Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Pumpkin Lager Beer | Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Pumpkin Lager BeerPumpkin Lager Beer

Added by maxpower on 10-03-2002

Reviews: 257 | Ratings: 638
3.16/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - light orange caramel color with a little to no head or lacing

Smell - light nutmeg smell, but nothing over the top

Taste - very light beer with very subtle spice flavor

Mouthfeel - this is best quality for this beer. Nice spice flavor ends as the beer easily leaves the mouth with minimal carbonation.

Overall - not a bad fall pumpkin beer, but perhaps if it wasn't a lager some of the spice smell and flavor would be stronger

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'm liking this a lot. A cloudy caramel color, a taste of pumpkin pie spice and pretty sweet. Medium bodied, light carbonation, overall quite enjoyable and maybe my mass-market favorite.

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange-red, totally clarified, with a waifish head that fizzles away quickly. On the nose you've got cinnamon first and foremost. If you really get in there it's like a stick of Big Red. Underneath that is that is an earthy, leafy aroma. Smells sweet and spicy. Man, you can really taste the pumpkin in this, and the spice, and I think I'm getting the alcohol coming through pretty prominently for...what is this, a six? Sweet and a little malty otherwise. Nice mouthfeel, good flavor but light and refreshing - I think you could have a few of these without getting burnt out. I like this one quite a bit, really goes down easy. Not like an amazing pumpkin beer, but worth picking up for the season. I'll probably buy some more while it's out!

3.37/5  rDev -1.7%

There's a nice color in this, a deep, clear amber that almost looks like an Oktoberfest. It's initially foamy, but this dissipates rather quickly and is mostly made-up of large bubbles. Rather poor quality carbonation. I've read other reviewers of pumpkin beer mention this phenomenon, and have to wonder if the pumpkin has something to do with this as well.

This has a terrific aromatic mix of pumpkin, cinnamon and little nutmeg, like what one would expect in a pumpkin beer. A minor downside is that these spices somewhat overwhelm any malt aroma.

As with the aroma, malt flavor is overwhelmed by the spices. The finish is a little too sweet for my preferences. I don't catch any hops at all this brew, which may be ok, given the amazing mix of other spices.

Mouthfeel is a little thin underneath, but at the same time the finish is thick and a bit too sweet. Interesting, but I can't say that I really like this combination.

The drinkability of this beer is decent on its own, but only if you like lots of spice in your beer. My drinkability score is based purely on its solitary attributes, but I have to add an important footnote
related to food and beer. Like many unique Fall flavors, the taste of pumpkin is something that's best put with other flavors and especially in the case of this beer...food. A second round of tasting this beer for me included a dinner with squash soup and mix of sour cream, cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon in the soup. For obvious reasons the beer
and soup made a fantastic combination that would have warranted a 4.0-4.5 rather than a 3.0. Brewpubs should offer this mix of food and beer as a special for the month of October.

The weakness here is we got a lager. This is better than the average lager, but the lager has weaker flavor compared to the good ale pumpkin beers. However, this would do in a pinch. I would like this beer on a hot summer day. It's very refreshing. Goes down well with summer jazz fest music like Joe Zawinul music.

3.37/5  rDev -1.7%

Picked up a sixer of this stuff at Civera's deli and just had to try it out since I've been trying to quell my lust for pumpkin-style beers doesn't seem to have an end.

Appearance: Poured a clear, orange and reddish haze that looks murky. Not that impressed.

Smell: A aronma of malts and sweet zesty bite, but with a slight hint of pumpkin fragrance.

Taste: Quite bitter malts and sweet aftertones of what appears to be nutmeg and some odd pumpkin flavorings, but not as nice as I would imagine. Quite zesty too, but also quite bitter, like roasted malts bitter. The Autumn spices are somewhat represented, but for an odd reason, I'm not tasting it.

Mouthfeel: A bit medium bodied, but somewhat heavy carbanation. Not so bad, but not so good either.

Drinkability: Actually not as bad as the other features, but to be quite honest and not to bash the beer completely I'm not exactly the biggest fan of fruity toned beers, but other pumpkin style beers I had encountered so far since fall began has been nothing but good. Maybe next time, but I must say this brew is not for me for the time being. Cheers!

The bottle says it was bottled on: and nothing is marked under month nor week. Who knows?
A- hazy, orange/honey color with thin white head, very little lace.
S - I can't put my nose on it. I even asked my wife. She thinks it is lavender and that it tastes like lavender. It's floral for sure but which? It's NOT pumpkin. Clove is there.
T - like the smell. No pumpkin. Sweet, clove, floral, citrus.
M- sweetens with time, easy to drink but the flavor and scent are difficult to pinpoint. Very floral but not pumpkin.

The nice lady at the local liquor store was going to pitch a sixer of this (as it was May), and asked if I wanted it. For free? Sure, give it a try.

Medium foamy head on a cloudy amber. Smelled fruity and floral, didn't pick up too much pumpkin. But I found it in the taste, very nice blend, pumpkin with spices...nutmeg? Allspice? Hint of that floral? All there, and as I said, blended nicely in a smooth, easy to drink beer.

I've had two pumpkin flavored beers (Blue Moon's Harvest Moon the other), and this is far and away the best of the two.

3.39/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Got this beer as part of another mix a six, and I did judge it by the cover so I'm hopeful.

A: This pumpkin beer pours a dark reddish/orange color with a very thin head that dissipates quickly.

S: Aroma is of cinnamon, spice and pumpkin peel with a hint of dark brown sugar on the back end.

T: Up front the flavor brings significant amounts of cinnamon and sugar, pumpkin spice is present through the middle of the flavor and ends with a tangy spice.

M: Beer hits the palate with a sweet, flavorful, pumpkin texture that is followed by all the sugar and spices that make up a pie.

O: Pretty good pumpkin beer, probably overlooked due to the lack of art work and familiarity with the brewer. But this beer is spot on for the season purpose, not the best pumpkin, but far from the worst.

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%

Pourz a cloudy pumpkin orange color, about a finger of head that quickly retreats into a thin layer of suds.

mmmm.... I smell pumpkin pie. lots of pumpkin and spiciness in the nose. lovely.

not quite as much pumpkin as is in the smell, but it's definitely there. At first i just taste like a really smooth lager, nice toasted caramel malts, and then the pumpkin and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg roll across my tongue and linger. This is really good, but i'd love more pumpkin up front.

lower carbonation, light-medium bodied, very smooth and easy drinking.

This is one of the better Pumpkin lagers i've had yet. They did a nice job on this beer, and the ABV is perfect.

3.39/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours copper with little head and carbonation. Smell is of cinnamon and cloves with a bit of caramel. Tastes sweet and a little cinnamon spicy up front, followed up by cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Not much malt going on other than a mild sweetness. Very little bitterness. Silky mouthfeel probably helped by very little carbonation.

Overally -- a nicely balanced pumpkin beer. Not much going on other than some malt sweetness to balance out the spices, but that's what I like from a pumpkin ale. I'd buy this again.

3.67/5  rDev +7%

Pours an orange amber color with a thin off white head. Aromas of baking spice, a little bready and finally some vegetal/pumpkin on the tail end. Spices dominate this beer, especially the cinnamon. I still am able to detect some pumpkin on the palate and as this is a pumpkin lager as opposed to the more popular ale it finishes pretty clean. Overall a nice pumpkin beer and the first one i have had in a couple seasons.

3.15/5  rDev -8.2%

More of a real pumpkin taste than the Punkinhead Ale, but still good.

It pours a dark pumpkin color with a light head and no lace. The smell was like cooked pumpkin, almost the bit that spills over the pie and burns onto the oven. Maybe is that burnt smell that comes from a candle in a jack-o-lantern.

The taste was true pumpkin with lovely spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Nicely balanced with the squash flavor.

The mouthfeel was like most standard ales, sparkling and fullfilling. I'd drink again during the season.

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

The second you pop the top on a bottle of Lakefront Pumpkin Ale you can tell this beer isn't pussyfooting around. Spices and fruit fill the air.

The pour leaves a thin tan head with minimal lacing. It's a nice coppery red.

I get a lot more apple cider on the nose than pumpkin. In fact, it's a lot more cinnamon/apple than anything else. Which I like in a big way.

Lots of clove and an apple crispness on the palate. Some nice maltiness on the back end.

A very drinkable pumpkin beer. Perfect for a crisp fall afternoon.

3.12/5  rDev -9%

Appeance: Pumpkin orange with a lacy head.

Aroma: Standard for this style...pumpkin pie, vanilla, cloves, cinn.

Taste: Like the aroma...starts off with smooth malts and then comes the pumpkin pie spices, some bread notes, and a bit of grassiness.

Overall: Not too bad for this style of beer, but not that great either. Easy to drink, but lacking the big flavors that other pumpkin ales have. As of late, it seems they divide these pumpkin beers into standard ones like this ale, and the imperial pumpkins which are bigger and more complex. Cheers!!

3.5/5  rDev +2%

12 oz poured into a shaker pint
I really haven't had many pumpkin beers and this is my first pumpkin lager. Really am unsure how to score this one. My opinion is it is an ok beer but I'm not going to be buying it again.
Look is an orangish gold with a fair head that reduced down to a thin cap.
Smell is all pumpkin spice.
Taste is pretty much the same mostly spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove. Mild toasty malt and I get no pumpkin flavor.
Feel a lot of carbonation and pretty thin.
Drink this isn't much of a drinker. 1 at a time is really enough for me even though I did have 3 in a sitting last night. Kind of became too much the spices really take over after the first one.

1.76/5  rDev -48.7%

Ugh, why a pumpkin lager? It looks okay, a bit orange, but not bad. Smell is almost offensive, pumpkin beers don't need pumpkin pie spices. The spices by the way make it taste and feel like you're drinking the unfortunate child of a beer and a pumpkin pie. Overall, just a bad idea.

2.4/5  rDev -30%

I've never had this style before. I received an 8-pack sampler as a Christmas Present and am working my way through it.

Appearance : Poured a hazy light orange with and Off white head that quickly disappeared to nothing. No lacing what so ever.

Smell: Sweet with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Taste: Malty sweet with taste of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Mouthfeel : Watery thin body that finished dry

Drink-ability : Didn't do anything for me. It went down easy but I did not enjoy drinking this beer. Glad I tried it and I'm glad it was part of a gift pack.

2.46/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Why why why why do they keep making beers like this. I know there is a market for this but there just so damn bad. There is really only 2 pumpkin beers that I think are even decent and this is not one out them. It looks good in the glass. I would probably drink it off of looks. The smell has nutmeg and cinnamon to it. The taste is kind of like a red beer that they drug through a wheat field. There are nutmeg and odd spices that don’t really sit well with me.

3.14/5  rDev -8.5%

Lighter in color than I expected, an almost golden amber. The aroma is very strong, and suggests pumpkin and cinnamon. Before trying this beer, I was never quite sure what "mouthfeel" actually meant. But this beer has a definite mouthfeel that, to me, is dry and almost powdery. Almost as if the spices are floating right on top. The taste is okay and definitely Pumpkin, but the dry feeling is tough for me to get past.

2.87/5  rDev -16.3%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Poured fizzy and soda-y with light head that dissipated down to almost nothing with no lacing. The color is copper to amber and very clear.

Aroma: The aroma is initially very nice with plenty of spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. There is some pumpkin aroma, but mostly spices. The aroma fades after a while in the glass, but the first impressions are again very nice.

Mouthfeel: This a light and fizzy soda-like drink. I am not generally a lager fan, so it is difficult for me to comment on the mouthfeel vs. how it is SUPPOSED to be, but I didn't like it. It felt thin with harsh carbonation.

Taste: The pleasing aroma doesn't carry over to taste. I tasted very little to no pumpkin and minimal spice. The carbonation again was a big minus for me. It's pretty dry with a hint of sweetness, but overall kind of sour (not bitter in a hoppy way). The aftertaste doesn't linger but that is good because it is rather sour.

Overall impression: This was my first pumpkin beer (and my first attempt at drinking a beer for a review -- I joined a review group and pumpkin beer was first on the agenda)) and I will say it was interesting. The initial aroma was far and away the highlight for me and I found it less enjoyable as I went along. It is definitely more pumpkin PIE than straight pumpkin, but that may be standard for this type of brew. I am a big fan of pumpkin pie, but had never had the desire to try a pumpkin beer. While I probably won't pick this one up again, it WAS enough to get me interested in trying other pumpkin beers.

3.36/5  rDev -2%

Aroma: Surprise! Nutmeg and cinnamon, with a light ginger aroma after some deep sniffs. Mild pumpkin aroma as swirled. Some sweet malt. No hop aroma.

Appearance: Light orange in color. Brilliantly clear and sparkling. Small white head with fine bubbles, mostly from the nucleation site on the bottom of my glass.

Flavor: Malty but not overly sweet, more like a Vienna lager. A good mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger that is not overwhelming but does stay with you after the sip. No astringency. No hop flavors. Finish is crisp and lagery with a hint of pilsner malt. Mouthfeel is a bit light.

Overall: Not a bad beer. I like the crispness of it and the well balanced spices.

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%

This beer starts with a medium-strong spice aroma of cloves and nutmeg. Deep copper/orange color is great for this style. Medium-full bodied with a big pumpkin taste and med-low spices to balance. Again diacetyl detracts from this beer, mostly in the finish.

Poured into a nonic glass.

Appearance - Beautiful orange yellow color with perhaps a very slight haze. Fluffy white 2 finger head held for half of the glass! A half finger head for the rest. I was impressed! Above average lacing.

Smell - Very fresh and clean. Mostly a pumpkin fresh fruit smell with a little nut and spice. The smell really gets you interested.

Taste - Impressively smooth! Sweetness balanced with a little tangy nutty spice. Finish is no where near bitter. More on the sweet end. A delicate hop quality.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and soft. Medium to lower carbonation.

Drinkability - Very drinkable because of it's refreshing quality.
But what is the ABV? Can't find it anywhere.

This is the best pumpkin brew I've tried. And I find it very interesting that it's a lager. That explains the rich smooth quality. Very different from a pumpkin ale. Doesn't have all the complexity that you can get with an ale. Instead the quality of the ingredients and the simple character really shines.

4.02/5  rDev +17.2%

From The Dead Man's Chest
Nov 12th 08

There's a light cream head stitting on an amber body. Strong sent of spices. There's a light to medium body with some strong maltyness. The spices are not a strong as the inital aroma suggests. The All spice cinnimon and ginger contribute to the toasty munich malt and meaty pumpkin flavors. Every flavor has it's moment on your pallette. Over all this beer is highly drinkable and easy to enjoy. Try with a baked squash or corn sufflet.

Pumpkin Lager Beer from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.