Milk Stout | Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
lancasterbrewing.com

Style: English Sweet / Milk Stout

We are proud to offer this traditional English Sweet Stout that's bursting with roasted barley flavor. A dark ale, Milk Stout has just a touch of sweetness provided by an addition of non-fermentable lactose sugar.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 482 | Ratings: 1,217
Reviews by weeare138:
3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Appears black with hint of red and a dark tan head.
Smells of bitter chocolate, roasted walnuts, coffee and smooth toasted malts.
Taste is full bodied and roasty with all the smells listed above resonating throughout the palate.
Mouthfeel is slightly complex as the burnt and toasted flavors mix with the sweetness. This was served a bit too cold at the brewery and I should've let it warm up to enjoy the full potential but I was too impatient to wait.

Finger licking good.

4.94/5  rDev +27.3%

Lancaster Milk Stout ABV-5.3% IBU-25

Nose: from bottle it was milk, sweet, roasty, grains
From glass it was mostly grains, malt, roasty

Apperance: Oily black with a 1 inch. light brown head. The head disapates to a small ring and coating the top.
Moulth: Pretty much a typical stout moulth feel. Just the right amount of carbonation and thicker feel.
Taste: Sweet and creamy as a result of the lactose sugar. The fist tast that really hits you is the malts and then the aftertaste is of coffee and chocolate that sticks to your tongue nicely. The alcohol is nicely blended in with the other tastes. I am surprised that I like this one because I usually don't like milk stouts, or coffee stouts. I am so glad that I took a chance on this one. I almost don't think of this as a milk stout, but just a good sweeter dark beer. The cool thing is that this is a local beer brewed right here in my state of Pennsylvania. I am proud to raise my head up high because we have another great beer, go P.A.!!!!

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

I felt the need to drop a review after seeing so many negative ones.

I'm a huge stout fan personally, so I'm pretty harsh on bad ones. This was not a bad stout by any means.

L: Very dark black, i always look for opacity while I'm pouring from the bottle, and there was absolutely none with this. A thick black all the way.

S: Very roasty malty up front, with a slight chocolate prescense and the lactose also very distinct. It was unexpected tbh.

T: The taste was surprising to me, in a good way. A lot of milk stouts are overly sweet imo, but this didn't follow the trend. It tasted like a very standard, tame porter to me. Very distinct roasted malt flavor up front, with an obvious lactose kick towards the back. It doesn't over do either one much at all. There is a bit of that chocolate/coffee flavor at times, which seems very natural to me.

F: Very creamy, but much less than any other milk stout I've had. I definitely wouldn't call it watery overall, but it may be a bit for the style.

O: i was pleasantly surprised after seeing these reviews. This was solid imo. It may differ from most in this style, which might lead to bad reviews from the super technical drinkers out there, but as a stout lover in general i would absolutely recommend to anyone who enjoys one

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

I always compare any stout to guiness which is probably the standard if you ask most stout drinkers, I thought this was a lot easier to drink than most stout, I was able to down a whole 6 pack whereas guiness I wasnt right away, and this is really good its my second favorite stout behind sam adams cream stout

4.4/5  rDev +13.4%

What a surprise! When you see the bottle (which looks different than what is shown here on BA.. there's a full cow on the recent bottle) you can't help put chuckle. Before pouring it out you can bet it's going to be a subpar beer. I mean look at that label and the price is low for a six pack.

Then all of a sudden you pour it out in a glass... and WOAH! I wasn't expecting an inky black beer with a nice head on it. Try shinning a light through the beer and you can very faintly see light on the other side. The beer smells of milk and a roasted coffee/chocolate mix. Upon your first sip you will get that roasted coffee taste, sugar, and a bit of chocolate. It tastes like what the smell is inviting you into. The flavor is not over powering, I'd say it is quite lite for a stout. The more you drink the beer the better it gets. The flavor does not leave your palate. You can take a sip and 5 minutes later you can still taste it. The more you drink it, the stronger it tastes if that makes any sense.

It is so drinkable I can guarantee you this: If you brought this to a party anyone that enjoys coffee would enjoy this beer. Men and women can enjoy this beer without being a diehard beer drinker. Some stouts are just so overpowering with their flavor you better have a thick beard, a captain's patch on your eye, or have a unicycle at the ready (it is marketed towards those groups of people. lol)

This is a quality beer that I could literally drink all the time. Definitely a sleeper pick! The thing that gets this beer such a high rating from me is the fact that it gets so many things right for such a low price. Such a bargain in my opinion.

The only negatives that prevent it from having a higher score is that it is a bit "watery" in its taste and it is a bit sweet. If you don't like a sweet tasting beer, you might want to stay away from this one. I don't mind the sweet taste but it could be dialed down just a smidgen.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: [4.25] Blackish looking brew with red edges when held up to the light. Forms a fat 1 1/2 finger mud colored head. Overall it looks really nice in the glass. It has a date code for (10/15/15). But - no listing of the ABV.

S: [3.50] Smells like cocoa powder. Like a chalky dry cocoa aroma. This is backed by some smokiness and charred hardwood. Maybe some vanilla and marshmallow.

T: [3.75] Follows the nose with a better chocolate flavor. The chocolate is more milk chocolate and smooth. The charred wood is there. I think I also get a little bit of dark cherry underneath.

M: [3.50] A little sticky and slick. The best you can hope for at 5.3% ABV (I had to look it up). The charred wood gives a nice dried out finish.

O: [3.50] This is not something that separates from the pack. But for a every day milk stout this is really nice. I could sit and drink 3-4 of these after skiing, hiking or just watching football. It has a pretty nice aroma and flavor profile and the mouthfeel is decent for the low ABV.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

A growler freshly filled a few hours ago.

A: The stout is a midnight black color, allowing only faint ruby red highlights to shine through. The head is a small white band.

S: The stout has a deep roasted, almost burnt, aroma that exudes hints of milk and chocolatey sweetness.

T: The stout has a bold flavor, not skimping on either the milk nor the stout parts. The roasted malts are thick and toasted, coming across with an acidic dryness that lingers in the mouth. The lactose quickly follows the dryness. It adds a distinct, almost sour, sweetness that works well against the dryness.

M: The dryness and the sweetness play well off of each other, creating a very nice feel.

D: It's been 6 months since my last review of milk stout and I believe that my earlier ones cut it short. The biggest difference is that this is fresh from the brewery (vs. contract brewed and bottled or on-tap at a third-party establishment). The stout is a formidable, excellent beer when served properly.

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%

This beer poured as the perfect pint. Two and a half fingers of tan head formed atop of a deep dark brown (really black) liquid that looked thick and sticky. The head was very creamy and slowly settled to a sticky/lacy film across the top of the beer.

Aroma was actually very faint and mostly of some roasty notes. A little nutty perhaps.

Taste was indeed creamy and started rather mild and built to a nice roasted/burnt malt taste. This had coffee, dark roasted peanut and dark chocolate qualities. Really nice. As the roasted malt goodness is fading a slight burst of hop bitterness comes in to help establish a balanced finish. Nice flavor from front to back.

Mouth feel is decidedly smooth, creamy and date I say milky. Mouth feel is medium bodied and the drinkability is quite nice.

I can see sitting around sipping a couple of these on a cold night. Of course on July 30th they aren't so bad either. Glad I picked up a couple of these on my stop in Maryland.

A real nice effort

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

I bought a 6-pack at the brewery and also had a few bottles at a local bar. I've had this straight from the bottle and poured in a pint glass.

A - Classic dark stout color with some deep brown and red showing through on the edges of the glass when held to the light. The head was completely gone when poured gently and very tall when poured vigorously. When present, the tan head had large bubbles.

S - Great strong burnt chocolate smell that reaches you quickly when poured into a pint glass.

T - Excellent. It doesn't have a faint or weak taste like guinness, but hits you with a delicious burnt, bitter sweet chocolate flavor that lasts through the aftertaste. The finish is a good bitter that gives you a little bite on it's way out.

M - This beer has CO2 instead of nitro like many stouts have adopted, and the carbonation is pretty high, so don't expect a rich creaminess. This is the only thing I wish was different because I think the nitro-creaminess would make this beer 100% perfect for someone like me who loves the nitro.

D - The upside of not having nitro is that this beer doesn't feel heavy or overly thick, so it's extremely easy for me to put back a bunch of these very quickly.

Overall I love this beer. This is a stout that nails you with flavor, nothing weak about it. Delicious with an ABV of 5.3%, which can give you a quick buzz since these are so easy to throw back.

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%

To be upfront, I'm not a huge fan of stouts due to the typical stout aftertast. Given that preface, I must say I liked this stout a lot. It was quite good and that creamy taste helped balance out the stout taste I'm not a huge fan of.

The head quickly dissipated on this beer. This happened to a friend who had this beer a day earlier, so it is definitely due to the beer. With a dark beer, what else do you have to go by? Umm, it's dark. So I base appearance by how long the head lasts.

Since I'm not a stout fan, a 4 for mouthfeel and 3.5 drinkability is really high.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle purchased from a 12 pack at the source.

A-Deep oily black pour that a 100 watt bulb can't penetrate. Thick creamy tan head that stands up even at a pretty cold temperature.

S-coffee, hops and sweet malts

T-creamy sweet roasted malts, coffee, and a bitter finish. Very nicely done

M-Medium creamy mouthfeel and carbonation

D-This is an extremely drinkable stout. In some ways, I wish it was a bit bigger, and I'd love to see them do an imperial, but for a nice session stout, you can't beat this. Bring it on.

Another great beer from a very solid brewery.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.07/5  rDev -20.9%

This is my first try at a milk stout, but it isn't what I expect from a stout at all. The color is a blackish stout color with a small tan head that dissapates quickly. There is almost no lacing to speak of. I don't get much smell from it other than the usual roasted malt aroma. The taste is malty with a somewhat sickly, sweetness on the back end. This is very thin, almost watery in the mouth. I tried a second to be fair to the beer, but this would never be a favorite of mine.

2.99/5  rDev -22.9%

Going through my notes I realized that I had not put this review up on BA yet.

A: The pour is a dark, dark brown color with a thin layer of tan foam.

S: The nose is not very pleasing at all. There is some roasted malt, hints of chocolate, and a slight sweetness. However, there is also something a bit "off" about the aroma that I can't quite pin point (maybe a touch sour?).

T: The flavor is a slight improvement over the nose with some decent roasted malt and cream flavors with a touch of sweetness. I can't say that it's especially good though.

M: The body and carbonation are about standard, with the body being a touch thin.

D: The pedestrian flavors and rather unpleasant nose really put me off of this beer. I think I would pass on this one if offered it again.

12 oz bottle served chilled into a pint glass.

A: Pours thick and oily, love it. Very dark brown, almost opaque. Tiny bit of carbonation. Had very little brown head. Like a dark coke with less bubbles.

S: Cocoa, coffee, malts all up front. smells bready.

T: Wow, malts and cocoa, no spices its got the milky-ness but also bitterness on the backend.

MF: really smooth, not sticky like a lot of stouts. No fizziness.

OA: Its not what i really expected but its good. Id like to drink this on a day just like today, cool, clear outside, and sitting inside watching TV.

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%

The beer poured pitch black with a ruby highlight. the head was brown and large and coated the glass on the way to lacing the glass. The whole enchilada on appearance. The lacing and head were second to none.

The aroma was roasty with chocolate and strong espresso coffee. Some caramel aromas were present, along with some smoky aromas.

The flavor was bitter roastiness with smoke and espresso most prevalent. The smoke flavor was strong and enhanced by the coffee and chocolate. The flavor had a strong bittering component that was not balanced by the lactose generally found in a milk stout.

The finish was dry with lasting chocolate, coffee and a large smoke presence that lasted long into the aftertaste. The body was medium to medium full, but just a smidge thin.

12 ounce bottle. With just a smidge less bittering and a bit less smoky flavors this would be a beer that would set the bar very high.

4.21/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%