Fantôme Magic Ghost | Brasserie Fantôme

fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by womencantsail on 04-11-2011

3.76/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml into snifter. Thanks Matt (dboon)!

A: Pours an interesting lime green hue with a short lived, active, bright white head faded into a thick collar.
S: Lightly tart and bright notes of fruit, citrus, faint apple and something medicinal. I get a hint of tea and fruit punch.
T: Follows the nose. The “green” is for some reason more fruity than tea to me, and I'm not sure if it’s by association of color that I’m getting some tart green apple. Belgian yeast, slight dough, sour citrus and golden fruits come through nicely. Not as saison-like as expected.
M: full body, low smooth bubbly carbonation, slick, lightly tart mouthfeel and slightly greasy. Interesting.
O: Really unique and strange. Not my favorite, but I’m not sure I’ve ever had a beer that quite tastes like this one.

3.76/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Fantome; love it, hate it, not sure where I'm at. Have had more good bottles than bad and that is the reason I will continue to purchase them when I see them. Grabbed this one in Brussels along with a Pissenlit (last bottle I had was terrible) and a Printemps. Trying them one at a time with my buddy who has had more bad bottles than good and isn't a fan of Fantome. Of the 5 people that tried this one, I enjoyed it, one person found it interesting, 2 didn't like it, my wife hated it.

Gave it an almost perfect score because we got a pretty green one; was hoping for the Nickelodean green, that would have been a 5. So yeah, it's a green beer because of the addition of matcha tea, it looks cool, my favorite color is green and I was stoked to have my first "naturally" green beer.

Nose: funk, herbal/earthy, grassy hops, a little booze, and some tea I suppose.
Taste: the same but there was unfortunately a prominent presence of alcohol with the addition of an earthy smokiness (most likely from the grean tea). It was interesting enough I had no problem with my glass and my wifes.

Mouthfeel; dry and crisp, a bit slick, but pretty much what I would expect from a saison.

Overall; I liked it. I love saisons, I love the color green, so it was a fun beer for me. Is it a great saison, nah.

So far, I'm still interested in buying fantome when I see it...

3.81/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

750ml bottle.

Holy shit, I had no idea it was going to pour like this...lime green with a off-white/green head that leaves some lime-colored lacing and a small cap. I have never seen a beer like this...ever.

Aroma brings me back to reality and expectations a bit. It's got the nice earthy, grassy Fantome character with some green tea and light herbs and spices. There is also an overall grainy character to the nose.

The taste has more of a zing than the aroma would suggest. The green tea is more pronounced, as is the Belgian yeast with the grassy notes taking on a bit of acidity which definitely didn't come through in the nose. The finish is green tea and light sweet fruits and malts.

The mouthfeel is light and effervescent and pleasantly prickly.

This is another curveball saison thrown by Fantome. The color is shocking, which the nose is a little more subtle. The taste brings back some shock value with the green tea coming through. Overall, it's not my favorite from Fantome, but it's still better than most.

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Hard to rate as its a one of a kind. Pours completely a hazy green vegetable puree with a white finger of foam leaving little lacing. The nose follows the taste with heavy vegetal/herbal notes, grenadine and wild flower/weedy notes. The taste and mouthfeel is more of the samd and almost comes across as a sour. Nicely done but not to be tried again at $16 per bottle.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours green-tinged with a large head.
Nose shows soft saison farmhouse notes, lemon, elderflower and green tea.
Flavours instead focus on apricot and some acidity followed by lemon, green tea, and earthy saison notes.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

750 ml bottle. Pours a cloudy yellowish green. Not quite as green as I was expecting based on pictures and other reviews. It could have been the lighting or bottle variation, but it did get a little bit more green with additional pours from the bottle. There is a small white head that has good retention and leaves some light lacing on the glass. Aroma is green tea with some light lemon, almost a bit like a Lipton's iced green tea. A slight tartness is evident along with some citrus and a very light funk. The initial taste is has a bit of sweetness with green tea and a light lemon tartness. This goes into some light orange peel. The finish has a bit of tartness as well as a very light tea bitterness. Medium body. Medium carbonation. This was actually quite enjoyable. I was expecting to not like it, but was pleasantly surprised. A bit sweeter than a standard saison, but it works here.

3.92/5  rDev -4.2%

Capped and corked 750 in traditional Fantome Fashion.

Appearance - Deep Green body with a light frothy cap of bright white head.

Smell - Macha green tea, Vegetal leaves, damp grass, Jazz Apples

Taste - Green tea, some apple/pear once it warms up, a baked cinnamon spice note towards the end but mostly Green tea

Mouthfeel - Medium to low carbonation for fantome. I'd appreciate a bit more carb but otherwise the mouthfeel is pretty hefty and creamy while still remaining dry.

Overall - This isn't my favorite Fantome. But it's a fun beer to open for people who haven't had it. It's a bit of a novelty and while I'm sure there are phenomenal bottles of this out there this one lacked any distinct Fantome house character and is fairly a one note riff on Macha Green tea. Worth a buy but not something I'd long to drink.

3.94/5  rDev -3.7%

3.94/5  rDev -3.7%

This beer is a trip!
I thought I was buying just a seasonal fantome saison and ended up with this pea green liquid haha.

Looks: Pea green , a bit of off green head, kind of gimmicky, feels like its st patricks day, but I like it.

Smell: grassy, bananas, floral, some cherry maybe

Taste: I can taste the green tea a bit, floral, some cough syrup, sorta sour, I think the green tea is the predominant flavor, been a while since Ive had green tea though,

Mouthfeel: low-medium carbonation, very smooth, very drinkable, surprised that it was 8%, feels much lower

Overall: its very good, Probably will restock this weekend. I prefer a couple other of the fantomes over this, but this is pretty interesting and I would love to have it again.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

yes. this beer pours a bright green. it does make me think of easter strangely. i don't think that the green tea is the sole coloring agent in this beer. this is one of the sweetest fantomes i've had and i think whatever green may be it also makes the beer sweeter. nose is tangy white grape and earthy notes. a tad minty. lychee and lime jello. sweetness. i have heard that the wort may contain a lot a spinach... hard to say. or maybe hyssop... an easter spice used for dying absinthe. had to say though seeing as i don't think i have ever even tasted hyssop individually, I'm at a loss... twit like bitter edging. not my favorite fantome. the feel is a tad gritty sweet. and a tricky beer to really get a hold on a motive outside of trickery and mystery. i can say faithfully that this curveball won't deter many.

if you're going to have ti with food... perfect for fish tacos. you know the kind. with the cabbage, cilantro, and lime.

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

750ml green corked and capped bottle poured into a tulip...

Not very green at all like the other reviews...strange, but I always throw expectations out the window when drinking a Fantome...Cloudy and hazy, more of a green tea color than a green color, dark yellow with just hints of green. A bit of white head forms and quickly recedes...

Smell is slightly tart and full of funk. Earthy, bits of wet hay and lemon. Aromas become more full as the beer warms a bit, the beer becomes mostly musty, but with a distinct, crisp, almost pilsner like quality...

Taste follows the smell, slightly tart with earthy and floral flavors. A sweetness emerges after a few sips and has a somewhat 'sweetened green-tea' flavor. Mildly bitter in the finish...

Medium bodied with light, but spritzy carbonation...

Overall a pretty enjoyable beer and one of the better Fantome's I have recently tried...

3.97/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance: What color is this? Green? Lime? Algae? This is a first. It might be glowing?

Smell: Very different, definitely some tea, spinach and brussel sprouts. I'm curious if this counts as a serving of vegetables. Some tea as well.

Taste: Very similar to the smell; lots of green tea and spinach with some nice citrus additions. It is really weird but it works. Also the typical fantom elements with a bit of earth.

Overall: This one is incredible weird but interesting and well done. Green beer. Who knew?

3.99/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a murky lime green. Looks like watered down slime. A bit of white head. Not sure to rate this.
Smells sweet and light. Smells maybe fruity? Not sure..
Tastes sweet and fruity. A nice touch of funk. Overall a bit odd.
Well carbonated but the colour is still throwing me off. Very odd

Fantôme Magic Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme