Pumpkin Lager | Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

good
Read the review
Pumpkin LagerPumpkin Lager

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices

Added by maxpower on 10-03-2002

2.76/5  rDev -19.5%

2.76/5  rDev -19.5%

OH snap, B- review. Well, I've had some surprises with that before. But this being a lager, not sure. But I have to continue my pumpkin beer quest. I poured this into my DFH pint glass, and I almost feel like I'm shaming DFH, but let's see.

A: Pours a decent airy and bubbly head, about 1/2 a finger that quickly fades to a light covering. Another brilliantly clear offering with a pale orange light toasty brown color. Very few bubbles rise to the top and let the head fade to dust.

N: Yep, just as I thought, a sweet pumpkin aroma with lots of spice, and almost a creamy syrup and vanilla. Lots of pumpkin and syrup and spice blanket the nose.

T: Taste pretty much confirms the nose, with the start of a sweet extract like styrupy taste containing some pumpkin extract flavors and some spices. The spice isn't as bad as I thought it would be. The syrupy extract like tastes and pumpkin flavors make it very run-of-the-mill. I don't get much for lager tastes either, and def not much for hops or bitterness. It's pretty sweet too.

M: Syrupy and light carbonation.

F: Still semi sweet, and leaves a weirding syrup taste that doesn't go away as quick as you would like. But, it's not too bad on the finish. Not very refreshing, crisp, or light as you would expect from a lager.

Final thoughts: Pretty boring pumpkin beer, with light tastes, lots of syrup like tastes and flavorings, semi sweet, low carbonation, low spices at least, and it's so called lager but I really don't get much for lager tastes or crisp refreshingness.

2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear amber orange with 2+ fingers of poofy brite-white head. Fizzles down pretty quickly into just the thinnest coating of foam. I'm not even a 1/3 of the way through the glass and it allready looks lifeless. Nice retention there. The aroma is waaay overspiced smelling. This is literally hurting my nose as I sniff it. There's some residual sweetness and floral hops back behind all of the spice but they barely make a dent in this bouquet.

The taste comes off to me as way too sweet, tangy, and once again overspiced. There's some green pumpkin taste back there as well but man, I can't get this tanginess out of my mouth! Them mouthfeel is medium bodied with a more viscous feel and lower carbonation that does the taste profile zero favors.

Well, as you can see, this didn't work for me at all. Way too overspiced and cloying at times. Maybe if there had bit a bit of Lager like crispness, this would have gone down easier but nope. I won't be visiting this again.

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle from the 2013 seasonal release. Poured into a Founders snifter today, 10/2/2013.

Pours a clear amber hue, perhaps more of a copper hue in the right lighting. Not much of a head, which is white and disappears into almost nothing immediately. No lacing either.

Lots of spices (especially nutmeg) in the nose and not much else.. maybe a little bit of pumpkin filling. No yeast or malt sweetness anywhere.

Tastes similar to the nose, still there is a decent caramel sweetness that underlies the pumpkin and nutmeg. A little bit of that different spice flavour that I recognize from most other lagers, which I assume is the lager yeast's contribution.

Typical lager mouthfeel, a bit thin but that's about right. I think this beer is undercarbonated though.. A bit sticky and dry. Nothing special. Kind of refreshing, but at the same time the spice flavour profile kind of makes this a hard one to finish for me.

This is a fairly decent pumpkin beer, no more no less. I wouldn't buy this again.

2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured a cloudy golden-orange color, aroma of cinnamon and pumpkin. Small white head that doesn't last, not much lacing either. Pumpkin , ginger, cinnamon and butter bread flavors, Medium body body with a buttery mouthfeel, finishes pretty sweet, I had a tough time finishing the bottle.

2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours like tea. Dark orange, minimal carbonation.

Smells like cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Aggressively spicy, and pretty generic. It's nice but not really even pumpkiny, just spicy.

Tastes like it smells. Not exactly bland, not exactly boilerplate, but not exactly well-brewed. It's all spice, only those spices are inexpertly measured and there's none of the tangy or mellow pumpkin nodes of other such brews to cut into the aggressive cinnamon and nutmeg nodes.

It's like a pumpkin pie baked by a middle school home ec class. It's edible, since it's pumpkin pie and honestly I'd eat pumpkin pie that had been dropped on the floor. But the seasoning hints towards a complete lack of experience on behalf of the people who baked it, like they just raided the spice cabinet and started pouring things in all willy nilly.

2.8/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Dense two-finger head, off-white in color. The beer itself is amber-orange that is unique among pumpkin beers. No lacing that clings to the sides, but a thin ring of bubbles around the glass.
S: Sweet, musty, pumpkin-like smell with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. No detectable hop scents, though the brewery claims Hallertau are used.
T: Unsubtle yeasty, pumpkin flavor upfront, joined with malt sweetness and followed by cinnamon and clove tastes. After taste of weak cinnamon red hots, somewhat artificial.
M: Perhaps a bit over-carbonated for the light to medium body with an otherwise smooth texture. Slightly dry in the finish, likely from the hops, yet no detectable hop bitterness.
D: Average to slightly below average pumpkin beer. This is a lager and not an ale, so the brewery is trying something different here. It's too bad the results aren't that spectacular.

2.83/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.86/5  rDev -16.6%

bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. pours a lightly hazy amber-orangish color with a finger and a half of eggshell colored head that retains moderately and leaves no lacings.

aroma is spicy, with nutmeg and allspice notes, as well as a pumpkin-like base and distant notes of vanilla and some caramel. overall, quite spicy without much for malt or hop notes. a bit of caramel malt character comes out after a bit of warming, but it is overpowered by the spice.

taste is more of the same with a distinct spiced character that hinders the drinkability and palatability. the brew is heavy on the pumpkin spice and discounts the pumpkin flavors and malt notes to produce an overly-spiced brew.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a sharp and spiced texture and a finish of residual nutmeg and light caramel malts.

drinkability is decent. any BA who loves pumpkin pie spices will like this brew, but for those looking for a balanced pumpkin beer, this is not good. pumpkin beers should be treated like ESBs, where it is all about balance. too many end up as over-spiced fall beers that are not very drinkable, and this is no exception.

2.87/5  rDev -16.3%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Poured fizzy and soda-y with light head that dissipated down to almost nothing with no lacing. The color is copper to amber and very clear.

Aroma: The aroma is initially very nice with plenty of spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. There is some pumpkin aroma, but mostly spices. The aroma fades after a while in the glass, but the first impressions are again very nice.

Mouthfeel: This a light and fizzy soda-like drink. I am not generally a lager fan, so it is difficult for me to comment on the mouthfeel vs. how it is SUPPOSED to be, but I didn't like it. It felt thin with harsh carbonation.

Taste: The pleasing aroma doesn't carry over to taste. I tasted very little to no pumpkin and minimal spice. The carbonation again was a big minus for me. It's pretty dry with a hint of sweetness, but overall kind of sour (not bitter in a hoppy way). The aftertaste doesn't linger but that is good because it is rather sour.

Overall impression: This was my first pumpkin beer (and my first attempt at drinking a beer for a review -- I joined a review group and pumpkin beer was first on the agenda)) and I will say it was interesting. The initial aroma was far and away the highlight for me and I found it less enjoyable as I went along. It is definitely more pumpkin PIE than straight pumpkin, but that may be standard for this type of brew. I am a big fan of pumpkin pie, but had never had the desire to try a pumpkin beer. While I probably won't pick this one up again, it WAS enough to get me interested in trying other pumpkin beers.

2.88/5  rDev -16%

pours hazy orange with a 1/2 finger head that left no lacing

smells more like xmas (allspice) very little pumpkin

taste - this beer is more anchor xmas ale than most pumpkin brews - the aftertaste is the only time the pumpkin shows up

mouthfeel is light with no carbonation

drinkability is not good since there are plenty of other good/great pumpkin beers

2.89/5  rDev -15.7%

12oz. Bottle

Poured a hazy light orange. Small head that faded to almost nothing.Looks really watery. Some sediment floating around along with carbonation coming up from random places. After a few sips head did fall to nothing.

Smells of clove, nutmeg and it seems like a touch of cinnamon. I smell a funky yeast in there as well that I associate with an ale. Smells kind of interesting. Can't make up my mind if I like it or not.

Has the taste of a mulled cider but at the end I pick up the yeast maybe? A little twang. Not much pumpkin if any though. Which is a little disappointing considering what it is.

The mouthfeel is a on the light side of medium. Leaves my mouth a little tingly but it's just average.

I'd probably only drink one of these. It's an easy drinker but being as plain as it is and the spices present I couldn't see myself drinking more than one.

Overall this beer is about as average as you can get. I was hoping for a little more. I always get excited for the seasonals but this was a let down. For some reason this beer drinks more like a cider. Every drink I take I seem to think it needs to be heated up and a cinnamon stick thrown in it. Worth a try if you can just buy a single bottle.

Slainte!

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

12 oz bottle. Brewed not a week ago.

It pours a clear orangeish gold with a foamy off-white head htat leaves some rings of almost ghost-like lace.

The smell isn't that great in imo. It is pickly and vegetal. It is just the wrong spice/veggie combo for me.

The flavor is better. It has notes of cinnamon and spice. The pumpkin is subdued and the malt gives a crust flavor. Really tastes like Pumkin Pie, not exactly, not even close but as close as I have tasted in a pumkin beer. The added hops are nice.

I am not a fan of this beer style, it seems like it is just some novelty that grew out of proportion but this isn't bad.

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Had this in a bottle poured into a glass.

Appearance: Perhaps the most impressive part of this beer and that should tell you where the rest of the review is going. Dark coppery color, reminds me of a dark apple cider in look. The bubbles streaming to the top would suggest a lot of carbonation and while there is some head, it dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Hardly anything to report here. Kind of a sweet smell to the beer.

Taste: Good, clean and not much if any after taste. The whole of the beer has this light feeling to it, and perhaps that is what you are looking for in a pumpkin beer. I wanted a little more out of it. I would recommend this for a football game tailgate.

Mouthfeel: Despite the presence of clearly a lot of carbonation, doesn't actually overwhelm you. Like I said above, clean crisp beer.

Overall: I wouldn't recommend this one for someone looking for the ultimate pumpkin beer. But if you wanted a taste of the season without getting full, then this would be your beer.

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

Having a bottle that's a couple years old so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. Very slight pop when opened and small tan head that quickly disappeared and no lace. Color is a hazy orange amber with a little sediment. Aroma is pumpkin pie spice with some natural pumpkin and malt. Flavor is like aroma but with some sour. Beer is turning/turned. Body is ok but carbonation is going flat. Finish is like flavor. I've had these fresh many times before and they're much better.

2.91/5  rDev -15.2%

Pumpkin lager? OK.

A: Fairly clear copper color. Poured with a finger of white head that quickly dissipated.

S: Really tight nose for a style that is supposed to be very fragrant. Nutmeg jumps ahead of the other spices though.

T: Its a weird mix of lager and pumpkin spices. The first sip was over the top but after that it toned down. Has a nice sweet finish. I don't know why a pumpkin beer has a sweet finish but it does.

M: Nothing to really add or take away from this beer.

D: Glad I only grabbed a single of this. Much better pumpkin beers out there. Not terrible just not something I would seek out again.

2.92/5  rDev -14.9%

2.93/5  rDev -14.6%

Appearance: Bright orange. Little to no head. A chill haze dissipated rather quickly. Lacing is nonexistent.

Smell: Nice sweet cinnamon. Some nutmeg, allspice, and the rest of the usual suspects. A touch sweet, but it's got that lovely combination of real beer with pumpkin thrown in for extra measure. A nice balance of grassy, sweet malts and pumpkin. Faint touches of real pumpkin come through as well. Particularly heavy on the cinnamon.

Taste: Sharp bit of spices. Cinnamon assaults everything, adding a spiciness that is rather unexpected. Loads of cinnamon. Nutmeg rounds out the back. After some warming, the spices take another jump up, but the malts add some sweetness, attempting to balance out the spice. It almost works, but falls short in the long run. A touch bready, almost crusty with some grassy notes in the back of it all.

Mouthfeel: A little thin with a slightly high carbonation. It definitely drinks like a nice crisp lager. A little dry, but never aggressively so.

Overall: Lager + pumpkin = interesting combination. The crisp nature coupled with the fall spices plays out like an homage to summer gone and fall coming. It's stuck somewhere in the middle of good and meh.

Pumpkin Lager from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.