Pumpkin Lager | Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

Pumpkin LagerPumpkin Lager

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices

Added by maxpower on 10-03-2002

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured bottle into weizen glass

A- Although this is a lager, there is some color. It is a dark amber color with a light orange hue. There was a half to 3/4 inch head that billowed up and was very bubbly and carbonated. If there was a category for sound...this one would get loud while there is still head. For two minutes it fizzled until fading out.

S- This smells just like pumpkin pie. I have a slice I am about to eat and I am comparing the two by smell. After the head faded, it smells a bit more like a lager beer. But notes of pumpkin pie spices (allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger) are present, gingerbread cookies.

T- Taste is pleasant: cinnamon, pumpkin pie, pumpkin, slight spices, but finishes with a crisp taste associated with a lager (IMO). Not overly spicy, pretty well balanced.

M- Clean, crisp, refreshing, prickly, well carbonated, but not too carbonated. Not too heavy. Quite thin, but it seems to work with this beer.

O- This is actually much better than I thought. I had a beer tasting the other night where eight of us sampled 21 pumpkin beers. This was the onl;y lager and I was very surprised. I am drinking a full serving tonight and enjoying. I expected a Molsen Canadien that tasted like it had allspice and nutmeg mixed in. I was very wrong. This can stand up to the ales, and in some cases beat them any day. Try this, it is a different approach, but a good one!

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.24/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle from the 2013 seasonal release poured into a standard pint glass.

Pours a clear rusty orange. Very little lacing and a quickly disappearing white head.

Nutmeg and cinnamon in up front in the nose, not much for pumpkin in the aroma.

One thing that makes this pumpkin stand out is the notice yeast strain taste that underlies the spies. Definitely more of a spicy pumpkin beer, I do much get much for the sweet or full pumpkin taste found in other beers.

Very dry mouthfeel - not much to it really. Flavors fade fast.

Average pumpkin beer - I don't think I would purchase this again.

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

2.8/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle from the 2013 seasonal release. Poured into a Founders snifter today, 10/2/2013.

Pours a clear amber hue, perhaps more of a copper hue in the right lighting. Not much of a head, which is white and disappears into almost nothing immediately. No lacing either.

Lots of spices (especially nutmeg) in the nose and not much else.. maybe a little bit of pumpkin filling. No yeast or malt sweetness anywhere.

Tastes similar to the nose, still there is a decent caramel sweetness that underlies the pumpkin and nutmeg. A little bit of that different spice flavour that I recognize from most other lagers, which I assume is the lager yeast's contribution.

Typical lager mouthfeel, a bit thin but that's about right. I think this beer is undercarbonated though.. A bit sticky and dry. Nothing special. Kind of refreshing, but at the same time the spice flavour profile kind of makes this a hard one to finish for me.

This is a fairly decent pumpkin beer, no more no less. I wouldn't buy this again.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

Pumpkin Lager from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.