Milk Stout | Lancaster Brewing Company

Lancaster Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
lancasterbrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

We are proud to offer this traditional English Sweet Stout that's bursting with roasted barley flavor. A dark ale, Milk Stout has just a touch of sweetness provided by an addition of non-fermentable lactose sugar.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-01-2002

Ratings: 1,179 |  Reviews: 471
3.88/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev -8.8%

Bought as a single bottle in a mix-a-six, and poured into a Kane Brewing tulip glass.

Look - Pours black with a thin head. Little to no lacing present.

Smell - Light notes of roasted malts, chocolate, and just a hint of coffee.

Taste - Almost exactly as it smells minus the coffee, but the roasted malts and slight chocolate definitely come through. A slight twang exists in the aftertaste that I can't really describe.

Mouthfeel - The feel was a bit on the lighter side for me. It wasn't creamy and thick like a milk stout (or any stout in general) should be.

Overall - Not a terrible stout, but definitely a one and done for me. The flavors were all there, but the mouthfeel is what ruined it for me as it just didn't feel like a stout. Regardless, I still had the whole thing as it wasn't repulsive. Cheers!

4.01/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.65/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Definitely get coffee and some chocolate, but it almost taste stale. Looked for a bottle date and didnt see one. A weird aftertaste also, im not aure about this. Wish i knew the date. 3/5.

3.56/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Look - black with dark tan, thin head. Smell - light aroma. Taste - hint of dark roasted coffee. Smooth start with a slight bitterness towards the end. Aftertaste lifts the bitterness. Feel - smooth, but not as creamy as I expected. Med. carbonation. Overall - my first milk stout was not as creamy as I expected. Not bad, but probably not my style.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.38/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.92/5  rDev +1%

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.14/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.74/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is use motor oil black, very cool. The head is a very dark tan head. The aroma is full of malt and matches the appearance perfectly. The flavor is creamy roasted malt, a fantastic flavor. Overall, an outstanding beer.

3.44/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.26/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.83/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.71/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: The beer pours a thick dark, comprable to the classic stout color, with a beautiful finger of dark amber head. I poured it into a Stella Chalice. The head dissipates to a lining after a couple minutes . I was expecting for a more violent head, so I poured the beer into a cold cup.

Smell: The smell is predominantly bread, I notice a hint of caramel, yeast, chocolate, and maybe a slight touch of burnt coffee. a little vanilla and chocolate hints as well. Yeast smell is present. The smell is nothing special, and after encountering certain sour's I consider this to be a good thing. (note: I'm about 1/4 the way through this cup and the ethyl acetate and ethanol smells are already becoming more prevalent.)

Taste: First sip I really notice the lactose, I consume a lot of dairy products when I'm not drinking beer so the taste is all too familiar. This taste is sweet and "creamy," (in the classical milk sugar manner) but doesn't make a significant impression over the crisp roasted malts. The stout taste is more prevalent and often I feel stouts need very POWERFUL flavors to be paired with, lactose is not one of them. There is a hint of dark chocolate and coffee, which are great flavors to be paired with. Halfway through the glass and the pallet hasn't changed too much. There is a little more ethyl acetate present. There is also a fruity backbone that I can't quite put my finger on, I believe it is prune or dark cherry.

Mouthfeel: Now this is where the lactose is really put into action. This beer is exceptionally creamy and thick in the mouth. I think the lactose really makes this beer more refreshing in terms of mouthfeel. It's quite hard to articulate. There isn't an exceptional amount of carbination.

Overall:
I have a hard time justifying spending 11$ on a 6 pack of this when I could get a 12 pack of the black and tan for the same price. It tastes good but doesn't make the significant impression required for this beer to make it into my "buy again" list. I enjoyed Stone's Coffee Milk Stout more, along side Southern Tier's Creme Brulee and Sam Smiths Chocolate Stout. If I want a darker craft beer for a similar price I would probably end up going for Breckenridge brewery's Vanilla Porter, Or Yard's Love Stout which recently started coming in bottle form.
I hope this review was helpful. I plan on using 8oz of this milk stout for BBQ sauce, if people are interested in a recipe message me!

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Milk Stout from Lancaster Brewing Company