Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fantôme Magic Ghost | Brasserie Fantôme

Added by womencantsail on 04-11-2011

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

4.14/5  rDev +1%

4.34/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

3.62/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The beer comes in a rich leafy green color is that very strong for beer.

The beer is quite strange in flavor. There is a poor quality matcha green tea, or Starbucks Chai tea latte. There's heavy herbal, green grass, and some mint.

There is complex, but not exactly in a good way. There is that strange muddling of flavor that is like many others from Fantome. Depends on the person probably, but this did not hit the spot it for me.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

S- Bottle, best by 2016

A- This one is a gusher! There are literally pieces of green (leaves?) in the foam. I have never seen this in a beer before. The color is also unique, an almost army green.

S- This is one of the funkier fantomes I've had the pleasure of smelling. Fruity, but mostly super funky, dank, catty. The smell is (almost) off putting. I can see where some people would not like the aroma at all. But for those who seek that signature fantome funk, this will impress.

T- Sweeter than I expected from the aroma. Overripe pear, some funk, vegetal and herbal notes.

M- Nice medium full bodied mouthfeel maybe slightly less carbonated than I would prefer.

O- Second time I've had this and so glad I have more to try in the future! Thanks Mark!

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The first few ounces appeared golden - nothing out of the norm. But the liquid gradually turned minty, then a light olive green tone, and by the end it was impregnated by a near neon sediment that, contrasted against the neutral white background of a thick foam, made it look like it could practically glow in the dark. Magic Ghost is a green beer - yes, I said it, a green beer!

How did it get this way? Green tea, apparently. That's all I know (and that's more information than is usually revealed about Fantôme beers). My best guess is matcha, that would explain the intensity of the colour. It would also account for the expressively herbal and grassy bouquet - this smells as 'green' as it looks, with notes of lawn clippings, mint leaves, and garlic scapes.

All those flavours continue onto the palate and have accompanying texture to match: garlicky spice, minty refreshment, and the distinctly 'earthy' or 'herbal' sensation of chewing on blades of wet grass. There's also an enormously creamy quality that lends it a remarkably likeness to a green tea ice cream, something enhanced by its almond milk-like mouthfeel.

By now it should be obvious not to expect a typical, everyday farmhouse ale. Still, the actual 'beer' elements of this beer are not entirely lost in all the matcha flavouring; there's still the fresh-cracked peppercorn, orchard fruit, and cereal grain tastes of a typical Saison, and it drinks with the same spritzy carbonation and quenching acidity. It's different but every bit as wonderful.

Magic Ghost is an eccentric offering even for an infamously eccentric producer. A green beer sounds like a simple novelty (or worse, a gimmick) but, in truth, this is one of the most interesting offerings I've ever tried. What exactly makes it so astounding (aside from the surprisingly complimentary matcha flavour) eludes me, but take my word, it is certainly that.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

3.26/5  rDev -20.5%

BBD Feb 2014, 0.75 litres: uncapped and cork removed on 24th Feb 2014 at the second ever Shrewsbury bottle share (four of us on this occasion). This was one of my gifts to the group.

It's flourescent green and my senses wouldn't allow it to smell or taste of beer, my eye's deciding it was a green tea (which I believe it has infused somewhere during the brewing process) and Lincoln Pea Soup mixture with extra food colouring added.

Different and a real talking point: where does the 8% ABV go for instance and why does it look like thin Pea Soup?

I enjoyed it but can't give you a proper review or tasting notes because it's just 'strange' and beyond my realms of reasoning and writing. My scores don't make sense either!

Fantôme Magic Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme