New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer | Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style BeerNew Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer
Liked This Beer

Liked:
2.73/5
Alströms:

3.74/5  rDev +37%

Appearance: Poured into glass with little head. Straw yellow color, looks like bud light.

Smell: I've been outside in the cold and can't smell a thing right now. Whatever aroma it has mustn't be very strong.

Taste: If you told me I was drinking carbonated apple juice I would've believed you. It has a unique flavor like apple but slightly different. It is thin, sweet with no hint of hops. The alcohol is well hidden and sneaks up on you by the end of the glass. Can't detect any major faults.

Overall: Not my first choice, but this beer grew on me. It's not a flavorful stout or IPA, but it's not supposed to be. Easily drinkable. First gluten free beer I've ever tried but not bad.

3.25/5  rDev +19%

1.75/5  rDev -35.9%

3.75/5  rDev +37.4%

1.25/5  rDev -54.2%

2.52/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance: This ain't half-bad. There is absolutely zero foam and almost zero lacing. New Grist is also very, very pale, almost clear. But there is something about the carbonation that I like.

Smell: There's something dry that I can't quite pinpoint. Apple? Biscuit? Cookie? Whatever it is, it's pretty decent. Definitely a good whiff of booze as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel: This tastes like Sprite mixed with Bud Light. That's actually the best way I can describe it. Ditto on the mouthfeel.

Overall Drinkability: I was interested to try a sorghum beer. I know that's popular in places like Africa and parts of Asia I think. I'm sure there are good examples, but this one doesn't work.

2.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

For starters, we should not be rating gluten free beers on here because they are not "beers" Reading some of the reviews on here I can clearly see that people are holding these beers at the same level as malt based beers. But because Beer Advocate allows it...heck here we go with an open mind.

A: Pours a light straw colour (very light) Looks like the rice wine I make. Head is thin but there is some nice lacing around the glace.

S: Has a crisp apple smell to it. No hop smells that I can find.

T: Again, crisp apples, roasted rice, bitterness is very low.

M: Highly carbonated, a bit thin.

O: If I were to make a beer that does not have any flavours that resembles malts, or crystal/caramel malts I would try to use a yeast and hops that would give it more character. But this is not the case here. Flavour is lacking, bitterness is none existent and hop flavour/smell is not present.

2.72/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured into standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear, light yellow with one finger of rocky white head after a firm pour, which dissipates quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Mild fruity aroma, with a hint of alcohol.

Taste: A sweet mild maltiness, with a hint of rice. It is incredibly sweet and drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Light body, strong carbonation.

Overall: An acceptable gluten-free beer. However, I feel there are better options such as St. Peters Sorgham or Estrella Daura.

1.74/5  rDev -36.3%

I've been making the rounds on gluten free beers, due to a recent gastrointestinal development. Overall, I've found the market to be a little lacking, and New Grist is definitely part of that "lacking." It's always good to have gluten-free options, but it would be better to have good gluten-free options.

Appearance - drinking it in a bottle, can't see

Smell - Fruity, sherry-like smell to it.

Taste - The best description I can come up with is a malty fruit beer. The mouthfeel (described below) masks most of the flavor. Tip: the taste does improve after aging in the fridge for a couple of months. Maybe it wouldn't hurt for Lakefront to let the beer age longer before release.

Mouthfeel - Too carbonated. It feels like drinking dishwater, or a glass of Korbel champagne. The foam masks most of the taste. This is probably the least desirable part of the beer.

Overall - Pass. If you need a gluten-free option, try a hard cider or Redbridge.

1.89/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Pale yellow, little carbonation, no head, no lacing.

Smell: Mild, mild sweet malt.

Taste: Rice with sugar, mixed sweet candy ground to a powder and sprinkled in water. It reminds me of this grape-like thing to make wine called something like muskeydines.

They otta be ashamed to call this beer even if fruit is associated with it. I'm tempted to remove this review so nobody knows I was stupid enough to drink this.

3.75/5  rDev +37.4%

4.06/5  rDev +48.7%

Best glutton-free beer I have every experienced. The taste was different at first. However, as I continued, the taste became better. When I stood from my chair, I felt a slight buzz. The high alcohol content (5.75%) was a bonus. My wife is glutton intolerant. This is a beer I could enjoy with her.

3.08/5  rDev +12.8%

Reviewed from session notes.

Poured out a clear and transparent pale yellow with a single finger of short-lived foam and no real lacing. Smells (and tastes) mostly of floral hopping tones over a sort of fresh-sliced apple character that gains a tiny sake garnish once warmed up. Sort of thin and watery body, but carbonation is nice and crisp.

New Grist Gluten-Free Pilsner Style Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 6.2% out of 100 with 390 ratings