New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer
Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style BeerNew Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Notes:
Reviews: 215 | Ratings: 412 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Jvcshad:

2.17/5  rDev -20.8%

This beer is hell liquefied. If Satan were to take a piss, that piss would refuse to drink this beer. In fact don't let the word "beer" on the label fool you. This stuff is not beer. By a long shot. Send this to people you hate.

3.59/5  rDev +31%

I had a bottle of this with my fish fry down at the brewery, and chatted a bit with Russ Klisch, the brewmaster, about it. He told me that it was for sufferers of Celiac disease, with renders a person unable to process gluten, ruling out both wheat and barley, and thus, most beer. Apparently 1 in 133 people has it, so this beer may be more of a hit than you'd think. He says that he's received many letters of thanks from people now freed from drinking chardonnay at Packer parties.

Anyway, onto New Grist itself. It's a very pale clear golden color, not especially attractive. It certainly smells and tastes interesting, like a combination of cream soda and tequila, minus the alcohol bite, with a big helping of buttery diacetyl on top that gains in prominence as the beer warms. Definitely one of the odder beers I've had, and quite experimental coming from Lakefront, though less so now that I understand the motives behind it. Still, surprisingly drinkable given the fact it basically lacks the main ingredient of beer.

3.42/5  rDev +24.8%

Another entry from the Lakefront Brewery of Milwaukee, WI. I found this locally at a grocery co-op in single bottles and grabbed two. You can't ever go too wrong with anything Lakefront puts out.
Smell is soft, malty & earthy. Mouthfeel is moderate with a malty, light hop, near sour effect. This never becomes intrusive or overpowering. It is a well-crafted Sorghum brew. Not quite sure how Gluten-Free effects me, but it tastes like a fine beer & that's what matters. It reminds me a little of a New Glarus beer. Natural, earthy, refined but uncomplicated. Seemingly effortless. -sure sounds like a compliment

3.75/5  rDev +36.9%

Ugggh...from the first look and whiff of this brew I knew I was in for a struggle. The things I do for you guys. Poured into a stemmed pils glass it forms a quickly fading loose head that fizzes to a ring. Highly filtered clarity with minimal carbonation. Yellow body.

Sorghum is just a hidious alternative and those that cant have glueton..please don't judge the world of beer after sampling these extract laden brews. Simply awful. Syrupy from the start...not in mouthfeel but rather the sweet "malts" are nastily sweet and sticky. Extremely vinous at times, particulary the start, the middle and the finish....oh wait...it doesn't clean up at all and lingers on the palate for quite some time. Label states this is a "refreshing session beer". How could a dirty, syrupy brew be even considered a session brew? More than one would have to be restricted somewhere in the constitution.

Notes: A terrible wine comes to mind minus the 12%abv. This reveals all of its flaws wether cold or warm. Avoid.

3.35/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.2/5  rDev +16.8%

I think you have to review this as what it really is, a Gluten-free beer. As far as beer, or fruit/vegetable, this beer leaves a lot to be desired. It's low in flavor, has no hop character, and has no head retention. However, as a Celiac beer, it has a pleasant sweet flavor from the sorghum, like light molasses. Its also smooth and refreshing. Its sort of like a craft light beer. I'd take this if someone gave it to me, especially on a sweaty day, or if I became a Celiac.

1.5/5  rDev -45.3%

2.42/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a very clear straw, with an almost non-existent fizzy white head. Pitiful retention and no lacing. the aroma is very clean, mabye some sorghum and rice. The sorghum gives this a root-beer flavored tootsie-pop taste that is quite agreeable, but a ricey adjunct charcter thins the flavor out too much. Decent bitterness in the aftertaste that almost balances the syrupy sweetness, but not much in the way of hop flavor. Carbonation is light-medium and could stand a little more crispness to counter the syrupy medium body. Finish is residual with sorghum, but holds a respectable drinkability.

2.95/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint. Figured I'd try this just to see.

Appearance: Looks like apple cider.

Smell: Smells like apple cider.

Taste: Well, it tastes like some low end adjuncts I've had minus the skunk. To that end, it would be great for a college keg beer. It's got a weird chemical aftertaste though, and it's pretty sweet. Super crisp though. Doesn't really taste much like beer.

Mouthfeel: Italian mineral water.

On taste, this isn't bad and I could see myself drinking it during the summer in place of actual beer if it was super cheap and I wanted to get blasted without any effort. Doubt it's cheap though, I got a single and never caught the mass price. Interesting drink, but I'll probably never have it again. Glad its there for those who would drink it.

3.5/5  rDev +27.7%

Bottle says it was bottled on the 3rd week of September. Hopefully it's September 2006. Served in a mug, the beer pours a clear gold color with a small white head. It smells like apples, grain and a bit of fruityness, like strawberries. It tastes like Boone's Farm Apple wine. There's also a citrusy and grainy taste as well. Mouthfeel is light, but the beer is smooth and refreshing. Drinkability is good too. This is a pretty unusual beer, but I think I could drink it now and again if I was in the mood for it. It's not something I could have all the time.

2.85/5  rDev +4%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date 07/06/2013. My first beer from Lakefront Brewery, a gluten free sorghum beer, labeled as a 'pilsner style beer' on the label. Expectations are fairly low based on this beer's current poor ratings.

Poured into The Godfather pint glass.

A - Pours a sickly pale yellow colored body with lots of bubbles going crazy in the glass. One finger of thin big bubbly white fizz for a head. Tiny powdery sediment floating in the glass. Color is almost more reminiscent of a white wine than it is beer.

S - Smell is pretty light and non-existent, but I'm definitely pulling out lots of fruit, almost strawberry like. Strawberries, lemon juice, and green apple cider.

T - Taste pretty much disappears almost instantly following the swallow. There is subtle slight graininess here, a ricey sort of quality although I couldn't exactly say what it is, some tart green apple cider, and some acidic vinegar. Mildly vinous.

M - Feel is extremely crisp and clean. Hardly any lingering aftertaste of any kind aside from some mild vinous apple cider and some faint alcohol warmth.

Overall, it wasn't harsh or offensive, but there was hardly anything to enjoy about this offering. I give it props for being gluten free and all, but there is poor duration and depth of flavor with this thing. I'm not so sure I would call this a pilsner, but then again I wouldn't call it a fruit / vegetable beer either. An interesting beer, worth trying at least once I suppose.

Lakefront Brewery New Grist ---3/5.

2.46/5  rDev -10.2%

Lakefront New Grist Sorghum Beer
12 oz bottle
Moderate pour in a mug.
Brewed 2nd week February 07, gristled 05/07.

Poured a clear yellow with an average white fizzy head.

Smelt of moderate crisp apples and vinegar.

Taste was upfront strong sour apple cider and acetic white wine vinegar with a light breadiness followed by a moderate sourness and a light but distinct weird grain taste on a short finish.

Palate was light bodied, watery, fizzy and moderately mouth puckering.

Overall, a very odd beer. The grain taste on the finish is very interesting and attracts curiosity, but it's so sour, like a Belgian wild ale. Is this normal? It's very different and I can see myself growing to like it, but not at that price (10.99/6pk). Just weird. Fun to try once in a great while, just for the extremely odd experience.

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%

3.27/5  rDev +19.3%

So I recently read an article about this beer and decided to give it a try. Beer without malt? Here we go...

Pours a thin yellow-gold color. Very translucent, with a light and fluffy head which dissipates quickly and leaves no lace. Looks pretty much like any ordinary macro or "retro" beer; could easily be mistaken for either Bud or PBR just based on looks. The aroma is intriguing, though. Very light and fruity. Could be mistaken for a cider almost. Appley with hints of lemon and pear and strawberry. The taste follows suit as well. Light and airy, with an almost cider-like quality to it. But not unpleasant, and even quite refreshing. Thin mouthfeel. I guess if you were alergic to malt this might be your best alternative in the beer department, although I'm not sure what the other sorghum brews taste like yet (and may never know). Still, if this was available on a hot summer day and I'd been outside for a long time I could see myself reaching for one of these; my options would have to be fairly limited to do so, but I could see myself doing it. Not bad, but probably not something I'll return to very often.

3.4/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured a pale gold with a fizzy head that dropped quickly, looks like an American macro lager, and so my expectations were very low, which may accout for the relatively high score I'm giving this brew because. . . I found it interesting.

Smell is a sharp unexpected acidic twang, reminiscent of some light Belgian ales I've had. Taste is similar to aroma, very simple, a crisp cider-like attack in the mouth, followed by a dry finish.

It's unusual. Not overly complex, and it might get boring rather quickly (I only had the one bottle) but I found it unusual and worth a try.

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%

3.06/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first gluten-free beer. Overall, I can say it was unoffensive, and slightly... well, almost,... maybe, uh...
Let's say it nearly gave a glimpse of something interesting.

A=Crystal clear and the palest liquid ever to venture into territory on the beerside of water. Although lightly carbonated, this beer didn't form a head.

S=There is a bit of cideriness to the smell, reminicent of the hint of acetaldehyde aroma found in a popular beechwood aged product. Beyond that, I get nothing.

T=Flavor is almost nonexistent, this lacked even the maltiness of the lightest lager. However, there is a bit of residual sweetness, which is not unpleasant. There is a very slight tartness that works with the sweetness and is sort of refreshing, or maybe it seems that way because it is sort of like water?

M=Perhaps I'm being generous for a beer that is at best comparable to an American light lager, but I prefer this one's mouth feel to that because it isn't highly carbonated. There is almost no acid burn with this making it more sessionable, more drinkable, if you will, than America's favorite beer.

Overall=Again, perhaps this is generous, but if I had Celiac's, I would be really grateful for this product. I hope more come along in this genre that expand upon complexity of taste and aroma.

3.08/5  rDev +12.4%

2.6/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer is light. It almost looks like a cider. There is no head. The beer is very clear with limited carbonation. The smell is faintly like apples with cinnamon. The taste it fruit like and bland. The mouthfeel is smooth. I could drink this beer again but why? It is virtually tasteless and hard to sort out. Not bad, just plain.

3.45/5  rDev +25.9%

Interesting.

A= golden yellow, small head

S= mild sorghum scent

T= reminded us of a sort of vanilla root-beer and yet it actually did drink like a light golden lager in most ways. Slightly sweet, went down smoothly.

M= clean with almost a light candy-drop hint on the tongue for a while

D= very drinkable

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 65 out of 100 with 412 ratings