftertaste is very satisfying.

O) I don't think this is a beer I would care to drink regularly, but I sure would like to have it on hand for when I'm in the mood. I would highly recommend this brew.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

4.16/5  rDev +1.7%

Ah, the infamous green Fantome. Thanks to cbutova for sharing this, been looking forward to trying it.

The rumors are true! Crazy appearance - old chlorine/algae green with a slightly pale blue head (!) that is unstoppable. A slime bubble bath with lots of carbonation bubbles. One of a kind appearance to say the least.

Belgian yeast, apple, lemon, grassy notes in the nose. Good, a little tamed for Fantome.

It's an odd one, but it's more like a regular saison than any other Fantomes I've had. Lots of yeast, tart fruits, apple, white grapes, lemon, lime, Ecto-Cooler. Not really noticeable green tea but some weird herbalness, bready malt.

High carbonation but fits the beer, as usual for the brewery no alcohol taste and lots of flavor.

Refreshing, awesome, strange and complex exactly what I expect from Fantome. This is probably one of the more 'down to earth' beers I've had from them which isn't saying much. On the lookout for bottles of this one for sure.

Fantôme Magic Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme