Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) | Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)
3.42/5
Okay
Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout)

Lakefront Brewery, Inc.
Wisconsin, United States
lakefrontbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

This unique stout combines the flavor of roasted malts and Milwaukee's renowned Fuel Cafe coffee. Pours a deep, dark color with a beautiful creamy tan head.

Coffee aromas dominate the nose, with a background of roasted grain. The fine balance of mild hops, the gentle acidity of choice coffee and the full mouth feel from roasted malt barley make this an unforgettable brew.

Added by Winter on 02-26-2002

firstprev| 976-1000 | 1001-1025 | 1026-1050  | next → last
Ratings: 1,034 |  Reviews: 441
3.77/5  rDev +10.2%

This one is new in our area, so I thought I'd give it a try. Really black with nothing coming through and a small dense head. Aroma is really nice with strong coffee and roasted malt but no noticable hops. Flavor is of coffee and malt that is dry and slightly bitter. Body is maybe a tad thin but pretty decent in my opinion. Overall this is a good stout that's worth a try.

3.1/5  rDev -9.4%

Sampled at From The Vine monthly beer tasting Aug 4th, 2003: I normally like the coffee aspect in many Stouts but in this case it is a little too much. Pours like a cup of cold coffee. Very small beige head and thin lacing. Aroma is coffee, coffee, coffee. A little on the thin and brittle side for a Stout. This is actually leaning toward a Porter in many ways. The coffee flavor is dominant, with a slight roasty malt presence, but you have to search for it. The finish is a little watery and maintains the bitter coffee flavor found throughout. Lakefront really seems to be hit and miss to me.

4.7/5  rDev +37.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My bottle says 'Fuel Cafe - Coffee Flavored stout', but maybe they changed the name? Regardless, this is a beer that one should drink without knowing the name until the end, because the 'coffee flavored' portion of the title is deceptive. Do not expect a distict coffee flavor, but rather a very subtle roasted coffee bean flavor that is detectable to only the most sensitive of palate.

Pours a 2 shades lighter than pitch black with a coffee colored head (one of the few indications of a java presence at all) that is thick and creamy.

The nose is sweet malty, with just a touch of coffee.

Taste is incredibly unique! Reminds me of a german smoked beer with delightful roasted malts and smooth smokey finish. The taste caught me off guard, but is balanced so that the palate quickly adjusts, copes, and then begs for more. This is one to go back to again and again.

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Color is very dark brown, nearly black as coffee, hmmm....that means something here. A super nice light chocolate brown colored head that faded to fast and has some spotty lace. Smell is faint of black coffee and darkened malts a bit chocolatey. Light coffeeish taste, dark and earthy and espresso-like, just lightly flavored enough for interest but is pretty thin and lacking in length. Some coffee-like dryness and very light hop dryness as well. Feel seems to light, I needed more body and heftyness. Its a little to quick to end, I wanted more body and longer lasting effects and flavors.
It's a nice light stout, not bad, not great, so so, could be better I think.

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%

Color: a dark black, head: thick, brown and frothy. Aroma, however, starts a downward trend: surprisingly clean, at first, later revealing nuts, some chocolate, slight coffee, and roastiness unfolds with time. Does this one need to "breathe"?
No,..that didn't work, either.
Very smooth on the palate, with nice little appearances from hops. Good texture, nice play on the tongue, big, fat malt.
A decent stout, that I'll give you, but where's the coffee already?

2.68/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Fuel City Coffee Stout: Cripes, I hope there is no caffeine in this, cause its awful late. This is a black beer, not mahogany, black. Decent deep brown head shot up several inches, but settled down to a cream colored head fairly quickly. Hmmm, this coffee stout tastes a lot more like the grounds than the brew. The aroma ain’t bad, the taste just is not there. This beer is very light bodied as well, which is not a compliment. Fey.

This is a black beer. It is a bit charged. Deep, thick, dense, creamy brown head. Nice chocolate aroma with slight coffee too. Very creamy mouthfeel. Nice lace forms as I drink. There are subtle tastes of blackened malts and java. There's a nice bittersweet chocolate aspect to this brew I like. Medium to full body and very easy drinking for a stout. Good coffee stout, but I wouldn't say it is great.

3.01/5  rDev -12%

Overall, I am a bit disappointed in this beer. When I drink a specialty beer, I want to strongly taste the "Specialty" part. This just doesn't pack much punch for a coffee stout (Kalamazoo's Java Stout is considerably better)..this one pours nicely...midnight black with a redish/brown creamy head. The aroma is a bit odd...There are some coffee tones but also almost a spoiled egg smell...There is none of that (spoiled egg) in the taste, but then again there isn't really a huge amount of taste to this. It is definitely on the drier side...and it is thinner than I expected. The taste is a cocoa base with some subdued coffee notes. I expected much more coffee on the nose and the buds. I'm not big into coffee stouts to start with but when I have one I expect more. I would not purchase this one again.

4.64/5  rDev +35.7%

Thick black with a brown wispy head. The smell is AWESOME with a dark roasted coffee smell upfront, mingled with roasted malt and some slight yeast and hop aromas. The coffee wasn't overpowering, but it was there, and very pronounced, but still allowing the heavy roasted malt character to come through. A medium hop bitterness cleaned up my palate, but still left some roasted coffee flavor behind. This stout has a thick and rich feel, near-perfect carbonation. I must have more of this stout...

firstprev| 976-1000 | 1001-1025 | 1026-1050  | next → last
Fuel Cafe (Coffee Flavored Stout) from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.42 out of 5 with 1,034 ratings