Pumpkin Lager | Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

good
Read the review
Pumpkin LagerPumpkin Lager

Availability: Fall

Beer Brewed with Pumpkin and Spices

Added by maxpower on 10-03-2002

3.84/5  rDev +12%

I've had many a pumpkin brew, but this is my first pumpkin lager. I was hoping it offered something more than all the lighter boring pumpkin ales that are popping up everywhere, and I was decently surprised.

A - A somewhat hazy, copper color. Poured a decent head, but dissipated fairly quickly.

S - Smells of nutmeg, cinnamon, hint of apples, and a very faint pumpkin.

T - Has similar flavors of most pumpkin beers, like the spices and pumpkin flavor, obviously. But it also has a good malt sweetness and balance to it. Tastes more like a decent octoberfest with a pumpkin twist, which is why I like this beer more than most regular pumpkins.

M - Has more body than most pumpkin beers I've had. Carbonation is just enough, not overwhelming.

Overall I would drink this beer again. Not great in the same light of a lot of imperial pumpkin ales, but pretty damn good as far as a lighter pumpkin brew goes.

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%

3.29/5  rDev -4.1%

I’ve had quite a few pumpkin beers, but never a lager version; here’s hoping it’s not just more of the same.

Brewed a month before the date of this tasting (“Bottled during WK3 August”).

A: Not too appealing: a light yellow-orange body with a fizzy, fleeting head. Within seconds, the foam that is hardly above a half-inch in height is gone. No lacing.

S: Lots of spice, but not a lot of pumpkin foundation, making its major character cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. A bit floral, too, with tannic malt unfolding some black cherry and graham cracker on the back end. Toward the end, there is a bit of pumpkin, but it’s definitely not big.

T: Cracker and lager yeast are the most prominent flavors from first sip to last, though there’s a solid hit of spicy nutmeg flavor at the front. That’s followed by a touch of odd bitterness, like a drop of soap had suddenly found its way into the bottle: it’s artificially astringent. Unfortunately, that carries on to the finish, with some cinnamon afterthoughts. I’m guessing the strange bitters are a result of over-spicing.

M: Very average; doesn’t take anything away from the beer. Creamy, but thin.

O: A middle-of-the-road attempt at a seasonal style; it doesn’t really make me want another, and to be honest, it’s not making me crazy about seeking out other Lakefront beers. I’ll probably keep my eyes open for some though, especially their IPA – I heard it's worth a look.

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

2.33/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is exactly what a lager is in respect to smell and taste. The appearance was close to a light orange/dark gold consistency. The beer had little aromaticity in regard to the being a pumpkin beer. I caught a hint of some spices. I honestly would expect to be able to smell the pumpkin or some floral/nutty undertones. This beer did not have that aspect. The taste was like a smooth a normal lager style beer. It didnt have much bite back and was very smooth. Overall, I just wasnt impressed with the beer itself. I think pumpkin beer should at least have scent and taste of pumpkin.

3.37/5  rDev -1.7%

Nice to see Lakefront beer in my area now.Poured one and a half bottles into a 1/2 liter stein,deep burnt orange with almost no head to speak of,just a thin off white sheet.Alot of spice in the nose,mainly cinnamon and cardamom I pick up,not much different than many pumpkin beer out there.Spiced with a dryer than expected malt base wich kept the sweetness in check but the finish lacks any real depth.Alot of cinnamon flavors but the thinner feel to the beer actualy keeps it from being overbearing,in saying that it's pretty average and light.

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

3.88/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance - Golden Yellow, a little hazy. White fizzy head, doesn't trail off too quickly. I'm intrigued by this one. Looks Good.

Smell - This smells sweet, maybe a little citrus, some honey. Pumpkin is there but not obtrusive.

Taste - Light, crisp, and a little sweet. I swear I'm tasting honey here, but I might be off. The pumpkin is coming through just right. I taste clove and nutmeg. The 6.0% abv is pretty up front in this one, but it's not a bad thing

Mouthfeel - Great mouthfeel, it's a little carbonation heavy for a second but finishes nicely, which is what I expect for this style. Really enjoyable.

Overall - Really like this one. It delivers what I want in a pumpkin lager. The pumpkin and spices are there but they aren't overpowering. It all sits very well. This is clean, refreshing and very drinkable. I'd certainly pick this up again.

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Standard golden orange as I recall. Decent foam and lacing.

Smell: More pumpkin spices. A bit mellower than HornyCopia. Still good though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Mellow spices, particularly cloves. Thinner than HornyCopia, but still pretty tasty. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and cloying at the end and there is a vinegar-like sourness.

Overall Drinkability: Pretty good. Started out better than HornyCopia, which I was sampling along with this. Lacked a good finish.

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: half finger head, minimal retention on a hazy amber with slight golden hue body.

S: mild aroma for the style with mostly pumpkin pie and some spice.

T: spices, caramel, pumpkin pie and fresh pumpkin. Not as sweet as some of the others in the genre.

M: medium body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: I tried about 5 or 6 of these over the last few days and they all run together and seem to taste the same with subtle differences. This is on of the more bland ones, but still just another pumpkin beer.

3.39/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Got this beer as part of another mix a six, and I did judge it by the cover so I'm hopeful.

A: This pumpkin beer pours a dark reddish/orange color with a very thin head that dissipates quickly.

S: Aroma is of cinnamon, spice and pumpkin peel with a hint of dark brown sugar on the back end.

T: Up front the flavor brings significant amounts of cinnamon and sugar, pumpkin spice is present through the middle of the flavor and ends with a tangy spice.

M: Beer hits the palate with a sweet, flavorful, pumpkin texture that is followed by all the sugar and spices that make up a pie.

O: Pretty good pumpkin beer, probably overlooked due to the lack of art work and familiarity with the brewer. But this beer is spot on for the season purpose, not the best pumpkin, but far from the worst.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

I poured thsi beer into a pint glass, it has a nice deep, rich coper color body, with a small tannish head that hanged around for a little while. The aroma is mainly pumpkin pie spices with a little bit of pumpkin flavor. The taste is almost like a pumpkin pie but has a little more malt flavor towards the bakc of the tongue. The mouth feel is good and overall a decent pumpkin beer.

Pumpkin Lager from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.