Milk Stout | Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
lancasterbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

We are proud to offer this traditional English Sweet Stout that's bursting with roasted barley flavor. A dark ale, Milk Stout has just a touch of sweetness provided by an addition of non-fermentable lactose sugar.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Ratings: 1,202 |  Reviews: 477
4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

I like stouts, so it's no wonder I found this beer from Lancaster Brewing Co. my favorite.

Appearance - Dark, dark, dark, like a stout ought to be. When you hold it up to the light you could not see through this brew. It had a slight milky head that dissapated slowly.

Aroma - A large roasted malt aroma that overwhelms the senses.

Taste - Very smooth with toasted malt flavors. A little sweet, most likely from the lactose they use in the brewing process. The roasted malt is very evident in the taste of this beer.

Mouthfeel - excellant carbonation for a stout. The smoothness of this beer feels like velvet as it crosses your palate, but the taste quickly lets you know you are drinking a heavy hitting stout.

Drinkability - Again, I like stouts so I feel this is a very drinkable beer. It's not a beer you could drink all afternoon, it's too heavy. You can definitley drink two to three at a seating.

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%

Thick brownish tan head in the glass, very long-lasting! Very dark brown-reddish liquid. Nose is chocolatey, coffeeish, nutty, and slightly leathery, all in front of sweet smelling maltiness. Tasting reveals rich malty mouthfeel with notes of milk chocolate, weak coffee and a little smokiness. Finishes roasty/dry with some hoppiness and slight tanginess...delicious!

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%

This brew pours very dark, almost black. An aggressive pour generated a frothy tan head that faded back to swirling weather pattern masking the beer. It had a very light bouquet and smelled a bit bland. Taste of roasted malt and coffee were consisitant through out. The after taste was bitter & dry and lingered for quite awhile. I expected a milk stout to be creamy but this one was a little thin. Not the best I've had of this type of stout.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Not having had this beer in awhile I expected to be disappointed. The brewery has had some problems, I was told

It didn't effect the beer if true. The taste was smooth and creamy. I drank right from the bottle. This beer quenched my thirst for a stout and left plenty of room for more. Too many stouts leave me full and not wanting to drink much more. This creamy taste, and coffee flavored brew was a delight to my senses. I will further taste this delightful brew in a glass and on tap. Wish me happy hunting.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

I pour this chilled into my matching pint glass. A beige frothy head foams up after a little effort (hard pour). This fades to a thin layer around the rim of the glass rather quickly. The brew is very dark brown almost black. Very little light makes it through my glass.
Aroma is roasted malt, some mild coffee aromas too. Medium carbonation and slightly thicker than medium body. Even a slightly creamy mouthfeel.
The flavor is bittersweet up front and moves to a clean coffee flavor on the finish.
This is a very smooth brew and I will be buying more of it next time I am in PA.

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured black with a tint of ruby red at the edges. Seemed thin on the pour and left a very small tan head. Aroma is a smoky roasted malt with coffee notes. Medium bodied and smooth with a crisp mouthfeel. Flavor is of roasted malt and slightly sweet with a dry finish. Nothing outstanding and could use more flavor in my opinion. Not bad though overall.

4.37/5  rDev +12.6%

Dark ruby appearance. Small creamy brown head. Retention is minimal and lacing is negligent. Aroma is quite nice. Espresso, cocoa, milk sugar, vanilla bean... Good stuff. The flavors follow suit nicely. Good bittersweet chocolate thing going on. Coffee bean. Lactic sugars. Dry cocoa. This is tasty stuff. And the mouthfeel is silky smooth. Body a little better than medium. If this were available around here, I've got a feeling I'd be drinking it regularly.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

This beer is a magic carpet ride. Either due to my perfect pour or solid brewing, my pint looks fantastic. Nice 1/2 inch of foam on a very mucky black. Hints of espresso, toasted malt and nut in the nose. The first sip yields that a strong espresso taste with lingering hints of cream. On my second swig, I know why this is a milk stout. Milk coats the back of my mouth. I’m quite impressed by the balance of beer. This is my first of the sub style and I was a little hesitant. As I continue drinking, I notice the great lacing that surrounds my glass. Well done. The beer has a slight sweet taste, reminding me of the cream ale I had last night, but this sweetness comes from a very subdued chocolate infusion. The nutty flavor may be hazelnuts. Two word’s well balanced. Next time I’m in Philly I’ll be looking for this.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a pitch black with a light almond colored head that dissapates pretty quick,aroma is of french roast coffee deeply roasted.Taste is incredably coffeeish with a slight malted milk taste I like the intermingling flavors of coffee and lactose very tasty beer I will get again if given the chance.

3.87/5  rDev -0.3%

To be upfront, I'm not a huge fan of stouts due to the typical stout aftertast. Given that preface, I must say I liked this stout a lot. It was quite good and that creamy taste helped balance out the stout taste I'm not a huge fan of.

The head quickly dissipated on this beer. This happened to a friend who had this beer a day earlier, so it is definitely due to the beer. With a dark beer, what else do you have to go by? Umm, it's dark. So I base appearance by how long the head lasts.

Since I'm not a stout fan, a 4 for mouthfeel and 3.5 drinkability is really high.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Package: 12oz. crowned brown longneck bottle. No specific bottling/consume-by date or ABV noted. Notations: “not pasteurized,” “brewed with lactose,” and “brewed naturally with no preservatives.” Straightforward label with cow’s head and large “Milk Stout” name.

Cost: freebie

Presentation: Shaker pint at ~45º

Appearance: Extreme brown opacity, with the slightest glow at the bottom of the glass when held to the light. Generated a strong, dense, three-fingered, malted-milk colored head, that slowly resolved to about one finger in depth which renewed itself. Archetypical stout.

Smell: Very roasty, with a deep char smell, bitter chocolate, and Kenya-like acidic coffee. Perhaps a bit sharper in the nose than I expected. Promises a great deal of flavor.

Taste: Somewhat disappointing after the big, full aroma. Strong, sharp, burnt coffee and chocolate flavors overwhelm any nuances I was hoping to find. As I digested the first sips, I began to detect the underlying sweetness from the lactose and roasted malts. Two-dimensionable. Somewhat sour note from the lactose is more reminiscent of the Ohio-brewed Mackesons than the super-smooth “original.” Lacked the deep fruitiness of the best milk stouts.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin considering the depth of its opacity and the strength of the aroma. More highly carbonated on the tongue than I expected. Does not possess the silky mouthfeel or heavy body I expect in a milk/cream/sweet stout. Still, it does deliver a nice, flavorful finish.

Drinkability: A nicely drinkable stout. Delivers substantial amount of flavor in a remarkably “light-bodied” stout.

Backwash: A good rendition of this all-too-rare style. I don’t have a lot to which I can compare this, but it isn’t up to the benchmark imported Mackeson’s, an old favorite. Sadly, there aren’t enough genuine milk stouts around anymore, so it is wonderful to have the opportunity to try this. With a bit more body, a smoother sweetness, and finer carbonation Lancaster would have a star offering. As it is, it is a good, but not great, stout.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

The Milk Stout poured a dark, impenetrable black color with a light tan, creamy head. The head shrunk fairly quickly, and not a lot of carbonation was visible. The luxurious darkness of this beer made the appearance very pleasant. Heavy malt tones dominated the smell, with lots of roasted and chocolate malt characteristics. The taste had an interesting sweetness and a smooth, creamy texture, probably due to the lactose. A nice mild coffee aftertaste, with a smoked features lingered for a while. Mouthfeel was very soft, and a bit thin but did not detract from the overall quality. A somewhat mellow stout, the creamy taste and feel make this a good brew and a nice step down from the more aggressive stouts.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

One of the nicer milk stouts I had tasted. Not to sweet or lacking in character, as some are. Poured a deep brown, but did not seem to have any carbonation, hence there was really no head on it. I thought it might have gone flat, but upon tasting it I knew it had not. Sweet chocolate malt and brown sugar in the nose.

Mouthfeel is slightly thin and smooth, and nicely creamy. Flavors of mildly bittersweet chocolate come through. The chocolate flavors are not as dark or bitter as they are in heartier stouts, such as Oatmeals or Imperials. Could use more hops...but then again, that's always my complaint. A very nicely done milk stout, one that seems very true to the style.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

The bottle states, "Stout Brewed with Lactose."

Appearance: Luckily I was paying attention when I poured this beer because it exploded in a fountain of foam. Once the brew hit the side of the pint glass, it just took off. With just a mere ounce (or so) of liquid, my glass was filled with foam, top to bottom.

After many small pourings, this beer turned out to be jet black, with just a hint of ruby around the edges when the light hit the glass just right. The head, now in its condensed form, was tan, coarse, and fluffy. A fairly thick cap remained over the brew for the whole drink, but it left no lace on the side of the glass.

Smell: There were strong aromas of dark roasted malts, smoke, and burnt cupcakes. (I know that's wierd, but that's what it smelled like.) There were also more subtle aromas of cream and milk chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Creamy smooth upfront, but more lively in the back of the mouth. I wish it would have had a little more body to it.

Taste: Initially, there was a hint of sweetness on the tip of the tongue. Then, almost immediately, a deep roasted malt and smoke flavor arose and powered through the sweetness. These two flavors lingered into the finish, where they were joined by a creamy sweetness and coffee.

I didn't hold the geyser o' foam against this beer. That stuff just happens sometimes. Overall, this was a good brew. My two complaints would be that the smoke flavor was too strong and there was no bitterness to speak of. Just a little hops presence on the finish would have done wonders for this beer. Still, not too shabby.

Thanks Jarod!

4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

I had this wonderful stout at the brewery, fresh. It is a dark, smooth, creamy dream. I love the roasted malt flavors, maybe a hint of chocolate and the soft, pleasant aftertaste.
To be savoured with or following a good meal.
PS> I have had the Milkstout in bottles as well. Not as perfect as on tap but tasty non the less.

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Presentation: 12 fluid ounce bottle with a single label. A black label has white & gold edging. A picture of a Cows head sits under the logo of the Lancaster Brewing Company. It also proudly states that the beer is ‘not pasteurized’, and ‘brewed naturally without preservatives’. I remember seeing English Milk Stouts from my youth in England, this name is now banned under EU labeling laws. Nice to see that Bureaucracy has not had the same effect this side of the pond. No strength or freshness date.

Appearance: Pours flat and black at first, looks like warm tar until half way up the Pint glass a head slowly forms. It finishes with a huge thick brown head. Bubbles in the head continually collapse and pop as the head settles to a more velvety appearance. Crusty dark-tan lacing stays put on the glass sides. Good inherent carbonation when swirled.

Nose: Roasted Malts dominate. Hints of coffee, cream and some chocolate in the odor. Slight acidic smell in the ending. A lightly weighted nose.

Taste: Bitter roast malts, smooth creamy coffee and raisin laced dark chocolate. Finishes with a bitter lactose ending, which has a slightly sour twist.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, but average in strength.

Drinkability: Very nice, even for a hot day, this is rather drinkable. A nice Milk Stout, that makes for an easy drinking partner.

Overall: Most Milk Stouts that I tried in the UK were rather simple in character, but what they had flavor wise, they used to great effect. This is true with the offering from Lancaster. A lovely, smooth, creamy Milk Stout, with a nice lactic-bitter ending. Thanks to NeroFiddled for the sample.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

I have heard many good things about Lancaster brewing and this beer, so I saw it at D's and figured it's about time I give it a try. Pours a very deep almond brown and leaves a fairly thin tan head on top of the body leaves a nice trickled lace down the glass with every sip. The aroma are soothing tones of mild chocolate, and dark roasts creating a warming sensation like taking some freshly cracked coffee roasts in very nice and mild aroma, there is a bit of a huskiness there in the finish of the aroma. The taste is well balanced between bitter sweet creamy textured tones and the harsh dark roasts that leave such a great flavor on the palate. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, but not heavy or cloying in any way very creamy textured mouthfeel making this one very good stout. I could sip on this beer when in the mood for a good creamy stout, I like the cap it says Lancaster Brewing "better beer".

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

Served as a sample at the Penn Festival. The color was a dark reddish-brown. The smell was fairly sweet. The taste was bitter, however, and much more bitter than I expected for a milk stout, and there was little sweetening in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was heavy, with hints of alcohol in it. I could probably have one or two of these, but that's really about it.

Maybe it was a bad batch on the day, as so many of the other scores seem so high, but I was somewhat disappointed by this beer. Perhaps I'll have to give it another try if I go out towards Eastern PA in the future.

4.23/5  rDev +9%

Rich roasty smell with a hint of choc-full-o-nuts. Dark black opeque look with a nice thick rich tan head. Sweet roasty malt initial taste followed quickly by a big slightly dry expresso covered tongue. The finish also has a nice lingering hop bitterness. Nice smooth mouth but just slightly too much on the medium side. Not the most complex stout out there but a great treat for the mouth. I love that dagger of expresso at the finish. I like this beer, it's a quality stout.
Cheers to the Victory BA Beer Exchange for this great sample.

4.17/5  rDev +7.5%

A rough pour produces a large foamy, lively, tan head. Who need a widget. Black body with some ruby along the edges. A bit of lace follows the beer level down the glass. A delightful coffee and cream and cocoa nose, with some burnt coffee working its way around the edges. The coffee and cream and chocolate are present in the taste as well, though perhaps a little less dominately. Mouthfeel is smooth, but I wished it just a tad thicker. Though, that could cut drinkability, and this brew is going fast.

Aquired in the Philly Gathering Beer Exchange.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured a very deep and rich dark mahogany brown with a nice contrasting large white head. The aroma and taste is strong with roasted barley and roasty dark chocolate tones. The finish is dry and crisp. Not heavy, the body is light.Very smooth and drinkable, a very good beer.

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: Pours a very deep brown with some ruby highlights, holds a small creamy sand color head that holds fairly well. Good carbonation. On the nose there is the aroma of sweet chocolate and roasted malts. The body is medium.
On the palate the flavors consist of chocolate, a nice roastiness, hint of caramel, slight bitterness rounds it out. The mouth feel is fairly creamy & smooth. This brew is really tasty and easy to drink.

4.34/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours to a deep dark brown with a tannish head that leaves lace all over the glass. A huge aroma of Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino jumps out of the glass. Sweet chocolate and nice roasty smell mix in for quite a nose pleasing aroma.

Cappuccino leads the way in the flavor of this brew. It is joined later by some dark roasty malts and chocolate. Smooth and creamy from beginning to end with light carbonation. Body is pretty full, but it does fall a bit thin. This is a great stout. I could see it as a starter stout for someone who hasn't really gotten into the dark stuff yet.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a clear, very deep brown (almost black) with reddish-mahogany highlights. The creamy, light tan head holds well and leaves nice lace. Sweet chocolate and soft roastiness greet the nose. The body is medium with a soft, very-fine bubbled carbonation that provides the expected creamy mouthfeel and helps to emphasise the malty flavors. The flavor is distinctly chocolatey and caramelish with a firm roastiness; but it's not overly rich or full, which helps to give it a good drinkability. It finishes drying with a short lingering note of sweet chocolate and restrained bitterness. Well done! An excellent example of the style.

4.67/5  rDev +20.4%

I have only had this beer twice. It has a nice dark color to it almost completly opaque. Great flavor. Nice meld of milk flavoring, caramel, dark chocolate, toffee. But not too overpowering and sweet. Not too sweet. Very drinkable and delicious. It has a nice head to it that reflects the color of the beer. It left a nice lace behind on the glass. This beer was good down to the last drop even as it warmed alittle at the bottom. I was pleasantly surprised as most beers kind of change as they get to the bottom and warm up.
To sum it all up in 1 word. SMOOTH