New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer | Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

poor
New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style BeerNew Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer

Lakefront Brewery, Inc.
Wisconsin, United States
lakefrontbrewery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by mentor on 10-13-2005

Very bad flavor overall. Even Redbridge was considerably better than this. It reminds me of Foster's and its horrid aftertaste. Except the horrid aftertaste-like flavor is there from the second the beer hits your tongue, and then for a while thereafter it has been swallowed. Stick with Omissions gluten free beer line, or even Redbridge.

Ugggh...from the first look and whiff of this brew I knew I was in for a struggle. The things I do for you guys. Poured into a stemmed pils glass it forms a quickly fading loose head that fizzes to a ring. Highly filtered clarity with minimal carbonation. Yellow body.

Sorghum is just a hidious alternative and those that cant have glueton..please don't judge the world of beer after sampling these extract laden brews. Simply awful. Syrupy from the start...not in mouthfeel but rather the sweet "malts" are nastily sweet and sticky. Extremely vinous at times, particulary the start, the middle and the finish....oh wait...it doesn't clean up at all and lingers on the palate for quite some time. Label states this is a "refreshing session beer". How could a dirty, syrupy brew be even considered a session brew? More than one would have to be restricted somewhere in the constitution.

Notes: A terrible wine comes to mind minus the 12%abv. This reveals all of its flaws wether cold or warm. Avoid.

1.23/5  rDev -54.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

From notes taken 05/03/16:

Straw golden to amber, a little cloudy. White wispy head of weaker retention. This was bottled almost three years ago! I bought it a while ago but it still must’ve been old even then. Shouldn’t have opened it and instead just kept the full bottle for my collection, wish I saw that date a little sooner. We’ll see if Sorghum beer keeps. Shit, it smells like fortified white wine and strawberries! I’ll take a sip and then I suspect I will dump it and buy some fresh if I can find it. Much the same to the taste, but it is making me gag. Not gonna swallow. Light-bodied, highly effervescent but flattens fast. Drain pour. Temporary review in place of fresh bottle. 3.25/1/1/1/1.25

Update from 05/21/16:

Newer bottling. Clear and quite a pale straw gold in appearance. Unfortunately aroma is off from what I think it is supposed to be. Not grainy, bready, grassy or anything like that. Just fairly sour strawberry. Not bad in itself, but really not what you want in most beers. Same to the taste, also a bit of really old white wine, sweet but yeasty and doughy. Extremely breathy aftertaste. And this one only expired in January. Bottled less than a year ago and yet tastes very similar to the one I had that was bottled more like three years ago. Only a little less gagworthy, but I still don’t trust it. I wonder why it is so hard to find a fresh one in this town. Again, light-bodied and effervescent.

1.25/5  rDev -54.2%

1.25/5  rDev -54.2%

1.28/5  rDev -53.1%

Bottle: Poured a super yellow color beer with a small white foamy head with minimal retention and not much lacing. Aroma of light unrefined grainy notes. Taste is quite light with some more or less pleasant notes of unrefined grain. Body is light with medium carbonation. Not need to revisit his one unless I have to stop eating gluten.

1.4/5  rDev -48.7%

While I applaud Lakefront Brewery for trying something experimental, I have to say that this beer is really not good. The smell is barely there but sweet. The flavor is also very sweet, yet strikes me as a cross between flowers and poison... with sugar on top. The taste lingers... oh please stop lingering! I checked the bottle twice for a born on date, as I swore to God that this beered HAD to be spoiled or defective in some way. I bought a six pack out of curiosity and I have to say that this may be the first six pack I ever pour down the drain. Seriously... you can just skip this one all together.

1.5/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden yellow color with a white head. The aroma smells more like white wine than beer with some apples and alcohol. The taste much like the aroma features some sour apples and tastes more like white wine than beer. The mouthfeel is light and extremely fizzy from the high carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty poor offering. Now I understand why malt and/or wheat is so important to beer. Not recommended. This is my second beer made from sorghum, and neither have been the slightest bit enjoyable.

1.5/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.56/5  rDev -42.9%

[Appearance]: Dark golden yellow.

[Smell]: Smells like a bad vodka, horrendous.

[Foretaste]: Nothing but carbonation.

[Midflavor]: Sour wheat.

[Aftertaste]: Super citrusy, lemons galore.

[Overall Flavor]: Horrible, made me sick.

[Mouthfeel]: Watery and high carbonation.

[Drinkability]: Never again will I buy this beer.

personal recomendation: dont buy this. unless your an alchy with a gluten alergy.

1.56/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Easily the worst of the sorghum based beers I've tried.

A: Pale gold color has nice clarity and active carbonation. Even the most vigorous pour didn't net much head. What little head did form was gone in an instant. Left no lace.

S: Very sweet. White sugar, apples, oranges, plus a mild whiff of grass in the background.

T: Tastes like a strange combination of sake and hard cider. Extremely sweet flavor has a strong apple presence, plus a little sweet rice. Hops are almost nonexistent. They add only a tiny amount of flavorless bitterness. Apple sweetness lingers through the finish.

M: Light body is syrupy and has too much fizz.

D: I almost didn't finish this beer. But I paid for it, so I choked it down rather than pouring down the drain. Is it really that hard to make a decent gluten free beer?

1.59/5  rDev -41.8%

Pours a light and clear golden color with a little head initially shrinking to a frost on top. Not much for lacing. Smells like way too buttered popcorn, and nothing else in there, just distracting, with some other odd ass smell in there. Something is seriously wrong with this beer, its just bad, and i can't drink this. down the drain it goes.

1.6/5  rDev -41.4%

Pale straw with a meringue-like head. The head dies down pretty quickly, but leaves a thin layer over the beer that sticks around for awhile. Leaves behind a pretty lace. There's something about it's aroma that I find antiseptic and unpleasant. There's some apple and lemon in the aroma as well. The apple isn't like sour green apple, but more like apple juice. It tastes lemony and sweetish, with only a little bit of apple. There some tartness and harshness to it, and that antiseptic nose seems to affect the palate as well. It really doesn't taste as bad as it smells though. Light-bodied and finely carbonated. Despite being thin and watery, it isn't very refreshing at all. I'm pretty happy I'm not on some kind of gluten-free diet. If I couldn't tolerate gluten, I'd give up beer rather than drink this.

1.64/5  rDev -39.9%

1.66/5  rDev -39.2%

I have no idea what sorghum is, but if you put "beer" on the label, I’m willing to try it. This poured from my 12 oz bottle with a light orange hue, with little activity and a thin white fuzzy white head. This gives an odd aroma .. almost like cinnamon gum, or cough syrup ... not good. The flavor is a tad better, but similarly off-putting ... very medicinal, this reminded me very much of the cough syrup I had as a kid ... like artificially-flavored cherry cough-drops, or something along those lines. (#2663, 1/21/07)

1.67/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.5 A: What the fuck?!!?! Is this beer? This is lighter than most of the BMC lineup. Lightly yellow tinted clear. One finger of frothy white head. The retention is actually pretty good and a good bit of lacing is left behind.

1.5 S: Smells like straight up rice. That's about it.

1.5 T: Tastes like nothing, but is sweet at the same time. At first I kinda liked it, but after a few more sips, I discovered that it's actually pretty offensive. This tastes like ginger ale without the ginger.

2.0 M: Light body. A bit overcarbonated. Too sweet (in a strange way) to be smooth.

1.5 D: Yep, this sucks. No reason to buy this other than to tick it and/or lower your average score.

1.7/5  rDev -37.7%

Ok. Ew. I didn't have any clue what this was when I bought it but it looked neat at the time.

Appearance is atrocious. Pale yellow, no head, no bubbles.

This tastes sorta like a cross between Bud Light, cough syrup and Zima.

The smell? What smell. I couldn't even smell it until I poured it, and well it smells like those fruity aquafina waters.

Mouthfeel is better than the rest of the categories, at least there is a faintly appealing fizz and it's not too heavy or light.

I would never drink this again. I would never drink more than one. If not for the fact that I paid for it, I wouldn't even finish it.

Sure, this all sounds a little harsh so let's say I wouldn't recommend this beer to friends.

1.71/5  rDev -37.4%

This unusual sorghum beer (no barley malt whatsoever) pours a clear bright medium gold color. Head generation is minimal despite a lot of upcharging bubbles. No laces to mention at all. Odd buttered popcorn aroma, some residual sweetness is noticeable as well. Mouthfeel is light, carbonation plenty adequate. This is truly a distinct brew and reviewing it is difficult. It has an extremely artificial butter character to it, even to the point of the burnt popcorn kernels at the bottom of a microwave bag, combined with a sizzling cinnamon and over-applied vanilla second stage to the profile. The finish has a slight lactic astringency that may be similar to sour fermented porridges made from sorghum in some cultures. There's a real granularity in texture here (chalky old-fashioned antacids like Gelusil) and a strange aftertaste with a salty sweetness almost like taffy. It IS unique, but personally, I don't like it all -- practically undrinkable and one of the few beers I've ever regretted buying in a six pack.

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.