Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver | Brasserie Fantôme

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - HiverFantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver

Brasserie Fantôme
fantome.be

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Fantome's winter offering, available December through March or so. Brewer Dany Prignon changes his receipes every year, so we can't so for sure what this year's beer will be like, but it is sure to please lovers of Dany's beers.

Added by Jason on 02-19-2003

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a golden orange color, lightly hazed with very thin cap of white head. Scent is solid noted of mutsy earth, wood, barnyard, fresh dried hay, moderate spice - almost ceader like with notes of cinamon - quite unique, and a note that best can be described as lake water. Taste is a little more focused then the muddled scent profile... dried hay, barnyard funk and tannic ceader are at the front of the beer, followed by notes of tart lemon, hints of additional spicing such as cinamon and ends musty and damp. Body lacks a little in carbonation, dry finnish. A very nice, unique farmhouse ale - would gladly drink more then the 10oz i had. Bold and complex at the same time as being simple and highly drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a solid orange, cloudy, with a big white head that is rocky but dissipates quickly.

Smells of slightly sweet malt, some apple.

Tastes slightly sweet but dry with some fruity notes (apple mostly). There is a nice hop bitterness that cuts through to give some subtle complexity.

This beer is highly carbonated and dry as a bone in the best way on both ends.

This is a great saison but there isn't too much going on in this to make it THAT great. Also, green bottles lose again...slightly skunked, which really took away from the nose/taste.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 750ml into a RR tulip.

Pours a deep golden color, almost copper. Small head that dissipates quickly.

Smells like musty apple cider with some lemon in there, as well as hay. Pretty refreshing characteristics.

The taste is almost like a muted mead with some spice and drying. Cloves and a slight sweetness up front that moves into a cotton like, drying flavor. Just as refreshing as the smell but I would have liked more of the lemon coming out in the flavor to be honest.

Mouthfeel is medium with low carbonation and a bit of drying.

Overall, a well put together saison. I really like Fantome and this one did not disappoint. Could have used a bit more citrus like flavors in the taste but what can ya do?

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Usual wonderful fantome appearance. Golden straw color with a thin covering of white head. Even with a careful pour there is some yeast in the bottle.

S: Some muted spices. I know it is my mind playing tricks but I think I am smelling snow. Not that much funk really. A touch of mint. It has that Fantome house yeast character for sure.

T: Really a nice saison. It has spices but they never really overwhelm. It almost tastes like the funk turned down on their normal saison and some delicate spices used.

M: Light mouthfeel. Carbonation was quite delicate.

O: Like Cantillon any day you drink a Fantome is a good day. Not my favorite from them but a damn fine beer.

3.71/5  rDev -7%

This is the 2010/11 release...

A: Finally a bottle of Fantome with carbonation. Though I might suggest this is actually overly carbonated. A HUGE billowy white foam tops off a yellow/straw colored beer. As the foam dissipates it leaves a Brussels lace behind. Just a hint of a haze in the glass.

S: Sitting 1.5 feet away I'm getting a strong skunky "Heineken" smell. Up close it's more of a soft belgian yeast which comes through. Very muted as far as fruity notes or really much of anything. This does not smell like its going to be tart in any way.

T: Brett funk no lacto = disappointing. Still its a very nice saison, more typical of the style. Very spice driven beer, earthy and spicy. Tons of carbonation make this difficult to taste as I suspected.

M: Alka seltzer

O: Not my favorite selection from fantome, in fact it may be my least favorite. Which makes it a pretty decent beer.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Can I knock down a point for a green glass for appearance? Of no consequence when the bottle is kept inside a walk in cooler I guess. Brassy colored appearance, maybe a little lighter than that color, head, white, thin. Aroma was a little muted, seemed more yeasty than funky.

Taste, mild elements of that old funk seem on point, but then the beer had a remarkable carbonation that seemed very refreshing and anti-funk. Was shocked to see this was 8%, hid that very well. Kind of a flowery citrus in the mouthfeel. Liked that the yeast flavors were not clovey or too herbal. Dry. A little pricey to really consider having often, but a good beer.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

A ~ a straw colored golden pour, light fluffy head that quickly disappears

S ~ barn yard.. reminds me of our barn when I was a kid.... hayfilled, musty, very funky...

T ~ Great! Bit sweet on the finish, but this one had that funky blend of farmhouse funk & spices going..

M ~ light, bit carbonated...

O ~ One I'd pick up again. Although it's there "winter" seasonal, I think...I could sip this brew all summer long...

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark amber red brown with 1 finger off white head

smell: small funk presence, spicy yeast, dark fruits,

taste: dark fruits, belgian yeast, little farmhouse

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: a nice saison, easy to drink and definitely not your normal 8% beer.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

.75l into a Duvel tulip. The right side of the label is printed so as to mark a best-by date, but this one is unmarked--I've yet to have one that is usefully ticked.

A: A bit of a foamer at first, this fills half the tulip with a large pillow of cloud-like head that takes its merry time settling. Big bubbles leave a ragged edge where the head meets a deep golden body with some haze and evident carbonation. The head coats the glass with a milk mustache as it deflates.

S: Spice, sweat and sour right off the bat, with just a hint of rose-y florid notes.

T: At first, I thought this was dry and a bit alcoholic. Then I picked up a bit of sweet orange, with a very subdued tartness, almost like Grand Marnier or orange marmalade. Otherwise, as with everything I've ever had from Fantome, this hits all sorts of beautiful saison notes, though this is noticeably more bitter than usual, I think.

M: A bit more chew than I expected, but still a fairly moderate body with lots of carbonation. Goes down easy, but not quite sure what makes this wintery.

O: A very good example of the style, as everything is by Fantome. That said, I think I prefer the regular saison to this. Worth the price, however, if you appreciate saisons or want to learn just what high notes this style can achieve.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

My 1600th review.

Pours a beautiful golden color with lots of carbonation and debris, followed by a thick, full head. Wow! Marvelous presentation!

A hint of funk greets the nose followed by spicy yeast and perhaps a bit of plum/raisin as well.

Lightly sweet with clove, plum and spicy yeast to boot. All-encompassing profile with just enough subtlety to impress folks new to the style.

Lots of sweet malt and clove to keep the throat company. Very mellow as well. If it's really 8%, it does not show.

Again, an emphasis on subtlety here. Easy to drink. Easy to enjoy. Despite the expression on ghost-like character, this is a hell of a friendly beer.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

I bought this one back in December over a Schneider's in DC. I guess saisons aren't exactly there for the aging over the long term huh?

A: Very compactly amber color, with a slight off white head that stayed afloat (barely) throughout the session.

S: Filtered water, mild sourness, fruit assortment... almost like granny smith apples. Nice!

T: VERY balanced. I got tons of apple (not necessarily sour ones) and absolutely no Farmhouse funk (to my mind).

M: Carbonated enough for the style, and the lacing was moderate.

O: Expensive bottle ($17.99 in my area), but still I thought this was another great entry from Fantome... one of my personal favs.

4.37/5  rDev +9.5%

Well I just recevied my Fantome Tulip glass in the mail and decided what better way to break it in than buying a Fantome beer. I am pretty new to the Saison style but very excited to try this one out.

Upon removal of the cork there is a huge pop. I think I am lucky I had this beer pretty cold or I fear this may have been a gusher. Poured into the previously mentioned Fantome tulip glass.

Appearance: It takes multiple pours to get a full glass of this beer. I get about a three finger head multiple times. The head is frothy and sticks around for a while. A beautiful yellow/golden color. Can not see through the beer. Plenty of active bubbles.

Smell: While I am very new to the Saison style in particular, I am not new to the funky smell. The nose on this beer is multilayered. I get the funkiness right off the bat, followed by mouthwatering fruity scents, and finished off with that clove-y belgian yeast.

Taste: Very good! 8% abv? Im not buying it. It drinks like a 4% beer. The taste follows the nose, first the funk, next the fruity flavors (maybe contributed by some coriander?), that Belgian yeast finishes off the beer very nicely. Mid palate leads me to believe there will be a very dry finish, however at the end of the sip a tiny amount of tartness and some spicey notes moisten the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, which I suppose to to style. Medium bodied. I think it fits the taste very well.

Overall: Great beer! For an 8% beer it is extremely quaffable. Extremely refreshing. A little on the expensive side. Very enjoyable and certainly worth the try. I suppose the higher price comes with the Belgian beers. I would buy it again, but only on occasion.

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

750ml bottle poured into a large tulip.

A: A slightly darker honey orange color. Good fingers and lacing around the glass. Strong head that lasted for awhile.

S: Sweet, honey, orange, bananas. Very enjoyable to smell.

T: A bit tart to start but finishes quite smooth and pleasant.

M: Good carbonation, medium bodied.

O: Damn good beer.

4.19/5  rDev +5%

Reviewed 2010 and 2011 in one tasting, a remarkable example of batch variation at Fantome. B/c I am essentially reviewing 2 completely different beers and not 2 vintages, the numbered rankings are bit arbitrary, I tried to average out my scores between the 2 beers.

2010:
A - Poured a murky brownish crimson w/ very little head.

S - Leathery and green apple tartness right up front, an aromatic and perfumy beer.

T - More cellar-like dank tartness, dark cherries, apricots, sour milk, woody tannins in the finish.

D - I love Fantome for their lemon-lime house yeasty character, but this one is a stretch from their traditional saisons. I think my buddy said it reminded him more of an English brown ale like Prize Old Ale or Manchestr Star. Beyond that, this was a pretty awesome beer, well rounded, firm, complex from start to finish. I would drink a lot of this.

2011:
A - Poured a thin, straw-like color somewhat turbid golden haze.

S - Sugary fruits like ripe bannana, kiwi, lemon zest.

T - Fresh orange, coriander, yeasty, against a background of cellar-like funk, spritzy and a little champagne like. Mouthfeel was a little thin, washy.

D - Once again, Fantome makes a beer where the house yeast is kind of doing the heavy lifting, very good nonetheless and the way I see it, the farmhouse brewery of Fantome creates aromas and flavors of beers that can't be recreated anywhere else in the world. Love their beers, and the 10/11 Hivers just reinforced that fact.

3.43/5  rDev -14%

A-orange cloudy gold with a thin head

S-good farmhouse funk with a lemon and orange zest. smells fresh. not very complex or unique

T-comes in with faint zest and then a slight aged funkiness that reminds me of cork. then comes an extreme bitterness that doesn't last long. it has an after-taste of burnt belgian spices, but only slightly. very light bodied.

M-low bitter carbonation with a dry finish

D-its unique and complex but I wouldn't necessarily say its a great saison. all of the flavors seems to be fainted. it is however extremely light bodied and drinkable for the ABV. in fact, i'm not sure i've ever had an 8% beer that went down so easily.

4.34/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750 ml green glass bottle with cap over cork closure. Served cool into a Watou goblet.

Hiver has a slightly hazy golden orange color. The head is fizzy and settles quickly and leaves no lace behind.

The aroma is very pleasant. I pick up those wonderful nuances of French and Belgian farmhouse ales - the floral, grassy, and funky notes all come through before I've even taken a sip.

The flavor is a bit of a surprise but a good one at that. It's almost a saison mixed with a little dubbel. There is a caramelized sugar quality that gives it a little more sweetness and explains the color of the beer too. There is a slight bit of sour funk from the yeast but it's mostly lemons, black pepper, and caramel.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body and unexpectedly low in carbonation. I actually prefer beers like this but it's not to style from what I've experienced with saisons.

Overall a really interesting and enjoyable beer. A great one to enjoy on a cool spring evening.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a honey orange color with an inch of white head that fades quickly, leaving no lacing down the glass. Tried to decant, but there is definitely yeast in there.

Smell is bread, yeast, funk, oranges, grapefruit, pepper, and a soapy/parsley flavor.

Taste is yeast, orange, bread, funk, parsley, lightly spiced, and dry on the finish, sort of like a lambic. Has a similar profile to a gueuze, but not quite, very intriguing.

Mouthfeel is moderate, not enough carbonation.

Overall its good, and for the price I found them at ($12), I will probably get a few more.

4.16/5  rDev +4.3%

367th review on BA
bottle to tulip
750 ML Cap & Cork 086/477044

App- Sunshine yellow with a gigantic three finger bell filling head. Pretty slow to recede and open up flavors. Left cling all the way down. Very good looking Saison.

Smell- For the life of me I don't want to say it but this smells like a Gueuze and it has that danky funk with a little citrus. Still smells good just a re-do of aromatics.

Taste- This was very tangy, with a tart backend to it. At 8% this drinks much smaller and it is not noticeable. Has a unique taste for a Saison as I mentioned the re-do of aromatic, this leans with a re-do of taste and is okay but could be a tad better.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a high carbonation level. Was a bit spicy and tart at times and finished a bit dry for me.

Drink- Good beer, I like the re-work of the style to push the boundary. I will probably have this again as I like what Fantome & Dany does with their/his beers.

3.91/5  rDev -2%

A - Crystal gold with a firework display of carbonation. Nice white creamy head.

S - Pepper, butter, ginger, hay.

T - Bite up front of carbonation and booze. Honey into pepper into thyme into radish and back into honey. Nice complexity. Each stage of the profile is clean an distinct.

M - Smooth, medium body. Spicy / sweet finish. Thingly carb.

O - Peppery spice is the dominant flavor, which is both a pro and a con.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Label is not notched, but I am certain this is the most recent release (late 2010/early 2011).
Poured into a tulip.

Appearance- Slightly hazy golden color with a chunky two finger white head. Good retention and a little lace.

Smell- Fairly typical saison nose. Grassy, earthy, lemon, somewhat tart. Light spicing and Belgian yeast.

Taste- Lemon, orange peel, banana, and a subtle honey like sweetness at the onset. Some white pepper and light clove, fairly herbal. An earthy grassiness in the middle, with slight funk. Not too dry, and ever so slightly tart. Lingering perceived flavor is banana, with the essence of honey (not thick syrupy, rather the flavor).

Mouthfeel- Medium / light body, with fairly high carbonation. The 8% is perfectly hidden.

Overall- On the sweeter side for a saison, not quite as dry and crisp as most, but very good none the less. I have a suspicion that this was intentional, as it is the winter seasonal. It doesn't need to be as refreshing or bone dry. Besides that, what else is there to be said, another excellent beer from on excellent brewery!

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Golden in color, cloudy, head subsides and leaves a bunch of lacing in my tulip.

Smells of hay, some definite funk, small hints of Belgian yeast and citrus.

Taste is very smooth, some zesty lemon, finishing with a decent amount of that barnyard taste. Maybe some yeast in the finish. Good flavors, and changing throughout. Alcohol is pretty much undetectable.

Less carbonation and less watery I'd have thought.

A really good beer. I'd perhaps have expected something a bit more for the price, but a really well-made beer nonetheless.

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours hazy light gold with medium white head.

Aroma is farmhouse funk, bitter orange peel. Bright and enjoyable.

Flavor is light lemony citrus, mellow barnyard, pale malt, and a touch of malty sweetness. Light but well rounded and interesting.

Mouthfeel is lively from the medium-high carbonation.

Overall very enjoyable. Felt it was slightly underwhelming for the price. I think there are other saisons that are just as good but can be had for a few dollars less.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

A- Hazy yellow, really cloudy body with about an inch white head.

S- Smells like fresh banana puree and spices sprinkled ontop.

T- Spices are more at the forefront on the palette. White pepper, cloves, orange peel, a very dry slightly funky finish. Very complex.

M- Lots of lively carbonation that keeps the palette alive with curiosity.

D- Abv cannot be detected. This is a great bang for your buck pick this up if you see and skip over all American Saisons.

Poured @ the Avenue.

Pour is orange and cloudy. Can't see through it at all. Head was light and fluffy and bright white.

Aroma was nice and herbal, spicy, lightly grassy and earthy.with tones of citrus.

Taste is peppery, lightly hoppy, earthy, herbal and spicy. There is some nice citrus in there breaking things up and adding some nice balance and depth.

Medium bodied light carbonation crisp and refreshing

Great on the drink. Great price too! If this wasn't the last brew before leaving I would have grabbed another for sure!

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Another Blind BIF #4 invitational from AleWather. Thanks Jeff!

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass.

Pours a hazy, almost cloudy orange with a big, offwhite fluffy head. Head is slow to drop. Lots of lacing potential.

Aromas of light malt, earthiness, graininess. Some funky soul.

Flavor of lemon zest, pineapple, grassy, herbal, spicey, white pepper. This is no American saison/belgian. Strong barnyard funk, that hints of aged cheese rinds. This is old country, not new world. Finish lingers, but not long, with a slight bitterness and funk.

Mouthfeel is medium/light, slightly dry, slightly puckering at the cheeks.

Very drinkable saison. Would love a cellar of this one.

Fantôme Saison D'Erezée - Hiver from Brasserie Fantôme