Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by womencantsail on 04-11-2011

4.1

Reviews: 128 | Ratings: 318
4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Great beer from Fantome they really did a great job on this.

I had this beer at Amesbury Alehouse after reading a lot about it online. Being a Fantome fan I had to try this out and see if the beer really looked as Green as they said it would when it poured. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed. It was a murky green with yeast swirling around the glass like a tornado.

The smell definitely had a fruity/funky aroma with apple like smell to it. Pretty complex aroma to it much like most Fantomes have to it.

The taste had was intense than the aroma of the beer. It had the fruit sweetness like apples and honeydew mixed with the tartness and tang. The more I drank the more I enjoyed it.

I have to say however the after effects I was feeling the next morning for a hangover were awful. I didn't feel right for two days after drinking this ale in combination with a few other beers.

4.26/5  rDev +3.9%

153rd Review
Bottle to snifter

From notes. I've enjoyed this a couple of times, but this review comes courtesy of Knownfactor bringing this to a tasting...thanks Matt!

A: Ghostbuster ectoplasm green. Sweet! I'm a fan already. Barely a quarter (dull white) fingernail head on medium pour.

S: Mostly lemon and green apple here with hints of white pepper, coriander, and faint wheat. Slight funk, but nothing too crazy.

T: Tart and smooth. Very different, but quite tasty at the same time. Green apple, pear, white pepper, cumin, white (unripended) grapes, Belgian yeast.

M: Medium/full bodied with medium carbonation.

O: I really like how Fantôme will push the limits to expand the range of a style (in this case saison/farmhouse ale). Good beer all-around and a fun one to get people to make a double take when witnessing it being poured.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Tasted blindly courtesy of Blind BIF #6. I had a wild ride with this one... Note that this bottle was very different from the first time I had Magic Ghost. It wasn't green until the dregs of the bottle, and the flavor was a bit different. I'm chalking it up to typical Fantome bottle variation.

750ml bottle poured into Hill Farmstead Goblet.

Appearance: Pour into glass yields a finger of thin white head. Liquid is a hazy golden yellow, lighter near the edges. Gentle spotted lacing, and the head has relatively nice staying power.

Smell: Very fruity. Apples blend with lemons and other assorted citrus-zest. Tiny bit of funk, but a surprisingly sweet nose.

Taste: More fruit. Apples again take control, but a lot more is going on - lemon, grass, a very earthy malt, some barnyard funk… Slight tinge of tartness here. Tasty Belgian yeast lingers on the palate, demanding you to take the next sip.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to high carb - gentle at first, but more potent bubbles on the back. Thin body. Very refreshing on the palate.

Drinkability: High. ABV is almost non-existent, I'm going to guess 6% or so, but it could be a bit higher.

Overall: A very nice, crisp, and refreshing beer. Would definitely drink again.

S- Bottle, best by 2016

A- This one is a gusher! There are literally pieces of green (leaves?) in the foam. I have never seen this in a beer before. The color is also unique, an almost army green.

S- This is one of the funkier fantomes I've had the pleasure of smelling. Fruity, but mostly super funky, dank, catty. The smell is (almost) off putting. I can see where some people would not like the aroma at all. But for those who seek that signature fantome funk, this will impress.

T- Sweeter than I expected from the aroma. Overripe pear, some funk, vegetal and herbal notes.

M- Nice medium full bodied mouthfeel maybe slightly less carbonated than I would prefer.

O- Second time I've had this and so glad I have more to try in the future! Thanks Mark!

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Picked up 2x 750 ml bottles today. Aging one, drinking one today. As mentioned by the other reviewers, this beer pours a hazy lime green with a massive soapy white head. Sticks all over the glass as I swirl it around.

Aroma consists of yeast funk, pepper, lemon, and green tea. Some other earthy, spicy characters in the nose as well, but not easily described. Flavor has a sweet malty/grainy backbone with other flavors following the nose; lemon zest, orange, ginger and green tea. Finish is rather tart and dry. Bubbly on the tongue with a rather light, refreshing body. Very different but enjoyable brew.

4.19/5  rDev +2.2%

It's green. Strong fluffy head. Thousands of bubbles. 5/5 in my book. GREEN.

Grass, earthy, salty.

Lemon, lime, pear, floral notes, complexities I can't place. This is a beer that is downright appealing, the taste is both instantly pleasing and complex.

Light, crisp, refreshing, dry, very carbonated. 8%? It really seems to be lower.

Great taste. Great drinkability. In a perfect world I'd buy this by the case.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Hard to rate as its a one of a kind. Pours completely a hazy green vegetable puree with a white finger of foam leaving little lacing. The nose follows the taste with heavy vegetal/herbal notes, grenadine and wild flower/weedy notes. The taste and mouthfeel is more of the samd and almost comes across as a sour. Nicely done but not to be tried again at $16 per bottle.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to AshleyMiller for this one! 750ml bottle split between a pair of Fantome tulips and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Key lime green colored beer with a finger and a half of paper white head. No lacing to speak of, but the nice green color is pretty unique and appetizing. 4/5

S: Fairly basic saison profile on the nose. Specifically this is the profile I associate with Wyeast 3711 French saison yeast, one of my favorite. Black pepper, white pepper, coriander, cumin, and an abundance of spice defines the 3711 aroma and that's what comes through here. Solid. 4/5

T: Nice and fruity with a pepper backbone. Banana, melon, cucumber, and... Spearmint? The guessing game about what makes this green continues! A cool refreshing mintiness is appreciated. Not sharp like peppermint either sooo, spearmint is my final answer. Very interesting stuff. 4/5

M: Full and heavy with a crisp finish. 5/5

O: A provoking beer. I'm glad to have tried this because now I'm inspired to make something similar. A simple pilsner/wheat malt profile, with noble hops, French saison yeast, and some spearmint in secondary sounds like a plan for a homebrew. Very glad to have tried this and hope to make something close to it soon. 4/5

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

750ml green corked and capped bottle poured into a tulip...

Not very green at all like the other reviews...strange, but I always throw expectations out the window when drinking a Fantome...Cloudy and hazy, more of a green tea color than a green color, dark yellow with just hints of green. A bit of white head forms and quickly recedes...

Smell is slightly tart and full of funk. Earthy, bits of wet hay and lemon. Aromas become more full as the beer warms a bit, the beer becomes mostly musty, but with a distinct, crisp, almost pilsner like quality...

Taste follows the smell, slightly tart with earthy and floral flavors. A sweetness emerges after a few sips and has a somewhat 'sweetened green-tea' flavor. Mildly bitter in the finish...

Medium bodied with light, but spritzy carbonation...

Overall a pretty enjoyable beer and one of the better Fantome's I have recently tried...

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

750 ml bottle. Pours a cloudy yellowish green. Not quite as green as I was expecting based on pictures and other reviews. It could have been the lighting or bottle variation, but it did get a little bit more green with additional pours from the bottle. There is a small white head that has good retention and leaves some light lacing on the glass. Aroma is green tea with some light lemon, almost a bit like a Lipton's iced green tea. A slight tartness is evident along with some citrus and a very light funk. The initial taste is has a bit of sweetness with green tea and a light lemon tartness. This goes into some light orange peel. The finish has a bit of tartness as well as a very light tea bitterness. Medium body. Medium carbonation. This was actually quite enjoyable. I was expecting to not like it, but was pleasantly surprised. A bit sweeter than a standard saison, but it works here.

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into tulip glass:

Appearance: Pours hazy lime green (darker as you near the bottom of the bottle) with a white head.

Smell: slightly spicy and funky with green tea and floral notes.

Taste: Medium sour, fruity, green apples, green tea, funky notes and a slightly sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, very bubbly.

Overall: Great fun beer. I will definitely buy more whenever I can find it.

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Magic Ghost pouts out a hazy slightly green golden color into a pint glass. One finger of white head that fades quickly. Slight ecto cooler resemblance in a good way.

The smell is fresh bright tea leaves and slight citrus mango tartness. Very inviting lively smells.

Taste is citrus tea that blends to a slightly bready wheat note. I get a hint of tart citrus bite in the finish. Very complex with many nuanced flavors.

Mouthfeel is moderate with normal carbonation levels. More dialed in carbonation levels than most Fantome beers I have had. Perhaps this is because it is so fresh.

Overall I am really impressed with this beer. One of my favorite breweries put out a great product here. I would buy this in bulk if it were in Minnesota.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

Best before Date: 1/2013

Purchased @ Hill Farmstead (Harvest Festival 10/1/11) Greensboro, VT

Price - $15/bottle

My first thought here is "Why put this in a green bottle!?

Pours a hazey straw yellow with a single finger soapy white head (no green). Average retention with spotty lacing. I heard this was suppose to look green but I'm not getting any green whatsoever. Streams of carbonation are visible and help maintain a thin film which covers the top.

The nose is lemon and lime with some earthy notes. An underlying musty foundation from the Belgian yeast authenticates it's style.

The flavor is surprisingly sweeter than other Saisons I've experienced, but still balanced. This example has a strong citrus backbone which I dig. Zesty flavors of lemon, green apple and kiwi dominate the taste.

Mouthfeel is light and clean with a low carbonated feel which is perfect for the style. The body is light and refreshing with a mild tartness. In the end it's noticeably dry.

Overall a pretty impressive example of the style and my favorite to date. If I come across more in the future, I'll certainly buy it. Quite sessionable and maybe a little dangerous @ 8%.

4.41/5  rDev +7.6%

Pizza Port Belgian Beer Party 2011

A- No way...Its reminds me of ecto-cooler when i was a kid. Pours a bright green with an off white head that has a very light green tint to it. Good retention.

S- Smells of barn yard funk, malt sweetness, Belgian yeast characteristics, with some earthy green tea notes hiding in the background.

T--Amazing flavors, marry very well with one another. Starts out sweet, dries quickly revealing some earthy green tea flavors. Nice slightly sour/tart presence all through out. Really unique beer.

M- Bubbly with med-lite body.

O- Kick Ass!!!

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%

Sômeône already mentiôned this, but this ône pôurs an Ectô-côôler green with a massive green-tinted head. Is it St. Patty's day? nôpe, it's Fantôme day! The head quickly fades tô a thin côllar that leaves sôme spôtty lacing.

The arôma is as unique as the côlôr, sôme Fantôme funk with sôme Belgian yeast and I'm getting sôme hints ôf green tea as well.

Taste is slightly tart with sôme hints ôf green tea and a sweetness that reminds me ôf a gummy bear, but it's môre mild than that. I alsô get sôme hints ôf ôther spices, but I can't put my finger ôn what they are.

Môuthfeel is a little ôn the thin side but with môderate carbônatiôn. Anôther interesting ôffering frôm Fantôme, that wôn't be fôrgôtten anytime sôôn.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

750 provided by LSUPT. I've been really looking forward to this one since I heard news of it. Thanks Alex.

Enjoyed with my girlfriend in a pair of Fantome tulips.

At first, it pours yellow with a white head that boasts a very faint hint of lime green in it. It was very interesting.. As the huge 3 finger head died down, the color of the beer changed color. It became more and more green. Kind of like the color of your pee after drinking an energy drink. It leaves no lacing but the head on this one actually stuck around for quite some time especially for a Fantome brew.

Smell was mostly of green tea, green apple, and a hint of soy or edamame beans. I can't pick out which it is. Very floral with the nice tart zing at the end like most Fantome saisons have.

Taste is outstanding. I am a big fan of green tea and this beer definitely highlights it. Big green tea leaves with a drying floral finish. That nice Fantome tartness is on the finish as well. Kind of a dried seaweed taste.

Mouthfeel is fairly high in carbonation but it makes this way too easy to drink. My girlfriend is sucking it down like nothing and thats amazing for a beer with a 8% ABV.

This was a really good Saison. Very different from anything I've ever had, but I wish more breweries would try and mimic something like this. Fantome was very adventurous with this beer, but as always, they made it work.

Thanks again Alex.

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really wish I could give the appearance of this beer a big fat "?" rather than a number. I was careful to pour the beer without disturbing the bottom layer of yeast. Pale green/yellow with a fizzy head that left no lacing and no cap. Afterwards I poured the yeast etc. into the glass, and it was a murky dark green. Highly bizarre.

Smells of, in no particular order, banana, coriander, barnyard, malts, vinegar. A real smorgasbord. Complex and excellent.

Flavors much the same as the nose but with some small modifications. No coriander in the taste, but green apple, lemon, malt, slight bittering (hops? green tea?), banana, and the funk kind of ran away. An amazing swirl of flavors that work together and randomly appear as a highlight with each sip.

Light, effervescent body in line with the flavors of the beer.

Great beer with very unique flavors. Never really picked up the green tea in it except for the color. Another fine offering from one of the most unique brewers out there.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy green (!?!) into a Golden Monkey tulip. I thought I was prepared for it, but it’s still rather shocking when you first see it. My significant other warned me against drinking it, but I’m willing to take this risk. A one-finger, greenish head sticks vanishes rather quickly, leaving a small amount of lacing as I work my way through the glass.

Smell: Interesting, and certainly unusual. I get a combination of two different types of fruits – lemons and other citrus on one hand, and tart berries on the other. Surrounding it all is a light, almost herbal spiciness.

Taste: For me, this beer defies characterization, and it’s hard to figure out how to describe it. I suppose I can say that the tart berries that came through in the nose remain, the citrus from the nose becomes almost sweet, there’s a modest biscuit-y malt backbone and a vague herbal feel, and a hint of grass and straw from the yeast, and it all works. At the very end, after I’ve swallowed, I get a hint of the green tea. This may be the most incoherent review I’ve ever written, but this beer is a real stumper.

Mouthfeel: It’s pretty highly carbonated, and feels very light in the mouth – it almost dances on your tongue.

Drinkability: Quite high. I have no idea how to even begin thinking of pairing this with food, and unlike a traditional saison I think you’d need to think a little about it, but I’m sure there are some good combinations.

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks Leighton for bringing this to a London tasting.

I had given up on Fantome. Too many swampwater bottles for me in the past. This was a weird but really good beer.

Bright neon green color. Shocking looking in the glass. A bit intimidating to be honest. I love it!

Kiwi's passion fruit and tropical fruits in the nose and very heavy in the flavor. Quite sweet. minimal funky.

This reminded me a ton of the old school HiC Ecto-cooler. Hahaha.

Good stuff and the first fantome I could actually reccomend highly.

4.72/5  rDev +15.1%

A: This is a light, vibrant green with a foamy white head that leaves a nice bit of lacing in the glass.

S: This has a nice amount of citrus, that is followed by a nice bit of tartness.

T: It starts off sweet and finishes with a crisp tartness.

M: The carb is well done. The body really compliments the flavors and is very well balanced.

O: I was shocked by the color of this beer when we first poured it, and initially thought it wouldn't be good and that is was gimmicky. I was pleasantly surprised and feel that it was a great take on the beer, and I expect and enjoy what this brewer does. I would highly recommend it for anyone who can get their hands on a bottle. DELICIOUS!

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

App- Pours with a good amount of carbonation and leaves nice lacing

Smell- Funky saison with green tea

Taste- The green tea really enhanced this saison, rounding out flavors. It's sweet without being cloying. Barnyard, but in a good way. Would be fantastic on a hot day.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated and goes down easy

Overall- Really enjoyed this beer. Think i'll pick up a few more bottles before it disappears, no pun intended.

First of all, I love every offering I've had from Fantome....now to review...
A: key lime body with a pale lime green head. Looks like key lime pie!
S: funky, citrus, hay, slightly earthy, sour apple
T: literally tastes like sour green apple to me! has a funky aftertaste that is delectable and refreshing. Very crisp.
M: champagne like when posted initially. Consistent tiny little bubbles that tickle the tip of your tongue
O: very tasty and very dangerous because the alcohol is hidden so well. I love fantome and definitely recommend this if you want to try a saison!

4.71/5  rDev +14.9%

I've had this beer many times from a bottle.

Appearance: This beer can vary from bottle to bottle in appearance. It is usually anywhere from pale greenish yellow to a dark lime green. Nice white head.

Smell: Tart, minerally, funky, limey, citrus.

Taste: The taste is funky, limey, grassy and refreshing. Green tea is there if you close your eyes and imagine it really hard. The green color has a visual effect that creeps down from your eyes to your tastebuds.

Mouth: Its' light and refreshing, with plenty of carbonation.

Overall: This is a unique beer. I buy it whenever I can, as much as I can. I've only had the opportunity twice. It's always fun to pop open a bottle because you never know what shade of green it is going to be exactly until you open it. A crowd pleaser for sure, and delicious on top of that. One of my top favorite beers, and I'm usually a stout guy.

I don't always drink Saisons, but when I do, I prefer Magic Ghost.

Cue the rimshot.

3.94/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer is a trip!
I thought I was buying just a seasonal fantome saison and ended up with this pea green liquid haha.

Looks: Pea green , a bit of off green head, kind of gimmicky, feels like its st patricks day, but I like it.

Smell: grassy, bananas, floral, some cherry maybe

Taste: I can taste the green tea a bit, floral, some cough syrup, sorta sour, I think the green tea is the predominant flavor, been a while since Ive had green tea though,

Mouthfeel: low-medium carbonation, very smooth, very drinkable, surprised that it was 8%, feels much lower

Overall: its very good, Probably will restock this weekend. I prefer a couple other of the fantomes over this, but this is pretty interesting and I would love to have it again.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Curious. Spinach dust? Initial pour, into tulip, not super aggressive, but not terribly gentle either, brought a smallish white soapy head. I gave a low score for appearance not for the green color of the beer, but because the head disappeared right away, completely. The green beer with the head was interesting and appealing...without the foam, not so much. A quick swirl brings the foam back, but again it doesn't stick in any way. Great herbal fruity musty grassy nose. Supremely sniffable. The flavor follows the nose and is truly compelling. The beer is sweet tart fruity earthy and delicious. Not highly carbonated, somewhat slick, easy drinkin'. Overall, I really like this beer, but I wonder what the point of the "green" is. I was told spinach dust was used, but I can't help but wonder why?

Fantôme Magic Ghost from Brasserie Fantôme