My Turn Series: Dan | Lakefront Brewery, Inc.

My Turn Series: DanMy Turn Series: Dan

Lakefront Brewery, Inc.
Wisconsin, United States
lakefrontbrewery.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by bound4er on 11-18-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

4.94/5  rDev +24.1%

I am enjoying my final bottle of the limited-edition Dan on an unremarkable Saturday night, three days after quitting my job and for no better purpose than washing down some regrettable national chain pizza. It is as I remember it; I plowed through rather a lot of it when I could. A great walloping honker of a porter, 8.5% by volume, thick and rich and round and full. Yes, like the bottle says, a salty sweetness, almost a gourmet caramel kind of a thing. The body is frankly Rubenesque. Here she is, your Roller Derby Queen. Lassiez les bon temps roulez, etc.

This one needs to make a comeback. I live just up the hill from Lakefront Brewery and currently only their remarkable IBA comes close to punching these buttons for me. Similar to both the Sprecher Black Bavarian (my first love) and Oskar Blues' Old Chub but slightly hoppier and smoother than either. I wish I had thought to sock away more of it.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

Dark beer in appearance, black with a tan head.
Full flavor of chocolate, dark roasted hops.
The Aroma was noticeable as soon as the cap was popped off, had a sweet smell once in the glass and allowed to breathe.
Sweet overall finish with an earthy flavor.

Was looking forward to trying this beer for a month, very fresh from the brewery, 'Dan WK 2' was stamped on the label. Though it was slightly difficult to decipher.

I am a big fan of Lakefront, I highly recommend to anyone from a novice taster (like me) to a connoisseur.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

4.62/5  rDev +16.1%

22 oz. bomber I picked up because I found the label intriguing.

A: Jet black color, with very little head but nice lacing

A: Nice smokiness, dark chocolate, coffee, dark fruit

T: Absolutely delicious. Starts off with a nice smokiness, balanced by the sweetness of the malts, dark chocolate and some coffee flavors

M: Nice mouthfeel, verges on being creamy, but on the thinner side. Well balanced.

O: Glad I picked this one up! Very nice example of a Baltic Porter. Well balanced, great flavors. I would highly recommend this beer! Nice job!

4.55/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

An extraordinary find on my recent roadtrip to Portland.
Caught my attention at John's Market - a pure impulse buy.
Now, I regret not snatching up more of this gem.
Pours a beautiful dark brown into my brandy snifter.
Serves nicely warm. I highly recommend removing any chill before drinking.
Milky smooth. Mild chocolate notes.
Taste lingers on the palate leaving the nice warm feeling behind.
Dressing the Christmas tree and sipping on a Dan Porter. Doesn't get any better than that.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

On tap at rumpus room. Group tasting session for employees.

Look: Dark black is a bit redundant but fitting. Had foam on top. Was light brownish.

Smell: Roasted malt. Yeast characters, some hops. Chocolate light faintness on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Fuller than expected.

Taste: just like smell but so much better. Coffee malts.

Overall: exactly what BJCP style guidelines say it should be. One of my personal favorites. Can't wait till its back in stock.

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

22oz bomber from the brewery in Milwaukee, WI.

A: The blackest beer I've ever seen. No discernible color tones. Pours a 3+ finger foamy beige head. Falls quickly but leaves a good lace.

S: Plum, chocolate, port.

T: Delicious! Rich but not overtly syrupy. Smoky without being over bitter. Deep, dark,and very drinkable. Dark chocolate (85%+), smoke, & coffee.

M: Thinner than the taste suggests. Well balanced.

D: Good. Balance is the key here.

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

I really like this beer. It's not quite a stout, not quite a porter. It's almost like a darker Scottish ale. The black pour seems thin until it hits the glass and then turns to look thick. A bit soft on the head, but that's minor. Settles to thin lacing.

Chocolate and sweet roasted malt in the nose. A bit smoky, a bit of caramel. Toffee. Prune. Soft anise.

Flavors are spot on, just a tad loose. The chocolate and toffee come through but don't stay long. Hard to score this, so I'll take off on the MF as it's a bit thin and a bit slick. The smoke is light and lends some umami to the malt and caramel.

A darn fine beer. Not many Baltics out there. This is a nice one

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

From a bomber as part of Lakefront's new My Turn Series. Released only days ago.

A. Pours almost black with a two finger tan head that breaks fairly quickly.

S. Dark roasted malt, sweet chocolate and a hint of coffee.

T. Plenty of roasted malt flavor here - maybe some coffee and dark chocolate. Finishes with just a kiss of hop bitterness.

M. Creamy and rich without being syrupy.

O. Dan has done some nice work here - this is a tasty, easy to drink Baltic Porter that hides its alcohol extremely well. My bomber disappeared way too fast - this is one that I will grab more of without hesitation.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

A - Solid black with ruby highlights when held to the light. Big khaki head with a bit of stickiness.

S - Bittersweet chocolate, sweet caramel malt, coffee, dark fruits but they are light.

T - Lightly roasted malts with rich caramel, bittersweet chocolate, black coffee and some dark fruits as it warms but they are light as the aroma. Gets a little roastier as it warms.

M - Full bodied and maybe even a bit chewy at times.

D - Very solid Baltic porter. A touch roasty for my preference (would like a little more dark fruit) but I can't complain.

4.06/5  rDev +2%

Poured out almost but not quite jet-black, with a sad little tan half-finger head that fizzles out in half a minute, <sigh>. Color is dead on, but head is very much...not. Texture is on the thinner side of medium, but also undercarbonated just as indicated by the head. Smells of a robust semi-burnt barley and baking chocolate just like it ought to, at least, tastes of the same but also includes that pleasant tangy acidity that good Baltic Porters have....also really REALLY dry...bang on target with flavor and smell but falls somewhat short on carbonation, texture, and head presentation.

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

A: black body, finger khaki head,
fine lacing

S: mild cocoa, malt, caramel, malt, roasted nuts

T: sweet cocoa, big malt, nutty/caramel,
mild coffee, dark fruit smooth/chewy finish

M: heavy/med body, chewy/smooth mouth

O: Another fine Lakefront bomber!
I really love porters and baltic porters
are simply outstanding. ABV well hidden
within the smooth flavors.
Would highly recommend and get again,
if offered. I really miss Great Lakes breweries
and especially, my favorite state (WI). And
this is coming from an IL native. ;)

DELICIOUS, TREAT YOURSELF!

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
My Turn Series: Dan from Lakefront Brewery, Inc.