Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver | Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - HiverFantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver

Brasserie Fantôme
fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Fantome's winter offering, available December through March or so. Brewer Dany Prignon changes his receipes every year, so we can't so for sure what this year's beer will be like, but it is sure to please lovers of Dany's beers.

Added by Jason on 02-19-2003

1.32/5  rDev -66.9%

Wow, by far the worst Fantome beer I've ever had, and easily the worst version of Hiver yet. Unfortunately its current rating may be accurate for previous iterations, just not the current recipe.

It literally tastes like someone put out their cigar in a saison. If you've ever chewed raw tobacco, and enjoyed it, this would be your drink. Appearance is decent, and so is mouthfeel, but overall this beer is like a hybrid between chewing tobacco and a tart dark saison.

I can appreciate dark/black saisons, but the tart acidity of this beer does not mesh well with the smokey malt flavor at all. Easily one of the worst beers I've had, ever. I would rather drink a room temperature Corona without the lime.

1.5/5  rDev -62.4%

1.57/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

I was really excited to try this beer, it was my first (and currently only) Fantome. The beer looked great, but unfortunately I seem to have gotten one of the skunked bottles that I have seen many people post about. Both the aroma and the taste were completely dominated by something that I can best describe as burning tires.

At first I though that maybe it was meant to be a kind of smokey saison, but after reading other reviews it is clear that this is not the case. Even if the taste had been intentional (which I am pretty sure it wasn't), it was not pleasant at all and most of it ended up going down the drain.

1.58/5  rDev -60.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.5

Served from a cork and cap bottle. This is the second bottle I have had from this batch; I wanted to give it a second chance after being very disappointed with the first bottle.

A-Hazy light rusty gold color with an impressive froathy head and great retention/lacing. This was the best part of this beer by a long shot.

S-Odd notes of rubber, grass, burnt hair and herbal hop notes. Very odd and off putting.

T- Atrocious. Burning rubber and solvent nail polish remover/alcohol. Chemical, harsh, and just dreadful. I have really enjoyed this one in the past but this batch is a disaster.

M-It honestly is so hard to get past the taste that the mouthfeel is hard to say. Oily yet effervescent and light.

O-Sadly I dropped 17.99ea on two of the worst bottles in recent memory. Will I give Fantome another chance? Of course. They have made so many great beers that it should be chalked up as an aberration. With that said, I will not be purchasing and Hiver till I am certain that the current batch is long gone.

1.62/5  rDev -59.4%

2012 Vintage 750ML Bottle poured into freshly rinsed tulip.

Aroma
Gasoline, Oil, burnt matches and manure. Malt aroma is hidden beneath the phenolic gasoline, I am changing my oil smell and fusel alcohol. Little to no hop aroma is evident. There is a big plastic band-aid aroma between the gas/oil fragrance. There is also a manure aroma slightly evident at the end of the olfactory aroma emanation. Some burnt tire smoke and kerosene. No diacetyl.

Appearence
Pour is dark yellow/straw in color with a slight cloudiness. Head retention is moderate and dissipates quickly to a thin strip of creamy off-white/tan bubbles that cling tightly to the glass and each other. Decent "legs" are noticeable as you swril.

Flavor
There is a light malt sweetness followed by a slight hop bitterness noticeable at the first sip. Oil, gasoline and burnt match take hold from the middle all the way through the finish. Fermentation appears complete and yeast fully attenuated. Alcohol warmth is minimal, but well hidden behind the onslaught of fossil fuel phenols and plastic trash bags. The finish is dry and bitter. Balance is towards malt/phenols. This flavor sticks with you and is relentless in its attack of your senses.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied with moderate to high carbonation and hop bitterness. Alcohol warmth is minimal. Coarse and slightly astringent on the tongue and all the way to the finish. There is a light "slickiness" although this is not diacetyl, more of a "oil slick."

Overall Impression
There really isn't much to say about this brew. Although it could be a specialty ale, I feel that the fossil fuel phenols distract from the entire drinking process. From the beginning to the end, this is a beer that is just either confused or purposely wrong. Could this be a bad batch or bottle? Hopefully that is the case. I will revisit from a different case/bottle and update the review as needed.

***Update***
I tried this brew again two different times from 2 different cases and the result was the same. I am very off-put by this beer. I am a huge fan of Fantome and by no means wanted at all to give this beer a poor review. I was as honest as I could be and tried numerous times to find an answer, but to no avail. If someone has input on this beer, please feel free to BM me anytime! Thanks!

1.75/5  rDev -56.1%

1.86/5  rDev -53.4%

A second go at it. Vint 2013 (prolly)

This is murky and light amber with a solid quilt of toasted cream foam. Smells primarily of skunk and bandaids. Then some soil, hay, clay, shit and leather. Flavor is plastic, bandaid, bitter, well, quite frankly this beer is shit, and tastes like a tack store with manure to boot. Medium bodied with moderate carb and of dry. A really shitty beer.

Reviewed 09/2012
Vint 2012(?) 3.5/3.5/3.5/3/3 - 3.35
Pours amber with diaphany and a solid white surface character. Nose with vanilla, sweet grain I get from most Fantome’s, and plenty of pepper and clay; also a surprsingly skunked character. Sweet flavor with the pepper tones and a sweet grainy character and some clay flavor. Full, over full body with not only a full body (poor for this style) and hi carb and a semi dry finish. Not that intriguing, not that great (at least for what the hunt requires in my life)

2.09/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

750ml into snifter.

A: Pours a deep honey color with a fluffy, huge, whipped egg-white head that very slowly faded into a fuzzy and thick collar.
S: Meaty, savory, smoke fills my nose. I get notes of band aids and maybe a hint of mild lemon and caramel beneath.
T: Dirty dish water, peat, sour old grains, boiled meat, and faint citrus. The finish has a terrible sourness, and the aftertaste is peppery and full of grain.
M: Medium-full body, fluffy carbonation, muddy, sour, greasy mouthfeel.
O: Bad bottles are bad. I've heard of these smoke bombs but haven't encountered one yet. Very disappointing. I will have to revisit this again with hopefully a good bottle as I am not getting any of the flavors other reviewers are describing.

2.11/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Pours out hazy orange with a big overflowing head and lots of bubbles. Smells of blue cheese and smoke. Taste has an odd bitterness with smoke and funky cheese. Body is light and effervescent. Infection?

look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Unappealing mix of spices for me.

look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25