Fantôme Magic Ghost | Brasserie Fantôme

fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by womencantsail on 04-11-2011

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy green (!?!) into a Golden Monkey tulip. I thought I was prepared for it, but it’s still rather shocking when you first see it. My significant other warned me against drinking it, but I’m willing to take this risk. A one-finger, greenish head sticks vanishes rather quickly, leaving a small amount of lacing as I work my way through the glass.

Smell: Interesting, and certainly unusual. I get a combination of two different types of fruits – lemons and other citrus on one hand, and tart berries on the other. Surrounding it all is a light, almost herbal spiciness.

Taste: For me, this beer defies characterization, and it’s hard to figure out how to describe it. I suppose I can say that the tart berries that came through in the nose remain, the citrus from the nose becomes almost sweet, there’s a modest biscuit-y malt backbone and a vague herbal feel, and a hint of grass and straw from the yeast, and it all works. At the very end, after I’ve swallowed, I get a hint of the green tea. This may be the most incoherent review I’ve ever written, but this beer is a real stumper.

Mouthfeel: It’s pretty highly carbonated, and feels very light in the mouth – it almost dances on your tongue.

Drinkability: Quite high. I have no idea how to even begin thinking of pairing this with food, and unlike a traditional saison I think you’d need to think a little about it, but I’m sure there are some good combinations.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

4.31/5  rDev +5.4%

From 750mL bottle to Bruery tulip glass

Justifying the title, Magic Ghost reveals itself as one of the most unique looking beers I've ever seen. The head disappears like it's soda, and in place of straw-yellows and golden-ambers is a striking, algae-like green.

But the nose and flavors aren't all that shocking, and are quite balanced and delicious. It smells of citrus tones and tea and grass, as cracker-y notes surround the bouquet, and work as a nice segue to each sip. The flavors are surprisingly delicate, with notes of lemon, tea, honey-malts blending to make a singular flavor and a completely drinkable farmhouse ale. The grassy funk plays a role, but this is one of the more simply refreshing saisons I've sampled.

4.21/5  rDev +2.9%

750 ml served into a tulip

A-This is by far the coolest looking beer I have ever seen. It is literally green. It is like this weird grassy green color with a solid white head.

S-A lot of lemon, grass, green tea, honey and fresh outdoors.

T-A little sour but not quite geuzy sourness. It is a lemony herbal sour. There is a lot of green tea shining through especially in the aftertaste. Unlike a spiced beer, the spices do not overpower. There is also a bready taste.

M-Really carbonated, leaves a nice tingly feeling on the tongue.

O-This beer is really cool. That is the simplest way to describe it. It is green and it tastes really good.

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

Shared by Michael at a mega-Fantome tasting recently, served in a Fantome tulip that by this point had some much Fantome in it, Peter Venkmen was asking if he could borrow it.

Beer is not bright green but kind of yellow green, methinks there is some bottle variation in here. Oh well. soft white, lazy head, low retention, low lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is yeasty, bready, sweet, tea like, leafy.

Beer is nice, I can taste the tea but it is not overwhelming, I really enjoy it overall. The finish is a little dry but the overall body is medium with nice yeast, floral, and tea notes, the tea comes up later. Overall a nice little beer.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

4.31/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a fluorescent slime green color that's reminiscent of ecto cooler with a thin white head that quickly fades not a thin ring. Minimal lacing.

Very earthy and funky aroma with lots of barnyard must/horsey notes along with some earthy oak and a mineral/vegetal tea leaf presence. The green tea compliments the funky yeast very well, resulting in a very unique aroma.

Light bodied with a ton of earthy funk and green tea flavor. Not sour but musty and earthy with hints of straw, wet hay and grass and funky bugs. This is nicely complimented by the herbal/mineral green tea presence, creating a very odd, yet very flavorful, funky beer. Unlike anything I've had before.

3.08/5  rDev -24.7%

First thanks to Mtardiff for providing this in trade. Thanks. Glad I have a witness to this review as my experience with this beer seems to be very different than all others listed. Jctribe25 (Patrick) and I shared this bottle.

First, this beer is NOT green, at all. Pale Amber in color or perhaps a hazy dark straw color.

Aroma is very fruity and also thick with sweetness.

Flavor is thick with sweetness just like the aroma, if not even sweeter. Candied sugar takes the lead on top of a pale malt undertone. Drinks like a Belgian Pale Ale. Would never consider this to be a saison.

Soft and rounded but feels thicker due to sweetness.

Really not what I expected here.

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%