Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Dark) | Brasserie Fantôme

YOUR RATING = None |
Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Dark)Fantôme La Dalmatienne (Dark)

Brasserie Fantôme
Belgium | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

This listing is for the label depicting a black background with white spots.

Added by Thorpe429 on 11-15-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 33 | Ratings: 71
4.19/5  rDev +5.5%

Ok you Fantôme there. Last time we met, things didn't go so well. There was so much potential, so much anticipation, yet my heart was crushed. I vowed that if we ever were to meet again, it better not hurt. For I sensed so much promise but you let me down. We're gonna try this one more time you and I.

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Best before July 2014 with a cork in the bottle. Cork pops with LOTS of pressure, WOAH there now, don't be angry at me. I know I didn't get along with you last time but let's be friends now, I am trying again to make this work. I've invested a lot here financially and emotionally in this union don't start off like this ok?!. I notice some slow crawling foam wanting to come out. The bubbles are all nice and pin head sized.

Slow decant, and then some faster down the middle pour produces a light caramel colored and very soapy head, that dissolves quite quickly. Body color is a dark indian red brown a little cloudy, kind of a nice red chestnut, very nice. Soapy collar left. Not that impressive but good enough, ok we're trying here this is a good effort.

This nose is real nice. A mix of small dark rich malt, but light brown spices, cinnamon, light LIGHT brown sugar, classic Belgian candi, orange tangerine and citrus soda, but mostly BIG RAISINS. This is looking promising. VERY promising.

Mild brett funk it seems at first, but never returns, proceeding with a large somewhat thick molasses aftertaste. Mild caramel in the front palate turns to sensing prickly carbonation. Chewy dark fruits of dates, currants, with a light bodied feel, but then a large tannic tongue smashing on the middle and raisin raisin RAISINS come out in abundance. Dancing prickly tongue with an almost watery feel and mild carbonation but no gaseous feeling. No sense of alcohol heat. Warming up quinine becomes more of a flavor to come.

Overall I was real scared to go back to Fantôme there, Belgian "Dark" specifically doesn't always jive for a fav style of mine, but this is something real special, very unique, never tasted anything quite like it. I am glad to see you and I Mr. Casper ghost staring at me so evilly are seeing eye to eye now. I worked real hard to make this relationship work you know. Glad to see your true colors and that I don't have to fight like this so much again, you're not exactly cheap where I live either. I would really love to try the light I guess Blonde version of this. We will meet again in earnest. Adieu.

4.21/5  rDev +6%

This pours a ruddy ruby amber with a thick layer of cotton topping it. The lacing lingers in the glass. Looks amazing.
First impressions are of sweet berries (described as “Hawaiian punch” by one taster), spring berries, with fruity notes evolving as the beer opens up. It’s very fruity on the palate as well, with these sharp cherry and berry notes, finishing dry and tart with a touch of sour.

This is an intriguing, interesting, involving, evolving beer. I enjoyed sharing this with some beer enthusiasts after a day of hard work. Wish I knew who to properly thank for bringing it!

4.25/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Burgandy/copper, finger of light pinkish head, dissipates quickly

S - Sour grape, lemon, cranberry, raspberry

T - Initial: Sweet raspberry, grape, lemon. finish is a sour grape, spices, bitter hop level (1/10)

M - real light, light body

O - Very good. Great sweet and sour notes. Dark sour grape is wonderful. do wish it was thicker.

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Originally reviewed on 4.11.2010

Poured from a capped 750mL bottle into my tulip glass. The bottle says "Belgian Blond Ale," so I am not sure that this should be called a saison.

When poured with a delicate touch, a big and ample 2-finger head collects atop the caramel coppery body of the beer, even as the beer doesn't reach the convergent/divergent transition in my tulip. Even after the head subsides, a quick swirl recreates the creamy cap that appeared after the pour. Lacing is spritzy and comes in little groups of spotty bubbles.

The aroma is full of brettanomyces funk, but it is unique in my experience, as La Dalmatienne is also characterized by a sweet maltiness in the smell. Sour cherries also come along for the ride. Digging deeper, other fruity esters come through - apricot and pears mainly. There is also, obviously, that barnyard scent that Fantome does so well. The palate brings on a big malty sweetness that is nicely balanced by the bretty funk and slight sourness. The sourness isn't acidic, and is very pleasant. The fruity esters really add a lot to the beer, and they make the malty sweetness find its place nicely.

The mouthfeel is full, but still lightly carbonated, even though there are tons of bubbles that seem to impregnate the entire body. There is a creamy quality to the finish, and the fruity esters and sweetness linger on the palate.

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle marked b/J(#3)(hahaha!)/14. I'm betting that this is fairly fresh. Poured at cellar temp into a Founders snifter.

A - Pours a ruby brown with a thick off-white head. Looks good. Thick lacing remains.

S - !!!! Strawberries, raspberries, light background malts. Really just a burst of fruity aromas. Slight hay and Saison spices. I had the aroma higher, but after a few minutes the smell took on a dirty, musty, sandy water aroma.

T - Tart, unnamed fruity malts upfront, then the raspberry comes through. Some of the traditional Saison spices as well as hay appear in the back 1/2. Mild fruity tartness is from start to finish; nothing abrasive, but like a near-ripe strawberry and raspberry coming together. Nearly perfect.

M - Medium, thicker for the style.

O - I was thoroughly impressed. I didn't expect so much fruit, or any fruit, at all. Strawberries take off and then raspberries take over. This reminds me in some ways of their classic Saison. I'd have to do some digging to find who sent this to me, but I'm beyond thankful. Simply amazing, now I need to pour the rest and take the dogs outside on this hot day.

EDIT - Fantome has been known for batch/bottle variation. After reading some reviews below, I'm certain that this is a great example of the variation.

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Best before 7-2014

750 mL green glass bottle with cap and cork served around 55 degrees into a goblet.

The Dalmation is unusually dark for the style, more of a redish brown color than a golden yellow. Slightly hazy appearance with fizzy off-white head. It settles slowly but doesn't leave any lacing.

Aroma is really stiking and very enjoyable. There is a distinct cherry smell mixed with apples and plums. It has a little of that sour yeasty funk and spice but it's the fruitiness that makes it truly unique.

The flavor is wonderfully complex yet perfectly balanced. There is sweetness up front, a little fruit like in the aroma, then a big spicy hit of pepper in the middle, and finally a very dry finish. It has layers of nuances that seem to unravel as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel is light in body and well-carbonated. The alcohol is evident but not strong. Great balance but very dry.

Overall another fantastic beer from Fantome. I always hesitate to pay the $15 for their beers but I never regret it once it's in my glass.

4.54/5  rDev +14.4%

Originally reviewed 07/31/11, moved over to this profile for obvious reasons.

A mysterious beer, couldn't find much info about this one.

A- Amber-brown body with a fizzy, bubbly head that forms up to a pretty nice size and has decent retention. No lace on the glass once the head fizzes out.

S- A prevalent fruit note that I can't quite name, juicy exotic peach type feel. Citrus fruit, lavender, floral and more fruit notes.

T- Similar to the nose but with more spice and a bit less fruit. The base has a solid Belgian Strong Dark feel. The unnamed fruit, lemon zest, floral lavender, slight hay barnyard, caramel, oak and raisin make for a complex experience.

MF- Fizzy bodied with high, silky carbonation. Some spice bitterness.

A very interesting, unique beer with flavors I have a hard time putting into words. Great fruit with a good Belgian Strong Dark base.

4.59/5  rDev +15.6%

Had to move this review, originally had this sometime during the summer of 2011.

750ml shared by the one, the only, cbutova. Always interested in trying a new Fantome and this one blew away my expectations.

Pours a hazy light brown, off-white head retains decently as a cap leaving spots of lacing here and there.

An awesome, totally unique scent. Sweet, funky, spicy lemonade, grassy fields filled with flowers, weird tartness.

The flavor brings similar uniqueness/awesomeness. Pear, apple, lemonade, flowers, lime, some dark fruit, grassy/hay/yeasty notes balance it out. Slight mint?, unidentified spices.

High carbonation, good full mouthfeel, no booze, refreshing.

With Fantome you always get an experience for sure and this is one of the more memorable beers I've had in some time. Hard to picture this as a winter beer, all the tart light fruit and flowers made this perfect for a summer day.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last