Big Easy Imperial Maibock | Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

good

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Added by Bierman9 on 02-02-2003

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

3.08/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 12oz standard pressure-cap bottle into a pint glass in high elevation Kalispell, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- Two-finger white head with low retention rate. Orange-brown body, high clarity. Not a great looking beer.

S- Has a gingerbread and malty tone. Lager sort of crispness, but dark notes as well. Booze doesn't really play a factor like I thought it might.

T- Rich maltiness, some hints of alcohol and molasses. Not a bad flavor, but not very complex or rich.

M- Thick bodied with buzzing carbonation.

O- About average brew. It's not a super easy drinker though.

2.75/5  rDev -21%

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

2.75/5  rDev -21%

3.37/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thick, creamy white head sits atop a honey amber body. Sweet, grainy aroma. Taste follows the aroma with the addition of a soothing bitterness at the finish. Medium bodied, semi-dry finish.

A rather rich maibock with emphasis on the malt components. Fairly sugary with a decent hop presence to counterbalance things. The alcohol presence is there but fairly subdued. Overall, it looks and smells decent enough, but I think the flavors are a little over-the-top and slightly out of whack as far as balance goes. Would I have another one? Sure. But I would be open to checking out other options if available.

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

"Mystery Beer" at Green Dot Stables in Detroit for the week of February 24th. $3 for a bottle. Bottled in November 2012. Since I had it straight out of the bottle...

1.) I won't bother going over the appearance.
2.) I won't be able to really give this beer a fair shake.

Smell: It's your typical maibock. It has a sort of "dusty" and dirty malt aroma with plenty of sweetness at the end of each whiff.

Taste/feel: Follows the nose, for sure. Has that gritty malt flavor, but a perfect amount of sweetness.

Brief review, and probably not a very accurate one (I was already three deep on an empty stomach), but I feel my ratings probably aren't very far off. Not necessarily something I'd seek out again, but definitely something I'd try again.

3.51/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - slightly hazy garfield orange 1 finger of white head that dissipates quickly. No lacing

Aroma- some orange zest honey caramelized malts. a slightly bread-y yeast smell faint apple.

Taste- slight oxidized gives way to roasted malt character, toasted bread and slight graham cracker.Hops are herbal but clean up nicely in the finish.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied with a little bit of a coating effect medicine-y. Really kind of fizzy.

Overall- despite how my description sounds it is not a terrible beer. I think I may have just got an older bottle of it. The nose is great, I am used to a darker Maibock though. The hops clean up nice in the finish I think the slight medicine taste probably comes from a higher alcohol content, which isn't a bad thing in the slightest. I would order another but only in the tasting room.

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

3.36/5  rDev -3.4%

Mild & light, refreshing. I could see myself drinking on a hot summer day on the lake, but I give it an overall average. I would reccomend to anyone who likes a lighter beer, or if you are looking to cool off. 7% abv, its a good way to get the old lady hammered too. Idk hard to come up with enough characters for average brews.

3.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle from 11/14/12 poured into pint glass.

A: Clear orange/amber with one finger off-white frothing head.

S: Nose is spicy, a bit fruity (grape? fig?), and there's a touch of alcohol.

T: Malt dominated taste profile. Lots of caramel and biscuit. Some dark fruit lingers near the end as well as a noticeable alcohol profile. Fairly powerful spicy hops stick around, too.

M: Smooth and creamy. Extremely easy to drink.

O: A good, quaffable maibock. The alcohol profile in the taste is a bit high, but it doesn't detract too much from the overall taste. Not a bad way to go for $7.99 for a 6-er. I love maibocks and Lakefront Brewing. When these two come together, the result is quite good.

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

Big Easy Imperial Maibock from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.